Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] What are you currently reading?

Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 05:24 PM Local time: Aug 9, 2007, 12:24 AM #1 of 187
What are you currently reading?

Simply enough, this is the thread for ranting about litterature we're currently reading, Manga and comics not included.

I recently got myself the book "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I've just started reading it so I can't tell much about it yet, but the back print really caught my attention.

"Late one night, exploring her father's library, a young woman finds an ancient book and a cache of yellowing letters addressed ominously to 'My dear and unfortunate successor'. Her discovery plunges her into a world she never dreamed of - a labyrinth where the secrets of her father's past and her mother's mysterious fate connect to an evil hidden in the depths of history. In those few quiet moments, she unwittingly assumes a quest she will discover is her birthright - a hunt for the truth about Vlad the Impaler, the medieval ruler whose barbarous reign formed the basis of the Dracula myth."

Jam it back in, in the dark.

guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 8, 2007, 08:00 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 06:00 PM #2 of 187
I'm reading Dragonlance: Dragons of Winter Night. I'm about half way through it. It's not that difficult of a read, I just get real busy with stuff. It's a pretty good fantasy novel that's based around Dungeons and Dragons so if you're into that kind of thing, you'll enjoy this book.

This book is the second one out of a trilogy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 05:05 PM Local time: Aug 10, 2007, 12:05 AM #3 of 187
J.K. Rowling - Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. I've started with book 1, and now I'm at page 130 or so of the fourth book. After this I planned to read part 5, 6 and eventually 7.

Most amazing jew boots
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 9, 2007, 07:03 PM #4 of 187
I just inhaled the latest Harry Potter and now I'm flipping through Prinicipa Discordia, "wherein is explained absolutely everything worth knowing about absolutely anything."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
shadoweave
Chocobo

Member 23806

Level 9.35

Aug 2007

Old Aug 12, 2007, 12:07 PM Local time: Aug 13, 2007, 01:07 AM #5 of 187
I recently got myself the book "The Historian" by Elizabeth Kostova. I've just started reading it so I can't tell much about it yet, but the back print really caught my attention.
I finished that book a couple of months back, and personally I thought the way the story developed wasn't all that great. Right now, I'm reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, which is way better, in my opinion.

How ya doing, buddy?
agreatguy6
Holy Chocobo

Member 682

Level 31.93

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 02:24 PM #6 of 187
I just inhaled the latest Harry Potter and now I'm flipping through Prinicipa Discordia, "wherein is explained absolutely everything worth knowing about absolutely anything."
Lol, if I remember correctly, it says I'm a Pope and that when having a ceremony, members should chant: WATERMELON WATERMELON!

difficult to read when you're nowhere near it and have to read it on the internet: www.anonib.com/bookchan is great!

Anyway:

Currently reading "The Flies" by Jean-Paul Sartre
Journey to the West vol. 1 by Wu Cheng'en
and something else. Forgot what it was tho...

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:09 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 03:09 PM #7 of 187
"The Sprawl Trilogy" (Gibson) =o

Well, soon. It'll occupy me on the boat, methinks. I also have "State of Fear" (Crichton) followed by "Band of Brothers" (Ambrose).

FELIPE NO
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:16 PM #8 of 187
The Dark Tower Series

On the 6th book, its been great so far!

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 03:24 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 09:24 PM #9 of 187
Der Schwarm, a techno-thriller novel by Frank Schätzing.

Across the oceans, more and more strange and dangerous incidents take place: Humpback whales and orcas attack whale watchers near the coast of Canada, swarms of small fish sink South American fishing boats, and a strange poisonous lobster causes an epidemic in parts of France.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Aug 12, 2007, 04:04 PM Local time: Aug 12, 2007, 02:04 PM #10 of 187
I'm in the middle of A Civil Action, by Jonathan Harr, which is about a civil case involving the dumping of chemicals and the poisoning of water wells (a true story). It was on my school's suggested summer reading list, the second book I've read off that list, and I'm super intrigued. I can see why they recommended it, it both makes trial law seem like it would be immensely interesting and horrible to practice all at the same time.

I'll rent the movie when I'm done, which I hear is pretty good.

and Brandy does her best to understand
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Aug 13, 2007, 03:23 PM #11 of 187
Lol, if I remember correctly, it says I'm a Pope and that when having a ceremony, members should chant: WATERMELON WATERMELON!

difficult to read when you're nowhere near it and have to read it on the internet: www.anonib.com/bookchan is great!
It's definitely a bathroom book, which seems appropriate. =D

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
nabhan
Good Chocobo

Member 679

Level 17.09

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2007, 02:04 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2007, 03:04 AM #12 of 187
For debate I have to read The World is Flat by Thomas L. Friedman. It's not really the kind of book I read (nonfiction) but it's sufficient in keeping my interest. It's easy to follow and interesting if not flawed. It's much more entertaining that On Liberty by John Stuart Mill, which was the last thing I read, to say the least.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2007, 06:36 PM #13 of 187
I'm currently reading Repairman Jack novels by F. Paul Wilson. I read the summary for The Tomb and went from there. I suppose I should read the rest of the The Adversary Cycle at some point, though...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:28 PM #14 of 187
Hyperion, by Dan Simmons. Weirdly laid out (the sharing of stories by the pilgrims remind me of Chaucer's Canterbury Tales) for a modern book, but it's well-written and interesting, I'm liking it so far. Those Bikura sure were creepy.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2007, 11:53 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2007, 10:53 PM #15 of 187
His Dark Materials, by Philip Pullman. It blows Narnia and Harry Potter so far out of the water it's not even funny. And I found out they're making a movie out of the first book, The Golden Compass (also known as Northern Lights), this winter.

Also finishing up American Gods by Gaiman. Good stuff, but it lacks the quirky charm of Neverwhere, which I still prefer (and which has a pretty cool BBC miniseries preceding it. Yes, preceding--the book is a novelization of the series, but both were written by Gaiman).

FELIPE NO

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
randumb
Carob Nut

Member 24293

Level 3.73

Sep 2007

Old Sep 3, 2007, 06:01 PM #16 of 187
I'm currently reading Lolita because I should have read it a long time ago.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
LaMenina
Der Kommissar

Member 23054

Level 7.53

Jul 2007

Old Sep 12, 2007, 06:13 PM #17 of 187
The Once and Future King, by T.H. White
Madame Bovary, by Flaubert

Who is John Galt?
matira_bay
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4150

Level 3.09

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:12 AM #18 of 187
Currently reading Dracula by Bram Stoker. Don't know why but I'm just in the mood to read this again.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 10:14 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 09:14 AM #19 of 187
I just picked up Nikola Tesla's My Inventions, which is actually a series of magazine articles he wrote in 1916. Should prove to be very interesting.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Syndrome
Esper

Member 211

Level 19.79

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2008, 05:58 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2008, 12:58 AM #20 of 187
It does sound awfully interesting knkwzrd.

I recently picked up Dune by Frank Herbert. It's supposed to be a legendary Science Fiction and I've never read it so I decided to give it a go after not having the will to finish the Foundation Trilogy.

Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2008, 06:29 PM #21 of 187
I'm currently reading Monster Island by David Wellington.

However, I'm reading the print version. I know I could've saved $10 or so by reading it online, but I read books to get away from looking at screens all day. *shrug*

I was speaking idiomatically.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2008, 08:06 PM Local time: Mar 7, 2008, 06:06 PM #22 of 187
I finished the Dragonlance trilogy awhile ago.

I'm in the middle of Shantarum which is a book about an escaped Australian thief who was convicted for armed robbery and sentenced to ten years in prison. He fled to India where he started integrating himself in the seedy underbelly of the world there by getting involved with mob. Eventually he gets recaptured sometime down the line and returns to India to start up free health clinics. It's a really well written book and I recommend everyone to read it.

I'm also reading Corrupted Science which talks about the instances that science is attacked by various governments and religious fundamentalists and how fraudulent scientists plagiarize each other or fudge numbers to receive grants or recognition or something else. Very interesting read.

How ya doing, buddy?
Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old Mar 9, 2008, 10:52 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2008, 11:52 AM #23 of 187
I'm currently working my way through Mikhail Sholokhov's "And Quiet Flows the Don," which I got from a secondhand bookstore quite a while ago. It's got that great old-book smell to it, which is just <3

It's an enjoyable book, about the Don Cossacks from the period right before World War I up to, I think, the Bolshevik revolution of 1917. I hear it's kind of like Tolstoy's "War and Peace," except not on such a grand scale.

I took a slight risk on buying it, but I don't regret it. Nice book.

How ya doing, buddy?
Peter
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 50

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:59 AM Local time: Mar 12, 2008, 06:59 PM #24 of 187
I'm currently reading Twenty Years Later, the sequel to The Three Musketeers, and it is just as excellent, perhaps even more because it seems to move a lot faster than it's predecessor. It's fun to read about stuff that I used to learn about in history classes a long time ago, but that's slowly coming back to me, and combined with Dumas' amazing writing, this book is rapidly becoming one of my favourites (still about 200 out of 900 pages left though, so I'll have to wait with my final judgement, give me a couple more days).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 18, 2008, 09:01 AM Local time: Mar 18, 2008, 03:01 PM #25 of 187
I'm currently reading Fulgrim - Visions of Treachery published by the Black Library and part of the Horus Heresy series. Basically, if you're a fan of Warhammer 40,000 you'll love it. If not, you might still enjoy it but might need to read around the subject a little first to really understand it. Once I finish it I'm going to read the prose Edda while I save up for the rest of the Horus Heresy books.

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [News] What are you currently reading?