Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: Religon in Dating?
Yes 30 37.50%
No 14 17.50%
Doesn't Matter 36 45.00%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Religon in Dating

Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:08 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 02:08 PM #26 of 91
I probably would never date muslims or atheists. Atheists mostly because the people that like to make it a point that they are atheists are usually ridiculous and assholes. I would date one if I just sort of found out eventually that they were.

And muslims, well, I doubt the muslim culture would accept me so much. Outside of that, it doesn't matter. Though I probably wouldn't date any extreme fanatics of any religion, be it Christian or some other.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:13 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 04:13 PM #27 of 91
I'm a Muslim, and I would not have any problems marrying or dating someone of another religion. I was, after all, raised here in Canada in a typically lax (religion-wise) environment.

However, I think my mom would kill me if I ever did. For her, my single choice is a Muslim Bengali girl from a nice background. She was telling me about how she wants me to go to Bangladesh when I'm older and find a wife. Uh...

Also, Islam permits men to marry Jewish or Christian women, but I'm pretty sure dating is forbidden unless it's serious courting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 03:29 PM #28 of 91
It's pretty simple.

If you plan on having kids, you had better agree with your mate on everything that each of you considers important. If someone is religious, chances are, they are going to consider it important. Even if you're both completely open to each other's beliefs, you're going to confuse the hell out of the kid when he can't get a straight answer out of either of you.

If you don't want kids yet, then do whatever you want. I don't think relationships between two people who are culturally different have much of a chance to work out, let alone two people with differing religious beliefs, but as long as you're not bringing a kid into this world so you can fuck him up, go find out for youself.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 04:04 PM Local time: Mar 18, 2006, 05:04 PM #29 of 91
Originally Posted by Devo
And I'm guessing though the women would have to follow your (Muslim) rules, not the other way around?
I don't know about traditionally, but personally I'd be willing to compromise.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tama8-chan
Good Chocobo

Member 952

Level 16.06

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2006, 05:10 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:10 AM #30 of 91
I try to keep as much of an open mind about girls and other religious, but the sort of beliefs and ideals I grew up with WOULD affect my thinking when it comes to a serious relationship, or marriage.

The whole thing about your kids and what they'll turn out like is a bit factor as well. So it makes sense to keep as open-minded as possible.

Everyone in my family has married to a catholic vietnamese person.
However, my cousin's husband used to be a buddhist, but he converted to catholicism just so he'd be accepted into the family by her parents. How sweet.
As for my aunt, she married a white aussie guy, who at this point I think is Catholic, but more of an athiest that anything.

There is a certain level of acceptance in my family, but I think in all seriously they would PREFER if I married some nice vietnamese girl, who was also catholic.....
I asked my parents, jokingly, what if i brought home a muslim girl, covered from head to toe in that traditional dress. They said they'd die from shock.
Jokingly, of course. But I'd guess that that IS what they'd actually do.

However, I think that as long as the girl I'm with is catholic, no matter what ethnicity she is, then they're fine with that

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 03:09 AM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 04:09 AM #31 of 91
Wow. Surprising that I managed to pass over this thread for so long.

To me, having very a similar religious belief with someone I am dating is very important.
To begin with, I do not like to date, except as a means to an end, which is marriage. Thus, if there is someone who is pretty much not at all marriage material, I not date them.
Building upon that, it is also taught in Chrsitianity that it is not good for 2 people to be unequally yoked in life. Meaning, it is not very healthy for a believer and a non-believer to be married.
Therefore, I will not date anyone who does not hold to Christianity. I will however accept someone who is within the whole realm of Orthodox Christianity, whether Pentacostal or Catholic. In fact, in some ways, I would prefer a gal who has differing ideas of doctrinal nuances than I do (so long as they are well thought out). This will hopefully help keep us balanced in regards to certain perceptions and views.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:43 AM #32 of 91
So you wouldn't date a Protestant?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:32 AM #33 of 91

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Tek2000; Mar 7, 2007 at 07:24 AM. Reason: Because I want to
dat_kasu
Wark!

Member 1175

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:27 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 06:27 PM #34 of 91
I would date people with different religious beliefs, but I couldn't date someone who is really radical or tries to force me to believe in his religion.

Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:45 PM #35 of 91
Being an Atheist, if I shunned people with other religions, my potential dating pool would be crippled. So I don't let it. I've spent nearly 19 years of my life pretending to respect religious beliefs (Catholic in my case), I can spend more of my life pretending to believe crap to keep other people happy.

Normally I'm a stickler for honesty in a relationship, and I make it a point not to lie to someone I'm dating. Religion is the exception here, because most people get SO FUCKING NUTS (tm) over their religion that it's not worth telling them the truth.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 12:52 PM #36 of 91
Maybe you should move to Manhattan or something.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:28 PM #37 of 91
Originally Posted by Arainach
Being an Atheist, if I shunned people with other religions, my potential dating pool would be crippled. So I don't let it. I've spent nearly 19 years of my life pretending to respect religious beliefs (Catholic in my case), I can spend more of my life pretending to believe crap to keep other people happy.
So not only are you a lying sack of shit that cannot be trusted, but you lack the conviction to tell people you're atheist. Good job.

Most amazing jew boots
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 02:44 PM #38 of 91
Originally Posted by Minion
So you wouldn't date a Protestant?
Well, Protestants, last I checked, are within the realm of Orthodoxy. Like I said, Pentacostals to Roman Catholic. That almost covers everything.

Also, LOL at Arainach.

bisha
Carob Nut

Member 537

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 06:44 PM #39 of 91
Originally Posted by Devo
And I'm guessing though the women would have to follow your (Muslim) rules, not the other way around?
Yeah, the woman would have to convert to Islam and the children would be raised under islamic law. Also, the rule for muslim men being allowed to marry jewish or christian women doesn't lie true for muslim women.

Having been raised as a somewhat lax muslim, my parents insist on me marrying an asian muslim, I think it's supposed to act as some kind of atonement for not having lived the perfect muslim life (praying five times a day, all that jazz.) However, I'm a pretty hard-headed girl - I don't see myself going down that road - I'm agnostic and don't really have a problem dating people of other faiths, so long as nothing is imposed on me.

FELIPE NO
Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 01:58 PM #40 of 91
Originally Posted by Fjordor
Well, Protestants, last I checked, are within the realm of Orthodoxy. Like I said, Pentacostals to Roman Catholic. That almost covers everything.

Also, LOL at Arainach.
Actually Orthodoxy is a separate branch of the church. There is Catholicism, Orothdoxy and Protestantism. What you said sounded like you meant you wouldn't date a Protestant.

mesmeric
Ferret tamer

Member 91

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:00 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 01:00 PM #41 of 91
I would and have dated people outside of my religion, however I can’t date a person that wants to change the beliefs that I have worked so hard to gain. I believe that religion is a very powerful and personal decision that should not be looked upon lightly.

So I guess I am on the fence a little even though I voted ‘yes’. The one thing that I have to have though is the willingness to let my children make up their own mind on what they want to believe in.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

O RLY?
Fjordor
Holy Chocobo

Member 97

Level 32.96

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 02:49 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 03:49 PM #42 of 91
Originally Posted by Minion
Actually Orthodoxy is a separate branch of the church. There is Catholicism, Orothdoxy and Protestantism. What you said sounded like you meant you wouldn't date a Protestant.
Well, not really.
There is orthodoxy, which is essentially the basic, undeniable doctrines. The things which, if you deny, make you not a member of that group. In the case of a Christian: if someone says that they believe in all the basic ideas of Christianity, except that they think Jesus was just a man, then by definition they cannot be considered a Christian. Get my drift?

There are other churches which have, as their title, orthodox church, like the Eastern, Greek, Syrian, etc. But that is not what I am referring to. Context my friend, context.

Zurc
Mother of God

Member 1572

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:24 AM #43 of 91
I still don't get why people in these days still need to believe in some imaginary god or something. I wish everybody would just erase religious stuff from their heads. If I'm worried because of something, praying to an imaginary thing won't make it better, because it's fake and my mind's creation. I mean, if someone would grow up without hearing about religion and such, I think that person would never care about such things. We should worry about being good to each other, and not about being good in order to go to heaven.
But hey, I'd date someone religious, but only if that person would not restrict me, like not eating meat. That's just absurd.

Tek2000
NOT AVAILABLE

Member 1641

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 08:49 PM #44 of 91
Originally Posted by Zurc
I still don't get why people in these days still need to believe in some imaginary god or something.
Discarding the possibility that a god exists the way you do is a pretty arrogant affirmation, don't you think?. :juggler:

How ya doing, buddy?
FallDragon
Good Chocobo

Member 2657

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 09:33 PM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 04:33 AM #45 of 91
Morality is more important to me than Religion. As long as you have the same general ideas of right and wrong that I do, it's fine. The only group I'd consciously not date are super-Christians that praise God every 5 seconds. And now a days there's more and more Christians that are pretty liberal as far as Religious preference, so I'm fine dating one of them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Mar 19, 2006, 11:31 PM Local time: Mar 19, 2006, 09:31 PM #46 of 91
I would definitely prefer to date someone who is religious, preferably Christian, and as close to Catholic as possible. At the minimum someone I date must be open-minded about such things. I'm somewhat religious myself. I attend mass at least once a week. I've gone to private school all my life except for college. I've been in a youth group forever. So, to answer the poll, I'll date outside of my religion for sure, but I will consider religion.

waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
Zurc
Mother of God

Member 1572

Level 8.29

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 07:02 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 01:02 PM #47 of 91
Originally Posted by x86
Discarding the possibility that a god exists the way you do is a pretty arrogant affirmation, don't you think?. :juggler:
Please, don't get me wrong. I respect people who are religious. But I didn't say it doesn't exist. The truth is that no one knows if it does exist. That's why I say it's nothing more than something imaginary. So why praying to something we don't even know? People find it easier not to face reality and instead gain hope in "God". That's what I've been realizing with my mother, for example.

FELIPE NO
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:48 AM #48 of 91
Anyone else laughing at all the people who said, "Oh, religion is fine as long as the person doesn't try to push their beliefs on me"?

I don't know about Muslims, Jews, Buddhists, etc, but you guys do realize that a big part of Christianity is evangelism, right? If you're involved with a "Christian" who never tries to help you accept Jesus, they're not much of a Christian. So what you're really saying is that you don't mind dating people who claim to be Christians although they don't practice the teachings of Jesus.

Minion
Retainer

Member 21

Level 28.54

Feb 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 09:51 AM #49 of 91
Originally Posted by Fjordor
Well, not really.
There is orthodoxy, which is essentially the basic, undeniable doctrines. The things which, if you deny, make you not a member of that group. In the case of a Christian: if someone says that they believe in all the basic ideas of Christianity, except that they think Jesus was just a man, then by definition they cannot be considered a Christian. Get my drift?

There are other churches which have, as their title, orthodox church, like the Eastern, Greek, Syrian, etc. But that is not what I am referring to. Context my friend, context.
You could say "nondenominational" or as CS Lewis puts it, "mere" Christianity. Saying orthodox really is confusing.

Quote:
So what you're really saying is that you don't mind dating people who claim to be Christians although they don't practice the teachings of Jesus.
Yeah, it's kinda like saying, "Hey, I don't mind if you're Mexican, just don't eat beans around me." 'Cause you know, the farts. Could end a marriage. Etc.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Cat9
Chocobo

Member 465

Level 11.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2006, 10:54 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2006, 07:54 AM #50 of 91
Even though I chose "I dont care" its not exactly my answer. I dont care when it comes to dating, but a relationship is quite a different matter. If things get serious, then people should really analyse what it is thats important to them.

As another poster implied, all's well and good until children come into the picture. What tends to happen then is that people somehow return to thier roots (be it becuase suddenly they want to do the "right thing" or becuase grandparent get involved, etc.)

That being said, I dont expect anything serious unless I could come to an understanding about religion with the other person. If they persisted with the attitude of "well do what you want just keep me out of it", I would end it.

Is there a Deadwood board game out yet?
"Go back 3 spaces you loopy fuckin' cunt"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Religon in Dating