Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS2] Final Fantasy XII

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Nov 2, 2006, 10:50 PM #1776 of 4284
You know, I have to agree with FFVIII holding that certain enduring charisma to it's characters. There was something about the personal struggles with Squall and the gang that I really appreciated, much more than the level I am with any of the characters, despite their serious natured backgrounds, in this current Final Fantasy installment.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:07 AM #1777 of 4284
I will never understand you kids and your FF VIII love. It has one of the most contrived, god awful story lines I've ever seen in my life. Be it movie, book, game or lymeric scrawled in a bathroom stall. The same orphanage? Space? One of them remembers the orphanage but doesn't say anything because LOL? And Squall isn't fucking worthy of being redeemed. He never does a damn thing but mope and cry. And about what? That he's mopey and unfit for command? Abso-fucking-lutely he is. And that never changes. Irvine is a coward and so one-dimensional it hurts, Selphie is a joke and not worth talking about, Quistis is practically tacked into the story, Rinoa is godawful as a love interest, Zell is at least amusing, but that's all he is, a joke character. The charisma of the characters? Jesus fucking christ, people. You must be the people who watch Smallville and call it "brilliant." They have no charisma. They're thoroughly unlikeable. I'd rather watch a Gorilla rape my grandmother than sit through VIII again. The music is top notch, and the battle system has its perks, to be sure... but it is the single worst story I've ever seen in my life. Rinoa is so convenient. And Edea at the orphanage? COME ON. I mean, how can you possibly defend this shit? What possible reason?

How ya doing, buddy?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Freelance
"Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads."

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:08 AM #1778 of 4284
I feel that I just had to respond to your post, Spatula. I never thought I'd find someone else who had the same feelings for FFVIII that I had. I loved the way the characters interacted with each other. I, for one, never understood why people were claiming Squall was a turd/ass/whathaveyou. I personally thought he was a fairly deep character, and the way he matures throughout the game looked darn believable to me. In my personal opinion, no other FF game (FFXII included) has made me feel deeply connected with the characters. Squall and the gang could have easily existed in our world as normal people. I could identify with them all. Laguna especially seemed like he'd make a great dad to have. Bah, I can't explain these things well : /

It's the characters personally that makes the game stand out, Denicalis, being more believable than characters in other games, and the fact the game revolved around them more than the main plot. I don't expect everyone to understand why we love FFVIII.

Well, I'm probably going off topic since this is supposed to be about FFXII

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Freelance; Nov 3, 2006 at 01:10 AM.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:09 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:09 AM #1779 of 4284
Originally Posted by Freelance Wolf
I feel that I just had to respond to your post, Spatula. I never thought I'd find someone else who had the same feelings for FFVIII that I had. I loved the way the characters interacted with each other. I, for one, never understood why people were claiming Squall was a turd/ass/whathaveyou. I personally thought he was a fairly deep character, and the way he matures throughout the game looked darn believable to me. In my personal opinion, no other FF game (FFXII included) has made me feel deeply connected with the characters. Squall and the gang could have easily existed in our world as normal people. I could identify with them all. Laguna especially seemed like he'd make a great dad to have. Bah, I can't explain these things well : /

Well, I'm probably going off topic since this is supposed to be about FFXII...
Deep? DEEP?!

Why, because he has a horribly lame inner-monologue? Or maybe it's the way he's shallow and acts like a cardboard cut-out through the whole game? You'd get more depth out of a Terry Goodkind novel.

But they didn't HAVE personality, that's the problem. They were so two-dimensional it hurt. Have you never had a real narrative? Have you never seen what an actual characterization can be? Because, Christ, Freelance... VIII is an atrocity. It's the holocaust of video games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:12 AM #1780 of 4284
Lame? His speech during the Garden Battle was great. His words to the mayor of Fisherman's Horizon is inspiring. He may have some faults, but hey, nobody's perfect.

I personally loved his dialogue. He's my favourite VG character.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:13 AM #1781 of 4284
I won't debate that here (but that sounds like a journal entry challenge for another day), but I will speak up to those of you saying it's hard to continue after x amount of hours; play it in shorter bursts. I really think a game like this was made to be taken slowly in order to appreciate all the little details and side missions you can do, instead of plowing through the main story as fast as you can. It's worked for me; I've taken extended breaks and ended up needing more before the day is done.

I just entered the Esterlands again after the Mimic Queen fight (this has some of the best boss deaths I've ever seen), and my playtime is 7 hours, so I'm not sure if I'm going too slow or just about right. If it turns out I'm barely 5% done, though, then I'll be very happy.

I was speaking idiomatically.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:17 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:17 AM #1782 of 4284
Lame? His speech during the Garden Battle was great. His words to the mayor of Fisherman's Horizon is inspiring. He may have some faults, but hey, nobody's perfect.

I personally loved his dialogue. He's my favourite VG character.
And you're probably really into sappy, insipid bullshit in the rest of your life, too. If you think VIII had any depth to it, you have no idea what depth really is. His words to the mayor were hackneyed, and they were forced. "Oh he's brave and good now." And you swallowed it. And his speech during the garden battle comes out of nowhere. He's just suddenly a commander in chief. HORSESHIT. Not since a 12 year old kid trains for 2 weeks and suddenly is able to kill an all powerful ice queen have I been so annoyed with fantasy bullshit. Read a goddamn book. A REAL book and get back to me about how fucking great Squall is.

How ya doing, buddy?

jb1234
Good Chocobo

Member 1985

Level 15.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:30 AM #1783 of 4284
FFVIII is my least favorite of the PSX FFs but it has it moments. The plot is an utter mess and the battle system a royal turd but I liked the characters and most of the music.

As for FFXII, I'm about twenty hours into it and it's pretty enjoyable. I am surprised how boring the plot is though. I'm trying to make myself care about all the things going on but right now, it's basically amounting to one big fetch quest. Go get this item, go meet this person, go to this place, kill the wildlife. Character development went on hiatus about ten hours in and hasn't returned.

Don't get me wrong, the game is entertaining but it's not captivating me nearly as much as TotA did.

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 04:12 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 10:12 AM #1784 of 4284
Man, this game is tough. I'm currently at the Leviathan and I got my ass handed to me repeatedly in that fight with the 6 soldiers. Ouch! The more enemies in an area, the harder it is.
Spoiler:
Yeah, escaping from the Leviathan was pretty much a pain in the ass because most of all, you cannot save before you have to face the boss, which is pretty awesome just in case you bothered to kill all the guards on your escape and have like no potions left

How ya doing, buddy?
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 06:53 AM #1785 of 4284
The leviathan wasn't that hard for me at all
Spoiler:
I beat the judge and his boys with a quick combo from a quickening in one blow.

Only boss I had a problem with was the grassy one in the forest near the vierra village but thats only becuase I was unprepared and ready to shut off the game. Thats basicly the only way I ever died in the game, when my party are completely drained.

Originally Posted by Denicalis
I will never understand you kids and your FF VIII love. It has one of the most contrived, god awful story lines I've ever seen in my life. Be it movie, book, game or lymeric scrawled in a bathroom stall. The same orphanage? Space? One of them remembers the orphanage but doesn't say anything because LOL? And Squall isn't fucking worthy of being redeemed. He never does a damn thing but mope and cry. And about what? That he's mopey and unfit for command? Abso-fucking-lutely he is. And that never changes. Irvine is a coward and so one-dimensional it hurts, Selphie is a joke and not worth talking about, Quistis is practically tacked into the story, Rinoa is godawful as a love interest, Zell is at least amusing, but that's all he is, a joke character. The charisma of the characters? Jesus fucking christ, people. You must be the people who watch Smallville and call it "brilliant." They have no charisma. They're thoroughly unlikeable. I'd rather watch a Gorilla rape my grandmother than sit through VIII again. The music is top notch, and the battle system has its perks, to be sure... but it is the single worst story I've ever seen in my life. Rinoa is so convenient. And Edea at the orphanage? COME ON. I mean, how can you possibly defend this shit? What possible reason?
Honestly now, your trying to convince people how bad FFVIII is becuase of how much you hated it. I could honestly say how I hate XII but that doesn't make it a bad game to everyone.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

New Record!
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 07:45 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 01:45 PM #1786 of 4284
Originally Posted by Shenlon
Only boss I had a problem with was the grassy one in the forest near the vierra village but thats only becuase I was unprepared and ready to shut off the game. Thats basicly the only way I ever died in the game, when my party are completely drained.
Elder Dragon?

Spoiler:
If you don't have Elixirs or Esuna magic, you are pretty much f*cked

Craze
~Need a break~

Member 2021

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:19 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 10:19 PM #1787 of 4284
Man, this game is tough. I'm currently at the Leviathan and I got my ass handed to me repeatedly in that fight with the 6 soldiers. Ouch! The more enemies in an area, the harder it is.

Since it's pretty much the first healing spell you get besides that crappy First Aid, I don't like how it takes forever just to cast Cure. Oftentimes the person dies before you even cast it.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming you're underlevelled or something since Leviathan is pretty early in the game and you have Vossler with you, correct? I didn't have much trouble either, just play around with your magicks sometime. Dark and immobilise really helps when you're against a group of enemies.

As for curing, perhaps you should set your gambit- Allies HP<20/30%- Potion. I'm pretty sure it'd be better than betting on Cure.

So far the difficulty is just alright for me, except for some mob hunts where they could smash your party in one blow. Or perhaps I haven't played enough (on my way to Ozmose Plains)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Freelance

Member 201

Level 37.85

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 09:31 AM #1788 of 4284
Y'know, I probably am underlevelled. I haven't done much with the License board, just getting new weapons here and there. I don't even have any Quickenings yet, which I hear is just great for the boss in the Leviathan. I've got some catching up to do later today :D

P.S. I wasn't intending to start a war with FFVIII :( Glad the discussion's stopped now. I didn't want to be the sole person responsible for derailing the thread, although unfortunately it was started by me. Sorry. Oh well, back to FFXII, people!

P.P.S. Damn, no merchant on Leviathan until AFTER I beat the 6 soldiers? Gahh...luckily I saved to a different slot.

P.P.P.S. No save point before boss? Arrrgh!

Update: Did anyone else besides me thought of Backgammon when we were introduced to B'Gamnon(sp?)

Last edited by Freelance; Nov 3, 2006 at 11:13 AM.
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 12:23 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 10:23 AM #1789 of 4284
Ah shit, I got chased the fuck out when I was in the mines in the sky city. There are two paths to take.

Spoiler:
There's a path going east, and a path going north. I think the east route was blocked off and you had to take the north by default, but that ended up with the Bangaas chasing my guys, and basically almost killing my whoe crew (burned off so many pheonix downs), so could you have gotten to the east path? I'll probably go back in for the mob hunt or something.

Also, if I have a guest character, I make Vaan steal while the rest attack, this way it's pretty good chances I'll get something. I think I stole about 25 bone fragments, bat wings, and all the like.

- What we all do best -
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:07 PM #1790 of 4284
Originally Posted by Spatula
Ah shit, I got chased the fuck out when I was in the mines in the sky city. There are two paths to take.

Spoiler:
There's a path going east, and a path going north. I think the east route was blocked off and you had to take the north by default, but that ended up with the Bangaas chasing my guys, and basically almost killing my whoe crew (burned off so many pheonix downs), so could you have gotten to the east path? I'll probably go back in for the mob hunt or something.

Also, if I have a guest character, I make Vaan steal while the rest attack, this way it's pretty good chances I'll get something. I think I stole about 25 bone fragments, bat wings, and all the like.
You can actually get a hunt in the mines somewhere at that point but its in a far greater level. In fact I got so many hunts on my list that are far too strong so be catious of that

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:12 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 11:12 AM #1791 of 4284
Okay, I'll just continue on and not opt for the hunt then. My guys are about level 12. I just want to clean that place up and explore 100% of the map, as well as keep sealing bone fragments, since they're worth quite a lot when I sell it back.

Also, what is that thing from the Bazaar for 18,000 gil? Whatever it is, that's a lot of cash.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
Simo
Just an old killer. Hired for some wet work

Member 86

Level 24.92

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:33 PM #1792 of 4284
Okay, I'll just continue on and not opt for the hunt then. My guys are about level 12. I just want to clean that place up and explore 100% of the map, as well as keep sealing bone fragments, since they're worth quite a lot when I sell it back.

Also, what is that thing from the Bazaar for 18,000 gil? Whatever it is, that's a lot of cash.
You mean when shops offer you Bazaar? They're basically like "pack" choices where one bazaar can be like a set of 2 Phoenix Downs that save you 100gil or something to the like.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 11:38 AM #1793 of 4284
I know, I've bought qutie a few items from said Bazaar, since I basically sell all my loot to them. But there's one item that they have selling for 18,000 gil, and I don't know what it does. Just checking if anyone else had gotten it before, and so, if they have bought it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

- What we all do best -
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:44 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 08:44 PM #1794 of 4284
I know, I've bought qutie a few items from said Bazaar, since I basically sell all my loot to them. But there's one item that they have selling for 18,000 gil, and I don't know what it does. Just checking if anyone else had gotten it before, and so, if they have bought it.
Giving us the name of the item would help, you know

But knowing only the price, I'd say it's a key item that enables you to steal superior loot from a certain type of enemy. There are several of these to be bought from the Bazaar.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 01:48 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 11:48 AM #1795 of 4284
Yes, I have a terrible memory, even with a name flashed across the screen, I still call places "sky city" or "the mines". It's only after a while that I've been in a place that I can remember the name, ie, Rabanastre, Estersand, Westersand, Giza Plains etc. I'll just start up the game and continue on. I should be getting the LE guide in a hour or so, when I get my car back and can make a special trip to the mall, all just for a guidebook .

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:11 PM #1796 of 4284
you mean Buujerba and the Lhusu Mines. Notice how I mispelled them =D
The 18000gil bazaar item is probably some weapons, maybe a bow. I have am Item waiting for me at 25000gil, still havn't bought it since I wanna buy weapons and magic. You have to spend your money wisely cause I noticed I havn't bought any magic for hours and techniks are pretty much useless to me unless its libra. I bought a few of those during the first 4 hours and then never got any again. All I really needed was white and green magic.

New Record!
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 02:49 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 12:49 PM #1797 of 4284
Yeah, I went into the Lhusu Mines a second time, I usually get Vaan to steal. Steal as many bone fragments and bat fangs as possible, while the other 2 characters attack. You can walk out with a bounty of about 6000-7000 gil, with about 10 bat fangs and 25 bone fragments, and then some other loot. It seems this place is basically closed off, since there's gates that are blocking the main arteries of most of the paths here.

- What we all do best -
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:02 PM #1798 of 4284
I just looked at some character models from the ultiminia book and I don't understand why they gave recks such femenine stance ^^
Spoiler:

I could have sworn I was staring at ashe for a second

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

New Record!
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 03:16 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 01:16 PM #1799 of 4284
I think Larsa is a cutie boy, and quite knowledgable for his age, being that of twelve years young. I know sound like a VG, god damn that's gross. I honestly thought he was a she, when I first saw the picture. Now when I see Vayne, I think of Seymour from FFX - must be the hair - must be.

FELIPE NO

- What we all do best -
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 04:02 PM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 03:02 PM #1800 of 4284
Originally Posted by Shenlon
Honestly now, your trying to convince people how bad FFVIII is becuase of how much you hated it. I could honestly say how I hate XII but that doesn't make it a bad game to everyone.
No, mate, I was arguing narrative and character development, something you can academically look at. Anyone who's done any reading beyong MySpace and R.L. Stein can spot bullshit when they see it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS2] Final Fantasy XII