Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Windows Updates Screwed me Over!

chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2008, 05:52 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2008, 09:52 PM #1 of 5
Windows Updates Screwed me Over!

Out of nowhere, Windows tells me to restart in 4 minutes. After 5 attempts, I let Windows have its way. Windows is a bastard.

So I log in, and a message to do with corrupt user appears. Either that, or I don't have the security clearances to MY OWN laptop. Stupid computer, I OWN YOU!

My guess is that the update corrupted my user profile, and now I've got an empty desktop, as well as a bland HP background.

What should I do? I found my old profile documents, and the desktop setup, so should I just copy them onto the new profile, delete the old one? Or should I go about it another way?

Thanks in advance!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2008, 07:02 AM Local time: Jan 11, 2008, 08:02 PM #2 of 5
Well, you could certainly try copying it over. Hope you remember the Administrator password!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old Jan 11, 2008, 08:19 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 12:19 AM #3 of 5
LOL I remember my password ....

Anyways, now that I've successfully transferred all the files in My Documents as well as all of the files that appeared on my previous user account's desktop, would I be able to safely remove the old, corrupt user profile? All the programs in C:/ will stay the same right?

I have a basic idea that it'll all work out but asking in case there is a possibility that my whole PC will stuff up. Is it a common thing for Windows updates to screw computers?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 06:43 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 02:43 PM #4 of 5
LOL I remember my password ....

Anyways, now that I've successfully transferred all the files in My Documents as well as all of the files that appeared on my previous user account's desktop, would I be able to safely remove the old, corrupt user profile? All the programs in C:/ will stay the same right?

I have a basic idea that it'll all work out but asking in case there is a possibility that my whole PC will stuff up. Is it a common thing for Windows updates to screw computers?
backup all data are saved in your profile?then make new profile and log off from corrupt user profile,and log in new profile.then delete old corrupt profile.and all program are installed in program files will be not delete it.manybe only delete from start menu.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 07:13 AM Local time: Jan 12, 2008, 08:13 PM #5 of 5
You SHOULD be able to keep your old programs, but some DO keep registration information (say, Alcohol 120%) in the user profile (somewhere in \Application Data or \Local Settings\ in the profile). Plus there are certain programs which gave you the option of installing just for a single user.

But general rule is, it should all be fine. You may do need to re-key some settings though.

As for Windows Update screwing over a user profile, that never happened to me. A Sun Java update did ruin my profile once. But I think it's not exactly a rare occurence.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Windows Updates Screwed me Over!