Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer
Star Trek 24 25.26%
Star Wars 46 48.42%
Both 11 11.58%
Neither 14 14.74%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek VS Star Wars
Closed Thread

kupomog
you’ve been naughty

Member 705

Level 16.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 04:16 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2006, 11:16 PM #26 of 84
Huh, weird, I just got through this exact topic on another board fairly recently...like last week. Pretty much all of us responded the same, "apples and oranges, brosef." But for the sake of it, I like (most of) Star Wars, but in regards to Star Trek, I have only watched Star Trek: Voyager avidly and very few of the other series, and I suppose having little to no knowledge of the original series and such is why I liked Voyager so much. I don't really feel like I can base all of Trek on that alone, so I can't even begin to make a fair choice between the two. I don't really prefer one over the other at this point, though...I guess my answer is "neither."

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by kupomog; Mar 26, 2006 at 04:18 AM.
khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 09:57 PM #27 of 84
If there existed no such thing as any Star Trek tv series (Face it...Next Generation, Voyager, Deep Space Nine, etc. all suck balls.) and just on the movies...Id say it would be kind of close. The movies were great (up until the one where TNG met up with Captain Kirk and thereafter).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 10:33 PM #28 of 84
Talk about a thread guaranteed to ignite some flame wars...

I chose niether. If you had asked me in 1995, I would have said Star Trek was better. If you'd asked in 1998, Star Wars would have come out on top. The fact is, the wheels are off of both franchises right now; they've both been driven into the ground, and I have no desire to see any more content from either, since it will only further tarnish what good there was.

Star Wars generally has more adventure, while Star Trek is heavier on social issues and philosophical themes. Both are laden with technobabble, and both have the ability to create endearing characters and place them in a rousing situation. But neither has since 1993.

If Star Wars had ended forever in 1983, as God intended, and Star Trek had expired in 1993, rather than limping to a close last year, the issue would have been close, maybe even "apples and oranges" close. But I'm now in the position where I neither seek out nor care for new content in either case, with few exceptions.

Both series had a hand in getting sci-fi respect as a film and television genre, but their days are over.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:07 PM #29 of 84
I honestly don't care which is "better". They're vastly different in many ways and both are spoiled by respective legions of fanboys who won't listen to logic as they debate the most inane minutae.

Also, both series grew progressively worse as people tinkered with the original formulas that made each so enjoyable.

I was speaking idiomatically.
typ44
Syklis Green

Member 504

Level 7.71

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2006, 11:25 PM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:25 PM #30 of 84
Star Wars uses lightsabers. Star Trek uses remote controls. Star Wars wins.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Mar 26, 2006, 11:35 PM #31 of 84
I like both, though they're don't have many commonalities beyond using a lot of technology far advanced to our own. I don't think it's a very good comparison to begin with.

Since what people typically compare are the Star Trek television series with the Star Wars movies, I'll ignore the Star Trek movies. First of all, comparing a movie with a syndicated series isn't really fair. The movies don't have nearly the time to flesh out the multiple subtle story arcs typically taking place behind the main one like TV shows do. Likewise, their character delevopment is a lot less complete. It would really be more fair to compare a movie to a miniseries, but whatever.

Though I'm a fan of Star Wars, I like Star Trek more if for no other reason than Deep Space Nine, which is where I will completely disagree with Crash's sentiment that the franchise should've ended in '93. That series is not only the best Star Trek series I've seen, but one of the straight-up best TV shows I've ever seen. It had the standard technobabble scifi episodes like every other series, but its commentary on social and political issues was unmatched. Some episodes were obvious and lame, but the majority of them were exceptionally written and performed.

The acting in DS9 is some of the best I've ever seen, ever, with a group of people who really get a feel for their characters. They all have subtleties of their own, and though some occasionally fall into certain stereotypes, they're the minority. Fortunately, they're all also written really well, and I wasn't ever left with the feeling that a character was being pushed in an unnatural direction.

I appreciated, too, how the writers could occasionally just let go and have a comedic episode that was close to being ridiculous. I really felt like they maintained a sense of fun throughout the entire run of the show. Some of the subtle characterizations throughout the episodes left me howling just as much as most comedy shows have.

It takes a couple of seasons to really get going at full steam, but if you're patient enough to let the actors and writers feel their way through some things, I'd really recommend watching it.

That said, it's not really comparable to Star Wars because it has such a long period of time to allow you to get to know the characters and their subtleties. Star Wars has a lot of stereotyped characters, but since it's not a drama it was kind of forced into using them. The majority of the screentime is devoted to plot development and action, so exploring each of the characters in such depth, though it would be cool, isn't realistic.

FELIPE NO
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 01:52 AM #32 of 84
Pointless thread. We should be comparing Sci Fi TV shows to Trek and space-war movies to star wars.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 27, 2006, 02:33 AM Local time: Mar 27, 2006, 12:33 AM #33 of 84
Star Wars.

I could not really get into Star Trek for some reason. It just seemed so... goody goody. Mankind is this wonderfully accepting species and the aliens are bad. Where as in Star Wars the humans are kicking ass and oppressing the aliens as it should be. Fuck yeah! Oppression!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Atomic Duck
Bunny Eat World!

Member 1407

Level 8.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:37 PM #34 of 84
Not to say I think Star Trek is bad, as I think it's pretty cool, but in my opinion Star Wars whoops it's butt. I was more fond of the characters, and the combination of the story spanning six movies (most of which were quite long) and the powerful music gave it a very epic feel.

Although I have this theory... it's something I've noticed among my friends and family and I'm wondering how true it is. It seems more creative-minded people favor Star Wars, while the technical types prefer Star Trek. Such as my sister and I who want to go into writing and game development respectively prefer Star Wars, while my dad and girlfriend who are engineers like Star Trek.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Mar 28, 2006, 07:43 PM #35 of 84
I despised classes like calculus and love acting. I think of myself as a pretty creative person. I prefer Star Trek.

I think what it more comes down to, is do you prefer a standard good vs. evil fantasy story, or a show that often comments on social issues and examines human nature?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 28, 2006, 11:12 PM #36 of 84
I really prefer Star Trek as a whole. The sci fi, intergalactic diplomacy is something that I enjoy. It is understandable that Star Wars would receive more popularity as it is an easier to understand story compared to Star Trek due to the depth difference between the two.

How ya doing, buddy?
Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

Last edited by Para; Mar 29, 2006 at 01:03 AM.
Umma
Chocobo

Member 3974

Level 10.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:25 AM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 10:25 AM #37 of 84
Hey! There's depth in Star Wars... just there's not enough time in the movies to be too deep. Give Star Wars some TV series and you'll see you won't be saying that.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:54 AM #38 of 84
Originally Posted by Para
I really prefer Star Trek as a whole. The sci fi, intergalactic diplomacy is something that I enjoy. It is understandable that Star Wars would receive more popularity as it is an easier to understand story compared to Star Trek due to the depth difference between the two.
Thats got to be one of the worst things ever said in the history of the internet. It's like your high horse is riding on an even higher horse, with you on top of the two. Get over yourself.

Most amazing jew boots
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:20 AM #39 of 84
Originally Posted by LeHah
Thats got to be one of the worst things ever said in the history of the internet. It's like your high horse is riding on an even higher horse, with you on top of the two. Get over yourself.
Incorrect. He has a point.

FELIPE NO
Para
Style & Sexy

Member 889

Level 18.77

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:34 AM #40 of 84
Originally Posted by LeHah
Its not high horse. Im only speaking of what I think. Truly I do believe to a certain extent that Star Trek is more sci-fi than Star Wars. Star Trek takes a lot more time to explain more of its phenomena than Star Wars. Sure Star Trek does have its time where episodes do not have any relation to sci-fi itself but considering the overall universe.. Star Trek does take more time in developing it.

Star Trek expands on its universe far more than Star Wars. Consider how much development the Star Trek writers have expanded on the Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons and Borg versus the development of ewoks, gungans or wookies. Technology is explained in greater depth in Star Trek than in Star Wars.

However you should consider that Star Trek is a tv show thus has a lot more time to expand on these races and go in greater depth than Star Wars was able to. Really though... I would consider Star Trek as a mystery sci-fi as to Star Wars as action sci-fi. What if Star Wars had a tv show? That's an if... who knows?? Maybe they might expand on it but you can't say for sure.

Missing that one music track:
Fire Fight - Mission X // Frostbite

jouhou
-

Member 400

Level 18.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:03 AM #41 of 84
It's all about the the lightsabers and the force.
When I was in like the 6th or 7th grade there was a college student helping the art teacher to help us. He and a group of my friends were talking about star wars and star trek. I said, "star wars is cool but star trek sucks!" He looked at me and said, "hey, take that back." hahaha, but star trek doesn't have darth vader and light sabers.

Most amazing jew boots
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 11:24 AM #42 of 84
Its not high horse. Im only speaking of what I think. Truly I do believe to a certain extent that Star Trek is more sci-fi than Star Wars.
You DO realize what you're saying, right? You're coming out swinging by saying "Item A is better than Item B because I think it's smarter!"

Thats no way to quantify anything. Saying Star Trek is smart isn't smart at all, just like how everyone on the internet thinks they're a misunderstood genius. All you have an overinflated sense of ego.

Star Trek takes a lot more time to explain more of its phenomena than Star Wars.
Two words: Morality Play

TOS dealt with issues of racisim, TNG dealt with the horrors of technology, DS9 dealt with issues of war/policing, Voyager dealt with - well, it reiterated TOS and TNG and so did Enterprise.

That didn't take any time to explain, did it? There's a very easy to understand overall spectrum to the series. It's very optimistic, for the most part. To read any further into it is to do yourself discredit.

Sure Star Trek does have its time where episodes do not have any relation to sci-fi itself but considering the overall universe.
"All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal Than Others"

Star Trek does take more time in developing it.
Thats not a valid point at all. Yes, it has more time to develop it because it has 5 TV shows and 10 movies. If anynthing, Star Wars is a better series because it says as much with less material.

Star Trek expands on its universe far more than Star Wars.
Quantify that statement with facts, please.

Consider how much development the Star Trek writers have expanded on the Vulcans, Romulans, Klingons and Borg versus the development of ewoks, gungans or wookies.
Subtexts Found In Star Wars Prequels

The Jedi Are A Bunch Of Assholes

One needs only to mention that they live in an ivory tower to make this near-literal. But then think about it this way - the Jedi allow slavery to exist unless it suits the needs of one malcontent Jedi? And how the heck are the Jedi these great negotiators if they're working "under"/with the Supreme Chancellor?

Yoda Is A Narcissistic Jerk

A lot of people blame Obi-Wan for the creation of Darth Vader, but it goes deeper than that. For all Obi-Wan's mistakes, he also trains Luke well and tells him things like "stretch out with your feelings" or "your feelings do you credit", "you must do what you feel is right" and above all "trust your feelings!". But Yoda tells us that "Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate" and all that. Is Yoda lying? Manipulative?

Not to mention Yoda refuses to allow either Anakin or Luke into Jedi Knighthood because of their age. Thats usually a subtext found in cults - get them while their young, warp their minds to your ends. Is Yoda so afraid of individuality amongst his students?

(Theres a third subtext but it's only backwards compatible. Yoda warns Luke not to underestimate the power of Emperor Palpatine "or suffer your father's fate". He fails to mention - again, this is whats called 'retcon' - that Yoda himself got his ass-kicked by Palpatine in the Senate chamber. On top of that, the whole statement is pretty damned mean; he's basically telling Luke that he's going to end up a guy getting beaten down and burnt to cinder)

Anakin Has An Oedipus Complex

Anakin had a pretty stable relationship with his mother until he was taken from her by Qui-Gon. After a number of years, he starts having dreams about her (I'm not even going near that joke) and he realizes he has to save her. When he does find her, she dies in his arms before he can hear that she still loves him.

This more or less enforces Anakin's abandonment issues with women, between his mother and his relationship with his wife. Think about it - he loves Padme but only in secret? The reason this is an Oedipus complex instead of a fear of rejection/abandonment/replacement is because of Obi-Wan as the father/brother figure. Obi-Wan certainly wants whats right for Anakin (even if it's not what the Council may want, per se - because Obi-Wan wants Anakin to come to his senses about not only the Dark Side, but inadvertently Padme as well) but thats at odds with how Anakin wants to come to the same ends. (Anakin wants to save Padme through the Dark Side, Obi-Wan wants to save them both through Anakin's turning back)

Technology is explained in greater depth in Star Trek than in Star Wars.
Thats a major failure in writing. The term "technobabble" was coined to berate early episodes of TNG because of their inability to resolve issues like Holodeck malfunctions or Picard transporting himself into space without mentioning crazy technical speak.

Really though... I would consider Star Trek as a mystery sci-fi as to Star Wars as action sci-fi.
Oh, yeah, Star Trek has a lot in common with Dashell Hammet, doesn't it?

Phoque le PQ
Présentement en ligne

Member 1886

Level 9.65

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 06:06 PM #43 of 84
As wierd as it may seem (i'm a weirdo anyway), i've despised star trek ever since my youth because of... the language. During the next generation (which my father watched) there was no french version at all. SO I never had any interest.

However, star wars has got my interest for quite a while now. It started mainly with the special editions (with which I convinced myself to try harder to understand English... IT'S DEATH STAR, NOT BLACK STAR YOU RETARD!!)

Why? I can't tell... but i like it!|

How ya doing, buddy?
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 07:58 PM #44 of 84
Para did not say Star Trek is smarter. He said it's harder to understand compared to a series that is about war and drama/emotion.

My five year old cousin likes Star Wars because its fun and exciting to him. He can't stay focused on the TV when Star Trek is on.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 08:47 PM #45 of 84
Originally Posted by Borg1982
Para did not say Star Trek is smarter. He said it's harder to understand compared to a series that is about war and drama/emotion.
So instead of Para saying it - you'll just making an awful neon sign of an insinuation in the following sentence...

Originally Posted by Borg1982
My five year old cousin likes Star Wars because its fun and exciting to him. He can't stay focused on the TV when Star Trek is on.
Perhaps something is wrong with him, or perhaps he just doesn't like it Star Trek? Because between you and me, one of my earliest memories is watching reruns of TOS with my dad and loving every second of them. (When you're at that early age, you don't notice that the sets and effects are uber-cheap looking. You're just like "Wow! Space Monsters!")

Saying that your idiot 5 year old cousin doesn't like Star Trek is like saying my cousin's sister's half-brother's wife doesn't like it. That doesn't mean shit to anyone here since you can't quantify shit with age.

(Don't I remember having a pissing match with you earlier this year that ended with you looking like a fag and being tempbanned? Don't Marty McFly this shit and do it again)

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Mar 29, 2006 at 08:51 PM.
Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 09:30 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 07:30 PM #46 of 84
While I do like Star Wars and enjoy alot of it.. I like Star Trek a bit more. Though it's kind of unfair to compare the two. They're not really the same.

But I mainly like Star Trek more because I've grown up watching it and enjoy some of the technology that was in it right now. If you think about it some of the things on the Star Trek series have become reality. Or rather, some of the technology we use now is similiar to some of the things in Star Trek. Which did not exist or were only ideas when they were used in the show.

I might even go as far to say Star Trek offered ideas that allowed some of the things we use or will use to be invented. It gave people ideas and they tried it. Though I'm sure that's probably not true. You never know though. :P

Because Star Trek is basicly a story about what we could be I like it alot more than Star Wars. Which is just a story with alot of things that just cannot happen in the real world. Yes, I enjoy fantasy and there's nothing wrong with it. But I like to think about how we will evolve in technologic areas and Star Trek offers a pretty good view of it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Arbok
Toho Mikado

Member 325

Level 9.20

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:00 PM #47 of 84
I have always liked Star Wars more. I found some of the earlier Star Trek shows pretty good (particularly those before Voyager), but Star Wars always held a greater interest for me. In my case, the main pulls were the villains in the Star Wars universe along with John Williams amazing scores for all six films.

FELIPE NO
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 29, 2006, 10:03 PM Local time: Mar 29, 2006, 09:03 PM #48 of 84
I like Star Trek because of Bones, and I like Star Wars because of Alec Guiness. In a fight, I think Bones would win. Therefore, I like Star Trek more.

Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 06:57 AM #49 of 84
This is very simple. Star Wars makes for great books - the whole good vs evil thing works great. I could see it becoming good TV if they did it something like Prison Break where there is a story that flows from one episode to the next. The Star Trek TV show format works very well for Star Trek, but it wouldn't work for Star Wars.

Having said that, I like them both equally, but I like them for different reasons. I much prefer Babylon 5 to either of them though.

How ya doing, buddy?

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 30, 2006, 07:25 AM #50 of 84
Originally Posted by Mucknuggle
Star Wars makes for great books - the whole good vs evil thing works great.
The problem with that statement is that most EU writers are complete dumbasses and would rather tell us about some found Imperial superweapon ten times more powerful than a Death Star and it's in the form of an ancient Sith lightsaber!

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Star Trek VS Star Wars