Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Preventing people from using own USB sticks?

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 01:50 AM #1 of 15
Preventing people from using own USB sticks?

Hi

I have a question.
How do I prevent people from using their own USB sticks in a computer lab?
USB nowadays are getting large in terms of storage and many portable softwares are out there. I think you can even run operative systems on memory sticks.

I've heard about PCs using USBs with specific softwares installed in order to login and use the PC. Are these USB specific to the PC or is it just the software that is installed on the USB that makes the USB unique?

If so, where can I buy these USBs...?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 02:18 AM #2 of 15
I'd figure they would just buy a huge flash card (8 gigs +) and install Linux on it. The only one I'm familiar with that you could install on a flash card would be Slax Linux.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 04:13 AM Local time: Apr 7, 2009, 10:13 AM #3 of 15
The company I used to work for had something set up whereby you could only use the company's USB sticks on company computers but I'm afraid I have no idea how they did it.

I don't understand much of it but this article might be of some help to you.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:11 AM #4 of 15
I'll take a look at it.
Thank you

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:00 PM Local time: Apr 8, 2009, 08:00 AM #5 of 15
Here is an alternate link
Disable USB Disks with GPO

If you're on Windows Vista, your job is considerably easier, it seems.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 8, 2009, 05:54 AM #6 of 15
I do want the users to be able to use USB, but not their own

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 12:38 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 06:38 PM #7 of 15
You would need some authentification between the stick and the operating system.

Since the stick is a totally passive device I doubt it will be that easy. Let's see: the only way you can do auth is putting some files on the stick and maybe fiddle around with the device identification values (vendor, product id, etc.).
All of this is clonable. You can copy files and filesystem on the stick and you can probably also clone the indent vals (e.g. by getting an identical stick).

So nothing of this is particularly safe. You could get some custom-made USB sticks which contain auth hw, and only let you access the data storage after auth is completed. That's of course not going to work with regular sticks you use to buy

That's probably what Shin's company did. However I see more problems coming when implementing this. First of all you can't have identical auth data on all devices, since you want to precisely enable/disable devices when a stick gets e.g. lost. Disabling all devices isn't an option... at least if we're talking about a bigger amount of sticks. Then you need to distribute auth data to the clients (the machines that should accept the stick) safely, plus avoiding that anyone toys around with the auth data on their machine.

That's a whole bunch of non-trivial problems...

Most amazing jew boots
Araes
Plush

Member 11574

Level 19.87

Aug 2006

Old Apr 10, 2009, 07:38 PM Local time: Apr 10, 2009, 07:38 PM #8 of 15
Against a concerted employee who's willing to do the research, its near impossible to completely limit access to USB devices, as they've got the hardware, which is a huge disadvantage. At best, you can make it difficult for them to do so, and make the costs outweigh the rewards only for those who have an extreme need.

With custom hardware you could probably assign hardware bits with a hash pattern. It would be repeatable and you would be able to disable selected values out of the hash through administrator pushed updates. However, a determined person with access to several USB devices could probably figure out the pattern. They could also use easier methods like just getting around the administrative privileges on the system itself and disabling the lockout.

You could also have handshake software installed on both, as has been mentioned, which would serve a similar function, but with a few read only files. Again, similar problem that they have access to the hardware, and there are known attacks for most major OS' to enable admin access.

Also, why only company USB devices? Is this to avoid something like USB data theft?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 11, 2009, 02:36 PM #9 of 15
Cannot let prisoners bring their own USB sticks
Hmm...seems like this USB situation is more difficult than I thought.
Maybe its best to disable all use of USB ports.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 03:45 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2009, 04:45 PM #10 of 15
Prisoners?

Okay, so what specifically is your situation? Do you have a kiosk or something which prisoners can access? Why do they need to access said computer, and what kind of information do you have on that computer that they shouldn't be able to download? Or, do you just want to prevent them from running programs on USB disks?

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:27 PM #11 of 15
They might get laptops in their cells. Must first prevent them from running programs on USB sticks.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2009, 04:51 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2009, 05:51 AM #12 of 15
I just read this article a few hours ago at work, and I though it's a pretty simple solution to your query.

Quote:
If strangers have physical access to your PC, it's easy for them to plug in a USB flash drive and make copies of your data. If you're using Windows XP SP2 or later, though, there's a simple way to prevent this from happening.

Go to 'HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\StorageDevi cePolicies', create a DWORD value called 'WriteProtect' and set it to 1. You'll be able to read USB drives, but not write to them any more.
Here's the rest of the article 20 registry hacks to make your PC more awesome

I didn't read the first post carefully.

Most amazing jew boots
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2009, 09:04 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2009, 10:04 AM #13 of 15
Gaming, just lock down the computer something fierce so that they can only run programs that are authorized...

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:48 AM #14 of 15
At the moment, I'm just looking for ideas and suggestions to see what's best to do.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2009, 02:55 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2009, 03:55 PM #15 of 15
That would be my suggestion then. Restrict the prisoners from running all programs except for a list of already vetted applications. This can be done using Group Policies, and is more painless than trying to prevent them from using unauthorized USB sticks.

This Tom's Hardware post refers to Windows 2000, but you should be able to pull it off in XP and Vista as well:
Prevent Running of Unauthorized Program via GPO

FELIPE NO
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Preventing people from using own USB sticks?