Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Several problems

Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2007, 11:45 PM #1 of 9
Several problems

It won't work anymore. Meaning, I can't burn CDs and/or DVDs anymore. I get errors every time saying the burn failed. I tried loading a CDR full of music and it didn't even recognize that. I stuck in a music CD from the store and same thing, it doesn't read it. I seriously don't know what's wrong with this. I've run through the options for the drive, troubleshooted it, and the result is still the same. It's not a new drive because it came with the computer when I bought it a year ago.

Also, I get a Windows error every time I try to load a movie editing program onto my computer. I had one that was working fine, but the stupid Windows error happened.

I'm dying to know what I've done wrong. Please tell me before I sacrifice everything on my computer and do a system restore. I'm not even sure that'll solve either problem.

Most amazing jew boots
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 12:58 AM Local time: May 31, 2007, 10:58 PM #2 of 9
Well, if the drive is failing to read or write much of anything, odds are it's probably going dead and needs to be replaced. To check, however, if it is some software problem, try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver to see if it makes it work any better.

Regarding the error you get when installing your movie program, it would simplify matters to know exactly what the error says.

How ya doing, buddy?
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2007, 11:31 AM #3 of 9
I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the driver. I attempted to write a CDR and a DVDR and neither worked. Would a system restore help?

Here's the errors for the video programs:

I don't understand this at all. What have I done wrong?

How ya doing, buddy?
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 01:09 AM Local time: Jun 1, 2007, 11:09 PM #4 of 9
Oy. Unfortunately, those kinds of errors are so generic that it's almost impossible to tell what causes them. Common causes I've seen are remnents of registry files that are damaged/corrupt and aren't uninstalled with the program itself, virus infection, or even damage in the operating system. Do you get any similar errors when loading other programs?

Try performing a system restore back to before these problems occured. The kind you can undo within Windows, of course, not the sort that formats the hard drive. It might take care of both problems at once.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
elwitty
Unregistered User

Member 918

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 03:43 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 03:43 AM #5 of 9
Optic drive = Dead

How about programs that play video files, are they ok?

Have install any codec packs recently?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 05:47 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 06:47 PM #6 of 9
Anything in Event Viewer logs? (Application and System)

Start -> RUn -> eventvwr.msc

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:26 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 05:26 PM #7 of 9
I'm having a simillar problem here.

My dvd burner suddenly refuses to read burned cds and dvds altogether. What happens when I pop a disc in the drive is that it tries to read it (the light is on and you can hear that 'dunk' sound every other second as it, I guess, unsuccessfully attempts to read the disc) but then after a few tries it gives up and the drive is as if it was empty (to the computer). Sometimes there's also a 'squeeky' ish sound as it tries to read. As it stands, the only things it'll accept are authentic cds. And when reading from them it only does so at about 3X.

Drive should be about 3 years and I reckon I've burned about 400 or so discs in total. I guess it couldn't be anything but the laser. So would you guys say that it's pretty much done for, or what?

FELIPE NO
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 10:55 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 11:55 PM #8 of 9
Only way to find out for sure is to swap out the drive, and see if the problem is replicated on another computer, AND if the problem does not recur with a new drive on the same compu ter!

Most amazing jew boots
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Jun 2, 2007, 11:19 AM Local time: Jun 2, 2007, 06:19 PM #9 of 9
I don't see how it could be related to the computer though. The drive has been working fine up until yesterday. I was burning an RW, and as it was doing the lead-out the session failed. And it's been wonky since.

Anyways, I'll just get a new drive.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Several problems