Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[:plant:] Shin's tabletop wargame thread

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2013, 10:47 AM Local time: Mar 3, 2013, 04:47 PM 3 #1 of 4
Shin's tabletop wargame thread

'Sup Nigs?

So we have this whole forum for nerding out and only one real thread in it so I thought we needed a tabletop wargame thread.

I first started playing Warhammer 40,000 when I was 10, which must be 4000 years ago now. Since then Games Workshop have increased their prices about sixfold but after a fairly long hiatus, I now find myself in a position to just about afford their stuff so along with a couple of mates, we're getting back into it.

All my old stuff is boxed up at my parent's house still but I've started a new Imperial Guard army. To be honest, the chances of playing many games with it are pretty slim so it's primarily a painting exercise.

Anyway, so far I've picked up a Cadian Army box, a Leman Russ Demolisher and bought a Chimera off eBay. I've painted up a ten man squad, a five man command squad, a Sentinel and the Russ.

The Guardsmen have blue uniforms with pale blue armour. Instead of standard heads I swapped in some from Pig Iron Productions.

It's Guilliman Blue with a Mechanicum Standard Grey drybrush then a Blue ink wash for the uniform. Armour is Celestial Grey with a white drybrush, blue ink wash then another white drybrush.

I remembered after I started this that I possess exactly zero skill in freehand painting banners so the Platoon standard has now been chopped off and replaced with a pennant on the end of a lance from some Warhammer knight.

The Sentinel is a scout because they look better. Same colour scheme although I went for metal legs rather than coloured.

For the Russ, I magnetised the main cannon allowing me to swap on each of the variants you get in the box. I couldn't be arsed to magnetise the sponsons or hull weapon, although it wouldn't be particularly hard. I'll probably fully magnetise the next one I get.

The Chimera I got from eBay was covered in a shocking paint job:

I managed to get most of it off with Acetone free nail varnish remover and now it's ready-ish to paint, after I glued it together properly.

That's a work in progress, as are three heavy weapons teams.

Once that's done there's another squad to paint and I need to stick together a Lord Commisar. Rather than swap his head, I'm planning on making a face mask out of green stuff for him. He'll be in a dark grey coat with a blue uniform underneath I think, I'm not entirely sure yet though. After that I need another Cadian box and an extra Sentinel to make up another full ten man squad, a Company command squad and I'm going to convert three guys into snipers to form a special weapons squad then I'll have hit 1,000 points.

So surely I'm not the only person here who likes to throw money away like this? Anyone else into toy soldiers?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2013, 12:43 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2013, 05:43 PM 2 #2 of 4
The only picture I can dig up right now since all my models are in my parent's attic (and most are only base-coated anyway):

My first boyfriend introduced me to Warhammer when I was 13, mainly because he wanted someone to pit his Chaos army against. Price was the main thing that stopped me from continuing with it. Even if I never play another game I have been meaning to at least finish the paint jobs for a long while now (and I'm not happy with the above one either).

Most amazing jew boots
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2013, 03:58 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2013, 09:58 PM #3 of 4
What actually is that? I used to play a bit of Warhammer but gave that up by the second edition so most of the newer stuff is lost on me. Looks like a Cold One with a Skaven on the back?

How ya doing, buddy?
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Mar 3, 2013, 04:40 PM Local time: Mar 3, 2013, 09:40 PM #4 of 4
It's from the Lizardmen army - Kroq-gar (ancient saurus leader) riding a carnosaur.

Overall although I prefer the aesthetics of 40K (not having played it I can't comment on gameplay), reptilian Aztec warriors? Too badass.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Pang's Violence Basement > [:plant:] Shin's tabletop wargame thread