Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 07:46 PM #76 of 1376
On a related note, when is the new Slayer album supposed to come out? I heard that it was supposed to come out like Oct. last year.

How ya doing, buddy?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:30 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:30 PM #77 of 1376
I'm hearing a tentative July release.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:34 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 05:34 PM #78 of 1376
Originally Posted by S?ecter
Have any of you guys heard of Rhapsody? They're awesome, like an Italian(but sing in English) Sci-Fi Fantasy Metal Band! It's awesome, if you want an idea what they're like, download the song "Emerald Sword" or go to their site here for more details...
I think I am thinking of the right band, but my friends completely dig that band. Me, on the other hand, I cannot take them. There is something odd about them that I just dislike. I do like a band that has a semi similar sound, which is Sonata Arctica, but Rhapsody just isn't for me. (If I am thinking of the right band)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 08:47 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 07:47 PM #79 of 1376
Yeah, Rhapsody isn't really for me either. I'm not really into the whole epic/symphonic/middle earth deal. BUT, that video on their site for "Unholy Warcry" featuring Christopher Lee is priceless. Dio himself could have made that video.

FELIPE NO
Lyth
God of Ruin

Member 406

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:37 PM #80 of 1376
Personally, I'm a fan of Amon Amarth. I like a lot of their music, plus their guitarists are pretty good. Just my personal opinion though

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

I am not a clever pony...
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 08:56 PM #81 of 1376
Ok, so I should have left out the Tolkien reference in my post about Rhapsody. I'm not really into epic/symphonic/power metal. I had forgot about Tolkien-named bands like Amon Amarth and Cirith Ungol. No reading preference means bad music.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 10:29 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:29 AM #82 of 1376
Summoning are probably the only Tolkien-influenced band I really like.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:27 PM Local time: Mar 6, 2006, 10:27 PM #83 of 1376
You don't like Blind Guardian? too bad, They're easily, IMO, the best Tolkien inspired band out there.

When i hear bands like Sonata Arctica, and Rhapsody, i like them, but i don't get the same feel as i do with Blind Guardian. Maybe it's just cause i listen to BG more heavily then the others.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
HightopNinja
Ninja in Hightops

Member 2115

Level 7.28

Mar 2006

Old Mar 6, 2006, 11:34 PM #84 of 1376
Well, I'll be seeing Buckethead on the 24th of March, then the following day CKY. It should be an interesting weekend for me.

Just recently grabbed the latest Dragonforce album, which completely owns for all my power metal people out there. Also decided to download some older DIO and Bruce Dickinson stuff..been enjoying that emmensely.

While not necessarily metal, has anyone heard the new KMFDM album? I heard the first two tracks the other day, and I'm just curious if its worth a purchase.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:18 AM #85 of 1376
Not many people have ever heard of Arsis and it is a shame as they are probably one of the most talented and fresh metal bands around these days. So here is their entire first album for download.

Arsis - Celebration of Guilt ( 2004, Willowtip, Death metal )

Track Listing:

Note: KT denotes Key Track

1. The Face of my Innocence 5:33
2. Maddening Disdain 3:30 [KT]
3. Seven Whispers Fell Silent 3:46
4. Return 4:42
5. Worship Depraved 3:02 [KT]
6. Carnal Ways to Recreate the Heart 4:52 [KT]
7. Dust and Guilt 4:25
8. Elegant and perverse 2:23
9. The Sadistic motives behind Bereavement Letters 4:25 [KT]
10. Looking to Nothing 3:22
11. Wholly Night 4:20 [KT]

"Musical genres are constantly going through phases, regardless of their popularity or mainstream acceptance. Even in the darkest depths of the underground metal scene, there are clearly recognizable models that are devoutly adhered to. That is, until someone comes along and changes the way we perceive what is possible within the confines of a certain musical form. The history of metal is littered with examples of these types of paradigm shifts. In the early 1990s, two albums came along that would forever change the world of rock's perception of death metal. Carcass' "Heartwork" and At The Gates' "Slaughter of The Soul" took the basic death metal formula and infused it with a tangible amount of melody. For the first time, the worlds of Iron Maiden and Morbid Angel came together. Melodic death metal was born. Hordes of great bands from across the world jumped into the fray, releasing soon-to-be classic albums that would in many ways define the sound of underground metal for the next 10 years. Bands like In Flames and Soilwork were even able to cash in on some mainstream success with their expert manipulation of the please-all formula. However, just like all other musical trends that have come and gone, the scene that was created by a few innovators has sadly become watered down by imitators and those who wanted nothing more than to cash in on proven formula. The time is certainly ripe for another paradigm shift. Enter Jim Malone and Mike Van Dyne and their brainchild Arsis. Their latest album, "A Celebration of Guilt," is a clear testament to what happens when musicians aware of their influences attempt to go beyond the well-trodden ground of their forefathers. Comparisons to the progenitors of melodic death metal can be made; however, it is when Arsis drift from the formula that makes this an incredible piece of work. The melody remains, yes, but at no cost to the downright sinister tone this album is able to set. Track five "Worship Depraved" is remarkable in this regard. The song is instantly catchy, but never gets in the way of the dark atmosphere the band creates. The backbone of this album is the chemistry between Malone and Van Dyne. Both are Berklee-trained musicians whose virtuosic playing ability allows them to take their music places others could only dream of. More importantly, they understand how to play together. Not one element of this album overshadows another; each instrument is given plenty of room to breathe to give the album a hefty, layered sound. "A Celebration of Guilt" is undoubtedly a remarkable album that will breathe life into a genre that has been in a creative slump."

DOWNLOAD LINK:
One of the greatest metal albums of the past 10 years

How ya doing, buddy?
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:48 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:48 AM #86 of 1376
Quote:
While not necessarily metal, has anyone heard the new KMFDM album? I heard the first two tracks the other day, and I'm just curious if its worth a purchase.
I am a semi/big KMFDM fan. Their new album, I think kicks ass. It's not boring like their previous release of "Attak", but it's still really good music. Friends described it as "A lot more dancy" but in a good way.

I bought it the day it came out, still listen to it quite a bit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 PM #87 of 1376
Thx Iwata for the album, i will be dling/listening to it shortly. Will edit with thoughts =)

EDIT: Holy shit..their guitars are pretty damn good and they have my complete attention right off the bat, an awesome start. The vocals dont bug me like some black metal either. Awesome stuff, thx again Iwata.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Ramenbetsu; Mar 7, 2006 at 12:57 PM.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 12:52 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 11:52 AM #88 of 1376
I'll download that album when i get home (currently at school). I'll post my thoughts later. thanks for the link.

Little Brenty Brent Brent
Bulk's not everything. You need constant effort, too.

Member 235

Level 46.36

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 02:40 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 12:40 PM #89 of 1376
Originally Posted by knkwzrd
Ok, so I should have left out the Tolkien reference in my post about Rhapsody. I'm not really into epic/symphonic/power metal. I had forgot about Tolkien-named bands like Amon Amarth and Cirith Ungol. No reading preference means bad music.
Haha, I've never met anyone else who's head of Cirith Ungol before. I was really disappointed in them, 'cause though admittedly I've only heard one song (Finger of Scorn) it starts off SO awesome, and then just gets ruined after the intro is over. =/ I've never been able to forgive them for it.

Most amazing jew boots
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:13 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 12:13 AM #90 of 1376
Listening to Drudkh and Hate Forest nonstop these days. Took time to grow on me but I'm totally addicted now.

Also, been hooked on Ashen Light's Stary Bilini album a couple weeks earlier. I liked Ashen Light's first alnum but that one was a totally awesome surprise. Folky nature influenced instrumental Black Metal at it's best.

Nyep ~

knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 05:45 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 04:45 PM #91 of 1376
Recently, the album I've been playing the most is Venom's "Welcome To Hell". The production is awful. They're not good musicians. The lyrics are ridiculous. Yet, in my opinion, one of the greatest metal recordings of all time. You don't have to be a good musician when you invent black metal.

Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 06:32 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 06:32 PM #92 of 1376
Absolutely a good call on the Metallica, but I question the Slayer. Slayer is one of the few thrash outfits that have stuck to their guns all these years. I don't think they've weakened in the slightest. Along with Motörhead, they are easily the most reliable band in metal. You always know what you're going to get when you pick up their new album.
They kept the aggression, but lost the... good. Are you aware that Kerry King cites Slipknot as an influence nowadays? :/

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:20 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 06:20 PM #93 of 1376
Kerry King liking Slipknot does not mean he can't play guitar. All that means is they got to know eachother after a few festival dates. How can they lose the good when they sound exactly the same? The only thing that's changed is production quality. Anyhow, no point in arguing. I'm a diehard Slayer fan, your opinion is fine.

Most amazing jew boots
Dalkaen

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 07:45 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 07:45 PM #94 of 1376
Well, I don't think they sound exactly the same at all. Kerry King can still play guitar, sure, but I don't think it's used as creatively, and the lyrics have certainly taken a plunge. The line, "Payback's a bitch, motherfucker" just makes me cringe coming from Slayer. In the past, Slayer have had the capacity to be subtly insidious, but now it just seems like loud guitars and yelling. Araya's vocals aren't anywhere near as good as they used to be.

Okay, okay, I know. They had loud guitars and yelling in the past, but I just think it was executed a lot better. Slayer is now rooted in modern popular metal, the kind of metal that needs profanity to sound hardcore. I tried and tried to get into GHUA, but it just sounds repetitive and angry.

But yeah. Opinions.

How ya doing, buddy?
S?ecter
You're a woman, I'm a machine

Member 1665

Level 11.90

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 09:39 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:39 PM #95 of 1376
I've only recently started listening to Opeth, and I'm impressed, some of this is really good! I've heard so much about Opeth, so I figuered I'd be dissapointed when I actually listened to them, but they're awesome! I just dl'd Windowpane and Deliverance, both are really good songs, also downloading In My Time of Need, The Drapery Falls, and Ghost of Perdition, that fits with my five song limit. I always dl only 5 songs from a group, and if I like them enough I'll buy an album, if not, I've got a good opinion on some of their stuff now. I think Opeth might warrant a buy yet!

FELIPE NO
"Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - W.B. Yeats

Nothing on top but a bucket and a mop and an illustrated book about birds
knkwzrd

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:08 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 09:08 PM #96 of 1376
WHEN you buy an Opeth record, I recommend their first, Orchid, or Blackwater Park. Just personal favouites though. They don't have any bad records yet, although I've heard several opinions that Damnation was a weak point.

Dalkaen

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:10 PM #97 of 1376
No, Damnation was good. It just wasn't metal.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:43 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:43 PM #98 of 1376
WHEN you buy an Opeth record, I recommend their first, Orchid, or Blackwater Park. Just personal favouites though. They don't have any bad records yet, although I've heard several opinions that Damnation was a weak point.

Personally, a big fan of Opeth, however I feel that Orchid is their weakest. They really nail it down from Still Life on. I mean you can't go wrong with any of their albums but Still Life and on is more representitive of modern Opeth.

Star Man Aevum
DWN037

Member 1020

Level 8.68

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 12:46 AM Local time: Mar 7, 2006, 10:46 PM #99 of 1376
I got Blackwater Park and sold it after a year. The first few times I heard it, I enjoyed it, but that was it. Every other time afterward it just dawned on me that they are the dullest thing out there. I'd much rather have Turn Loose the Swans stuck on repeat for a day than have to ever hear Opeth again.

Dalkaen

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2006, 06:52 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2006, 06:52 PM #100 of 1376
I think Opeth has a really cool sound, but luckily, they seem to be evolving. I see traces of evolution on Ghost Reveries, with the touches of keyboard, the underrated Hours of Wealth, and Atonement.The opening of Beneath the Mire is unlike anything else I've heard from them.

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] The Metal Thread! (The Zombie Edition)