Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

New RPG To Play

han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 09:23 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 05:23 PM #1 of 32
New RPG To Play

I am a big RPG fan. I played a lot of FF when i was little and now i have repeated FFX twice and finished FFX-2. While waiting for the FFXII to come out, I want to find a good RPG game to play, something good because i haven't had good luck while choosing my last two RPGs (Arc The Lad and Drakengard 2). Now the first was REALLY bad and the second was decent but repeatitive. SO guys, what good RPG games can you recommend me right now?

I have a PS2 at home and a PC just so you know.

I was thinking of Grandia III or Kingdom Heart II or Dragon Quest (the last one).

So what do you advice me guys?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:30 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 10:30 AM #2 of 32
Suikoden V, Dragon Quest VIII, Shadow Hearts, Shadow Hearts: Covenant, Star Ocean: Til the End of Time {which is a greatest hits title I think}, Knights of the Old Republic {on PC}, Knights of the Old Republic II: Sith Lords {on PC}, Fable: The Lost Chapters {on PC}. These titles range from decent to excellent, so no doubt you will find one or more of them enjoyable.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:32 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 07:32 PM #3 of 32
Can I ask what is the best one out of those in your opinion?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:43 AM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 10:43 AM #4 of 32
It's hard to say really. Shadow Hearts: Covenant is a solid game in almost every way, I got a lot of enjoyment out of Star Ocean and put probably 120+ hours into it, both Knights of the Old Republic games are very good and have a great deal of replay value, especially for people who are big Star Wars fans. It would be a toss-up between those titles I guess, though you can probably get the first Knights of the Old Republic for really cheap online, and I would play it before playing the sequel.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:08 PM #5 of 32
Definitely go with Shadow Hearts series. all the three. Covenant is the best in the series, but I suggest to get them all.

I was speaking idiomatically.

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 12:17 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 08:17 PM #6 of 32
I'll check all of those on gamespot.

Shadow Hearts: From the New World

It is the newest of the series. It is rated 8.2/10. If I get this game will i understand it without playing the other two?

And still checking both games, The Covenent and From The New World, and it seems that The Covenent is the better game. A game 2 years older then the new one has better graphics.

And another thing. Some guy suggested Fire Emblem. How about it?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by han89; Jun 14, 2006 at 12:56 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
The Burniator
Banned

Member 7974

Level 7.02

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:10 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 12:10 PM #7 of 32
I'd recommend Kingdom Hearts II if you liked the first. But if not then I'd go for Dragon Quest VII.

FELIPE NO
han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 09:12 PM #8 of 32
I haven't played the first Kingdom Heart. But i will check those games too.

Until now, my choice is Shadow Hearts: The Covenant.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 01:15 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 12:15 PM #9 of 32
Originally Posted by cubed
Definitely go with Shadow Hearts series. all the three. Covenant is the best in the series, but I suggest to get them all.
Also, they are unique, imho. Unique storylines, characters, setting, battle systems, graphics. I'm playing through all three and am about 1/2 way through SH1 currently. Each locale/scenario is well-crafted and self-contained yet fits into the larger picture very nicely.

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:11 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 12:11 PM #10 of 32
Shadow Hearts: Convenant is definitely not a standalone game, speculative. The events are directly triggered by the ending of Shadow Hearts, and half of Covenant either doesn't make sense or has little to no meaning unless you've played the original.

han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:13 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 10:13 PM #11 of 32
So i need to play the first game to undestand the second?

Most amazing jew boots
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:26 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 02:26 PM #12 of 32
Pretty much. But don't worry, Shadow Hearts 1 may be an early PS1 game but it is quite good. The voice acting is almost nonexistent, thank god. They had horrible, horrible acting jobs on the intro & ending FMVs.

Anyhow, Shadow Hearts: Covenant follows the main character from #1 (Yuri) after #1's events.

I despised the third Shadow Hearts (From the New World). #2 pivoted on really huge emotional ties that Yuri had, really making the game quite depressing at scenes. #3 had all new characters and they were all too zany or two-dimensional to enjoy.

My advice? Don't touch Shadow Hearts: From the New World. Don't touch Grandia III either. Despite what Tails thinks (lol), it is quite a bland, horribly done game with frustrating & cliched characters. I couldn't stomach it for very long. And the opening song was crap. The music in general was a huge step-down from #1 & #2's standards.

Suikoden V is a superb PS2 RPG. It's one of the few that I highly recommend. The game made me feel like I was playing Suikoden I or II over again. THIS is the true Suiko III, in my eyes.

Also, Dragon Quest VIII is quite fun, too, if you're a fan of the series.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 02:34 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 10:34 PM #13 of 32
Cool! I will go with your advice and not touch the 3rd Shadow Hearts. I will be getting the second one for sure, but i hope i can find something on the net to tell me what happened in the first so it doesn't come out of nowhere.

But i will consider Suikoden V too, and i am just about to check it on gamespot.

Most amazing jew boots
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:30 PM #14 of 32
While not exactly new, try out Wild Arms 3/4, and maybe Alter Code F if you haven't played WA1. The biggest highlights are the common "western" setting and the encounter cancel if you ever get bored of random battles. Although, there is much more that comes together to form the appeal of the series.
The storyline is especially engaging with a very strong focus on the unity and teamwork of your group of travellers (as part of each of the installment's stories). I think you'd just hae to try it yourself, it might be an acquired taste, since it's always hard for me to describe the series without being biased.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 03:48 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 03:48 PM #15 of 32
I recommend playing #1. A lot of the intrigue of #2 comes from the fact that you *played* the first =p Just jumping to the second after reading a summary leaves it pretty weak-feeling. Just buy them both real cheap off half.com or something. The first is about 30hrs, the second is about 50-60+hrs, so they'll keep you quite busy.

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:07 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 12:07 AM #16 of 32
Guys, half.com is so freaken expensive compared to the prices i get my games at. I get like every game for around 3 american dollars to 6 american dollars. The problem is to see if the game is there or not. Because the shop i get them from gets only the important selling games.

yangxu
Last Star

Member 972

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 01:20 PM #17 of 32
Tales of Legendia, solid gameplay, good storyline, awesome musics and well developed characters. If you never touched any Tales games, this is the one you should start with.

Shin Megami Tensei or Digital Devil Saga series are also good choices, they are probably the most complex stories you'll ever see in an RPG, unique graphics and outstanding soundtracks accompanying the story should get you going for hours.

han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:24 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 12:24 AM #18 of 32
Now i'm lost! I don't know if i get Shadow Hearts: The Covenant, Tales of Legendia, Digital Devil Saga Series or Suikoden V. Too many options, I may be getting more then one though.

Rydia
ambitious

Member 22

Level 30.86

Feb 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 04:29 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 01:29 PM #19 of 32
I recommend Suikoden V as well. Out of the Suikoden games released for the PS2 (III-V), this one is a solid RPG with plenty to do. The story is well-developed compared to Suikoden III and IV, and I found the gameplay more involving this time around. It's a game worth playing once you get past the somewhat slow introduction.

Suikoden V is also longer than Kingdom Hearts II. If you're looking for something that will keep you busy for 50+ hours, the former is the one to get.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:39 PM #20 of 32
I never put games in my avatar slot, but Suikoden V deserved it...I don't normally put 54 hours into a game, then IMMEDIATELY start over again to get the good ending. Get it if:

-Endearing characters are important to you.
-You LOVE "holy shit" moments during the storyline and lots of plot twists in RPG's.
-You like having lots of customization in battle (6 man parties, 4 man entourage that can be swapped in, plus formations, skills, tons of armor/accessories to mess with...And then there's the full helping of the awesome large-scale battles)
-Replay value is important
-You've been spoiled by "this gen" RPG's...The production values are amazing, right down to the voice acting.
-You want to experience the closest thing a JRPG has to feeling "real"...Between the massive amounts of well-developed characters, NPC's, locations and continuity with the rest of the series (more of a bonus for series veterans though), it's pretty immersive.

I second the introduction thing though...It takes time getting started, but it's necessary.

I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 05:52 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 05:52 PM #21 of 32
Just get Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion dude. Best rpg of all time. Best graphical game to date. And largest/longest. Although you seem to like turn based stuff, so I don't have anything else to menton except KOTOR.

I was speaking idiomatically.
morita-san
Densetsu Hachinen-sei!

Member 8448

Level 1.00

Jun 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 08:18 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 11:18 AM #22 of 32
you could try drakengard 1 and 2 if you like action rpg. 1st one was kinda repetitive but the storyline makes up for it imo.

How ya doing, buddy?
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jun 14, 2006, 08:43 PM Local time: Jun 14, 2006, 08:43 PM #23 of 32
Too bad you failed to read the thread here kind sir. He has already referred to playing them and not liking them.

FELIPE NO
han89
Chocobo

Member 8336

Level 12.35

Jun 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:18 AM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 04:18 PM #24 of 32
Thanks for pointing that out to him. Drakengard 2 was just bad. So until I finish my exams which is next wednesday, i will think what game to get first.

And a friend of mine told me Oblivion was great. He is an Oblivion freak but too bad my PC isn't that great. It seems that the game would be slow on my PC.

Talaysen
I'm busy at work!

Member 1252

Level 9.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Jun 15, 2006, 03:07 PM #25 of 32
I'm going to throw out another nod for the Wild ARMs series. Wild ARMs 4 is my favorite game to date, so I'd really suggest that one. In addition, you don't need to play any of the others to understand it, as they aren't really connected.

Another good one that hasn't been mentioned yet is Atelier Iris 2, but that one might be a little harder to find. Just throwing it out as a suggestion.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > New RPG To Play