Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Software to stream music on demand

eli2k
Carob Nut

Member 3381

Level 5.51

Mar 2006

Old Jun 12, 2007, 09:00 PM #1 of 3
Question Software to stream music on demand

Hey,

I'm looking for some sort of software I can run on a WinXP machine that will let me stream music files on demand. I was using Shoutcast to stream with Winamp and remotely controlling Winamp, but there is this 30 second lag between changing songs due to the buffering.

I was also using the ml_www plugin. This lets me pick a song and stream it immediately, but the only problem is the plugin is no longer in development and the interface is somewhat limited.

So my question is does anyone have any recommendations of alternative things I can try?

Thanks,
- Eli

How ya doing, buddy?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 10:05 AM Local time: Jun 13, 2007, 09:05 AM #2 of 3
The only thing that springs to mind immediately is VLC, which I know supports a slew of streaming functions. Whether it can do on-demand streaming of random files, though, I do not know.

I know CenterStage and BackStage have that functionality, but you'd need to be running 2 Macs, which probably isn't much help in your case.

I'd look up "media backend servers" or something to that effect on Google. You might find something to build an iTunes-esque database of your music files and then a companion frontend to stream them, or even better, a backend that works with standard protocols.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
Bloggs
Gold Chocobo

Member 501

Level 30.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 13, 2007, 07:19 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2007, 12:19 AM #3 of 3
I use Windows Media Encoder: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/default.mspx

All you need to do is once installed click on wmenc, Broadcast a Live Event, Pull From The Encoder, Check a Suitable Bitrate and You're done!

With this tool you can even use a webcam if you wanted a real live effect. I hope this works for you.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Software to stream music on demand