Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Suikoden Club v7!

Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 02:06 AM #26 of 337
Originally Posted by Enkidu
I really didn't like IV, it just didn't have an epic feeling like I, II, and to a certain extent III had. Tactics is a huge improvement IMO, since the beginning already manages to create a much more exciting world with the pirates and all. I'm not that far yet, but I have high hopes, although the battles can be fairly hard if you want to get Rank S for some cool items.
After a slow start--I actually liked IV. Sorry, but I did. Mainly because of the major battles. I liked that--and Rita-Pon!

But--let me ask about the ranks. I don't have Tactics yet, so are they anything like III's?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Leknaat; Mar 6, 2006 at 04:40 AM.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 05:56 AM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:56 PM #27 of 337
Ranks are ratings you get after the battles. S rank is the highest, and it's only rewarded when you do really good in battle (I only got it a few times myself). you can get some of the mst powerful items in the game by achieving S; or a bunch of medals which raise stats for lower ranks.

The skill system as seen in III also makes a return. After a battle, the entire battle gains skill points, and you can distribute them among your members. The skills can be rather useful, like a bigger moving range, or more attacks.

I have to agree with you on Rita-pon, that game was pretty damn addicting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:07 PM #28 of 337
Ranks are ratings you get after the battles. S rank is the highest, and it's only rewarded when you do really good in battle (I only got it a few times myself). you can get some of the mst powerful items in the game by achieving S; or a bunch of medals which raise stats for lower ranks.

The skill system as seen in III also makes a return. After a battle, the entire battle gains skill points, and you can distribute them among your members. The skills can be rather useful, like a bigger moving range, or more attacks.

I have to agree with you on Rita-pon, that game was pretty damn addicting.
Sweet. I liked the skill system in III. Bigger moving range? Like IV's modification of the ships for greater cannon range? Sounds interesting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Leknaat; Mar 6, 2006 at 04:41 AM.
yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 5, 2006, 03:52 PM Local time: Mar 5, 2006, 12:52 PM #29 of 337
The only problem I have with Suikoden 5 is it's loading time is painful... other than that, the game is a true gem with a lot of similarities to 1 and 2.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:41 AM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 02:41 PM #30 of 337
I don't really remember the bigger cannon range in IV, mostly because naval battles where boring, and didn't you need some rare items for that? The skills I've found out up until this point that could be or interest are attack increasing skills, extra move/jump, treasure hunting for a specific character, and magic improving ones. I'm a bit disappointed with the magic though, effects are bland and it's really not that useful to use a spell for 60 damage when the same character can do 100+ with a normal attack.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kalekkan
Chocobo

Member 697

Level 11.22

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:10 PM #31 of 337
Argh, Rita-pon was EVIL >.<

I tried playing that game to earn some potch but it never worked out. Any money-making tips for Suikoden 4 anyone?

FELIPE NO
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:16 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:16 PM #32 of 337
When you get a high enough level, you can use the Slash rune on almost any enemy. I usually go for the giant crab on the deserted island, and it gave me enough money in a good hour to get most of the important character's weapon's to max level. If your level isn't high enough, just train with the guy aboard your ship.

Most amazing jew boots
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:55 AM #33 of 337
When you get a high enough level, you can use the Slash rune on almost any enemy. I usually go for the giant crab on the deserted island, and it gave me enough money in a good hour to get most of the important character's weapon's to max level. If your level isn't high enough, just train with the guy aboard your ship.
I thought that was one of the best ideas in Suikoden. Instead of trying to remember where the tough enemies were, you could level up without ever leaving home--and see the fighting styles of your people to decide who to use.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 05:23 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:23 PM #34 of 337
But it was also a rather cheap way, because iirc you couldn't get a game over if you lost a battle with Reinhold, so you basically didn't have any challenge. It was nice to check out the various characters though, helped me to balance out my party for a bit.

Moi
With the Killer Smile

Member 2325

Level 1.02

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:10 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 04:10 PM #35 of 337
Hey guys, new here to GFF. I was just wondering if any of you would be willing to sell their copy of Suikoden I and II. I'd pay a good price for it e.g. $150 for both? I live in Australia and so yeah, it has to be a PAL version of the game. PM me if you're interested.

By the way, is it true that they are releasing the first 2 series on psp?

How ya doing, buddy?
Casaubon
Shocking

Member 539

Level 14.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 01:33 AM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 11:33 PM #36 of 337
They are releasing Suikoden 1&2 for PSP but only in Japan.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 04:01 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 11:01 AM #37 of 337
Are those ports released yet btw? I'm still interested in seeing how what they changed exactly, since I heard that it wasn't a direct port.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2006, 05:14 AM Local time: Mar 9, 2006, 03:14 AM #38 of 337
It was released on the 23rd last month, along with V.

All they did was put more onscreen at once to make use of the widescreen format of the PSP. I heard some dungeons were tweaked a little because of that, but that's about it.

RunemasterJeane
Does this outfit make my boobs look big?

Member 407

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 10:57 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:57 AM #39 of 337
I am really hoping that the ship date on EBGames is right, because if so Konami got smart and pushed the date up a week. Good idea I think, because it would have gotten completely overshadowed by KH2. *sigh* Damn game companies are breaking me this month(getting Shadow Hearts next week, Suikoden V the week after that(if that date is right), and KH2 the week after that).

On a somewhat related note, I'm listening to the Suikoden V rip and I am LOVING it!! If the music is this good, I cannot wait to see if the game is just as good.

FELIPE NO
Kamui
The Magician

Member 1165

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:03 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 10:03 AM #40 of 337
I've only played the first Suikoden back on the PSX. Got to the point where I was fighting the King (think he transformed into a Golden Dragon?).

But the game got scratched bad and it's been years since I played it. Anyone care to tell me the end in spoiler form?

Also, do the following Suikoden pursue the story or are they spinoff? Worth playing (I did enjoy the first one really).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 06:22 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:22 PM #41 of 337
Kamui:
Spoiler:
iirc, Mindy, Leknaat's evil sister shows up, and she tries to overpower your party (you don't really fight her, the Golden Dragon fight is the last actual battle you fight), but Barbarossa (the king) uses his last strength to grab her, and he jumps off the top of the palace with her, most likely killing her in the process, although some people doub it.

I'm not sure as to what happened to the hero, but I know that Lepant becomes the new king of the Scarlet Moon Empire. Maybe someone else can elaborate on this, or you may want to check out suikosource, although it contains spoilers for all the games

Suikoden II is DEFINITELY worth playing, one of my personal favourites. It has some hints and returning characters in relation to I, but you can play it without that since you practically finished the first game.

Most Suikodens can be seen as standalone games, but they are all part of some bigger story around the True Runes. It'sa pretty huge universe.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:26 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:26 PM #42 of 337
Good lord, you butchered that.

Her name is Windy, the boss is the Golden Hydra, their status went from "deceased" to "missing" (causing the doubt), and Lepant became the president of Toran. They overthrew the Empire and put in a Republic.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:09 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2006, 02:09 AM #43 of 337
Hey, it's been 3 or 4 years since I last played the game, of course I forgot a ton of stuff. Is it officially called the Toran Republic, because in III and Tactics they surely mentioned the Scarlet Moon Empire (I know Tactics is a prequel, but III can't be because of Luc).

Most amazing jew boots
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 07:30 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 05:30 PM #44 of 337
Suikoden III, in the one or two times it mentions it, refers to it as Toran (you may be thinking of the Dunan Republic being referred to as Jowston, due to the history book). As for Tactics, it's like you said-- it's a prequel, so it hasn't been overthrown yet.

If you've played III, you might remember when Sheena throws out the idea to meet Lepant, seeing as he's the president. Then Freed spazzes out, saying Toran is just the new face of the Scarlet Moon Empire and should still be their bitter enemy.

Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 04:04 AM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 11:04 AM #45 of 337
Maybe I confused it with that, thanks for the reminder.

As for my status on Tactics, I'm currently just before the battle in Haruna, where you have to save some mage. The game can get incredibly frustrating sometimes, especially in the Ruins of Obel. The fifth level is incredibly hard if you get unlucky with the number of Golems, and the wrong elements on characters. I've spent hours on getting through it, only to be kicked out, and it seems that I have to start from the beginning again. It's still a higly enjoyable game though, and it was rather rewarding when I finally got past that level.

Most amazing jew boots
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 05:34 AM #46 of 337
Originally Posted by RunemasterJeane
I am really hoping that the ship date on EBGames is right, because if so Konami got smart and pushed the date up a week. Good idea I think, because it would have gotten completely overshadowed by KH2. *sigh* Damn game companies are breaking me this month(getting Shadow Hearts next week, Suikoden V the week after that(if that date is right), and KH2 the week after that).

On a somewhat related note, I'm listening to the Suikoden V rip and I am LOVING it!! If the music is this good, I cannot wait to see if the game is just as good.
Ona a somewhat related note:

JEANE!

*POUNCE*

RunemasterJeane
Does this outfit make my boobs look big?

Member 407

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM Local time: Mar 13, 2006, 09:21 PM #47 of 337
LEKKY MY LOVE!

The lost Atreides siblings are together again! I forget, am I Bubba or Gunther?
(To all that are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, don't ask, ya don't wanna know )

FELIPE NO
Leknaat
Evil

Member 137

Level 34.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 10:14 PM #48 of 337
LEKKY MY LOVE!

(To all that are wondering what the hell I'm talking about, don't ask, ya don't wanna know )
God--I was going to write "Bubba and Gunther together again." too. That's freaky....

I can't remember who was who. I think I was Bubba since I live in Ohio...LOL

And to paraphrase Jeane--"You don't wanna know."

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 13, 2006, 11:32 PM #49 of 337
LEKKY MY LOVE!

I miss you guy's signatures done with the runes of the suikoden games. Some of those were great.

So it says here the game comes out on 3/21/06. Thats good, I havent been following this game like I did IV. It seems like it took a longer wait for IV (from when III came out) then it does with V. Word on if theres actually a castle? Or does the group travel in a big wagon that magically gets bigger with the more people you get? (Cmon the whole ship homebase was stupid)

Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:14 AM #50 of 337
Your permanent base is an upgradable area in some Sindar Ruins. Your first base (which you don't have for too long) is on a ship, though.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Suikoden Club v7!