Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with movie-makers today?

Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 08:48 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 06:48 PM #1 of 23
Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with movie-makers today?

I don't know if you've seen this trailer yet, but this is absolute dog shit. Pun intended. It's for the upcoming movie "Underdog," which is a cartoon to movie translation of my favorite cartoon as a child.

Just by watching the trailer, they absolutely butchered it. They "modernized" it to the point where it's ridiculous. Underdog was a far different character than they make him out to be in those trailers. He was umm... I don't know, maybe more mature? Cheesy, even?

Here's an episode of Underdog for those of you that aren't familiar with the old cartoon.

YouTube Video

The same is happening to Alvin and the Chipmunks, it's ridiculous.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 10:17 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 07:17 PM #2 of 23
You're acting as if there was a way for them NOT to butcher an Underdog movie, which wouldn't work unless it was animated and updated somehow to appeal to a larger audience.

You're also acting like you'd waste your money on an Underdog or Alvin and the Chipmunks movie no matter how it was made, which is all kinds of fail that I don't even wanna touch any further.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:09 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 10:09 PM #3 of 23
Point taken. Anyone who knows anything about Underdog would not be interested in this film, period. So why even dig the property's rotting corpse from the grave and slap CGI on it? Why not just make a film about a dog with super powers and call it something like "Mighty Dog" with a pet-food industry tie-in for good measure?

On the other hand, a film like this: http://www.fandango.com/interview_v+...source=bm_cast where Buscemi even uses some of the crew that filmed the original with the original director, is exactly the opposite approach.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by speculative; Jul 16, 2007 at 12:11 AM. Reason: Horrible spelling mistakes...
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 15, 2007, 11:52 PM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 09:52 PM #4 of 23
I'd like to know what is it with people claiming that their childhood has been 'raped' by the movie industry or any other big industry that takes a made for profit property and bring it to the modern age.

If you're taking the modern images of say Underdog and infusing it with your childhood memories, that's your fault. Not saying you are, just giving an example.

Besides, Underdog sucked to begin with it. A lot of children's cartoons are like that when you remember them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 12:15 AM Local time: Jul 15, 2007, 11:15 PM #5 of 23
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see that in the original post. Underdog wasn't even from my childhood, it would have been from my parent's generation. But as someone who has seen at least one episode I can tell the schlock they're peddling has zero to do with the original IP. Zero.

Now, on the other hand, in the same set of trailers today I saw a trailer for a new "Get Smart" film starring Steve Carrell. Sure, it's going to be "different" than the original. But did it have the same intent, tone, and feeling? Yes, down to a tee.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 06:13 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 04:13 AM #6 of 23
Looks like another cheap cash-in on childhood memories. I wouldn't even bother the bandwidth to pirate that movie. However, I can see it now: A wave of 1960s-1970s cartoon remakes surges with the inevitable success of this movie.

- The Wayans Brothers continue their "Midget Comedy" assault with "Inch", the story of a one inch tall black private eye solving cases in the ghettos of LA,
where he constantly is at odds with the Reitrement-around-the-corner Police Chief Fink, played by Martin Lawrence.

- This next one may actually happen: Steve Martin is poised to star as George Jetson, with Danny Devito as Mr. Spacely.
With an update look and cutting edge CG, the far off year of 2102 never looked so appealing. [/sarcasm]

I could go on, but its clear Hollywood is dreadfully out of ideas. Perhaps they should hold an idea-a-thon. Worked well for pooling new talent into music (American Idol). Call it "American Ideas" or something =\

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Jul 16, 2007, 11:55 AM Local time: Jul 16, 2007, 06:55 PM #7 of 23
I'd actually like to see a live action Two Stupid Dogs... (But not Secret Squirrel :/ )

Most amazing jew boots

acid
Fighting For Freedom Wherever There's Trouble

Member 643

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:36 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 05:36 PM #8 of 23
I love the idea that there are grown men who are actually such big fans of Underdog as to get bent out of shape when they make it into a CHILDREN'S MOVIE.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

GI Joe is the codename for America's highly trained special mission force. Its purpose: to defend human freedom against COBRA. A ruthless terrorist organization determined to rule the world.

24 can't jump the shark. Jack Bauer ate the shark long ago. Now 24 can only jump the water, and that doesn't mean anything. - Jazzflight
<Krizzzopolis> acid you are made of win.
<Dissolution> And now my god damn scissors are all milky
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 06:39 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 04:39 PM #9 of 23
Let's not be too generous now.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 07:04 PM #10 of 23
Name an 80s TV cartoon that hasn't been turned into an awful movie.

Then name 4 more.

Good luck.

Seriously, here's a list of 80s cartoons that have been or will soon be absolutely ruined, to whit:

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Fat Albert
The Flintstones
Fraggle Rock
Garfield
Godzilla
The Incredible Hulk
Inspector Gadget
The Jetsons
The Little Rascals (this was redone, in case you forgot)
Scooby Doo
Transformers
Underdog

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Dopefish; Jul 19, 2007 at 07:17 PM.
Striat Cougar
Banned

Member 23316

Level 2.86

Jul 2007

Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:06 PM #11 of 23
The fact is that they're running out of ideas obviously cause half of the movies that you think and should be a great movie they've rushed through it, what of waste of time. Meaning they aren't puttting they're minds to like transformers that was a good movie. Now tell movies compare to that...through the past 3 years? Adding to the list above (Minus transfomers)

Last edited by Striat Cougar; Jul 19, 2007 at 08:30 PM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 08:21 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 07:21 PM #12 of 23
The fact is that they're running out of ideas obviously cause half of the movie that you think and should be a great movie they've rushed through it, what of waste of time.
What?

Can you please speak English, as I'm having serious trouble translating from retard.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:05 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 10:05 PM #13 of 23
Name an 80s TV cartoon that hasn't been turned into an awful movie.

Then name 4 more.

Good luck.

Seriously, here's a list of 80s cartoons that have been or will soon be absolutely ruined, to whit:

Alvin and the Chipmunks
Fat Albert
The Flintstones
Godzilla
The Incredible Hulk
The Jetsons
The Little Rascals (this was redone, in case you forgot)
Scooby Doo
Underdog
Those all predate the 80s. Seriously try harder with that list.

As long as it'll make money, they'll do it. If Transformers didn't suceed, then there won't be as many franchise relaunches or franchise updates.

I was speaking idiomatically.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:40 AM 1 #14 of 23
What?

Can you please speak English, as I'm having serious trouble translating from retard.
You're just having trouble making out his words because he's going by SO FAST

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 12:46 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 12:46 AM #15 of 23
Anyone else out there want a live action Captain Planet movie?

I can't be the only one.

FELIPE NO
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:51 AM #16 of 23
Those all predate the 80s.
http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/index.html

If it came from a list on the Internet, it must be true.

How ya doing, buddy?

Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:02 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 08:02 AM 1 #17 of 23
http://www.80scartoons.net/toons/index.html

If it came from a list on the Internet, it must be true.
Just because they were aired in the 80's doesn't mean that they were from the 80's.

Man, M*A*S*H is my favorite TV show from 2007!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Zurui chibi
Your next ex-girlfriend

Member 20289

Level 3.31

Feb 2007

Old Jul 20, 2007, 08:13 AM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 06:13 AM #18 of 23
But don't they butcher everything they remake?

They have to. It's not good, but if a crappy movie is going to make any money, it has to appeal to modern times. Not only that, crappy "OMG! they ruined the show from my childhood!" reviews gets people to see it because they're curious about how bad it could really be.

Underdog isn't from my generation, but I did find the episodes and shorts that I have seen to be entertaining. It's a shame they had to pull this one from the cartoon dustbin and butcher it.

How do they sleep at night?! Oh, in expensive beds...nvm...

Most amazing jew boots
Boys don't make passes at female smart asses.
dagget
Spoot

Member 72

Level 36.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 04:57 PM #19 of 23
I saw the trailer for it when I saw Fantasic Four and I groaned in displeasure. I always figured that they were going to do the entire series of cartoons the same way of Rocky and Bullwinkle (which wasn't really an awful movie to begin with) or perhaps the Dudley Do-Right and George of the Jungle movies. Maybe if Underdog wasn't a beagle or they would have gotten someone to remotely sound like Wally Cox, but I know how you feel Divest. I just felt.. I dunno, like I died a little inside. Especially since kids will see this and then if the series is brought back for a limited time "THIS ISNT UNDERDOG!"

I actually weep to think about Sherman and Peabody (that movie was announced long ago, around the same time as this) or a Tennessee Tuxedo movie.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2007, 06:57 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2007, 06:57 PM #20 of 23
Shouldn't the question be targeted at audiences? Movie studios will continue to make all kinds of total shit as long as people see the movies in droves.
Well, that's honestly why I kind of like Disney when they release a movie or something to that extent.

Take The Lion King for example. That movie was one of the highest money makes for disney, and being the smart company that they are, knew deep down they could cash in on its success with sequels, but, they also knew that they would never be able to reproduce the success that the first film achieved.

So in essence, they decided that every Lion King made after would be straight to video, so that only true, die hard Lion King fans would buy it and watch it. They weren't going to black ball themselves into a large population saying "OH shit, this movie was nothing like the first."

Same could be said for a lot of cartoons that were made into movies. Companies go in thinking that the movie will be top grossing, I.E this Underdog movie, however, they never thought to how well it would be recieved by fans of the original cartoon, thus, this movie will tank.

Most amazing jew boots
Striat Cougar
Banned

Member 23316

Level 2.86

Jul 2007

Old Jul 20, 2007, 07:10 PM #21 of 23
Shouldn't the question be targeted at audiences? Movie studios will continue to make all kinds of total shit
Yes it should, and as I said they are running out of ideas for movies,and so they are targeting little chlidrein shows so kids can beg their parents to take them or their siblilings like ninja turtles, I had to take my cousin to that! It was crap! What a waste of time.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2007, 04:27 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2007, 02:27 AM #22 of 23
Man, M*A*S*H is my favorite TV show from 2007!
They just want to ensure that the TV show goes on as long as the Korean War does.

And... Sherman & Mr. Peabody? Oh man... only way this movie would NOT suck completely is if they animated Mr. Peabody and left Sherman in Live-Action (Ala Roger Rabbit or Cool World)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Seriously, what the fuck is wrong with movie-makers today?