Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] camping for a wii

Bredow
Banned

Member 2835

Level 10.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 01:32 PM #1 of 40
camping for a wii

So me and my friend really want wii's, on opening day.....but we have no preorder

what should we do?

we are thinking of camping target for the night....from closing the day before to opening the day of the wii..... how do you think that will go?

Do you think people will be camping before that, like I've heard the lines are like for the ps3? or do you think a day ahead of time will be enough?

and I've never camped before, what are some reccomendations for people who have? games or food or whatever, what works well and what doesn't

thanks a lot guys

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:01 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 08:01 AM #2 of 40
First of all, wrong catagory. This is General Discussion. Second of all, wrong forum entirely. This isn't GameFAQs.

Nobody's going to care if you have a Wii on it's launch, so just wait it out. Being impatient over consoles is stupid.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Leveless
Banned

Member 15214

Level 4.94

Nov 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:04 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 11:04 AM #3 of 40
The first thing you should know about camping is that it’s considered foul play. It brings gameplay dynamics to a halt by adversely affecting the extent of tactical options. But since there won’t be any FPS’s worth playing on Wii, this will have no bearing on the giddy drooling over jumping on things. Carry on. Don’t forget your talking toaster.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Leveless; Nov 10, 2006 at 04:02 PM.
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 12:11 PM #4 of 40
Wii! Camping out for a wii does sound a bit silly. With the amount of wiis that are being produced you probably would be able to walk in and grab one the first hour or two of opening. Heck, I remember when I picked up a Nintendo DS no problem around 8PM on the day of launch. Of course the wii is probably more hyped than the DS was too.

But you could camp out the night before if you really want to. You wouldn't look as stupid as those 7 people camping outside a bestbuy for ps3 10 days before the release date!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 02:15 PM #5 of 40
Originally Posted by Leveless
The first thing you should know about camping is that it’s considered foul play. It brings gameplay dynamics to a halt by adversely affecting the extent of tactical options. But since there won’t be any FPS’s worth playing on Wii, this will have no bearing giddy drooling over jumping on things. Carry on. Don’t forget your talking toaster.
Welcome to GFF. Now get out, as your trolling is no good here.

OP: I pre-ordered and I'm camping out (probably only 12 hours in advance) because there will be a bunch of people there and playing DS and snacking sounds fun. If you want to be sure you'll get one, and want to bring some stuff to do with other people, go for it, make it an event.

I was speaking idiomatically.
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 04:59 PM #6 of 40
I have no intention to camp for a Wii, nor have I ever camped for a console before, but I hope to pick up a Wii on launch. Maybe line up for a midnight launch or pick it up at opening.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:18 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 10:18 AM #7 of 40
I wouldn't take any chances. If you want one at launch you have to be prepared to do what it takes, and it'd definately be worth it, imagine sitting at home the next day without a Wii. I'm lucky I got a pre-order in.

A day ahead of time should be enough to get one, there's a chance 1 or 2 people could be before you but unless the store only gets 2 Wiis (not happening) it wont matter. Bring a DS or something and time will fly by. Also be prepared to give up your space in the line if you need to go piss, unless the other people there are really nice.

FELIPE NO
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 07:44 PM #8 of 40
I'll be near Destin, Florida on release day, and I checked the Wii locator thingy. Tons of stores around, with the minimum shipment being 25, I think. All the Targets are getting 39. Apparently the Best Buys are getting 96, which is ridiculous, but if it's true that's very good for me.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 08:44 PM Local time: Nov 11, 2006, 02:44 AM #9 of 40
Ya know, there was never a console in the history of gaming that I wanted enough to giive up a night in bed for. The Wii is no different. Especially considering that there's no guarantee that you will get one.

I almost camped out for a GameCube, since the local game store opened at midnight, so it wouldn't have been too bad. Then I just realized that I had a ton of other games to play already, so I might as well just leave it. I eventually got one, about a month after launch.

Nintendo is the company I come closest to being a fanboy for, and Mario the franchise that delights me the most. That makes Wii the console I'm probably most excited about, but since the new Mario game isn't a launch title, I can wait.

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 11:07 PM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 10:07 PM #10 of 40
Originally Posted by Soluzar
I almost camped out for a GameCube, since the local game store opened at midnight, so it wouldn't have been too bad. Then I just realized that I had a ton of other games to play already, so I might as well just leave it. I eventually got one, about a month after launch.
+1 It's not like I won't have any games to play if I don't get a Wii on launch day. I would kind of like to wait and see what Costco puts out for a bundle here locally. Sometimes their bundles are way overpriced, but sometimes they are underpriced.

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
DarthSavior
PUT YA GUNS ON

Member 188

Level 12.90

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:00 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 07:00 AM #11 of 40
I had the foresight to reserve my system. One release day, I'll just walk in, pick up my stuff, walk out. Simple! No sleep lost, no acting like a fool in line having my picture taken by the press or anyone doing any kind of reporting.

If you do wait in line, just bring stuff that will keep you occupied (i.e. a DS), some damn deodorant, easy fold chair, and umbrella (in the event of rain) and someone to bring you food.

DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:11 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 10:11 AM #12 of 40
I don't really plan on camping for the Wii, i'm just gonna wake up and see
what's up~ If i don't get it, it's all gravy ^_^ There's still a lot of games
i need to finish up anywho.

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:58 PM #13 of 40
I think I'm just going to hope that I can casually walk in and pick one up on the day of launch instead of camping. Supply should be more than enough, especially for a suburban area where I live.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:07 PM #14 of 40
I'm hoping to do the same. There are a lot of stores in the area, so with any luck I'll just be able to pick and choose. Maybe drive around an hour before hand and see if the lines are reasonable.

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 05:53 PM #15 of 40
I'm definately planning to camp out. Even if it's likely that there's enough for a walk-in purchase, I don't wanna take any chances. Besides, if you do it with friends and come with the right preperations and supplies, it can actually be kinda fun! The massive line of WiFi DS orgy going on there should be enough to make time fly by.

FELIPE NO
HostileCreation
Chocobo

Member 3335

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 09:27 PM #16 of 40
I won't be able to do it with friends, that's the thing, otherwise I would. I'll be in Florida with my family, and not wanting to sit alone and bored while I wait.

RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:22 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 12:22 AM #17 of 40
I cleverly managed to pre-order in Perth not realising that I would be 300 kilometres away come launch day.

I'm prepared to make the a.m. drive.

Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 11:39 AM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 09:39 AM #18 of 40
Cache and I will camp out overnight even though we have our Wii's pre-ordered only to get it and get home ASAP. He's going to be calling the local EB today to check to see if they might even be doing a midnight release which would make camping less necessary (at least overnight camping... day camping is another story). Hopefully we'll have our answers today so I can plan accordingly (need to do my turkey shopping on Saturday too)...

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 12:05 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 11:05 AM #19 of 40
I'm going with a roomie of mine to pick up a Wii that he preordered at GameStop. I have the 32" LCD HDTV and he'll have the Wii . It's a good trade off. I'm excited for it and if he wasn't buying the Wii, I suppose I would be getting one anyway. I really hope they have component cables available in store on Sunday... Or I will be pissed.

~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 03:03 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 01:03 PM #20 of 40
I'm still considering camping out for the Wii, not really out of necessity since I realize there's many chances to walk in on say, November 20 (there are dates after November 19? HOLY SHIT!), and grab one then. I'm doing it more so just for the experience. I'm still working out logistics and stuff for it, but a group of 4 or 5 of my friends camping out in front of a Best Buy or Wal-mart should be legendary memorable fun.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Zyzex
dicks

Member 15142

Level 6.82

Nov 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:25 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 01:25 PM #21 of 40
Meh, after learning about the massive supply the local stores will have in my area, I've deamed it pointless to even do as such. But I might stop by Best Buy to see if anyone is waiting for one at all. I'm expecting maybe 5, tops.

Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:34 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 02:34 PM #22 of 40
ok... word out of our local EB is that for those who pre-ordered the Wii, there will be a midnight release. For all others... they must wait until opening the next morning.

Guess where I will be at midnight? Picking up my Wii... and then rushing home to set it all up... ^_^

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 04:41 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 02:41 PM #23 of 40
My local Gamestop is doing a midnight release for those that pre-ordered as well. It'll be nice to meet up with that group again. Unlike the PS3 line, which consisted of rude scalpers, the Wii-pre-order line was full of nerdy gamers and 3 silent fat people. We spent the whole time we waited talking about different RPGs and other nerdy stuff.

I'll either be playing Monkey Ball with my friends or playing Zelda all night.

FELIPE NO
Niekon
WHY?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Member 52

Level 19.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 03:22 PM #24 of 40
I really wish I had those kinds of people in our line. Several of the people in line with us were talking about reselling their Wii's on eBay. Only a few of the folks in line were actually keeping the Wii for themselves *cry*
Now to figure out what time I'm going to show up at EB for the midnight release ^_^

The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 15, 2006, 05:52 PM Local time: Nov 15, 2006, 03:52 PM #25 of 40
My brother-in-law preordered a Wii from Toys R' Us this Sunday, and they're having a midnight release. So, he's having a Wii party at his house and inviting me and a bunch of friend along to play it.

I preordered from a different store though, and they're not opening until 9 in the morning. Oh well...

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] camping for a wii