Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Speed Reading and the ACT

jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 10:37 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 09:37 PM #1 of 14
Speed Reading and the ACT

Yo, I'm gonna take the ACT next year. A person in our class got a 35 on the reading and I didn't know what to say. I need practice. I read a book on speed reading, but I just seem to have a limit.

Any tips on doing the reading part of the ACT? Is there a technique? Do people even read the excerts? or just look up the answers?
Post your scores too!

Joseph

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 10:41 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 09:41 PM #2 of 14
I scored a 33 on the reading portion and all I did was read each excerpt, then answered the questions. If I was unsure about the answer for a question, I referred back to the text. If you just tried to go straight to the question without reading first, you may have difficulty with contextual questions {if they even have those, it was like 8 years ago when I took the ACT}. It was pretty easy.

Also, it would be a good idea for you to take the ACT multiple times, even if you do well the first time. This way you get a feel for how each section is and you can better prepare yourself for subsequent tries {if you choose to do any actual preparation. I did not. I just showed up on time and proceded to earn myself scholarships}.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.

Last edited by russ; May 3, 2006 at 10:44 PM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 10:47 PM #3 of 14
I don't know if speed reading will help you. It's not so much how fast you can read but how well you can comprehend. I finished the sections on my SAT (I realize it's not the same as the ACT, but still) and didn't have to rush, I don't think that reading faster would have increased my score.

Honestly I don't like being scored on stuff like that since certain things can be open to interepretation.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 10:48 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 08:48 PM #4 of 14
WRONG. Everything can be quantified. Just ask College Board.

How ya doing, buddy?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:17 PM #5 of 14
I just skim most of it and then go to the questions. I answer the questions I can and reread parts of the passage thoroughly in order to find the answer to more contextual questions.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:35 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:35 PM #6 of 14
My practice habits for the SAT were to read through the questions quickly to get a feel of what to look for. Then when you read the passage, some buzz words you remember may pop up and help you answer the question.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old May 3, 2006, 11:52 PM Local time: May 3, 2006, 10:52 PM #7 of 14
What you could also do is while you read, underline parts of the text that seem important. It helped me a lot in referring back while answering the questions

FELIPE NO
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 01:51 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:51 PM #8 of 14
I'm not sure why you're asking this, speed reading has nothing to do with test taking. Unless you're some impossibly agonizingly slow reader, you should plenty of time because it's more about comprehension rather than how fast you can finish the passage.

One time I had while taking the SATs was read the questions first, then go back and read the passage. That way, you know what to look for when you're reading and what to focus on

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 01:56 AM Local time: May 3, 2006, 11:56 PM #9 of 14
Don't forget that this test isn't important. It's just going to decide what you'll do for the rest of your life.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 03:20 PM #10 of 14
First off, you really should read the passages. The only time I got away with completely skipping passages was on the graphical analysis questions in the the science portion of the test, but of course, that a different topic.

When reading the passages, don't try to pick up each and every detail. If possible, try to read at a normal pace. By giving the passages a cursory glance, you'll miss a lot, but by staring down each and every word, you're just taking up more time than you really need to. As you're reading, you may find it helpful to underline important parts, but remember not to overdo it. You may also want to keep an eye out for the style and tone of the passage as well. If you quickly skimmed the questions, you might have a better idea of what you need to pay more attention to.

One of the things that really hurt me in past experiences was the fact that I spent too much time on the questions. It's best to move on and then go back and answer what you couldn't figure out earlier. That way, you can spend more time thinking without missing out on easier questions that you could have answered had you finished the test.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 03:24 PM #11 of 14
I never understood this whole "I am preparing for my ACT/SAT."

Of course, I didn't bother taking the goddamned test until I was well out of high school. I had to go BACK and take the thing to get into college about 5 years ago.

I scored well. I forget the exact scores, but I remember being impressed with myself, considering I had been out of school for a while.

Why can't you just approach these passages like you would any OTHER reading? If you put yourself under a lot of pressure to SPEED THROUGH, you're probably going to do a lot worse. Of course, this is only MY theory, and its how I try to approach most things.

These passages aren't like huge chapters of "how to install a stereo." It's pretty simple, mundane passages. Do you people REALLY feel the need to STUDY for that? =/

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
jsphweid
Chocobo

Member 691

Level 10.88

Mar 2006

Old May 4, 2006, 07:12 PM Local time: May 4, 2006, 06:12 PM #12 of 14
If I read through the passages and answer all the questions, I start the 3rd out of the 4 passages and boom, time's out. I hate reading slow! Sure, if I do happen to get those quesitons right that's only half! Any tips on the other parts?
Joseph

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
elwe
Hippos and Gelatin

Member 1354

Level 22.29

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 03:22 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 03:22 PM #13 of 14
Originally Posted by Sassafrass

Why can't you just approach these passages like you would any OTHER reading? If you put yourself under a lot of pressure to SPEED THROUGH, you're probably going to do a lot worse. Of course, this is only MY theory, and its how I try to approach most things.
I learned that pretty early on, as I found out that I was actually wasting more time speeding through the passage. Yeah, I got through the passages, but I ended up having to go back to them and re-reading them over again anyways due to the fact that I barely picked up anything during my quick read.

I was speaking idiomatically.
mistershow
Carob Nut

Member 6540

Level 4.22

May 2006

Old May 10, 2006, 12:35 PM #14 of 14
If the ACT is anything like the SAT (New England....everyone does SAT) then there's no way around it, you have to read it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Speed Reading and the ACT