Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] BLACK

sabbey
River Chocobo

Member 139

Level 26.07

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 02:29 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:29 PM #51 of 69
Originally Posted by sabbey
Actually, that's what I have been doing! But, unless you go in the RPG enemies won't appear. Anyway, went through about 10-12 times, as I said, cheap...
I just noticed earlier today that you can go in further to the room than I thought before the door closes. Because of that I was able to stay in the tunnel much further back and keep the M249 SAW were it is located and held on to a RPG with a few rounds for later. I also found the Magnum the best weapon to use, with it's 1-2 shots to kill rather than the spray bullets and hope weapons I was using before...

Basically, I was able to take out enemies I couldn't before, so, it helped keep me alive until the RPGs came out.

Originally Posted by Slayer X
I myself managed to do it on mysecond try. But I'll admitt that it wasn't easy and that 70% of it was dumb luck.
I ended up dropping the difficulty to Easy and using the Magnum to take out most of the enemies until I needed the M249 during the last phase of the battle. All in all, I was able to take out most of the problem enemies before even running out of ammo. Then, grabbed the other to take them out while positioning myself to take out the bunkers with the RPG and grenades.

Still, it was a frustrating experience however. Ended up having to replay it just as many times as I had before and strangely enough it took all of my RPG rounds and every other weapon to it's depletion to complete the level. When the bunkers blew and I headed in, I had one bar of health and no ammo. Lucky for me the melee attack took out the guys who rushed at me inside.

Damn, I love the game! But, that whole last part just pissed me off to no end!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 03:59 AM #52 of 69
Originally Posted by Slayer X
I believe because they were using the Burnout Revenge engine which does not have a blood splatter effect within the engine. And seeing how BLACK was just a side project (as many great games are, Katamari anyone?) I can't really see Criterion tearing down parts of the engine just to add blood, where it wasn't REALLY important. Sure it would have been nice, but during gameplay I never really stopped and said "where's the blood?"
K. It's just that if I think of a game like FEAR. It just wouldn't be the same without the bloody mist and gore. Maybe I should just stay out of my thread until I've actual played this game. >.<

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
[/RIGHT]
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 09:04 PM #53 of 69
Well I finished the game awhile agom My final thoughts? Beautiful looking the PS2 and the sound effects for all the weapons and firefights are excellent. The game is fun is small doses though as it gets repetitive real quick, I mean I limited myself to pretty much 1 hour/mission a day.

My main gripes range from dumb enemy A.I to the fact that all the enemies in the game are bullet sponges that take around 20 hits to bring down. The game would of also benifitted from having some blood in there not just for "ZOMG! GORE!" but mainly would of acted as nice visual indicator as to whether or not you're hitting the enemy's armour or exposed body parts.

Overall I'd give Black a 3 out of 5. It's pretty fun (gripes aside) while it lasts, which isn't long...6 hours in total 1 hour for each mission, and would make a great rental but I wouldn't drop $40 or 50 for it. There's no real replayability after you've completed it once aside from extra difficulty modes.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:07 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:07 AM #54 of 69
FEAR is not better than Black for me.FEAR has worst level design with minimal decoration.Repetitive models some times makes the game look so empty,that i cant even describe.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 03:31 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2006, 01:31 PM #55 of 69
Seeing that comparing this game to F.E.A.R. is a running trend, I have to say that Black wins out on ballistics and the environment being detailed and at times realistic to functionality, whereas F.E.A.R. does better with the visceral carnage from firefights and storyline. however, it has the unfair advantage of being patchable to correct its errors and thus improve, something Black cannot do.

Still, Black is a good game to rent and will be good to buy once/if it hits the greatest hits label. While all the hype surrounding it wasn't exactly true, it is a worthwhile play through for at least two times. The lack of multiplayer is what really kills it, and even if Criterion didn't want to make that mode in fear of screwing it up badly, even a flawed version would be better than none. A single player campaign can only entertain so much.

FELIPE NO
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 04:53 PM #56 of 69
Originally Posted by Sexninja
FEAR is not better than Black for me.FEAR has worst level design with minimal decoration.Repetitive models some times makes the game look so empty,that i cant even describe.
Just wondering but but graphics settings were you playing FEAR on? Doesn't sound like you were able to crank em all up or something.

God damn we need who quoted me feature back...

How ya doing, buddy?
[/RIGHT]
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2006, 11:34 PM #57 of 69
I went through this on a rental over the past weekend (Xbox version), and honestly I thought it was a pretty generic shooter. Some of the graphics are great, and the sound is amazing. Buuuuuuuuuuuuut:

-It's really short
-Why do some enemies take 80 bullets to kill? WTF
-The blurriness when you reload is really annoying and bad on the eyes
-Very straight forward and non-linear, "bonus" objectives are crap.
-A lot of the weapons suck.
-Blowing stuff up is cool, but some of it doesn't look that hot, and the game is littered with "red objects that blow up." I thought games had gotten past exploding barrel shit.
-Story....what the hell?
-AI terrible. I had enemies run PAST me, then face the other way while I shot them in the back, etc.
-Unclear what you need to do at times.

It's not a bad game, but it's not a good game either. I'd probably give it a 7/10. Worth a rental if you're bored, but that's about it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 03:29 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 01:29 AM #58 of 69
Like someone had already said like a million times already, F.E.A.R had a story and the atmosphere excellent. I don't see it as another BLACK type where you run around, shoot the living hell out of every single thing in existence including inanimate objects that break down and get destroyed and the story vague.

BLACK is a good game in its own right that provides an adrenaline rush while F.E.A.R gets you involved in the story and the setting. I suppose that BLACK is just too overhyped.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:25 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 07:25 PM #59 of 69
Originally Posted by Jan
Just wondering but but graphics settings were you playing FEAR on? Doesn't sound like you were able to crank em all up or something.

God damn we need who quoted me feature back...

As a matter of fact i did play on very heavy system,fulldetail!
But maximizing detail isnt enough to help empty level design(what i meant).
When i said worst,i meant the levels are so empty at times , harbor level for instance looks like its some MOD ,like counterstrike with Pixelshaders.
Fear is hardware Hog coz of bad programming not because its the best eycandy out there like Farcry.Thats why FEAR needed a 200 mb patch , i mean give me a break 200 mb.
There no such thing as art direction in levels.
Guns are more flashy than realistic.
The sounds of guns are more realistic in Black,infact perfect sounds if one has tried those weapons in reallife.

I agree Black

Was short.
No multiplayer.
No story.

However,i like Black over games like FEAR because Black is organic.The Levels and environment are interactive in a sense that evrything blows up.The particle system,dust particles,debris,holes in walls etc.
Shoot anywhere to see reaction,where as FEAR is lifeless ,i shot on cylinder and i didnt explode.:doh:

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2006, 09:59 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2006, 04:59 PM #60 of 69
Yeah. I played Black on my mate's Xbox. 3D Shooters on consoles still suck balls, and this one is especially shitty.

We played it for about half an hour and then went back to something a lot more awesome: Burnout.

BEST REVIEW EVER

EDIT: To be fair, blowing up stuff is pretty cool, though. I shot a rocket at some guys in a building and the whole building collapsed on their sorry heads. That was exciting. And it sounded fairly good (though not as good as Half Life 2 or Halo or Doom 3).

Last edited by surasshu; Mar 11, 2006 at 10:04 AM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 12:32 AM #61 of 69
I'm enjoying this game. Ever since I played Half Life 2, I've been looking for intense, cluttered, chaotic warfare. FEAR didn't give me that, but this game is.

Too bad I'm stuck on the second level because I suck at taking cover

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 03:42 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 09:42 PM #62 of 69
You guys are all fucking homos.

Black is one of the most enjoyable games I've played in ages. I've got the Xbox version and it's easily the best looking fps on the Xbox, blows even Battlefield 2 out of the water.

I'd hardly say it's short. If you're being a bit cautious and looking for all the secondary mission objectives then each level can take getting on for an hour. It's certainly as long as the original Halo.

Most of all though, it's just so much damn fun!

You don't need to think about it, you don't need to wank about with a sniper rifle, you don't need to conserve your ammo. You just charge in, dodging from cover to cover spraying bullets about like a loony and blowing shit up. Crank the sub up to 12 and feel the floorboards shake while you do it.

I think some of you kids take your games a bit too seriously these days. Black is way more fun that any other fps I've played in ages.

Admittedly, my pc isn't up to running modern games very well so I only really play on consoles but I think it's an awesome game.

Also, I like the blurry reload effect so there.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:16 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:16 PM #63 of 69
YEAH HOMO FOR NOT BUYING HYPE.
gtfo plz.

no homo
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:17 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:17 PM #64 of 69
Originally Posted by Zip
YEAH HOMO FOR NOT BUYING HYPE.
gtfo plz.
Dude, I don't enjoy it because it was hyped. I enjoy it because it's simple, unashamed fun. Try actually playing games for fun once in a while rather than analysing the shit out of everything and trying to look all HARDCORE GAMER and cool in front of your mates.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:20 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:20 PM #65 of 69
It was a bad reply i admit it. but you called everyone homos because we didnt like the game, which makes your post no better then mine. Sorry.

no homo
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:21 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:21 PM #66 of 69
Well, anyone who doesn't like a game that's this much fun must be a homo, right?

To be honest, Eleo's was the last post I saw before replying and "Homo" was the first insult to spring to mind.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:28 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 11:28 PM #67 of 69
hahahaha ok.
I couldnt enjoy it because of the reasons in my first post. But sorry if i sounded rude (i wasnt like serious).

no homo
ComCrimson
MYV

Member 115

Level 12.39

Mar 2006

Old Mar 14, 2006, 04:46 PM Local time: Mar 14, 2006, 10:46 PM #68 of 69
I'm not really into FPS all that much, but i have to say, this game is amazing. It's solid as hell, but also enjoyable at the same time. I'm on the fourth mission currently ('cause it's pretty damn hard, even on easy!) and i'm really into it. The funnest thing is when you get the RPG, and you can blow people into smitherines. One of the best FPS' i have ever played. Better than Perfect Dark i think, and that;s my favourite FPS (the original, not Zero, i don't own a 360 )

Cheers B4!
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 10:43 PM #69 of 69
Originally Posted by Shin
To be honest, Eleo's was the last post I saw before replying and "Homo" was the first insult to spring to mind.
I lol'ed.

Anyway, thanks for your input Shin I figured that would be the same way I would look at it since I like to search around and take my time, it would probably take me about that amount to finish each level judging by what you said.

[/RIGHT]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] BLACK