Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How good is digital optical audio?

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:34 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 12:34 AM #1 of 5
How good is digital optical audio?

Can someone explain how it works, what brand has the top optical cables, and how it compares to regular audio (ordinary audio cables). I just bouht a nice 56" Samsung HDTV and just thinking about other stuff to upgrade. This audio upgrade would be for my ps2 and dvd player, and I also have a receiver that supports optical audio.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tube
Modenator

Member 88

Level 16.94

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:48 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 02:48 AM #2 of 5
Digital is digital. Brand name doesn't matter with optical like it would with analog output cables.

And obviously, digital means the signal won't degrade like it can with analog, so you can expect better quality output with it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 03:50 AM Local time: May 25, 2006, 12:50 AM #3 of 5
Thanks for the cable question, I should have also asked which are the most known cable brands.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ArrowHead
Scadian Canadian

Member 2020

Level 20.25

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 02:09 PM #4 of 5
Monster comes to mind.

Really though, quality will not be affected by your choice of brand. Going with a cheaper brand at worst means that the cable is more cheaply manufactured and will break more easily.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old May 25, 2006, 02:35 PM #5 of 5
Exactly. Since it's just light traveling, not anything being conducted, there's no sense in uber-expensive cables.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How good is digital optical audio?