Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] How do you get 3,000 pikachus on a bus? POKEMON!

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:50 PM #26 of 1579
One of the beefs I've had with this series ever since it reached GBA is that they've done very little to make the graphics better. They might be slightly more detailed and more colorful but overall it's that same overhead/isometric view of your stumpy player, running around. Battles are the back of your Pokemon versus the front of the enemy's Pokemon with very little detail in the backgrounds and a lack of true environment and interaction. Disappointing

Most amazing jew boots
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 02:54 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 01:54 PM #27 of 1579
Yeah, but that's because they've always been on Game Boys, which have never really had huge jumps in graphics each generation. The DS should be capable of more. However, judging by the video Infernal Monkey linked a few posts back, it's not a whole lot better. Maybe we'll at least get Pokemon Stadium-esque battles.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 04:34 PM Local time: Jul 8, 2006, 03:34 PM #28 of 1579
Originally Posted by Eleo
One of the beefs I've had with this series ever since it reached GBA is that they've done very little to make the graphics better. They might be slightly more detailed and more colorful but overall it's that same overhead/isometric view of your stumpy player, running around. Battles are the back of your Pokemon versus the front of the enemy's Pokemon with very little detail in the backgrounds and a lack of true environment and interaction. Disappointing
Well, Pokemon XD tackles the graphics definition but the view is still almost the same. Battles are done in a Pokemon Stadium fashion, though, so they look pretty good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Vibrate
Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:21 PM #29 of 1579
The 3D'ness of the GCN games are a hit and miss to me. Some pokémon look awesome in 3D, while others are simply hideous (Machamp anyone?). Call me crazy, but I very much prefer the GB-style graphics, much like how I prefer the GBA style graphics in the Harvest Moon series to their 3D counterparts on consoles. Some things are just better left on a specific console.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 05:59 PM #30 of 1579
Well, these games are turning out nicely. I never expect major graphical leaps in my handheld games, so this 3D look is nice. If you compare this to R/G/B/Y/G/S/C/R/S/E/Fr/Lg it's a significant step up.

While animations would've been nice, doing so for the 300+ pokemon available would be too much, so getting the day-night cycle is good enough for me.

And coliseum battles? I like the gameboy iteration battles far better, unless you want each encounter to last 8 minutes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:04 PM #31 of 1579
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
And coliseum battles? I like the gameboy iteration battles far better, unless you want each encounter to last 8 minutes.
Seconded. I didn't like the fact none of the monsters actually touched each other. They run just a short way and then magically 'hits' the opponent. That's just lame.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 8, 2006, 06:11 PM #32 of 1579
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
Seconded. I didn't like the fact none of the monsters actually touched each other. They run just a short way and then magically 'hits' the opponent. That's just lame.
What I've always thought would be absolutely fantastic would be a console pokemon game that was more like the gameboy versions. I'm talking about animated 2-D pokemon art, etc.. But in this age of 3D, this is increasingly becoming a pipe dream.

Oh, one last thing. I've always been interested in seeing the starter pokemon in each new addition and this one is no different.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Synthesis
Southern Cross

Member 257

Level 25.84

Mar 2006

Old Jul 9, 2006, 05:24 PM Local time: Jul 9, 2006, 04:24 PM #33 of 1579
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:PokemonDP2.gif

Here's a little clip of the female main character walking through a town. I really like the look of it, everything seems to flow really well onscreen.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:50 AM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 09:50 PM #34 of 1579

sauce

The box art has SCARY POKEMON.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 06:58 AM #35 of 1579
They've always had the more "frightening" pokemon on the cover. Good to see the tradition isn't dead.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 07:26 AM #36 of 1579
True, but the other Pokémon on previous covers were never this freaky looking. Monster designs are getting worse with each new game : /

Granted, I do like the look of some newer monsters though, like Seviper and Lairon.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:00 AM #37 of 1579
Originally Posted by Vampiro
They've always had the more "frightening" pokemon on the cover. Good to see the tradition isn't dead.
This is probably the freakiest. They make Groudon look normal.

I was speaking idiomatically.
NovaX
๏o๏o๏o๏

Member 603

Level 25.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:29 AM Local time: Jul 13, 2006, 12:59 AM #38 of 1579
Originally Posted by Chaotic
This is probably the freakiest. They make Groudon look normal.
No way! This is the freakiest cover pokemon by far.
BEWARE:

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:55 AM #39 of 1579
Aww, but Pikachu is cute. NOT! I've always preferred Raichu myself. Claydol is pretty freaky, but it's not on any cover, alas.

FELIPE NO
Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 11:31 AM #40 of 1579
Yeah, see? They even made Pikachu look menacing.

Quote:
True, but the other Pokémon on previous covers were never this freaky looking.
Nah, that pokemon on Emerald was the freakiest. By far.

Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:14 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 11:14 AM #41 of 1579
Originally Posted by Vampiro
Yeah, see? They even made Pikachu look menacing.

Nah, that pokemon on Emerald was the freakiest. By far.

Is this loli

Vibrate
Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 12:59 PM #42 of 1579
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey

sauce

The box art has SCARY POKEMON.
Shit, it looks like Ruby and Diamond Weapon just made Pokemon.

Wonder what type these guys are.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:05 PM #43 of 1579
Info time guys (btw, props to whomever is representing Paper Mario):

Originally Posted by Serebii.net
- September 28th, 2006 is the release date (PSP goodbye)
- Legendary Pokémon are Diarugu (for Diamond) and Parukia (for Pearl)
- Diarugu is a time ruling Pokémon, Parukia is a space ruling Pokémon
- Chieriumu is the pink flower thing, Pachirissu is the blue squirrel, and Dorapion is the purple rock snake thing
- The new evil team is Team Galaxy
Here's some more scans:

http://img23.imagevenue.com/img.php?...size_473lo.jpg
http://img131.imagevenue.com/img.php...size_356lo.jpg
http://img120.imagevenue.com/img.php...size_469lo.jpg
http://img102.imagevenue.com/img.php...size_581lo.jpg
http://img24.imagevenue.com/img.php?...size_419lo.jpg
http://img12.imagevenue.com/img.php?...size_415lo.jpg
http://img152.imagevenue.com/img.php...size_395lo.jpg

And here's some more information from Serebii.net. Looks like they shafted Tamanta given that's it's both water and flying (phail with electric).

Quote:
-Cherimu is a Grass Type Pokémon. Classification of Sakura Pokémon. It has a brand new ability called Flower Head which powers itself and any teammates up when Sunny Day is in effect. It has an attack called Trouble Seed. This attack changes the foe's ability to Insomnia temporarily.
-Pachirisu is an Electric Type Pokémon. Classification of Electric Squirrel Pokémon. It has either Run Away or Pick Up for it's abilities. It knows Thunderbolt/
-Dorapion is a Poison/Dark Type Pokémon. Classification of Changeable Scorpion Pokémon. It has either Battle Armor or a new ability called Snipe which increases the base value of an attack during critical hit. It knows Poison Fang. It has an attack called Cross Poison. This attack has a high chance of Critical Hitting and Poisoning.
-Tamanta is a Water/Flying Type Pokémon. It's Abilities are Swift Swim and Water Absorb.
-Perappu is now a Normal/Flying Type Pokémon. It's abilities are Keen Eye & a new Ability called Unstable Gait which allows for evasion to increase when confused.
-Lucario's second ability is called Humble Heart which increases Lucario's speed when flinched. Lucario has a new attack called Wave Guiding Bomb. It's a Fighting Type Attack. Lucario also knows Detect & Quick Attack.
-Munchlax has an attack called Nature Spurt which used the berry Munchlax may be holding to change the strength and type of an attack.
-Weavile has an attack called Freeze. This attack disables the hold item that the opponent has.
-Buizeru has an attack called Aqua Jet. This attack always hits first.
-Evil Team is Team Galaxy who are stealing Pokémon everywhere and trief to befriend the professor.
-Seperate rival other than the other gender. He is your childhood rival and although he is sometimes rash, he helps you along the way.
-Bottom of Pokémon Center is for WiFi features which utilise Friend Codes.
-Bottom Screen during battles confirmed for Menus.
-In Battle, the bag is organised as thus: HP/PP Recovery, Pokéballs, Status Recovery, Battle Use .

Neogin
Wealth of Random Knowledge

Member 641

Level 16.38

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:32 PM #44 of 1579
Whoo, I'm getting goosebumps. If that date is accurate, we could be seeing Pokemon as early as..winter? Perhaps Q1 of 2007?

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:35 PM #45 of 1579
Winter? No way, chances are it'll be released around the same time that Fr/Lg hit the states. Marchish, no?

How ya doing, buddy?

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:56 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 01:56 PM #46 of 1579
So they're finally making differences between female and male pokemon? This might be a little interesting. I just hope it wont become imbalanced. Like a female pokemon lacking the moves of a male pokemon or a male pokemon lacking an ability of the female pokemon.. They should be the exact same.

Stuff goes here~

Last edited by Shonos; Jul 12, 2006 at 04:06 PM.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 03:58 PM #47 of 1579
Oh geez, all those new Pokémon are hideous, especially those...those...things on the covers.

Oh well, I'll still be getting the game anyway.

FELIPE NO
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Jul 12, 2006, 04:13 PM #48 of 1579
These games are starting to look interesting, so I might get one of them. I skipped over Ruby/Sapphire because they just didn't look that interesting to me, but with all the improvements being made in these versions, this looks like a good time to jump back into the series.

Sin Ansem
Miyamoto digs Negi Springfield

Member 1148

Level 21.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 12, 2006, 09:43 PM #49 of 1579
Why do they always release Pokemon games on March? I think Fr/Lg and Ru/Sa were released that month too.

Vampiro
Good Chocobo

Member 9333

Level 17.36

Jul 2006

Old Jul 13, 2006, 01:09 PM #50 of 1579
Originally Posted by Sin Ansem
Why do they always release Pokemon games on March? I think Fr/Lg and Ru/Sa were released that month too.
End of the fiscal year, I believe. It's an easy way to generate a lot of cash before March 31.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] How do you get 3,000 pikachus on a bus? POKEMON!