Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Cellphones

Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:58 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:28 AM #1 of 44
Cellphones

I don't know about you all, but cellphones annoy the hell out of me!

Everywhere you look there are people, especially teens yapping on the phone, and in the most inappropriate places and times too!

I have always said that cellphones belong in the back seat of a car... meaning that they are very useful for emergencies, like your car breaks down, lost, need the police, ambulance, ect.

But these days I find that cellphones are contributing to a new culture of rudeness in society, people no longer need to talk to each other face to face anymore, and common sence of politeness is fading. They are also becoming a danger when people are yapping on the phone when they do not need to while driving, studies have showed that driving while on the phone can be as dangerous as driving drunk.

I do not have a cellphone (the sight of them make me cringe) however I am considering on getting one to put in my car for an emergency.

So what are your thoughts on cellphones on today's society?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 08:25 AM #2 of 44
I have a cell phone and I always leave it on and on my body. now the thing that makes me different from others is that I don't use my cell phone often. I ususally perfer to get AIM or E-mail addresses from people instead of their phone number. The only reason why I have a cell phone is because I am at college and I won't have a steady phone number for a certain amount of years.

I say, get that cell phone for your car. Of course never use it while driving, however you should always leave it on. If it is on, then I authorities can track you if you need help. Also It's a good way to find people in public just in case and a great way to update people on your trips.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:06 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 05:06 PM #3 of 44
i love the cellphone it's nice to have, only thing that bothers me is when talk loud in elevators and such. The world should learn from japan, everyone has a cellphone but they got rules and use some commen sense so it doesnt really bother anyone.

Most amazing jew boots
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:14 AM #4 of 44
The other day, I saw three girls walking down the street, side by side. Instead of talking to each other, though, they were all on cell phones, talking away. Stuff like that is too excessive.

I own a cell phone, and my parents just put me on their plan, since I've been moving around every few months as most college students do, it's easier than giving everyone a new phone number everytime I move. I don't use it a whole lot, just to call home when I'm not there, and to get ahold of my friends when I need to meet up with them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:16 AM #5 of 44
Originally Posted by Chibi Neko
So what are your thoughts on cellphones on today's society?
I expressed one observation about cell phone users in a journal entry once. Private conversations aren't really private anymore. The use of cell phones has allowed people to become more open about what's happening in their lives, especially while on a cell phone. Some people just have a tendency to talk loudly into a cell phone.

I don't use my cell phone much, saving it to arrange a meeting of some kind or have a brief conversation while away from the dorm. For the most part, I keep it in my pocket, sometimes even neglecting to turn it back on after class.

How ya doing, buddy?
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:19 AM #6 of 44
I agree that using a cellphone in public is very rude. I absolutely will not talk on mine in a restaurant, grocery store, elevator, etc., although I am guilty of talking while driving. =/ My commute to and from work is 45 minutes each way and I get a lot of business taken care of in my car that would just take time away from my work and family if I waited until I was out of the car to do it.

I personally would not be without one. Especially given the fact that I have children. You never know when you might need one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:30 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 08:30 AM #7 of 44
My first cell phone plan was pay-per-use, and it was nice since I really didn't use a cell phone often: just for emergencies, arranging meetings, and stuff. That phone died this summer, and I was out to get something a little more featureful. This now involved me to get a regular plan, but my usage is even less now that I'm working and not in school anymore... and I'm paying more. ;_;

I absolutely hate it when answering the cell phone just stops "everything." Some examples...

Going through the turnstyle of, e.g. a subway, passing the gate, AND THEN STOPPING TO CHECK YOUR PHONE, ruining the flow of human traffic. People do this on stairs, automatic doors, and everywhere else I am. (Side note: and about 100% of the time these people are black girls. :/)

And as a somewhat minor example, you're conversing at a restaurant with friends. One's cell phone rings, and pretty much all conversation at the table stops until the end of the call... kinda just bugs me.

FELIPE NO
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 10:31 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 10:31 AM #8 of 44
I don't have a cellphone, for the most part due to the lack of affordability. However, I don't care about people using them when outside, or even walking in the halls of buildings. As long as they aren't too loud, I have no problem.

In some situations such as the classroom, or at a nice resturant or driving in the city, its a bit rude to do so, not to mention unsafe in the car, but overall being rude by using a cellphone is dependent on the person being bothered by it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Celes Chere
Good Chocobo

Member 11349

Level 18.07

Aug 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:10 AM #9 of 44
I have a cellphone, but it's old (flip top, but has a black and white screen and no internet capabilities). It's Tracfone, which means you pay ahead of time for a certain amount of minutes for so many months. I never use up my minutes (cause I don't have friends who call me... ). I just stick to using it for emergencies or if I need a ride or something.

I hate when I'm ringing someone up and they're on a freaking cellphone and neither one of us says a whole word throughout the transaction (except when I say the total. I don't bother greeting you if you won't listen anyway )

Antignition
Chocobo

Member 7743

Level 11.38

May 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:22 AM #10 of 44
I like the concept of the cellphone, but the way most people use it tends to grate on my nerves. Actually...when I see them talking it doesn't really bother me (haven't run into too many obnoxious/loud phone assholes yet), but when I think cellphones as a whole I just think negatively...can't really explain it better than that.

Anyway, I think the positive aspects of the cellphone outweigh the bad, but I really...really hate two things that involve them.

1. The number of accidents caused by asshats (teenagers and adults alike) because Sydney had to tell Shanequa that she lost her virginity while going 55 in a residential area.

2. Everyone jacking over these "new features" -if I want to watch TV im at home, if I want to listen to music I am in a car/at home. When I'm out with my cellphone im usually doing something and I don't give a damn about the features that try to mimic my perfectly fine television/CD Player/computer, and make them 10x more complicated.

Shove that phone that can tell you how big your schlong is up your butt, please.

Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:24 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:24 AM #11 of 44
I have a RAZR V3C at the moment.

I consider using phones in important situations (emergency calls, ask friends where to meet up and so on, important stuff) only. I don't yak on the phone too much as I rarely use it anyway.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:31 AM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 01:01 PM #12 of 44
Originally Posted by Antignition
2. Everyone jacking over these "new features" -if I want to watch TV im at home, if I want to listen to music I am in a car/at home. When I'm out with my cellphone im usually doing something and I don't give a damn about the features that try to mimic my perfectly fine television/CD Player/computer, and make them 10x more complicated.

Shove that phone that can tell you how big your schlong is up your butt, please.
I totally agree, I really do not see the point of all the extra features.... if you wanna listen on the go, get a MP3 player for pete's sake! And it is thanks to the camera phones that peeping tom crimes have increased.

The added featues are just a marketing gimmik to attract the easy to amuse people who are wooed by the 'pretty and shiny' stuff.... and it is working.

How ya doing, buddy?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 12:31 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 11:31 AM #13 of 44
I hate my cell phone. My work is probably 60% phone calling which nearly all ends up on my personal cell. Let's just say I used 1309 daytime minutes this last month + 607 Verizon *IN* daytime minutes + 1166 free night/weekend minutes for a grand flippin' total of....

3110 minutes on the phone in one month. Thats 51.8333 hours or 2.15 DAYS ON THE PHONE. I don't even have a girlfriend and I live alone. Ridiculous, it truly is.

I hate my cell phone.

I was speaking idiomatically.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 03:59 PM #14 of 44
I feel that cellphones are like any other tool sported by anyone today, useful only if used properly, such as when your car breaks down in the middle of nowhere. I agree fully though that they are abused to the limit with teenagers. I can't recount the times I've had some stupid group of teens yakking away when I'm trying to watch a movie, nearly leading me to a point that I would go and ask them how they believe their cell phones would sound coming out of their rectums

one kid actually had the audacitiy to put on an annoying ring on his cell and sneak up behind me, play the ringer and place it up to my ear. he found out that day that cell phones fly as I snatched it out of his hands and tossedit into thenearest refuse bin. this leads me to believe that perhgaps we should put age limits on cell phones?

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:39 PM #15 of 44
I have a Nokia something or other. I try to avoid using it unless absolutely necessary. It's very rare that I use it to call and talk on. It's reserved mostly for messages and personal contact - and god forbid an emergency.

I can say that it has saved my ass SEVERAL times in roadside emergencies. When you drive as far and as hard as I do, its an absolute necessity.

Apart from that, I will use texts more often than not to send a message to someone. It's better than using minutes during the day and avoids wasteful time-spending on the phone.

I love it and I hate it at the same time. =/

FELIPE NO
Adara
Simplicity

Member 108

Level 12.68

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 01:59 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 12:59 PM #16 of 44
Cell phones are great. I have a cell phone, but I only talk on it when it's absolutely necessary. I'm cool with people using them for practical reasons. It's when people use them improperly that I get angry. When I hear people yacking as loud as they can indoors (restaurants, banks, libraries), I want to go punch them. There should be some sort of fine for talking on a cell in restaurants and other places.

What annoys me the most, however, is how students in my college like to text message their friends during class. Hearing the tapping of text messaging all class long, not to mention the vibrations when they receive a message, is enough to drive me crazy. One of these days one of those people is going to end up with my pencil lodged in one of their eyes.

jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 07:21 PM #17 of 44
My cell phone is the only phone I have so it tends to get a lot of use. However, I made it a habit to put it on silence when going into public areas or hanging out with friends. There are few things I consider more rude than interrupting a conversation to talk to someone else on the damn phone.

Knight_Rider
KnIgHt RiDeR 2006

Member 13919

Level 1.47

Oct 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 09:01 PM #18 of 44
I hate when people talk loud on their cell phones. This applies mostly to young people. This girl the other day was practically shouting on her phone and then proceeded to talk in another language, then english again. It was so annoying and her laugh made my ears bleed.

Draz
Not-So-Tortured Poet

Member 5387

Level 7.02

Apr 2006

Old Oct 13, 2006, 11:29 PM Local time: Oct 13, 2006, 09:29 PM #19 of 44
I think I could use a cell-phone just for how useful they are. I have been saved in a dire situation more than once by someone having a cell-phone, and I figure I could stand to have one... if only I could afford it. Rrr.

I think all these extra features aren't too much to gripe over - now-a-days, everything is something else. I'm pretty sure the Xbox 720 or whatever, whenever it comes out, will have a built in microwave and mini-fridge, because nothing just does what it's deisgned to anymore. We can at least be thankful that cell-phones don't come with cheese-graters attatched to them.

Most amazing jew boots
Signatures are so overrated...

Pretentious Music Blather. <--- Music snobbery, not currently updated. Worth reading anyway.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 12:26 PM #20 of 44
I just can't picture why almost every other class, someone's cell phone goes off and it's on max ringer. That bugs me to no end, and people could really wait until 20-30 after every hour when no one has class or is on their way to class. None of those calls made are ever urgent or anything, and it's really bothersome.

I have a cell phone but I only use the calendar feature excessively. No one really ever calls me with alarming frequency, unlike half of the student population. When someone does call me, it's usually a friend with a simple straight request, or one who hasn't seen me for a while. The call is short, and we meet in person afterwards.

Cell phones are rude and annoying in general though. You can do me a favour and at least keep it on vibrate to think about others, rather than piss them off with your C-Pop ringer that blares at maximum.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Krusty69
Carob Nut

Member 13390

Level 6.55

Oct 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 06:26 PM #21 of 44
I love and hate my cell phone. I have a pink motorola razor and love that it's pink and convenient! But I hate when people on the other end can't hear what I'm saying. Maybe I don't speak clearly?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Servilonus
Good Chocobo

Member 79

Level 15.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:15 PM #22 of 44
I don't have a cell phone, nor have I ever had one, but I sort of wish I had one, just for the insurance factor of it, those tight what-if scenarios. I like the idea but I hate all the bullshit associated with it, and when I see people fiddling with thier cell phones all day (and even in class ugh), it kind of pisses me off in the way that my friends do by playing Warcraft all day.

One of my old friends was telling me how much he hates text messaging on phones. "It's a fucking phone! Just call them!"

Kesubei
Puzzle Person

Member 971

Level 17.04

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:23 PM Local time: Oct 14, 2006, 08:23 PM #23 of 44
Indeed, it seems that the Milky Way is much noiser now that cellphones - I mean, mobiles - have proliferated.

I don't own and I don't plan on owning one any time soon. I did have a pre-paid phone in Japan, but I hardly used it to make phone calls; all I did was send text messages and take pictures.

FELIPE NO

Fire On Ice
Shockingly Sheepish

Member 428

Level 18.61

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:28 PM #24 of 44
I think thatb they're pretty useful for some, and entirely pointless for others. I see 11 year old's, who still live at home, talking on their cell phones about that awesome Yu-Gi-Oh episode that they taped last night and I think why, what possible reason could there be for those kind of people to need a cell phone? Then again, I live in res and our phone system is absolute shit, and don't get me started on how awful the messaging system works. Not only that, but I'm usually not in my room because we're working on a production in the studio so having a phone with me at all times is pretty helpful.

Baaah~
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 14, 2006, 07:58 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2006, 12:58 AM #25 of 44
I've got a cellphone, but it's nothing special. I can take pictures but as for special features that's about it. I don't need any of the other stuff; why do I want to play 3D games or listen to music when I have a perfectly good mp3 player and games console? All I use it for is emergancy calls and keeping in contact with people through text whom I couldn't talk to otherwise. When I hear about primary school kids with cellphones it really annoys me. What could you possibly need a cellphone for at that age? Unless the parents are really irresponisble and let their kids wander wherever they please, but that's bad parenting, not an excuse to give your kid a phone =/

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Cellphones