Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

nwzinc's art thread - ARISENED FROM TeH GRAVEZ!

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 06:56 AM #1 of 38
nwzinc's art thread - ARISENED FROM TeH GRAVEZ!

So yeah, I used to post here a few board-wipes ago. I'm not sure if anyone still posts here that I'd remember or not, but I figured since I can't sleep right now (damnable insomnia) I'd post some on GFF.

Also, I have an issue with a drawing I did. I need it critiqued, so I figured I'd make myself an art thread to post some junk. Have at it. Rip it a new one. Please, for the love of God.

Oh, and for some context on this particular picture, it's my paladin from WoW.

EDIT:

Also, to see a more complete listing of my work, go to

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by VitaminZinc; Nov 9, 2006 at 01:54 PM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 2, 2006, 08:15 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 09:15 PM #2 of 38
ZINC IS NOT A VITAMIN!

Anyways, with regard to your drawing, I think the proportions are ok, I just find the hands and feet a bit too small.

SUP ZINC!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:13 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 01:13 AM #3 of 38
It seems like the right arm (her right) needs to be a bit longer. The hands and feet are pretty small. Compare it to the head, it usually covers the entire face from the chin to about the top of the forehead. The hand looks like it's about half the length of the head. Everything else seems pretty proportionate.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:07 AM #4 of 38
I was going for a foreshortening kind of thing (3/4th, slightly overhead view) when I drew this. So I have more than obviously failed this attempt at perspective.

I can totally see where you guys are coming from after glancing at it again. So here's the real question-- Any idea on how to fix it for the perspective I was aiming for?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by VitaminZinc; Nov 3, 2006 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:14 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 10:14 PM #5 of 38
I 'felt' the foreshortening look you attempted, maybe it needed shorter legs to achieve the depth of perception, and the whole figure should have a slightly inverted triangle look.

whoa Kazyl and I share the same flag. ftw.

Most amazing jew boots
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 02:45 AM #6 of 38
Got tired of messing with my paladin picture, so I was just messing around with Photoshop to sketch out Rangiku Matsumoto from Bleach. Here's what I came up with.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rangiku01.jpg (110.8 KB, 38 views)
Kazyl
Good Chocobo

Member 1774

Level 17.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 03:38 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 01:38 AM #7 of 38
Pretty swell. Although I would like to see some more line variation where the outline is concerned. It just feels too heavy.

FELIPE NO
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:02 AM #8 of 38
Yeah, I can see that. I've been messing around with brushes in PS and haven't quite found a setting that's given me the variation I want. Maybe I just need to manually change it, though.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
MeyrinMai
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 14930

Level 2.00

Nov 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 12:15 PM #9 of 38
Your drawing is nice and I like how you did the eyes I cant draw eyes so good

-----------------------------------------
aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:56 PM #10 of 38
Go to manga revolution, go to tutorials, and find Augustc4's
"Digital Painting / Spicy Curry Brush"
. (Sorry, can't post links yet)

For me I find this one works very well. A better grasp with the tablet/mouse will be needed though. I also lower the opacity when I'm painting.

With lineart, if you're drawing it on the computer over the scanned sketch, the larger the initial image is, the better. It's easy for you to apply outline, and when you shrink it, messy/f*cked up lines will seem nice and clean. During scanning, I usually put it at 300 dpi and then after the line/color I shrink it to 100. Some people go higher though.

Hope that helps.

How ya doing, buddy?
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 8, 2006, 09:28 PM #11 of 38
New sketch on my site. It's of a NE Hunter. I drew it for a friend of mine.

http://www.bio-hazardous.com/images/...ge.php?pos=-97

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 03:56 AM Local time: Nov 9, 2006, 02:56 AM #12 of 38
Looks pretty good.

Here's my critique though if you want it. Your line weight isn't consistent. There are places where it works, and places where it doesn't. For example: on the arm on the right of the page, the line work is flattening out the shape of the contour, as it's too heavy on both sides. A clean line of varied weight will add a lot.

It looks like you're getting the hang of foreshortening, but I'd keep practicing with it. Keep drawing difficult poses that overlap or are from strange angles. They make for more dynamic composition anyways.

Finally, I'd clean up your lines. I understand that it's just a "sketch" but there's no rule that sketches have to be messy.

BTW, how long did this one take you?

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 9, 2006, 01:52 PM #13 of 38
Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
Here's my critique though if you want it. Your line weight isn't consistent. There are places where it works, and places where it doesn't. For example: on the arm on the right of the page, the line work is flattening out the shape of the contour, as it's too heavy on both sides. A clean line of varied weight will add a lot.
Thanks for the advice. I don't think I would have caught that otherwise, but I definitely see it now that you point it out.

Also, critiques are always welcome. That's pretty much why I post here--so I have more than 1-2 opinions on my work.

Originally Posted by MetheGelfling
BTW, how long did this one take you?
It took about... an hour and a half from scribble to rough sketch, and from rough sketch to slightly cleaner sketch. Hopefully this weekend I'll finish this one up and go back to work on another piece or two. ...Damn school taking my free time.

I was speaking idiomatically.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 03:04 PM #14 of 38
Finished the linework for the NE Hunter. I'm kind of iffy about it. I like what I've done in one way, but it still just doesn't seem right to me--both anatomically, and stylistically. But oh well!

Take a look and critique it, please. I kind of want to start working on coloring soon.

aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 08:12 PM #15 of 38
WHOA what happened to that boob...er...to those boobs. The breasts are too big, low, and the shape is off, especially when she's in that position. The arm holding the bow, the upper half is too short. Think in terms of elbows end at the start of your hip bone. The butt is also too small, causing the thigh to be too small. The other leg is misplaced as well, seeing how where it currently is, the pose is not possible. Draw as if the other leg was not blocking your view, you'll see what I mean.

Besides anatomy, the lineart is pretty nice. Different in line weight and all, but I feel the hair is too chunky/hard at some points. Like those three jagger parts to our right. Keep working on it.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by aiyaitsai; Nov 14, 2006 at 11:11 PM.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:12 PM #16 of 38
Thanks for the input. I knew there was some things horribly wrong with it, but I just couldn't place my finger on it yet.

And yeah, I hate the way her hair looks. Probably cause it's another of those things I've never thought about before. Yay for learning how to draw again...

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 09:47 PM #17 of 38
I think it's coming along quite nicely. Her tits are rather large, but hey, who doesn't like big tits?

One thing about this pic is that it's pretty obvious that you took a lot of time to detail and refine the line work. This can be cool in some instances, but at the same time, you loose a fluidity/lifelike quality when you get your nose down in it. This results in a stagnent look that might give your stuff a "clip-art" quality. I'd recommend just doing a billion gesture sketches, and then building those up. The fluidity that comes with gestures will really help the life-like quality of your work. Even if your work is stylized, having your characters appear more alive always helps.

Keep it up! I wanna see where you're going with this one. You gonna color it next?

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 11:32 PM #18 of 38
Yeah. I'm trying to find some kind of middleground between nice linework and still keeping my lines sort of different at the same time. Hard to explain really, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

And having used no reference for this drawing probably wasn't the smartest idea since I'm having to think about the position and everything now. But anyway... what's done is done. lol

I just 'finished' the picture again. To be honest, I'm kind of getting sick of looking at it for now. So I might just go to coloring it now. Who knows.

How ya doing, buddy?
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: Nov 16, 2006, 02:58 AM #19 of 38
yo nwzinc, do you mind if i color the pic too? i'm curious to see the stylistic differences in how they'd turn out. if you'd rather me not touch it though, that's cool.

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 11:08 AM #20 of 38
Have at it. I don't mind at all. lol

VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 09:23 PM #21 of 38
Here's something I've been messing around with in Maya for a while. I'd actually not touched it since finishing the initial modeling cause I couldn't get the texturing to look how I wanted. Last night, I just kinda sat here and messed around with it till 9am. This is the result. Still not perfect in some areas, but closer than my initial attempts.

You can see a few more renders I did here: http://bio-hazardous.com/images/thumbnails.php?album=8

I was speaking idiomatically.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 11:10 AM #22 of 38
It's a temple!

Can't really comment on renders since I don't know jack about how those works.

Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Nov 20, 2006, 11:28 PM Local time: Nov 20, 2006, 09:28 PM #23 of 38
Where is Ulysses when you need him?

The building is looking very nice so far. The roof tile doesn't seem to want to bump map very well. Hmm, I remember Ulysses say something about a special mapping that alter the surface geometric characteristic, but I don't remember what it was. Hm, how about a wire frame?

FELIPE NO
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:11 AM #24 of 38
Yeah, the tile is messing up some. I'm going to ask my professor about a few of the issues I have with it tomorrow. It doesn't want to lay down correct/straightly, which is why the bump mapping looks off, too. Remapping the poly only makes it worse.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 12:49 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 11:49 AM #25 of 38
Originally Posted by Magi
Hmm, I remember Ulysses say something about a special mapping that alter the surface geometric characteristic, but I don't remember what it was.
It's called a displacement map, and it does actually alter the geometry of the mesh.

Maya lighting is a bitch.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > nwzinc's art thread - ARISENED FROM TeH GRAVEZ!