Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2010, 09:51 PM 1 #1 of 56
Oh, there is plenty of whine moments. I'll just mention these two for now.

1. One of the biggest gripes I always have in RPG games in particular, is when they set the game up in such a way that if the main character dies, in any sort of way, it means instant game over, even if you have 3 other characters all of which can use a 2 second cast revive! Why do games still use this system? It is so fucking frustrating sometimes. Final Fantasy 13, Radiata Stories, Persona 4, just to name a few.

Persona 4 in particular is brutal because of the amount of enemies you face that cast instant death spells. I finally just exclusively used personas that had Immunity against death because of the amount of RNG game overs I suffered. It's a total BS mechanic. Nothing worse then losing 2 hours of progress because of that shit. And it happend to many times it is unbelievable.

2. You are being way too nice about your SF3 example. That system in general is annoying. I hate it when they do that in RPGs in the final dungeon or final boss(es) they force you to use most, if not every single one of your characters, knowing damn well that you only used 3 or 4 of them, through the entire game. I mean really, who uses all 10 characters?

Now in some cases it wont matter that much, in the case of RPGs where the non-active characters get full exp, it usually isnt a big deal, in that case its just a matter of buying a few weapons and you are good to go, but in most cases those guys never got any XP and you are screwed. So now you have to spent 2 hours to level up all those characters you never used...great! Suikoden 3, Final Fantasy VI, Magna Carta: Tears of Blood, Rogue Galaxy are a few that had this.

Magna Carta is probably the worst one because it's the final bosses that forces you to use different characters and you get no choice whatsoever, and in my scenario I had to use 4 characters over 2 different battles that were all level 4 or below, so I had no chance and had to spent hours getting them good gear and levels to just barely beat those bosses. All I can say is thank fucking god for the save point being between them.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Soldier: Prepare yourself, rebel scum!!

Arngrim : (These slipshod soldiers think they can call me "rebel scum"?)
Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 18, 2010, 11:17 AM #2 of 56
Actually, unused characters in Rogue Galaxy did level up and gain the normal stat boosts. A percentage of earned XP was also gained by characters not participating in battle. Sure, you'd wind up with Jaster, Kisala, Simon and Zegram being pretty beefy. But even if you went the entire game ignoring Jupis (and who didn't?) he was still able to hold his own somewhat okay in the final battle where you were forced to use him. (And to people who didn't bother with Steve, SHAME ON YOU.)
I only ment that you were forced to use them in the final battle. I didnt even remember if they gained exp or not, but either way I had to spent some time on them because they all had terrible terrible weapons.

Quote:
Another thing I strongly disliked, something that was mostly prevalent in the post-FFVII PSX era, was inescapable CGI sequences. We loved them in FFVII because they were new and imaginative. But a few other programmers decided that they had put so much work into trying to outdo the animations in FFVII that nobody was allowed to skip over them. So we had to watch, time after time, the most basic of summons sequences just because levelling them up was also kind of important. The biggest culprit here was Legend of Legaia. GOD THOSE WERE FUCKING LONG. But a small handful of others made you wade through needless sequences too.
I found the summons to be more annoying to be honest. Most of them lasted like 30 seconds or more. Thank god FFIX had the option to use the short cast version. Best option ever!

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2010, 10:36 PM #3 of 56
Another one is from my favorite game of all time - Final Fantasy Tactics. I have nothing but the highest compliments to give the game but there is one boss mission that is too fucking hard for no good reason. I say this as someone whos beaten the game more than once and gone through some epic shitstorms of throwing the controller in disgust over some of the harder levels. But one of them is just fucking obscene in its technical bullshit.
Remember it all too well. When I first got there I was so unprepared it wasnt even funny. I tried my best 3 or 4 times, but it was obvious it wasnt going to happen. The real shitty thing is there is NO way to leave once you get in there. Thank god had a older savegame that was 2 hours back. I used that and when I tried Wiegraf again 4 of my guys were high level monk ninjas, or ninja monk, whichever was the dual fist one, and well they cleaned house.

Quote:
Ahaha, Alundra is a total bitch like that. Loved the game but God damn did some of those fights drag on.
Loved Alundra, but the boss fights really were fucking annoying.

Now that I think about it, I never did finish Alundra. I simply couldnt beat the last boss, or at least what I think was the last boss. One of these days I really should replay it, just to see if the game is as hard as I remember it to be.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Xellos
Loyal Einherjar

Member 2068

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2010, 06:27 AM #4 of 56
I'm trying to think of the tougher FFT missions. The obvious ones are the random battles where theres NOTHING BUT CHOCOBOS. Holy shit, that was insane, especially if you had more than one Yellow and they just healed everyone over and over.
Are you talking about the packs at the end of the game? where they were sometimes coupled with shitloads of dragon types? Even Orlandu would die in a few hits against that horde. It was always a bit creepy to get in random battles at that point.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Rant] Bullshit gaming, you know how it is.