Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 03:51 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 01:51 PM #451 of 3592
Originally Posted by AcerBandit
Yeah that's why I stated that at least some way of transferring you PSX and PS2 games to the PS3 must be possible preferably as painlessly as possible.
If it comes built in to the PS3, great. If it comes separately, okay I'll still buy it if it doesn't cost $25. Sony already pissed me off with the $25 price tag for another 8MB memory card or replacement Dualshock 2.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 03:55 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 03:55 PM #452 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Another thought occures; in your opinion, what would be the best place to reserve a PS3? Gamestop seems like a given, but what about stores like Best Buy? Does one store offer better service or warranty as opposed to the other?
I may be a little biased, but your best bet would be to reserve one at a GameStop/EB Games. We'll probably start taking reserves earlier, and depending on your area, chances are we'll have more available for pre-order from the get-go.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 04:15 PM #453 of 3592
I would preorder online.

You won't have to wade your way through the smelly Sony nerds, and you won't have to take the risk of the store not getting enough units, which is inevitable.

WHOA SORRY GUYS WE ONLY RECEIVED ONE PREMIUM PS3 AND TWO CORES

I was speaking idiomatically.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:40 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 02:40 AM #454 of 3592
Someone might find this interesting:

Originally Posted by Joystick.com
In a radio interview with Générations Europe 1 yesterday, George Fornay -- president of Sony Computer Entertainment France and vice president of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe -- let a little something slip: the PlayStation 3 will cost between €499 and €599. That's somewhere between $613 to $736 in American dollars! He was sure to point out that while this might sound like a lot of money for a game system, it was in fact cheap for a Blu-ray compatible playback system. Yay?
http://www.joystiq.com/2006/04/05/sc...-to-599-euros/

http://ps3.qj.net/SOEE-Vice-Presiden...g/49/aid/14452

Of course, nothing confirmed, but it's starting to sound like a pretty realistic estimate. I remember they said PS2 would launch at $299 in the US and all of Europe first laughed and then proceeded to cry knowing how much more expensive it'd be here.

Most amazing jew boots

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 06:49 PM #455 of 3592
I'm not going to pay any mind to any of the prices until E3. To me, it would be great if the total was $350 at the most, but I'm getting myself ready for a higher price. Regardless, I'm going to make the effort to nab a system on day one, regardless of the price. Because no matter what, you'll definetely be getting a good value.

PS3
PS2
PS1
DVD
Blu-Ray
HDD
Linux OS

How ya doing, buddy?
Taterdemalion
Chocobo

Member 1827

Level 12.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:35 PM #456 of 3592
I'm not going to pay any mind to any of the prices until E3. To me, it would be great if the total was $350 at the most, but I'm getting myself ready for a higher price. Regardless, I'm going to make the effort to nab a system on day one, regardless of the price. Because no matter what, you'll definetely be getting a good value.

PS3
PS2
PS1
DVD
Blu-Ray
HDD
Linux OS
Regardless of that fact, people expect all this to be within the range of $299 to $399. If the PS3 debuts at $500, Sony's going to have a tough time convincing people it's worth it. But maybe I'm underestimating Sony. They did, after all, convince me to buy a $250 handheld system, a price that is very nonstandard.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:55 PM #457 of 3592
I think they can get away with that price just fine as long as they emphasize the value of their system in a snazzy box. Just imagine some slick looking box with "PLAYS BLU-RAY MOVIES!" written across it.

Plus, perhaps like the PSP, they'll add a few more bells and whistles, like an HDMI cable, or a playable demo of MGS4.

Oh yeah, an MGS4 demo would definetley boost sales. I won't get into a debate if an FFVII-remake demo would sell more, since it's still unconfirmed....for now.

Here's an interesting question; is anyone planning to sell their PS2 system in order to get a little cash toward the PS3? I tried to sell my PS1 back when PS2 hit, but I got some crap excuse that the laser lens was too used up to be sellable.

I'm not selling my PS2 for one very simple reason; HD Loader. Until someone creates the HD Loader equivalent for PS3 (might be impossible, or might be simple as hell), I'm sticking with my system.

The Gamecube though, I see no reason of keeping, since Revolution can play all the GC games.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Soldier; Apr 5, 2006 at 07:58 PM.
Phil
Carob Nut

Member 3250

Level 3.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 07:59 PM #458 of 3592
Originally Posted by Taterdemalion
Regardless of that fact, people expect all this to be within the range of $299 to $399. If the PS3 debuts at $500, Sony's going to have a tough time convincing people it's worth it. But maybe I'm underestimating Sony. They did, after all, convince me to buy a $250 handheld system, a price that is very nonstandard.
Did you know that blu-ray players will be around $1000 when they start coming out in the next few months? Having the PS3 selling around half that would be quite impressive if you ask me. There have been speculations that say it costs Sony between 250-350 on the blu-ray drive alone. Total figures were estimating as much as 900 to manufacture the console just a month or two ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the PS3 delivers because on paper it is incredible. I'd see a price as high as 700 being justified but I wouldn't really go higher then 500.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Phil; Apr 5, 2006 at 08:03 PM.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 08:01 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 07:01 PM #459 of 3592

PS3
PS2
PS1
DVD
Blu-Ray
HDD
Linux OS
Linux is free.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 09:15 PM #460 of 3592
But a PC is not. So basically, the PS3 is also a makeshift PC. Perhaps.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:23 PM Local time: Apr 5, 2006, 09:23 PM #461 of 3592
Originally Posted by Phil
Did you know that blu-ray players will be around $1000 when they start coming out in the next few months? Having the PS3 selling around half that would be quite impressive if you ask me. There have been speculations that say it costs Sony between 250-350 on the blu-ray drive alone. Total figures were estimating as much as 900 to manufacture the console just a month or two ago.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the PS3 delivers because on paper it is incredible. I'd see a price as high as 700 being justified but I wouldn't really go higher then 500.
Yes it would be a great deal, for now. But how much did DVD players (and CD players) cost when they first hit the market? Chances are I'll buy one 1-2 years down the road after a price drop and some hardware revisions.
Really anyone who paid $500 for a CD player back in 1990 or a DVD player in 1997, felt like a total ass a few years down the road. By 2000, DVD prices plumeted and buying a PS2 in the US for DVD playback was not the end all best deal. Of course if you lived in Japan, that was another story. Let's just hope Blu-Ray sells well enough to encourage profit on the players, thus making the price fall much sooner.

wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 5, 2006, 11:54 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 03:24 PM #462 of 3592
I remeber the PS1 when released in Australia was in the AU$750 range (and back then CD players did not cost that much). So I would not be surprised by the time PS3 reaches here it's gonna cost AU$1000. Now who the hell would get a console system at that price is beyond me. But since there will be so little of these initially, I can see all the Sony fans snapping these at that price or even beyond at release time and there will probably be shortages which may/not work for/against Sony by generating more hype.

I'll wait till the 2nd/3rd generation before I pick mine up which hopefully by then costs a lot less and also hardware bugs are mostly ironed out.

Most amazing jew boots
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 01:58 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 07:58 PM #463 of 3592
I see you read very little of my last post. =/

The DS has given me what I want to the extent that it's breaking my wallet and I can't get enough. How is that biased? The PSP offers me a whole lot but not in regards to gaming. I'm sure I'll get a PSP one day when the price has dropped and there plenty of games that I want to be had.
This makes absolutely no sense. If I hadn't of read your last post I wouldn't of had quote after quote in replying to it. I said you're biased because you've been picking to pieces the PSP which you probably wouldn't do with the DS.

No doubt the DS is a better handheld in most forms, but I'm not about to completely rule out the potential of the PSP.

Quote:
I remeber the PS1 when released in Australia was in the AU$750 range (and back then CD players did not cost that much). So I would not be surprised by the time PS3 reaches here it's gonna cost AU$1000. Now who the hell would get a console system at that price is beyond me. But since there will be so little of these initially, I can see all the Sony fans snapping these at that price or even beyond at release time and there will probably be shortages which may/not work for/against Sony by generating more hype
I think you mean the PS2. The PS2 was $750 AU, or $1000 NZ. And trust me, there was a large portion of people who purchased a PS2 for that price. It's idiotic to pay that much, but if you really can't wait until Sony have improved on their next generation console, ironing out bugs and issues, you get what you pay for.

How ya doing, buddy?
wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 02:27 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 05:57 PM #464 of 3592
Originally Posted by Elixir
I think you mean the PS2. The PS2 was $750 AU, or $1000 NZ. And trust me, there was a large portion of people who purchased a PS2 for that price. It's idiotic to pay that much, but if you really can't wait until Sony have improved on their next generation console, ironing out bugs and issues, you get what you pay for.
Maybe, but I still remember the PS1 being priced at around that range which was 3 times or more than the SNES in those days. As for bugs in Sony's console I know plenty of people which got the V4 PS2 (which means it was definitely improved from the first release), which were the first ones released in Australia and they're still operating with no repairs and such. Waiting for newer versions isn't always the best case as well since the V9 had problems with the lasers being overpowered (or something along those lines) and burning out quicker so go figure. Not to mention the V12 slimline model introduced a host of new problems but that was to be expected from Sony.

How ya doing, buddy?
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:03 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:03 PM #465 of 3592
No doubt the DS is a better handheld in most forms, but I'm not about to completely rule out the potential of the PSP.
And I wonder how many times Acer mentioned he thinks the PSP has massive potential. Maybe this is why he said you didn't read his posts properly.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:06 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 10:06 PM #466 of 3592
Originally Posted by Qwarky
And I wonder how many times Acer mentioned he thinks the PSP has massive potential. Maybe this is why he said you didn't read his posts properly.
Once.

Take it out to the PSP thread.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:27 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 12:27 PM #467 of 3592
Once.
That is incorrect, this is why he thought you haven't read his posts properly.

And don't reply to an off-topic subject and then play the "we should stop talking about this" card. That's just ridiculously bad form.

Most amazing jew boots

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 04:47 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 10:47 PM #468 of 3592
Don't get me wrong. The PSP has enormous potential but so far it's not been used all that much in its game lineup.
I’ve stated that the PSP has a lot of potential and that its media features have done some great things for people.
Okay, fair enough. I do suppose recognition of what he's previously mentioned could count as twice.

But while super moderators are in the position to freely derail threads, I am not. I'd rather not get into this(otherwise I'd bold a few comments which felt biased which Acer had, in an endless chain of quotes) for the thread's sake.

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:22 AM #469 of 3592
Ok dude. What the hell are you trying to prove?

I don't play PSP games. Why? I don't have a PSP. Why? It's too expensive for the amount of games I'd get out of it. Why? It's $250 and doesn't have enough games I'd like or am interested in YET to warrant a purchase.

Also, I didn't ever derail. I went with the topic at hand at the time. However, when after that topic has passed and you bring this crap up again then yes you are derailing the thread. Now tell me what your fucking point is and what you are trying to accomplish right now or do one of three things: get back to discussing PS3, leave, and if you refuse to do one of those two and are wasting everyone's time with whatever it is you might be proving I will force you to leave this thread.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 05:32 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 11:32 PM #470 of 3592
And now that you're saying that you didn't derail the thread? Holy fuck, open your eyes.

On the topic of Lemmings... why is PSP getting a Lemmings game and the DS is not? That hardly makes sense considering the DS would provide much better control for such a game. And really why do they even think PSP owners would be a good target audience for that kind of a game anyway?
What does this have to do with PS3? This is the PS3 thread, is it not?

The only thing PSP has going for it besides fancy graphics and oh god it's a freaking Lemmings game whoopee for graphics is that the PSP has a nice wide screen.
Comments like this are clearly biased. And off topic, at that. I don't know if there's another term for it, because I'll admit, I'm pretty fucking spot on here. I'd like to know just why you're allowed to derail a thread and throw shit around regardling to stuff that isn't even related to the PS3, and then claim that I have no point and that I need to explain myself over yet again because you can't see it.

Take it to the FUCKING PSP THREAD. You're meant to be representing Gamingforce here, not degrading it with rubbish like this. You can't seriously begin to think you can member moderate me for something that you did. Throwing your power around only proves how weak your conversation is. Also, I'm entitled to sleep, and I'm entitled to quote you on something whether the conversation has passed or not. Stop making it sound like I've comitted some god awful crime.

My point has been clearly made. You derailed the thread and defended the DS in a biased, ruined manner in a completely wrong thread. I already said much earlier in this thread that I didn't want to derail this thread by replying to you, but since you managed to get the ball rolling I do suppose there's not much stopping you from continuing. Please stop.

Originally Posted by PS3Land.com
Sony has announced that it will host its pre-E3 press conference on Monday 8 May, two days before the expo officially begins.

Last year, Sony was originally due to deliver its conference on Tuesday, but then changed it to Monday afternoon. It seems they preferred the new day, and so have stuck to it for this year as well.

The press conference will be held is the same location as well: the Sony Pictures Entertainment Studios in Culver City, California.

Although Sony have not announced what the conference will be about, it'd be safe to assume the PlayStation 3 will make some sort of appearance.

Microsoft has already set the date for its pre-E3 conference as Tuesday 9 May at 11:30am.

E3 2006 runs from Wednesday 10 May to Friday 12 May.
Source

I'm quite interested in seeing what they dish out. Mainly Sega's Fifth Phantom Saga is taking my interest, as I've seen quite alot of screenshots and movies of the game and it looks simply awesome. I'm not usually one for first person shooters myself, and Sega are known for releasing a mixed bag of games, anything from Sonic 3 to Shadow the Hedgehog. Nevertheless, it does look awesome, so if there's any news about it at the press conference or E3 for that matter, I'm going to be stoked.

Edit: I know a maturity call is an act of elitism, but ::unsubscribes from thread::

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Elixir; Apr 6, 2006 at 06:13 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2006, 06:56 AM #471 of 3592
And now that you're saying that you didn't derail the thread? Holy fuck, open your eyes.
I said I was talking about the topic on hand. Yeah, that's not derailing a thread. I was connecting dots instead of starting a completely new connect-the-dots puzzle (if you call those things puzzles).

What does this have to do with PS3? This is the PS3 thread, is it not?
The topic at hand was Lemmings. I went with that topic. That's not derailing. Had there been no topic of Lemmings prior and I did that then yes it would be derailing.

Comments like this are clearly biased and off topic, at that. I don't know if there's another term for it, because I'll admit, I'm pretty fucking spot on here.
I was saying what the PSP offers for Lemmings that makes it special for having Lemmings on a handheld device. How is that biased?

I'd like to know just why you're allowed to derail a thread and throw shit around regardling to stuff that isn't even related to the PS3, and then claim that I have no point and that I need to explain myself over yet again because you can't see it.
Again, Lemmings was the topic at hand. Does being a mod perhaps give me more lee-way to being a bad member? Yeah, but I have other staff members that will tell me not to do that and even while I am on staff I am still a member and so I hold myself to the rules as well. So far you still have made no point. You haven't explained anything more than you might have some sort of agenda.

Take it to the FUCKING PSP THREAD. You're meant to be representing Gamingforce here, not degrading it with rubbish like this. You can't seriously begin to think you can member moderate me for something that you did. Throwing your power around only proves how weak your conversation is. Also, I'm entitled to sleep, and I'm entitled to quote you on something whether the conversation has passed or not. Stop making it sound like I've comitted some god awful crime.
Blah blah blah Lemmings topic at the time and then you brought up PSP hating etc.

Hmmm... I suppose you are entitled to sleep. However, I'm not seeing this conversation that has popped up after you were once awake again as more than a question of my authority.

My point has been clearly made. You derailed the thread and defended the DS in a biased, ruined manner in a completely wrong thread. I already said much earlier in this thread that I didn't want to derail this thread by replying to you, but since you managed to get the ball rolling I do suppose there's not much stopping you from continuing.
Okay... let's do a recap.

Quote:
I start with
Originally Posted by Me
On the topic of Lemmings... why is PSP getting a Lemmings game and the DS is not? That hardly makes sense considering the DS would provide much better control for such a game. And really why do they even think PSP owners would be a good target audience for that kind of a game anyway?
To which you reply with
Holy hell, Lemmings for DS is a fantastic thought. Probably thought of before, obviously, but I'm not sure how it would work.

You'd need to have the touchscreen act as a cursor, so the map would be on the bottom screen, and the different selections would probably also be on the bottom screen. So, whatever fits on the top screen, I don't know.

I'd like to know how Lemmings PSP works as well. Gamespot provides useless.
To which I tell you how Lemmings on PSP would work
Originally Posted by Me
Lemmings for PSP is just regular Lemmings with prettier graphics controlled with the nub. There might be some way to switch command types with the face buttons to make it easier and probably L and R scroll the map. The only thing PSP has going for it besides fancy graphics and oh god it's a freaking Lemmings game whoopee for graphics is that the PSP has a nice wide screen.
and then I explain how Lemmings on DS would be better
Originally Posted by Me
For the DS it would probably be a very simple matter. Top screen would show a zoomed out version of most of the map plus all stats. Bottom screen would have abilities to quickly choose from and maybe number of ability use left and the main screen action. Simply tapping on Lemmings would activate their ability. To move the main screen you could do a couple different things. Hold L or R and then tap the screen and drag to move or tap a button on the screen to zoom out quickly, reposition, and zoom back in or the directional pad or anything else you can come up with. There's a lot that can be done with camera. I think a selection box should be displayed on the zoomed out view on the top screen and you just control where that box goes with the dpad. Anyway Lemmings would work extremely well on the DS. Better than PSP in my opinion.
And then you come out of left-field calling me a PSP hater with the following
Okay, listen. I hate the PSP too. But there's no reason to go flying off the hook about how much it sucks - it's stating the obvious. Hell, if companies are stopping UMD movies for it, there's definitely a sign. However, the PSP has advantages over the DS such as emulation which is superior to the GP2X.
Then you go on with some things you like about PSP
Along with a few actual PSP titles, such as DJMAX, Taiko no Tatsujin Portaboloo, Popolocrois and Breath of Fire III which are worth buying, there isn't much else out there. It's still good for emulation, if you're incapable of enjoying emulated games on a Gamepark, xbox or PC.

I don't own a PSP, and I probably wouldn't ever buy a PSP since there's so much fuss over it in regards to dead pixels, but it isn't an outright bad thing to own. I'd like to see how Popolocrois ran on a DS.
And then so I respond by defending myself and tearing your post apart
Originally Posted by me
Amusingly you had already agreed with me with the following in that large post
Originally Posted by me
Why did you bring that up? I wasn't flaming the PSP; just stating truths. Anyone who's played Lemmings for SNES can tell you that it wasn't as good as Lemmings 2 for SNES. Why? Because Lemmings doesn't work very well with a gamepad. It works best with a mouse, and Lemmings 2 for SNES used the Mario Paint mouse for control. Be it nub or dpad for PSP, the DS' touchscreen wins by default in the case of Lemmings. End of story.
With the following before I even came in with talks about Lemmings for PSP
Because it's.. a next generation console and you're playing retro games on it. Lemmings is far, far superior with a mouse, but I won't get into that.
Then you reply to any of my inquiries and make some comments yourself
Most interesting of that is this accusation
Also, I noticed you mentioned 8 must-have titles. The DS doesn't even have that yet. What's the comparison in there?
So I respond with a list of 27 games for DS that I either have or am interested in stomping your accusation into the ground. I also respond to any of the other questions you had and make some comments myself.
Originally Posted by me
Through all this a Kensaki and Taterdemalion made stupid comments about how off the main topic Lemmings for PSP is without adding to either conversations themselves which I took as member moderation to which I asked them to quit. They didn't take that any further so I figured they must have caught my drift.

Meanwhile, you however don't which brings us up-to-date.
So you see you, Elixir, are the one that "managed to get the ball rolling" as you so lovingly put it so I'll ask you the same things as I did Kensaki and depending on how you react I will in kind either let you stay in this thread or ban you from it or worse. You have tried my patience so here come those series of questions, Elixir, rewritten a bit to suit you in slighted context. Ahem...

Was that all too hard to follow, Elixir? There's a big difference between transitioning and derailing. So what was that all about? Were you legitimately confused or were you member moderating? Dear me, I do hope it wasn't the latter.

Edit: I know a maturity call is an act of elitism, but ::unsubscribes from thread::
This actually might save your ass.

FELIPE NO
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 08:32 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 06:32 AM #472 of 3592
Acerbandit wins, why lie.

But the more I think of it, after looking at your sig, Acer, ICO (3) or SOTC (2) + PS3 = Win. No more choppy colossi. Unless they make them the size of XBOX then yeah, everytime you fall off the colossi, you die immediately PRIOR to impacting the ground. The force of the wind and your body reaching terminal velocity would be accelerated by the blu ray disk. Then BAMB!

Back to PS3...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

- What we all do best -

Last edited by Spatula; Apr 6, 2006 at 08:34 AM.
Grubdog
Custom User Title

Member 780

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 10:11 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:11 AM #473 of 3592
Acer, stop replying to Elixir, it's the only way to win and fix threads.
Quote:
Regardless, I'm going to make the effort to nab a system on day one, regardless of the price. Because no matter what, you'll definetely be getting a good value.

PS3
PS2
PS1
DVD
Blu-Ray
HDD
Linux OS
I'm gonna wait til things I actually care about justify the price. PS3s high price point is less justified to me than PS2's was. PS2s "higher than a game system" price was justified because people actually cared about DVDs and it was a necessary and exciting advancement from tapes to discs.

The games are going to have to be damn good to make up for the massive price for me. I could buy a DS, PS2 and a Revolution with a bunch of games for the price of a PS3. One game that could make it worth it is Grand Theft Auto, I hope we see a true next gen GTA at E3, it could be to the PS3 what GTA3 was for PS2.

Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2006, 11:22 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2006, 09:22 PM #474 of 3592
Originally Posted by Grubdog
Acer, stop replying to Elixir, it's the only way to win and fix threads.

I'm gonna wait til things I actually care about justify the price. PS3s high price point is less justified to me than PS2's was. PS2s "higher than a game system" price was justified because people actually cared about DVDs and it was a necessary and exciting advancement from tapes to discs.

The games are going to have to be damn good to make up for the massive price for me. I could buy a DS, PS2 and a Revolution with a bunch of games for the price of a PS3. One game that could make it worth it is Grand Theft Auto, I hope we see a true next gen GTA at E3, it could be to the PS3 what GTA3 was for PS2.
Since there haven't been any official announcements, don't expect GTA on the PS3 anytime soon. It seems like MGS4 will be the first PS3's killer game, the reason people will but the system beyond, well the PS3 itself.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2006, 01:07 AM #475 of 3592
I just cannot, cannot believe that people aren't crying bloody murder over a possible $700 price tag for PS3. I should say "probable" not just possible. When you consider that you are justifying that with "oh it will play Blu-Ray," which means that you are going to be playing it on your $2,000 HDTV... I guess I just figured people like that would be out driving one of their several Ferrari Enzo's rather than posting on a gaming forum.

Are the prices going up, due to inflation? (I recently saw that the $199 price of a new NES system at release is actually ~$360 now adjusted for inflation.) Prices may be going up, but our wages are not. The average wage adjusted for inflation is lower now than it was 30 years ago. All these credit cards are going to catch up to people sooner or later... How is the PS3 going to become a mainstream gaming machine at the prices people are talking about?

If we see the PS3 released at a price above $500, I predict the Sony machines will become a novelty item, and will never become a mainstream platform, even after price drops. People will look at Xbox 360, and Revolution, not see a justification for a 100% price increase, and pass the PS3 by... (Omg - Revolution could end up costing less than half of a PS3! :doh: ) I mean, I hear people say we won't know until it's released what the price will be. I say phooey to that. I've been watching console releases over many generations, and at least through the info channels I've been paying attention to, I've never been surprised at the cost of a console on release date. Will Sony suprise me? They haven't with their last 3 console releases, so I see no reason that this release would be any different, especially with such a large, costly amount of new tech thrown into the mix...

When PS1 came out, CD's had been around for many years and were an old technology. When PS2 came out, DVD's had been around for years and were old tech. The cost of adopting a new tech like Blu-Ray that hasn't even been proven in the market is going to be high... (I will lol like mad if people adopt Toshiba/Microsoft's HD standard instead.)

Lol... any console release that makes me break out in a discussion of the U.S. economy is obviously priced ridiculously high...

3DO comin' liek wut??!!111

Most amazing jew boots
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread