Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Heading for England.

daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:35 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 01:35 AM #1 of 13
Heading for England.

(If this fits better somewhere else then just move it )

Hey folks.

I decided yesterday after a long period of contemplating, thinking and pondering, to move to england withing a period of 2/3 years.

Now I checked with the embassy and got a lot of good info but of course I want to get some advice from people that live in brittain.

So what is the best way for handling the health insurance and stuff.
And more importantly... what about going out at bars what time they close? legal drinking ages and stuff. I'm 20 now.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks alot already.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 12:44 AM #2 of 13
You can get tanked here alright, don't worry about that. Someone else will have to weigh in concerning the insurance though. I'd like to know why the hell you'd want to come here though. Our current government is a bunch of assholes; then again, you're from the Netherlands so perhaps it makes sense >_>. Bon voyage, when you get around to it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 07:56 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 01:56 AM #3 of 13
Well I'm kind of sick of my environment here right now.
Doesn't really have anything to do with goverments I don't pay too much attention.

I just want to have an easy job ( housing won't be a problem.) thanks to:
http://www.camelotproperty.com/bo.php?srclang=gbr-en

I've been living via them (but in holland of course.) for about two years and they told me that if I wanted to go to the UK they will help me.

So I just wanna make a small new start. live there get an easy job, and get pissed from time to time. And of course visiting some friends.

It will take a long time I guess but I still have 2/3 years. (Of course I hope sooner)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 16, 2006, 09:03 PM #4 of 13
Hey, if you're ever in the Sunderland area next Spring, let me know and maybe we can unite as foreigners and figure out what in the world we need to do. The main advice that the people at the International Center gave me was to call the health insurance company and ask them if their policy will cover me overseas (and if so, how and at what cost). If not, you may want to consider either seeing if they have a way to expand your insurance in order to get international coverage (which may cost a lot) or find a new company in England. I am required to purchase college health insurance along with my current policy this year, so I am set to go since the college policy covers international incidents (even though I have to pay the upfront costs first, then they reimburse me).

However, I thought England had universal health care, or does that not cover international students or people? From the British buddies I've talked to here and on IM's, you can get tanked when you're 18, so you should be perfectly legal. Do you know what part of England you're moving to?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
Xanadu
Supermassive

Member 6969

Level 6.55

May 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 07:47 PM #5 of 13
Yeah, British healthcare is paid for in tax money - the NHS is a public service, so you don't need to worry about insurance or paying out of your nose if you have a heart attack or something.

And yes, the legal drinking age is 18.

I was speaking idiomatically.
my generation's lost its patience playing with the world within
accelerated saturation out of our minds on saccharin
xuemin
Syklis Green

Member 248

Level 8.06

Mar 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 03:16 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 08:16 PM #6 of 13
the healthcare is free, but i found an old article about it:
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/publi...114226,00.html

depending on which area/city you'll be in the bars will have different closing times, eg here in Nottingham they tend to close earlier than those in London.

even if you are 20, make sure you have some form of ID saying so if you have a tendency to get mistaken for being younger.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old May 17, 2006, 03:53 PM Local time: May 17, 2006, 08:53 PM #7 of 13
Yeah, most British teens wind up looking a lot older than they actually are, so ALWAYS having an ID is a good idea due to the fact that you might be mistaken for one.

As for bars: If you're eighteen you can drink, and I'm pretty sure there's some law stating that it's legal to drink with a meal if you're sixteen. Not sure on that one. Plenty of pubs are open past midnight in inner London and the like.

FELIPE NO
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 05:26 PM #8 of 13
Actually when I went to England a year ago on holiday I met some people who said I looked like I was 23 while I was 19 at the time.
But I always have an ID on me.

And thanks for finding that article.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Visavi
constella

Member 5648

Level 18.32

Apr 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 01:22 PM #9 of 13
Originally Posted by xuemin
the healthcare is free, but i found an old article about it:
http://politics.guardian.co.uk/publi...114226,00.html
In that article, I read something that said:
Quote:
Overseas students to be exempt from charges.
Does this mean if someone from North America--who is studying abroad for 5 months at a British school--gets injured, then they can get free healthcare still?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

"Oh, for My sake! Will you people stop nagging me? I'll blow the world up when I'm ready."--Jehova's Blog
daxy
Chocobo

Member 3716

Level 9.79

Mar 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 01:27 PM Local time: May 21, 2006, 07:27 PM #10 of 13
I don't know. If so be easier for you.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
xuemin
Syklis Green

Member 248

Level 8.06

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 05:10 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 10:10 AM #11 of 13
Originally Posted by Visavi
Does this mean if someone from North America--who is studying abroad for 5 months at a British school--gets injured, then they can get free healthcare still?
best to check with the British embassy in your country, the internet may be a huge source of information, but it's not always accurate or reliable.

Most amazing jew boots
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 06:59 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 11:59 AM #12 of 13
Someone's already asked for info about England in a similar fashion - http://www.gamingforce.com/forums/ge...o-england.html

Also, it's Britain, not brittain. You might want to get that right before heading over. Additionally, as people have already mentioned, the best idea is for you to go to your local British embassy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 07:19 AM Local time: May 22, 2006, 01:19 PM #13 of 13
As a European citizen, you'll get free healthcare here if you're ill or injured, especially if you're working in the country.

I wouldn't be so sure about living off an easy job though. England is one of the most expensive countries in the World at the moment so depending on where you live, you might struggle to earn enough to enjoy yourself without a "proper" job.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Heading for England.