Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread

Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 09:58 AM Local time: May 19, 2006, 06:58 AM #326 of 1141
Actually, Lightning is supposedly the protagonist's name. Like with Cloud is with Cloud.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~
NYRSkate
Happy Hour in Hell's Sports Bar

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:44 PM #327 of 1141
Haven't we already thrown that out the window? If that's the font they're going to be displaying names in, I'll be anxiously awaiting the first Final Fantasy XIII/Mountain Dew tie-ins, as well as sponsorship of the X Games and Slim Jim commercials.

FELIPE NO
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 03:51 PM #328 of 1141
Basically, if Lightning was the character's name, we would have heard about it by now on the major game sites.

For right now, it looks like SE hasn't even announced the name (and why would they do so in a screenshot, but not in a press conference)?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:01 PM #329 of 1141
Expect it to end in -a, like all of the other FF Nomura heroines. Tifa, Rinoa, Yuna... Thundaga? Fucking tools.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
<Mercarios> I voted for hut hut, because it's a superior track, but you gotta draw a line between having fun and going too far
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:16 PM #330 of 1141
What about Kairi?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:18 PM #331 of 1141
Originally Posted by NYRSkate
Expect it to end in -a, like all of the other FF Nomura heroines. Tifa, Rinoa, Yuna... Thundaga? Fucking tools.
Are we in a Kingdom Hearts 3 thread here?

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:42 PM #332 of 1141
Pretty sure you said "Nomura Heroines" first before the ninja edit.

In any case, what about Aerith? She was sort of the main heroine first, but that's debatable.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:48 PM #333 of 1141
well there other Nomura heroines that doesn't finish with -a, like Selphie, Quistis, Yuffie.....wait a minute do I see a partern here? XD but still Rikku, Paine and Lulu doesn't follow that. Anyway that not really the point.

I think we should let go about this name thing, and just wait for an official announcement... anyway i'm more interest to see if there will be other character for this FF (I'm sure there will be other but we cans till be surprise)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 04:52 PM #334 of 1141
I just hope we don't have to wait 1-2 years before we're even given her name. I don't know why it's suddenly become a policy to not reveal character names, but I hate it. Just like that whole Roxas nonsense. Does it really create any major spoilers or clues that we couldn't already decipher by knowing his name? I'm all for secrecy, but I at least demand a character's name.

I better not order that figure and get something stupid listed like "Heroine".

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old May 19, 2006, 09:41 PM #335 of 1141
Quote:
In a massive feature article Japan's leading gaming publication, Weekly Famitsuu takes a closer look at Square Enix's Final Fantasy XIII for PlayStation 3. Famitsuu reports that at the time when Square Enix showed off the infamous Final Fantasy VII technical demo for PlayStation 3 at last year's Electronic Entertainment Expo, Final Fantasy XIII was still in development for PlayStation 2. Thereafter, the development however decided to move the entire project over to PlayStation 3.

While not much is known about Final Fantasy XIII's battle system at this point, the article sheds at least some light on a few aspects: At the bottom of the screen, next to the protagonist's HP, another stat called ATB Cost is visible. This hints at a return of the good old Active Time Battle (ATB) system, in one way or another. Apparently every command executed by the player costs a certain amount of those ATB Cost points. Next to the ATB cost stat, one can make out the string "Lighting" . Famitsuu speculates that this is in fact the protagonist's name. Furthermore, in the upper right-hand corner of the battle screen, a circle-shaped gauge is visible. Once the number inside this circle and other conditions have been met, the protagonist can enter a so-called Overclock status. This status has a slow-motion effect, effectively slowing down everyone but the protagonist. However, making use of this ability apparently brings some risk with it. The female protagonist's weapon can be used as a gun or a sword. Depending on opponent and situation, it will be possible to switch between those two functions.
http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2006/1282.html

It probably is Lightning. I don't see what the big deal is. You had an entry in the series with a man named Cloud. Lightning sounds better than that. Not to mention it might not even be her real name. It could be a code name if she's in some type of organization. Honestly, the font style is what made you deduce it couldn't possibly be her name? Then I guess the Playstation 3 is a fake name unless it has massive Spiderman tie-ins we don't know about.

How ya doing, buddy?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:01 AM #336 of 1141
Quote:
It probably is Lightning. I don't see what the big deal is. You had an entry in the series with a man named Cloud. Lightning sounds better than that.
Cloud isn't a spell or a spell element.

It'd be cool if it (or he) was, though.

Cloudaga will turn you into a loli teen.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by INDIGO-2
[url]Honestly, the font style is what made you deduce it couldn't possibly be her name? Then I guess the Playstation 3 is a fake name unless it has massive Spiderman tie-ins we don't know about.
What the holy hell, this doesn't even make sense. No, Playstation 3 is not a video game character's name.

Last edited by Sarag; May 20, 2006 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 03:36 AM Local time: May 20, 2006, 12:36 AM #337 of 1141
Indigo-2 is saying that we shouldn't determine the name is Lightening cannot be her name just cause its in a different font, and he used the PS3 as an analogy cause its in the Spider Man font instead of the original font.

Personally, the name Lightening could be a codename and that her real name means lightening.

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 04:28 AM #338 of 1141
It's not that it's in a different font, it's that it's in a highly stylized font. You have to admit that's unusual for a character's name in battle.

Double Post:
it's it's it's it's it's it's it's

Last edited by Sarag; May 20, 2006 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 09:44 AM #339 of 1141
It's not that it's a highly stylized it's just different from what we're used to seeing, plus it's yellow cuz it's highlighted indicating that the character in control is Lightning.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 11:57 AM #340 of 1141
Originally Posted by a lurker
It's not that it's in a different font, it's that it's in a highly stylized font. You have to admit that's unusual for a character's name in battle.

Double Post:
it's it's it's it's it's it's it's
There's a lot of things new and unique from what I saw in the trailer. I'm not saying you're right, or I'm wrong. I'm just saying we can't rule out her name being Lightning. Even Famitsu is entertaining the theory. Also isn't the spell Thunder? I don't remember a Lightning spell.

Most amazing jew boots
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 12:59 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 09:59 AM #341 of 1141
Well, it's been like this;

Lv 1 - Thunder
Lv 2 - Thundara
Lv 3 - Thundaga

in the case of FFXII

Lv 4 - Thundaja

SunGod
Carob Nut

Member 442

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: May 20, 2006, 07:15 PM #342 of 1141
Dark Ixion also had Thundaja in FFX International. (Or something that was spelt remotely like that)

Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old May 20, 2006, 02:36 PM #343 of 1141
Originally Posted by Zeta26
Well, it's been like this;

Lv 1 - Thunder
Lv 2 - Thundara
Lv 3 - Thundaga

in the case of FFXII

Lv 4 - Thundaja
That's what I thought. So since there isn't a "Lightning" spell, that reason against the name is gone.

FELIPE NO
NYRSkate

Member 4

Level 18.19

Feb 2006

Old May 21, 2006, 10:54 PM #344 of 1141
Why are you people acting like you want this to be the character's name? Don't you realize how corny the word Lightning can be when used regularly?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ufaB...ghtning%20bolt

Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 12:33 AM Local time: May 21, 2006, 09:33 PM #345 of 1141
So what, throughout FFVII. They were using Cloud (though you can rename him to suit your tastes), and in FFVIII they had Squall. I don't see why you keep on whining and saying that Lightning won't be good. It's just ridiculous. I'm just basing my opinions on what Famitsu thinks, and they also assume that her name is Lightning as well.

And no offense, but that's a really stupid video.

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 03:12 AM #346 of 1141
And no offense, but that's a really stupid video.
I think that's why he showed it >.>

but as far as I don't really like the name too, I think this will be probably lightning or a name that is base on Lightning. And even if it's truly lightning it doesn,t really matter to me, it's just weird for me but I'll get over with quick enough to still enjoy the game >.>

but I do like the fact that it could be her code name^^

or maybe if there's is more than one playing character, they will have each they own element (fire, wind, earth, water etc...)

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 09:02 AM #347 of 1141
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
There's a lot of things new and unique from what I saw in the trailer. I'm not saying you're right, or I'm wrong. I'm just saying we can't rule out her name being Lightning. Even Famitsu is entertaining the theory. Also isn't the spell Thunder? I don't remember a Lightning spell.
Lit-1 Lit-2 Lit-3

NEVAR FORGET

Double Post:
I don't see why you keep on whining and saying that Lightning won't be good. It's just ridiculous. I'm just basing my opinions on what Famitsu thinks, and they also assume that her name is Lightning as well.
The only whining is coming from the people who buy into silly rumors. Not that I need to listen to someone who buys into gaming magazine speculation and has entirely shitty taste in LARPs.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Sarag; May 22, 2006 at 09:07 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 10:22 AM #348 of 1141
Originally Posted by a lurker
Lit-1 Lit-2 Lit-3

NEVAR FORGET

Double Post:

The only whining is coming from the people who buy into silly rumors. Not that I need to listen to someone who buys into gaming magazine speculation and has entirely shitty taste in LARPs.
lol. That's why I asked. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy fan. I've played the games, but as you pointed out I forget.

Anyway, claiming her name is Lightning is no more speculation than claiming it isn't. Actually I'd say there's more for it being her name due to past hero names in the series, and the placement of the name in the menu.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 02:15 PM #349 of 1141
Originally Posted by Rei no Otaku
Anyway, claiming her name is Lightning is no more speculation than claiming it isn't. Actually I'd say there's more for it being her name due to past hero names in the series, and the placement of the name in the menu.
Usually when they introduce the main character's name in the pregame hype, the company specifically mentions it. Why would they show a pretty movie at E3, and while not making a point to release any information about the two main characters, would neglect to leave the one's name in screenshots? It makes no sense.

Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 22, 2006, 07:05 PM Local time: May 22, 2006, 06:05 PM #350 of 1141

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Official Final Fantasy XIII Thread