Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Wired network problems - no network address assigned?

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2009, 05:48 PM #1 of 2
Wired network problems - no network address assigned?

So, I started up my desktop the other day and was delighted to find that the network connection isn't working. It says "Limited or no connectivity" due to the network not assigning a network address to my computer. This is really odd, considering I haven't had this problem in the past and nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is that my computer was off a lot more than normal since I was away at college and only used it occasionally when I came home on the weekends. A couple weeks ago I came home and it didn't work, and I'm just now getting to it since finals are over.

When I view Network Connection Details, there's an IP address (although it's much different than the typical 192.168.x.x one I remember it being), Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. The DNS Server and WINS Server are blank; I'm assuming that's the problem.

I'm running Windows XP, whatever the final Service Pack was. My computer is connected via wire to a switch, which is connected via wire to a Belkin router, model F5D7230-4. My router's DHCP Server Function is on. I've tried Winsockfix in hopes that might remedy it, but no luck.

How ya doing, buddy?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Ernge Juice

Vetamin See

Member 32956

Level 4.85

Feb 2009

Old Dec 12, 2009, 08:22 PM #2 of 2
So, I started up my desktop the other day and was delighted to find that the network connection isn't working. It says "Limited or no connectivity" due to the network not assigning a network address to my computer. This is really odd, considering I haven't had this problem in the past and nothing has changed. The only thing I can think of is that my computer was off a lot more than normal since I was away at college and only used it occasionally when I came home on the weekends. A couple weeks ago I came home and it didn't work, and I'm just now getting to it since finals are over.

When I view Network Connection Details, there's an IP address (although it's much different than the typical 192.168.x.x one I remember it being), Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway. The DNS Server and WINS Server are blank; I'm assuming that's the problem.

I'm running Windows XP, whatever the final Service Pack was. My computer is connected via wire to a switch, which is connected via wire to a Belkin router, model F5D7230-4. My router's DHCP Server Function is on. I've tried Winsockfix in hopes that might remedy it, but no luck.
Some stuff that I learned from doing IT work for a year is do the easy stuff first.

Try updating the driver for the network card.

Unplug the router and switch. Plug the switch in after the router is completely back up.

Maybe try a different cord.

Try to log on to the switch or router to see if anything has changed.

Sometimes sleep modes require some PCs to restart the Network Cards (i.e. Disable/Enable or reboot) to get them to start working.

You've probably tried most of these but they are worth another try just to make sure it's not just a quick fix.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Wired network problems - no network address assigned?