Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)

I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:12 PM #276 of 397
I can't seem to load page 12. I'm sorry if this is an interrupt, or if my opinion doesn't agree with you folks.

I went to see the film on Friday night, which was PROBABLY a bad idea. I've never EVER seen lines and SOLD OUT signs for one movie like this before. I almost walked out because I couldn't fathom a Batman movie being THAT great.

I wanted to think about the movie for a couple of days before I said anything.

But that movie was NOT that great. The only thing that I found made it watchable was Ledger's role (hate scream yell at me). I don't know much about the mythology of Batman, but I did enjoy Batman Begins. I don't know exactly WHAT persona the Joker is supposed to have except for the things Pang has told me, and of course, my childhood run-in with Jack Nicholson. I tried my very best to erase all of it for Ledger. And he amazed me. I loved, loved, loved the character.

But the movie itself was the same repetitive shit and it dragged on. Again, I'm ignorant when it comes to Batman and the stories that go along with him, but it was pretty... dull except for some very exciting bits.

Was I the only one completely underwhelmed by Eckhart's performance?

I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flack for my opinion on the film, but if I were to watch it again, it would only be for The Joker. The mannerisms had me laughing.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:40 PM Local time: Jul 20, 2008, 10:40 PM #277 of 397
Yeah dont post your opinions about the movie or actor anymore, that is, unless you are a film school grad or know the ins and outs of hollywood.

What a bunch of a-holes.
Or have some basic knowledge about the film industry, yeah. Please don't talk unless you know what you're talking about.

Man, what a bunch of elitist pricks.

Also, no, the majority of the SAG awards are voted on by actors, not the Oscars.

EDIT:

Sass, I'm not sure how you were underwhelmed by Eckhart, he did very well given how much he had to work with. Also, the reason it dragged on was some screenplay issues (Dead, now not dead. Oh but SHE'S totally dead. For reals. Could have cut out a step there.) as well as a few issues with the writing getting very over the top from time to time (immovable object speech was rubbish. As was the whole Joker is an agent of chaos and hates plans-but-uses-plans-all-the-time bullshit, not to mention the whole fifteen minute opening was plagued with troubles.) but overall, I'd say the biggest reason you didn't like it was exactly what you said: You're not a Batman fan. It's like going to Field of Dreams with no concept of the Black Sox. It's just not going to be the same experience.

I was speaking idiomatically.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Jul 20, 2008 at 11:46 PM.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 04:48 AM #278 of 397
FUUUCK YEAR, Batman. I enjoyed it.

I was however, disappointed by the lack of Audi and Burger King in the movie. Am i rite, Deni?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

#654: Braixen
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:11 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:11 AM #279 of 397
FUUUCK YEAR, Batman. I enjoyed it.

I was however, disappointed by the lack of Audi and Burger King in the movie. Am i rite, Deni?
ur so rong.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:30 AM #280 of 397
I'd say the biggest reason you didn't like it was exactly what you said: You're not a Batman fan.
Eh, I'm a huge Batman fan. Hell, I know who Ducard was from the comics before they used the name and not the character in Batman Begins - and I was disappointed in this movie.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:37 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:37 AM #281 of 397
Eh, I'm a huge Batman fan. Hell, I know who Ducard was from the comics before they used the name and not the character in Batman Begins - and I was disappointed in this movie.
I didn't say anyone who liked Batman would love this movie. I said it would be hard for someone who didn't like Batman to care and get involved.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:39 AM #282 of 397
I said it would be hard for someone who didn't like Batman to care and get involved.
Well, tell that to the movie writers who kept shoving expository remarks about HOW CA-RAZY the Joker is.

For people that didn't need to know anything about Batman before walking into the movie, they sure did treat everyone like a fucking idiot.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 05:45 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 04:45 AM #283 of 397
Wait, you mean those guys at the beginning were working for the joker? The guys in the clown faces worked for a crazy guy called the Joker? Man, I really wish there'd been some audio clues to make it more salient for me that the Joker was the boss of that clown gang. Because man, they sure didn't let me know the JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER JOKER etc.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:10 AM #284 of 397
It seems silly to me that you two get hung up on something like that. It's very believable that they would be talking about him using his moniker. That doesn't make me think, "Oh, Nolan is doing this to make sure the crowd knows these guys are working for the Joker." I just think, "OK, these guys were just brought on to do this job by the Joker and they're curious about him and naturally talking to the other guys about him."

Either way, I fail to see how that's an issue big enough to dwell on. If that somehow dampened your enjoyment of the movie, that's unfortunate.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:26 AM #285 of 397
Either way, I fail to see how that's an issue big enough to dwell on.
Because I'm an intellectual in my everyday life, I don't like being talked to like an idiot. You may not mind having things explained to you in strained exposition in a pointless scene - but I do because my brain works.

Its not my fault you're stupid - but its because of people like you that the movie pandered the dialouge to such an extent.

NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:14 PM #286 of 397
I liked the Dark Knight alot, and I actually think it was better than the first movie. This one had so much going on all the time between dark humor and right back to action that I found I was always focused on it and not the packed theater. (people were standing) Not to mention the music was excellent and the strings played up the tension in some spots till it was almost unbearable. S

Not to mention Heath probably is the best joker I've ever seen, it was flawless to the point that I could believe the joker walks the streets today.

Yeah I did notice batmans voice was kind of a goofy hardass thing, but it had been awhile since I saw Batman begins so I realized that was normal.

so, I would definately recommend this to anyone, even if you're not into action films, this movie has something for everyone.

Last edited by NinjaguyDan; Jul 21, 2008 at 01:16 PM.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:37 PM #287 of 397
I'd say the biggest reason you didn't like it was exactly what you said: You're not a Batman fan. It's like going to Field of Dreams with no concept of the Black Sox. It's just not going to be the same experience.
Sure. I mean, I will WATCH the movies, and I will enjoy the movies (usually), but I don't go out of my way to read the comics or the mythology of the characters. I'm sure they're great, but they're not my schtick - I just like some intense action movies.

I went to the movie because I heard all the hype. Yes, I shouldn't have listened, but it's kind of hard when everyone is talking about how FANTASTIC it is, and you want to see what they're talking about.

As a movie, though? Underwhelmed in general. Remove the Batman aspect and what have you got? Just another action movie with some force-fed pseudo-intellectual message.

Most amazing jew boots
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:00 PM #288 of 397
Because I'm an intellectual in my everyday life, I don't like being talked to like an idiot. You may not mind having things explained to you in strained exposition in a pointless scene - but I do because my brain works.

Its not my fault you're stupid - but its because of people like you that the movie pandered the dialouge to such an extent.
:lol:

Please refrain from making assumptions about my intelligence. I totally understand where you're coming from when you say you don't want everything explained to you as if you're stupid. I appreciate movies that don't do that, and when they do, it's definitely annoying. I just didn't get any sense of that from their repeated mentions of The Joker. Again, it seems perfectly reasonable that guys in that situation would talk about The Joker by name (and use his name multiple times). I don't think that's necessarily Nolan doing that for the sake of the presumably slow audience.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Jul 21, 2008 at 02:03 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:07 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:07 PM #289 of 397
it seems perfectly reasonable that guys in that situation would talk about The Joker by name (and use his name multiple times). I don't think that's necessarily Nolan doing that for the sake of the presumably slow audience.
The Joker was apparently making moves well after the incident in Batman Begins, he's a known presence to the Gotham PD, anyone who watched Batman Begins would be able to associate "Joker Playing Card" with "Joker." It's not "perfectly reasonable" to have a whole bunch of guys basically tip off who their boss is when they're wearing clown masks and blowing each other away. The scene would have had much more impact had they not been going off at the mouth about "SO HE HIRED YOU TOO?"

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:31 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 01:31 PM #290 of 397
As was the whole Joker is an agent of chaos and hates plans-but-uses-plans-all-the-time bullshit
I took that as legitimate bullshit by the Joker; the point of the speech was to convince Harvey that he should kill people besides the Joker.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:35 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:35 PM #291 of 397
Which is why he totally let Harvey put a loaded gun up to his head and left it entirely to chance.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:36 PM #292 of 397
I took that as legitimate bullshit by the Joker; the point of the speech was to convince Harvey that he should kill people besides the Joker.
Interesting theory... Joker did like to lie alot. One thing he did, which for some reason Roger Ebert COMPLETELY missed, was that he tells multiple stories in regards to what happened to his face. It wouldn't be out of the realm of impossibility that he was just completely fucking with everybody.

How ya doing, buddy?
Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:44 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 01:44 PM #293 of 397
I'm not sure how what I said excludes potentially killing the Joker.

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:45 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 02:45 PM #294 of 397
But the movie itself was the same repetitive shit and it dragged on. Again, I'm ignorant when it comes to Batman and the stories that go along with him, but it was pretty... dull except for some very exciting bits.
You might have pegged it. It's the whole nemesis setup that drives the film, so if you don't enjoy the back and forth between them, then....well, that doesn't leave a lot. =/

Which is why he totally let Harvey put a loaded gun up to his head and left it entirely to chance.
Well, he doesn't really do it for chance. If Harvey had killed him, the end result would have been the same as if he had corrupted Batman. Joker would have brought down the white knight. Joker was fully ready to die earlier if it would mean Batman breaks his One Rule. So it comes back to the word choice and the fact that it's not really chaos but enough direct subversion that it might as well be chaos.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:47 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:47 PM #295 of 397
Well, he doesn't really do it for chance. If Harvey had killed him, the end result would have been the same as if he had corrupted Batman. Joker would have brought down the white knight. Joker was fully ready to die earlier if it would mean Batman breaks his One Rule. So it comes back to the word choice and the fact that it's not really chaos but enough direct subversion that it might as well be chaos.
See how you just outlined the plan of a psychopath who apparently doesn't like plans but talks about an immovable object and an unstoppable force?

FELIPE NO
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:49 PM #296 of 397
I haven't seen the film, but

it seems like this "Joker" character might be somehow inconsistent in his motivations or behaviors

am I understanding this right

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:50 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:50 PM #297 of 397
Crazy is a great motivation for a villain and should always have concrete explanations made to explain the depths of its waters

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:53 PM #298 of 397
ROTORBLADE YOU CANNOT PUT CONCRETE IN DEEP WATER

IT WILL SINK

YOUR IDEAS VIOLATE ALL LAWS OF PHYSICK

Misogynyst Gynecologist

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:54 PM #299 of 397
Remove the Batman aspect and what have you got? Just another action movie with some force-fed pseudo-intellectual message.
This is probably the briefest and most intelligent description I've seen of the movie yet.

Crazy is a great motivation for a villain and should always have concrete explanations made to explain the depths of its waters
I'm not sure I agree. We never know the story behind Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet - but not only is he completely fucking insane and scary as hell - but his performance isn't some crappy insanity pastiche usually reserved for the worst episodes of Law And Order: Special Victims Unit. You know, like the one where that kid played that Dungeons And Dragons videogame and tried to save his dead stepsister?

Last edited by Misogynyst Gynecologist; Jul 21, 2008 at 02:56 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:55 PM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 12:55 PM #300 of 397
YOUR IDEAS VIOLATE ALL LAWS OF PHYSICK
MAYBE THAT WAS THE PLAN ALL ALONG

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Dark Knight (Batman Begins Sequel)