Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Peter Jackson released from making LOTR prequel...

Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 01:44 PM #1 of 36
Peter Jackson released from making LOTR prequel...

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...462766,00.html

What's your opinion? Do you think New Line Cinema did the right thing by cutting out Peter Jackson, or do you think they shot themselves in the foot by letting him go?

Apparently he was let go because he wanted more money for the LOTR movies and the related merchandise (he got $200 million, which is a nice chunk of change, but the article says the movies and merchandise made almost $5 billion, but it probably made even more than that), and New Line probably used that as a reason for not re-hiring him.

Do you think that the Hobbit will be as good without Jackson? Or will another director somehow be able to do a good variation of it? I don't think I'll go see it without Jackson being involved in it, unless they bring in another director I like (and if it's Paul WS Anderson or Uwe Boll, it's going to get trashed to heck and what not lol).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Slash
EXPLOSION!!

Member 647

Level 33.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 11:51 AM #2 of 36
I dunno, it doesn't make sense why they released him.

Releasing Jackson would be like if they had George Lucas do Star wars 1,2 4,5 and 6 then having someone else make the 3rd movie or something like that.

Its just dumb.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 01:15 PM #3 of 36
Another director couldn't do what Jackson did. Jackson was a rabid LotR fanatic before he touched the movies. And now, especially considering this prequel will deal with a lot of material from the Silmarillion, you need a historian's approach to do it properly. The Hobbit could be done by a monkey. Take from the page. But the Silmarillion is dense material and requires a very delicate, academic touch. They better not fuck up the directorial process by hiring some jag off.

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:05 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 02:05 PM #4 of 36
Originally Posted by Slash
Releasing Jackson would be like if they had George Lucas do Star wars 1,2 4,5 and 6 then having someone else make the 3rd movie or something like that.
Actually, that would have made a lot of sense, considering how craptastic 1 and 2 were. A lot more sense than cutting Peter Jackson from The Hobbit, anyway.

I have an uneasy feeling that no matter who they pick, even if he's a great director, will completely ruin this prequel.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 02:07 PM #5 of 36
I agree with Ayos, here. I can't see another director in Hollyweird having the same sort of love for the project that Jackson did. Of course, that being said, if we got someone with a more literal translation approach... I wouldn't be too upset.

Most amazing jew boots

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 03:13 PM #6 of 36
MISTAKE. New Line will wisen up, you watch.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 04:53 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 09:53 PM #7 of 36
It's all very well bitching and saying New Line have made a mistake, but then a lot of people would have said that when the signed Jackson to do the LotR trilogy. Why can't someone else come along and do an impressive job? This could be seen as a mistake, but there's no way you can say that for sure until the film is released.

FELIPE NO
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:08 PM #8 of 36
I betcha the crew and possibly even actors will follow his departure. I don't doubt that another director *could* do a good job, but it introduces a discomforting possibility for disaster. And I don't know if I could stomach a "Hobbit" that's blatantly out of continuity with the LoTR flicks.

Most amazing jew boots
Raijin
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 210

Level 21.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 05:15 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 12:15 AM #9 of 36
Quote:
(and if it's Paul WS Anderson or Uwe Boll, it's going to get trashed to heck and what not lol).
Come on... these names shouldnt even been mentioned there.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:18 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 07:18 PM #10 of 36
While I know we can't judge whoever they hire as a new director untill we see results, but c'mon, Peter Jackson spend a DECADE of his life creating this world visually for the big screen, made lots of money for New Line, he asked for his fair share and THIS is how they repaid him?!

Its like Matt Groening with Fox on Futurama or something. Obviously New Line decided to value money and crappy movie tie ins than actual good quality films.

Regardless on whether or not a new guy will make a better movie, booting off Jackson for asking his fair share like he was chopped liver is NOT at all respectable.

Here's the link to his email. People please write and tell New Line that this is unacceptable and is a fine example of coporal greediness and impatience than actual creativity and INTEGRITY.

http://www.theonering.net/staticnews/1163993546.html

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Nov 26, 2006 at 10:32 PM.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:22 PM #11 of 36
Man, if they even THINK of doing the Silmarillion, I am so not going to see it. That book is like a fucking encyclopedia, and I really wouldn't want to watch the thing in an EPIC 8 hour film. NO THANKS. (I could hardly read the damned thing it was so epically BORING, though IMPORTANT I guess)

But seriously. I think they should reconsider. I think Jackson proved himself with the trilogy as a great director - especially for these literary fantasy classics. I would go see The Hobbit, but I doubt I could say I would enjoy it as much as I would with Jackson direction. At least we'd have some directing continuity with Jackson. I fear what the results would be if he WAS released and they continued despite it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 10:44 PM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 07:44 PM #12 of 36
And you're sure that news is accurate? I mean, Jackson did write and official letter to One Ring .net who DO have contacts with the man, unless this is NEW news that he hasn't heard about it yet?

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Nov 26, 2006, 11:10 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 01:10 PM #13 of 36
That would be very disappointing if it were to hold. Someone should be scolded for the idea even being considered.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:11 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 11:11 PM #14 of 36
See, I'm thinking the reason Peter Jackson allowed it to get this far (this wasn't a one-sided thing, I'm sure) is because he wanted them to know he was serious about it. They didn't jump on the train when they should've and let him have time to get involved in things like King Kong and the like, when they should have at least inked a deal with him once Fellowship hit big. I don't think New Line took him seriously enough, and now when he played his cards they cut him. It can't last, with the way the trilogy played out and the fan base that supports Jackson now, plus that deadline looming over their heads - they surely know that a half baked attempt of a movie pulled together, even on a preliminary level, within a year won't work out. Jackson will probably win out in the end with a better deal, a better cut of the profits, and just as much creative power over the project as he ever had. The only downside is that we'll be waiting that much longer for it to come out.

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:32 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 09:32 PM #15 of 36
More power to Jackson if that's the case. Screw New Line...

I probably could care less about the prequels if he isn't part of it, but would most likely see it if he is. Not for any particular reason, I just liked his direction in the others and don't feel like I have to see the upcoming films otherwise. Oh well, I guess I'll wait and see.

FELIPE NO
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:05 AM Local time: Nov 26, 2006, 10:05 PM #16 of 36
So he just gave up? Is that it?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:27 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 12:27 AM #17 of 36
No, New Line 'let him go.' It's not over, anyway. Read between the lines and you see that there's still a chance (although we don't know how good that chance is, currently) that he'll helm the thing once it gets underway. Eventually.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:34 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 12:34 AM #18 of 36
Peter Jackson: I want the opportunity to make more money off these films.

New Line: No, get the fuck out of my office.

Peter Jackson: Fine, but I'm taking WETA with me. You can't be friends anymore.

New Line: Fine, we never liked you or WETA anyway. We have funner director/design team friends to hang out with.

That with millions of dollars on the line.

Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 01:36 AM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 12:36 AM #19 of 36
Well and succintly put.

Peter Jackson: 1
New Line: -1

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 04:51 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 03:51 PM #20 of 36
Originally Posted by Slash
I dunno, it doesn't make sense why they released him.

Its just dumb.
Just so's we're clear, George Lucas didn't direct ep. V or VI. He merley wrote the story to both. Leigh Brakett wrote the screen play, Irvin Kershner directed ep. V, and Lawrence Kasdan wrote the screen play, and Richard Marquand directed ep. VI.

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I betcha the crew and possibly even actors will follow his departure. I don't doubt that another director *could* do a good job, but it introduces a discomforting possibility for disaster. And I don't know if I could stomach a "Hobbit" that's blatantly out of continuity with the LoTR flicks
Keep in mind how few of the actors would be involved in The Hobbit. Hugo Weaving and Ian Mckellen are the only ones that come to mind, and maybe the actor who played Bilbo (can't remember his name) but i have no idea if they'd go with a younger actor anyways or not.

As for my opinion on the possibility of Jackson not directing The Hobbit, it's a little angering, as Jackson is obviously the right man for the job. He knows the books well, and he's already done three monumental films based around that world. Anybody would be daft to willingly pick anyone else over Jackson. Here's me hoping that Jackson will direct it, but that's not to say i won't go and see it if somone else does.

Last edited by Helloween; Nov 27, 2006 at 04:58 PM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:01 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 04:01 PM #21 of 36
I wouldn't know, i haven't actually read the Silmarillion (yet), not sure if i ever will or not. I wasn't aware that those characters would be returning.

Also, i said that, not orion. Sorry, i screwed up that post pretty royally there, hence the editing.

I was speaking idiomatically.
neothe0ne
River Chocobo

Member 461

Level 25.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 05:31 PM #22 of 36
Originally Posted by Helloween
I wouldn't know, i haven't actually read the Silmarillion (yet), not sure if i ever will or not. I wasn't aware that those characters would be returning.

Also, i said that, not orion. Sorry, i screwed up that post pretty royally there, hence the editing.
The Silmarillion definitely wouldn't have any familiar wizards, unless Jackson made a twist on the plot (entirely possible.. parts of the Silmarillion occur in Valinor).. but neither those wizards nor Elrond or Galadriel would play any significant roles in a Silmarillion movie, if it's remotely accurate to the book.

Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 27, 2006, 06:44 PM Local time: Nov 27, 2006, 03:44 PM #23 of 36
Well Ian Mckellan is defintly sad that Peter Jackson won't be making the hobbit, (for now), and he stated himself on his official website after reading the TORN letter that Jackson was placed in position he can't win.

I lost alot of respect for New Line now, never thought they would sell out to make a cheap movie in one year just so they can keep the rights to themselves, ever heard of SHARING?! You made billions off LOTR, sharing The Hobbit isnt gonna make it worst.

Oh and TORN states that the Saul interview isnt that recent.

http://www.worldofkj.com/news/news.p...rom=&ucat%20=&

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kairi Li; Nov 27, 2006 at 06:47 PM.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 08:05 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 05:05 AM #24 of 36
I don't discount the possibility of someone other than Peter Jackson doing a good job, although the chances of this happening are quite slim. I doubt many directors are both as talented as Peter Jackson AND have the same love for the source material.

I'm a little confused though. People keep bringing up the Silmarillion. What's the deal here? Are they also talking about making movie(s) form this book as well? There isn't a whole lot of The Hobbit that really is enhanced by elements from the Silmarillion, so I don't really see how they could combine the two.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Nov 28, 2006, 10:05 AM Local time: Nov 28, 2006, 05:05 PM #25 of 36
What the ... I thought Tolkien's son owned The Hobbit's rights and swore he would never sell it to any hollywood pig?

Also, they want to do the Silmarillon now? WHAT.THE.FUCK

They already failed at transcripting anything that was deep about LOTR, and they think they can do the Silmarillon?

Oh well ... what am I thinking. They probably don't give a fuck about doing it right or not, since basically all the persons who posted in this thread are living examples of this COMPLETELY ENIGMATIC MYSTERY that is the international success of those shitass movies.

Fuck you, 21th century.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Peter Jackson released from making LOTR prequel...