Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

One small step for teleportation

My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:30 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 11:30 PM #26 of 33
Originally Posted by Locke
My Dreams: Code making and breaking
Ah, thanks. Seems easy to understanding...
Originally Posted by FlamingScurve
Quantum cryptography relies on qubit representaion of information as opposed to traditional 1's and 0's. Not just that, but thanks to the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, you'll know right away if someone's messing with your communication. The reason quantum teleportation doesn't violate this principle is the "spooky action" of entanglement whereby the states of two particles are related despite their physical separation. Einstein resisted this notion because it wasn't in accordance to his idea that nothing can exceed the speed of light , not even gravity. But with entanglement, things happen seemingly instantaneously. Crazy shit.
... or maybe not so easy to understand. Hmmm... so qubit is stuff at a molecular level? I though Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle could only be applied to objects in motion and its supposed to say that one cannot measure accurately the momentum of a moving object or something along that line? How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle relate to telecommunications (or communications in this case as you've mentioned)?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
FlamingScurve
D'oh

Member 12518

Level 2.97

Sep 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:41 AM Local time: Oct 8, 2006, 09:41 PM #27 of 33
A subatomic particle might exist in two physical states with different energies. The probability of each outcome is described in a wavefunction that fluctuates over time and space. So in a sense there are intermediate states.

HUP states that the uncertainties in measurements of position and momentum for a given particle are inversely proportional (meaning that to know one accurately decreases the precision of the other). It's as if there's a collapse whenever you try to observe something. Take Schrödinger's cat... a cat is placed in a sealed box connected to a contraption designed to release a deadly poison with a 50/50 chance. As far as you know the cat is either dead or alive which is kind of like envisioning it as half dead and half alive at the same time (an intermediate state). As soon as you open the box, though, your vision collapses back into hard reality.

Add entanglement to the equation and you get a much higher level of privacy than you would given present-day cryptography. The way it works is that b/c of entanglement (via photons for instance), a message can be encoded in qubits and the recipient will receive a virtual copy of it with very little error. If a spy tries to decipher it, the error will increase and he will be detected. The information actually protects itself but feedback is necessary to confirm that no eavesdropping ocurred.

With teleportation, matter is encoded rather than messages. The orginal macromolecular object doesn't move in the process. Also, they have it at a fidelity of only 0.6, so it's far from perfect.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 02:06 AM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 12:06 AM #28 of 33
Wow, this is interesting. To be honest, though, I'm not all that interested in the possibilities of human teleportation, as much as I am interested in the possibilities of new forms of computing. As it is, we're hitting the ceiling in terms of processing power (we've already shifted from making our processors more powerful to putting more processors on a single chip; how long until we can't feasibly put more processors on a chip?), and this could revolutionize computers.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 04:58 AM #29 of 33
I don't really understand what they did either, but it sounds pretty cool.

I was speaking idiomatically.
My Dreams
Virtuosic Dreams ^_^

Member 1412

Level 21.48

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:02 AM Local time: Oct 21, 2006, 10:02 PM #30 of 33
Originally Posted by FlamingScurve
A subatomic particle might exist in two physical states with different energies. The probability of each outcome is described in a wavefunction that fluctuates over time and space. So in a sense there are intermediate states.

HUP states that the uncertainties in measurements of position and momentum for a given particle are inversely proportional (meaning that to know one accurately decreases the precision of the other). It's as if there's a collapse whenever you try to observe something. Take Schrödinger's cat... a cat is placed in a sealed box connected to a contraption designed to release a deadly poison with a 50/50 chance. As far as you know the cat is either dead or alive which is kind of like envisioning it as half dead and half alive at the same time (an intermediate state). As soon as you open the box, though, your vision collapses back into hard reality.

Add entanglement to the equation and you get a much higher level of privacy than you would given present-day cryptography. The way it works is that b/c of entanglement (via photons for instance), a message can be encoded in qubits and the recipient will receive a virtual copy of it with very little error. If a spy tries to decipher it, the error will increase and he will be detected. The information actually protects itself but feedback is necessary to confirm that no eavesdropping ocurred.

With teleportation, matter is encoded rather than messages. The orginal macromolecular object doesn't move in the process. Also, they have it at a fidelity of only 0.6, so it's far from perfect.
Hmmm... I don't get everything you said but yeah, I do have a better idea about HUP and all that jazz now. I like the idea of information protecting itself via proton transmission.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

ChocoJournal
The Link to the Chocojournal works now!
Transcriptions A new thread for transcriptions of all sorts.

"The man had a huge head. Like a pumpkin, really." - Godowskian on Shura Cherkassky
Loofy
Final Fantasty 13, Rules.

Member 11986

Level 2.62

Sep 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 09:46 AM #31 of 33
I Dont think it's possible, with the cells etc.
Lets just wait and see.

FELIPE NO
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:55 AM #32 of 33
Originally Posted by Loofy
I Dont think it's possible, with the cells etc.
Lets just wait and see.
It's not possible.

Think about it: when you teleport a living being, you would essentially kill it in one teleporter pod and take the information from that "zapping" to rebuild it in another teleportation pod.

Every time you teleport, you would technically die. A clone of yourself would emerge from the other side.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Oct 21, 2006, 10:58 AM #33 of 33
Originally Posted by Matt
It's not possible.

Think about it: when you teleport a living being, you would essentially kill it in one teleporter pod and take the information from that "zapping" to rebuild it in another teleportation pod.

Every time you teleport, you would technically die. A clone of yourself would emerge from the other side.
Agh, you just beat me to the punch.

Yeah, I would never support actual human teleportation, because it KILLS YOU.

[off-topic kinda]
I remember some kid's sci-fi book I read about 10 years ago where the way people traveled was by scanning their brain, then putting that data into a robot body at the destination while their human body was in stasis at the origin. Then when the vacation's over, they send back the data.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by JazzFlight; Oct 21, 2006 at 11:01 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > One small step for teleportation