Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

DEAR ASSHOLES WHO WHINE A LOT

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 05:35 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 04:35 PM 11 #1 of 82
DEAR ASSHOLES WHO WHINE A LOT

"Man turn on display names" vs. "we really like trollin trollin"

COMPROMISE

Most of the time name changes are obvious. Fat jokes? Gotta be Mo0. Not rocket science really.

BUT. BUT. Sometimes poorly done name changes occur. These happen mostly when Shin wants them done. (all of mine are awesome)

When this happens, people inevitably whine about display names. Display names are no fun for anyone. ANYONE. I don't care who you are but you are a vacuum for all things nice and a source of extreme Nazism.

SO, HERE IS A MIDDLE GROUND.

I have created a new profile field. You can not edit it. HOWEVER, it will appear in someone's profile if admins put shit in it.

It is TRUE NAME

HERE IS DEVO

HERE IS A PICTURE OF DEVO

You can even SEARCH FOR IT using member advanced search

See?

We will put shit in there when it's not PAINFULLY OBVIOUS who this person is.

THERE. COMPROMISE REACHED. NOW SHUT THE HELL UP

Jam it back in, in the dark.
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 05:54 PM #2 of 82
lol a feature that requires constant staff attention to work properly

points for optimism I guess

How ya doing, buddy?
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 05:58 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 04:58 PM #3 of 82
Or just leave it in as a constant. Whatever the person's true user name is will stay there regardless of what their name appears as.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:00 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 05:00 PM #4 of 82
Imma keep up on it charlie.

I don't have codin' access, this is the best I can do.

it's not hard to fill out one profile field when changin names. Luckily one of the few people who can do it is the oldbag.jpg and another is so sick of the whining that he's willin to do, so it should work out

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:24 PM 2 2 #5 of 82
Most of the time name changes are obvious. Fat jokes? Gotta be Mo0. Not rocket science really.
The obviousness of a name change is completely subjective and it all depends on how "in" somebody is on the joke. I had no clue who any of the HIV avengers were or whatever the shit that was all about, and I'm sure I'm not alone there. The only time they're obvious is if the person's name is still somewhat a part of it. Like when Shin was Lady ShinShin, or when you were Colonel FuckFaggot.

I dunno, I guess my whole point is, what's the point of conversing with one another if we have to do extra legwork to figure out who is who? The idea of having usernames is that you can easily identify with someone when discussing shit on a discussion board. Sure the boards aren't as active, but people still spend an awful lot of time in Chocojournal and it gets unnerving when people are trying to insult my taste in movies and I can't tell who is who. It would be as if we all went to the meet and decided to wear masks the whole time, except this is worse since there's no easily-identifyable features that make us stand out, whereas at the meet, I simply need to look directly into the sun to find the spot where Sass blocks it out, or look down at Dope's legs to find his thigh-high socks.

I like the thought behind this, and I appreciate the compromise, but I think we can do better. The best case scenario would be the ability to see the "true names" on the thread without having to click into a dozen different profiles. Would it be possible to put the true name in the drop down menu when you click on the username? That's *kinda* like display names, right?

I don't know shit about coding, so what I'm suggesting might not be as easy as adding a field to a profile, but it's the best I have for now. Since the TRUE NAME field is searchable, couldn't that theoretically be easily worked into the drop down menu?

Again, I don't know fuckall about coding or what kind of access you have and what kind of access this requires, but tell me if I'm wrong here. Look at the image below:

Every instance of the word "Colonel Skills" is basically just code that says <username> or <user number> right?

That said... Since you were able to easily add another field to people's profiles, couldn't you just as easily add another field to that drop down menu that just says <TRUE NAME> or something?

Tryin' to be constructive, here. I'm all for compromise but this compromise still requires people to go into profiles to see who is who, which shouldn't be a requirement to participate in a discussion.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:45 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 05:45 PM 1 #6 of 82
Quote:
except this is worse since there's no easily-identifyable features that make us stand out, whereas at the meet, I simply need to look directly into the sun to find the spot where Sass blocks it out, or look down at Dope's legs to find his thigh-high socks.
Extra legwork = 1 extra click is also awesome. Is the profile not an easily identifiable feature? It's RIGHT THERE. I would say forcing yourself to look down at dope's socks and interpolating is the same as glancing at a profile page.

This sounds like "I appreciate the compromise, but this isn't the solution I wanted so fuck you".

Running with this metaphor!

So here's something. Someone wants to dress up in an e-costume. Maybe they are wearing a good rubber mask, but this profile funfun time is the same as taking two seconds out to think "HMM THIS PERSON IS SHAPED LIKE A CAPO. WALKS LIKE A CAPO. TALKS LIKE A CAPO. JEWS LIKE A CAPO. MAYBE IT'S A CAPO"

There is no inconvenience in clicking someone's avatar. All you folks want is the answer force fed to you. Nah nigga, that ain't how it works. This is an easy cheat sheet, though. If you care about what joe asshole says, pop BAM you got the answer. One doesn't require someone jumpin about saying "LOOK, BATMAN OVER THERE IS ACTUALLY BRUCE WAYNE".

How's this. I will put it into everybody's field on name change. Not just the "obvious" ones. (Obvious would have been Mo0, and pretty much any permutations on an obvious name like the ones you listed, by the way. Not the seven dwarves, or that god forsaken HIV awareness group. Any Eras or theme weeks would also be tagged, since the problem with checking master threads is also clearly that it is so inconvenient! )

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Apr 6, 2010 at 06:48 PM.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 06:46 PM 2 #7 of 82
it gets unnerving when people are trying to insult my taste in movies and I can't tell who is who.
Why would you need to differentiate here? I thought that was something everyone did. Not like it would make a difference.

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:14 PM #8 of 82
Sprout's bad analogy notwithstanding, I agree it's much better to have the name in the drop down menu (as the display names feature was originally implemented). I appreciate your taking a step in the right direction, Skills, but it's not much better than what I do now: clicking on a person's journal. From the journal, I can tell either a) exactly who that person is, or b) that person is British, and thus I don't care who they are.

Having it in the drop down menu means not having to click to another page, scroll down to the right part of the profile, then hit back to go back to the thread (which means extra loading if you're surfing from a phone or slow internet spot).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:19 PM #9 of 82
Is the profile not an easily identifiable feature? It's RIGHT THERE.
It's right there... All the way at the bottom of a separate page. With Dope's socks, I simply need to turn my head. With this solution, I need to click the profile link, wait for it to load, scroll down, and find the true name. Then I need to repeat that process for every person whose name I don't recognize, which is typically a dozen or so at a time. And then if I forget who DA SYPHILIS BUSTER is, I need to do it again. And then I need to do it again if DA SYPHILIS BUSTER becomes HorseCock McGillicuddy.

Yeah, fine, it's not THAT much work compared to writing a novel or building a house. But compared to simply glancing over and seeing the username, the way it typically is, it's like 600% more work. They're unnecessary steps just to see who's who when the idea of usernames is to prevent this sort of thing. Why not just revert back to the ICQ days when we all had numbers instead of usernames?

Your solution has indeed made our typical method of figuring everybody out much easier, but I'd argue that it hasn't "fixed" anything. The problem is that the same handful of members are changing their names on a near-constant basis for no real good reason, and it's clearly becoming a nuisance to the majority of other users who actually want to participate, whether it's posting or just lurking.

Quote:
This sounds like "I appreciate the compromise, but this isn't the solution I wanted so fuck you".
It's not what I meant, I assure you. I'm happy you're actually doing something instead of being a peen about it, but I just feel like more can be done to satisfy everyone. If not, so be it, but I felt it had to be said. Seriously, I'm glad you're making an effort. All I'm saying is, why stop here when we could probably do more?

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:20 PM #10 of 82
Because he lacks any power to actually do more. I agree that this is a kludgy implementation but aside from a 24/7 harassment campaign directed at CHz this is what we're getting.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 07:51 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 06:51 PM 6 #11 of 82
2FORT 2FORUMS

POOFT

Look, the spy isn't going to tell you who he is. It's up to you to figure it out with SMART POWERS

Clamjouster
Get it together!

Member 53

Level 17.41

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:21 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 09:21 PM 3 #12 of 82
do you really need to know who it is so bad, I guess people that have trouble with name changes have to sit down and construct a psychologic profile before posting, who can I troll and get away with it? Who will actually talk back and make sense? or just simply "oh god it's devo she is going to chase me down until I see her bitching in my own turds".

this isn't some prison, you don't need to be aware at all times who is going to knock your soap in the showers next time. If you people want to add something to a discusion just focus in the content anyhow, if all you want to contribute is your current username post it in a giant font with rainbow colors.

I leave a token for inspiration.

knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 08:33 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 07:33 PM 3 #13 of 82
This entire argument strikes me as a little ridiculous. Both sides seem to think there is a group of people hell bent on changing their user names as much as possible. This group of people do not exist. There is just Skills having fun changing the names of whoever he wants, or whoever Shin wants. Nobody else is really pro name-changing, they're just anti pissy-whining. State simply why you're against name changes without mopey passive aggressive phrasing and suddenly there is no argument.

I mean, that's what it could have been. Too much groaning has gone on already to salvage this pissfest.

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:07 PM 2 #14 of 82
Or we could just change everyone's name to Clamjouster.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:09 PM #15 of 82
Personally, I like the idea that we all just pick a fucking name and stick with it.

No checking profiles for subtextual clues. No compromises. Just doing what makes the most sense and not having to worry about the random whims of three people with the power to affect stupid changes, or the capricious needs of seven members of #gfchat to alter their identities based upon the latest inside joke.

If you can't settle on a name and make a fucking commitment to that identity, just tell me to stick a bunch of asterisks or question marks in your name space so that at least everyone will know you're the fool who can never make up his or her mind.

And while we're having moments of honesty, I'm really not so crazy about references like "oldbag.jpg"

FELIPE NO
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:19 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2010, 02:19 AM #16 of 82
kickass, now someone please change my name to Mouthful of Pirates

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:23 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 06:23 PM 6 #17 of 82
Because he lacks any power to actually do more. I agree that this is a kludgy implementation but aside from a 24/7 harassment campaign directed at CHz this is what we're getting.
What I'm reading here is that I have to give Skills more power.

This can be arranged.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 09:41 PM Local time: Apr 7, 2010, 10:41 AM #18 of 82
No! Don't do it! You'll destroy us all! Destroy us all.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
coeccias
Her default movement speed is running isn't it?

Member 197

Level 15.62

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:14 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 08:14 PM 8 #19 of 82
Whenever I submit a post or comment, as sporadic as that may be, it is most often that I share something I found to be humorous to the extent that I caused myself to laugh or smile (incredulous as that may seem). I do so with the belief that a person, or perhaps multiple people, will read what I have submitted and also find some humor in what I have shared. I may not be humorous enough to make someone laugh or smile with each attempt, but I think it's occasionally worth the effort to spread good cheer around when the chances of doing so are in your favor. If someone were to change my username because it was humorous in some way and people were dismissive of what I said based on an unfamiliarity with my username, I would think that the loss would be theirs.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 10:24 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 07:24 PM #20 of 82
I am, shall we say, less than satisfied with your unpaid service to this free Internet video game forum I frequent.

Here is an itemized list of my complaints, all of which I expect to be remedied by morning:

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:00 PM #21 of 82
I'm not anti-fun.

I'm anti-confusion.

Get it straight.

YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 6, 2010, 11:00 PM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 08:00 PM 5 #22 of 82
Early-onset dementia is no excuse.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:12 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 11:12 PM #23 of 82
Why is anyone still remotely surprised Crash is a boring old man shaking his fist at kids playing on his lawn?

P.S.

Most name changes come out of the thread-that-doesn't-end. Not GFchat.

FELIPE NO

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2010, 12:45 AM Local time: Apr 6, 2010, 10:45 PM #24 of 82
Unfortunately, I'm with the pissy whiny front. Ace Combat month, inside jokes. My fading mentality has a hard enough time crawling back to these forums when it finds the potency to do so. That extra guessing game just takes it outta me.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Apr 7, 2010, 04:34 AM 4 #25 of 82
What I'm reading here is that I have to give Skills more power.

This can be arranged.
Oh god CHz no don't do it

#654: Braixen

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > DEAR ASSHOLES WHO WHINE A LOT