Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.

Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 08:29 PM #1 of 56
Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.

tl;dr:
I don't mean RRoDs or YLoDs or any other system failures. I don't mean glitches or bugs or broken menus (ie can't load a game) in games either. I can also imagine a thread can be dedicated to PC gaming mishaps too. Lets exclude those and save that for another pc gaming savy poster to make a thread worthy of.

This thread is basically a catch all rants for the modern works that we see in games today that at first glance we wouldn't mind but consider a work-around of the gameplay. In other words, bullshit. Bullshit parts of the game that shouldn't really exist other than just to annoy you or to make the game seemingly challenging or add towards the unnecessary process.

There's obviously quite a few games out there that didn't make the budget and got pushed out regardless of the quality in its production. Lets be careful not to include these either because obviously, that'll be all in this thread be about. I don't mean Tomb Raider and its glitchy polygon mess but the likes of Xenogears' second disc being that narrating scene 50% of the time. Besides how do we know for sure if said game was budgeted on time but we just called it bullshit because we just wanted to find something to dislike about it? So lets save that for another thread, k?

Ditto for games that were made for the genre specifically. (Hard as nails sort of type of games are as it says it is, HARD AS NAILS. ETC)

Here are a few examples that I had encountered just very recently. And for the record, I played quite a few games to be pretty unfazed by just about anything. Only reason why these seemingly popped out the woodwork for me was the succession of them in a day. (Who knows, I may have been having a real bad day there. )

First, 3D Dot Heroes, first official dungeon in. Picked up a key and unlocked the door. There was several locked doors, and I happen to unlock the one room that gave me the boss door key. Which is accessible beyond several locked rooms with no available key in the sight. At least from what I can see. O.o'

Second, I'm playing FFV and I just barely made it out of that 4 crystal battle by using Zeninage (Gil (FF currency) for massive damage). Then the fucking Gil Turtle that is a chance encounter while you could rank up 40k gil in 10? steps. Granted these events are separate but yet related, but why are they necessary?

Third, I'm playing Shining Force III (USA poor scenario 1) and reached the second to last battle. This two parter (switches between the two) battle splits up your whole team into halves. The game forces itself to pick the ones you're not using aka crap members into a dash and hit battle while the former is to hold the fort. Lets not forget the last battle is set immediately after that.

ARGH. These are all fixable sure (Reset 3D dot, grind my weak members in SFIII with the Tomb battle, quicksave cheat for the Gil Turtle), but given the amount of bullshit I saw in a day, these just happen to unravel my gaming bullshit meter.

What sort of stuff had you played recently (or at least memorable) that irked you so when it really shouldn't?

How ya doing, buddy?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 09:00 PM #2 of 56
If you don't feel like grinding your weak members in SFIII just switch a few of your strong members into the reserve force. The final boss is positioned in such a way that you can't actually get close to him with many characters, so having every strong member on team A ends up being a bit of a waste anyway.
I should bold the word "force". The game did NOT offer me the option to manage my forces when I went to the battle. I just had to Return/Wing it out. But yeah, I already beaten SFIII earlier today by doing exactly what you said. I swapped out a couple of good ones.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 10:01 PM #3 of 56
Wow. Thanks for posting OTHER game examples. I had no idea about those having the same complaints in them. I haven't finished some of those yet but man, its good to know going in those someday.

As for the leader dying and etc, I can understand that in tactics in general and etc. But rpgs with several protagonists, yeah.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Philia; May 17, 2010 at 10:07 PM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2010, 12:31 AM #4 of 56
Star Ocean the Last Hope used the pointless drivel during LONG cutscenes too. Props for mentioning that.

But wow, didn't know Torchlight used the FFVIII system. ;\ Will keep this in mind then.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2010, 12:38 AM #5 of 56
Oh man really. See I wasn't even playing this but I was playing something else while SailorDaravon played this. I can SEE it out the corner of my eye. Its that atrocious. I mean, I keep LOOKING at SD like "DO YOU NEED TO DO SOME SYNTHESIZING AGAIN?"

But hey I'm getting off topic here. Some rpgs has pointless drivel and such. Even long cutscenes. But yeah combine the two, and you got a real winner! Third with such atrocious mannerisms that make you cringe.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Philia; May 18, 2010 at 12:41 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 05:27 AM #6 of 56
I'm playing through all the Metroid Primes again, and one thing that sticks out at me from all of them is unnecessarily long boss battles. You do a thing, it does a thing, and bam, it takes a lot of damage. Doing this 3 to 5 times is acceptable boss length for an action game, I think. But good lord, I had to fight 6 Warrior Ing today, and they each took a full minute to take down. I remember the first boss you fight in number 3 taking forever, too. Boss battles go from clever and neat to tedious and just tests of endurance.
Endurance bosses SUCK. That I can agree on. Shame of it is that they're becoming a staple option for final bosses I had kept on seeing. Doesn't surprise me that they'd try it for a couple bosses early on.

BTW I know what you're talking about. I beaten MP on the Wii's trilogy not too long ago, fun game and all that, but that ice golem battle was the pain in the ass and I thought it wouldn't get worse than that but it did. Took me forever with Omega Pirate but then I read up somewhere that bombs do a lot of damage. Did that battle a redo over and he wasn't even tough at all. I imagine some of these bosses can be crazy if you don't have enough power/items/level/health etc. So it can be different for each player and their gameplay style.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.