Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[DS] 'World Ends With You' (aka It's a Wonderful World) coming Stateside

Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:46 AM #1 of 79
'World Ends With You' (aka It's a Wonderful World) coming Stateside

Source

So, is anyone excited about this? It seemed to be a bit iffy at first, but, now SquareEnix's interesting little DS RPG is slated for a US release! Of course, I'm sure you can tell that by the title...

I personally find this great, as the DS really needs some good RPGs for its library, and it's interesting battle system, it seems fun at the very least. The clothing aspect seems cool, but I'm wondering how that works out in-game (I haven't looked at any Japanese reviews yet). The story's a little... familiar though.

So, lovely members, what do you think? Will this game be great, a flop, or just, kinda floating around in that sea of 'who gives a damn'?

And for people who haven't heard about the game until now, here's a little bit of info about it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:58 AM #2 of 79
Looking at many screens of this game, it looks awesome... I honestly can't wait for this to come out.

But I'm wondering why they changed the title... It's a Wonderful World seemed like a good title.

Most amazing jew boots
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:01 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 10:01 PM #3 of 79
I heard that the gameplay is actually challenging and different from regular RPGs, and the story is kinda... trippy? It also had a lot of Japanese puns so there was alot of skepticism about a localised release in the states or anywhere else... But I'm glad this is coming out and will probably pick it up as soon as its out.

The soundtrack is also good, got it from gamemp3s, and the music is an important element in the style and setting of the game. Its overall a different feel to the usual fantasy or futuristic Sci Fi turn based RPGs Square churns out latly.

And the title changed cause of copyright issues. There's an old film of the same title, and a music album.

It's a Wonderful World - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's a Wonderful World (album) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Andrew Evenstar
Save the Queen

Member 419

Level 23.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:21 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 10:21 PM #4 of 79
I have the game in Japanese, however I haven't played it much. The story & battle system are pretty unique. I will for sure play it in english and I am happy it is coming stateside.

Most amazing jew boots
Biohazard Mercenaries

[Final Fantasy]
IV > VI > VIII > VII > IX > V > XII > X
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:35 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 12:35 AM #5 of 79
To quote a good friend of mine's "review" on it from way back in July:

Quote:
It's a wonderful world!

"Subarashiki Kono Sekai"

If theres one thing I think gaming should change direction to, it's going with this modern jpop culture take. Persona 3 and Subarashiki are very fine examples of how well it turns out. So what this "wonderful world"? It's a SquareEnix title from the group that did "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories". (Jupiter) Tetsuya Nomura's absolutely original and hip, japanese pop cultured inspired game for the Nintendo DS. You play as Neku, your average kid that's into music and graffiti. One day he's told that he only has 7 days to live and if he wants to survive, he'll need to play "Death's Game". Death's game is a bunch of orders he'll need to fulfill while prowling the streets of Shibuya along with his sidekick, Shiki, who was also dragged into this "Game". You'll be facing these weird entitles called Noise in a dual screen battle system. On top, you'll control Shiki with the dpad, while at the bottom you'll use use the stylus for Neku. Neku can cast magic or melee away with stylus gestures. Shiki attacks with her plush cat, Pochi. If you can time each others attack in a good rhythm, you'll gain even more attack bonuses. Also, things might get too hectic in such a case, so you can have Shiki on auto battle, but you won't rank as well at the end . Outside of battle, you'll need to listen to peoples thoughts in order to figure out what's going on. Like why is Hachiko all dirty?! It's really a big departure from your typical RPG. As I said earlier, the fashion trend of the game is a huge key element, so you'll find yourself shopping at shops like a gothic lolita store for your latest equipment. Your style influences how battles will turn out. The culture trend doesn't just end there, the music itself is a mixture of trance and hip hop, a very modern score you won't find in many other games. Trendy dressed kids, cellphones, fast food and the streets of Shibuya. Folks may hate Nomura for what hes done with the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts series, but if there was game that was really meant to be made by him, this is it. It's definitely one hell of a unique experience. Here's hoping when this hits stateside that it still retains most of its personality that makes it stand out so. On a final note, Famitsu gave it a 36/40

For some reason I see a lot of the content losing meaning when translated into America so we'll have to see how it turns out.

I enjoyed what little I played of it, so unless they find a way to completely screw over the English release I don't see why I won't enjoy the stateside release all the same.

Now I want to play it again =(

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:38 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 10:38 PM #6 of 79
Its confirmed that alot of content WILL be lost, alot of the dialouge relies heavily on Japanese puns that made most imported fans were skeptical of a US release, that and the whole Shibuya street culture...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:40 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 11:40 PM #7 of 79
I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the localization of this one. I wonder if they'll change the location of the game to a US city or something or if they'll just do a text translation and adjust the dialog for a US audience.

How ya doing, buddy?
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:42 AM #8 of 79
Ooo, that's a very nice looking DS your friend has there.

I'm also kinda worried about the localization issues with the heavy Japanese culture. But, then again, with us Westerners becoming more saturated with Eastern influences, maybe Squeenix will be either smart enough to leave it intact, or find good Western counterparts people can relate to.

But, honestly, though, as long as they don't mess up the battle system (somehow?), I think it'd still be a pretty good game.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:42 AM Local time: Dec 17, 2007, 10:42 PM #9 of 79
Quote:
I'm really curious as to how they'll handle the localization of this one. I wonder if they'll change the location of the game to a US city or something or if they'll just do a text translation and adjust the dialog for a US audience.
If they change the location that would require new artworks to be made. The background artworks are 100% Shibuya, not a knock off, but the an artist depiction of how the city district actually looks. I doubt Square US is going to ask Nomura's team to just make some new artwork of NY or something, so I say its probably the latter of your statement.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 01:46 AM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 12:46 AM #10 of 79
Yeah, the game takes place in THE BRONX.

Word.

I'm sure the game itself will still be enjoyable. Just... the whole point of it was the Shibuya style and all these funny puns.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 07:25 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 01:25 AM #11 of 79
If it worked for Persona 3, it can work for this.

Also, there's a partial translation for this game already.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 11:57 AM #12 of 79
Yeah, the game takes place in THE BRONX.
If every single character in this game doesn't have a heavy Bronx accent I'm going to be very, very disappointed.

I really don't see why they had to change the location, though. It's not like that would've turned people off from the game; People would have just seen "HEY HE LOOKS LIKE SORA" or "SQUARE-ENIX? COUNT ME IN" and it would've sold like hotcakes regardless.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Taco; Dec 18, 2007 at 12:17 PM.
Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:12 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 01:12 AM #13 of 79
Oh good, and I was running out of RPGs for my DS.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Monkey King
Gentleman Shmupper

Member 848

Level 30.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 12:21 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 11:21 AM #14 of 79
Quote:
It's a SquareEnix title from the group that did "Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories". (Jupiter) Tetsuya Nomura's absolutely original and hip, japanese pop cultured inspired game for the Nintendo DS.
PASS. This sounds absolutely dreadful for anybody who's not a die-hard Japanophile. The gameplay sounds interesting, but I pretty much consider Nomura's involvement to be the kiss of death for any game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Frozen Memories
Mein Donnerkeil

Member 26940

Level 8.46

Dec 2007

Old Dec 18, 2007, 03:18 PM #15 of 79
PASS. This sounds absolutely dreadful for anybody who's not a die-hard Japanophile. The gameplay sounds interesting, but I pretty much consider Nomura's involvement to be the kiss of death for any game.
Haha... I"m not very fond of Nomura's work either... but, then again, this game DOES look promising, at least to me. I'm wiling to look past it if the battle system and story can deliver.

FELIPE NO
Jochie
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 466

Level 19.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 18, 2007, 04:23 PM Local time: Dec 18, 2007, 02:23 PM #16 of 79
It sounds kind of cool, but after watching a video clip I find it looks WAY too remniscent of KH: Chain of Memories. I bet it's really, really repetitive.

Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2007, 08:36 PM #17 of 79
Haha... I"m not very fond of Nomura's work either... but, then again, this game DOES look promising, at least to me. I'm wiling to look past it if the battle system and story can deliver.
Would you be saying that when Versus XIII eventually releases to Japan and then the U.S? Though, I hate to burst your bubble guys. But trailers like those hardly do any justice. Playing the game and watching are two different things.

~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~

Last edited by Zeta26; Dec 20, 2007 at 01:24 PM.
Firefly
Shadow Company

Member 720

Level 20.05

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:17 PM #18 of 79
I really don't see why they had to change the location, though...
I'll have to agree with you here; there's no real reason to do much of anything other than translate. Honestly, I think it odd to assume that US gamers are comfortable with all manner of alien worlds (high-fantasy or otherwise), yet would be turned off by something from across the Pac.
If nothing else, the setting would ensure that it stands out from the crowd; whether that is for good or ill is a judgement I leave in the hands of the players.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 02:10 PM #19 of 79
I tried it out a whle back. Didn't really understand jap (obviously) but the gameplay is pretty trippy. So not knowing what's going on, gameplay and the OST is what kept me going. Can't wait for this to hit our homes.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:03 PM #20 of 79
Thread bumpage, again. Sorry. ;_;

So the European ROM just got dumped online today. Has anyone tried the English version yet?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Nintendonomicon
Mama's boy

Member 1640

Level 16.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:22 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2008, 03:22 PM #21 of 79
Really looking forward to this game. I couldn't really understand the combat system from the videos I watched, but the game looks very interesting.

It's actually kinda refreshing to see a game where the character design by Tetsuya Nomura doesn't suck all flavors of awful.

How ya doing, buddy?
Return to Crystal Lake...

My Wii Friend Code 1942-4227-2974-0276
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:04 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2008, 09:04 PM #22 of 79
Gonna try it in just a few minutes here...

How ya doing, buddy?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:08 PM #23 of 79
You have to put the stylus to work for this game. No worries since in every event battle in the beginning has a little tutorial. Funny cuz when I played the jap version , it wasn't too hard perform slash attacks but in the US it took me a while ;p.

FELIPE NO
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:37 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2008, 10:37 PM #24 of 79
The difficulty was bumped down a bit (not too much though) for the US version, but I don't really mind I guess, since they nixed the idea to make it take place in America.

Shiki is voiced by Colette from Tales of Symphonia. Not sure how I feel about that. Neku is voiced by some fellow who has only done some minor roles in kid shows.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:48 PM #25 of 79
I believe the game still takes place in Japan. Early in the game, Neku does mention Shibuya and why he's still there or something like that.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [DS] 'World Ends With You' (aka It's a Wonderful World) coming Stateside