Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Executive Decisions

Watts
"Thieves, Robbers, Politicians!"

Member 639

Level 21.12

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:52 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 09:52 AM #26 of 35
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I did. You seem to think that kids in a family have a say about finances.

Which is laughable. Unless, like I SAID, they contribute.
It's pointless to continue debating this with you.

I made my point, you made yours. Anybody who reads it can decide who's opinion to believe... or not.

How ya doing, buddy?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 03:22 PM #27 of 35
My belief is that since their decisions directly affect my life and the lives of my siblings that we should get a say. Maybe we don't want some things to change. Maybe we like the dish sizes we have. Maybe we like a gas stove instead of an electric one. They confide in us for other things, like where to go on vacation or what kind of computer to buy. So why should these things be different? Why don't we get a say?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:22 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 04:22 PM #28 of 35
If you're mad about them replacing a gas stove with an electric one, then you're being fairly shortsighted about that, in that significantly rising gas prices makes owning a gas oven far less cost efficient than owning an electric oven. But you wouldn't know anything about that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 05:25 PM #29 of 35
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Maybe we like the dish sizes we have. Maybe we like a gas stove instead of an electric one. They confide in us for other things, like where to go on vacation or what kind of computer to buy. So why should these things be different? Why don't we get a say?
Because its their money, essentially.

I don't see why you'd give a fuck about the dishes, so long as they're there.

And Russ is absolutely right about the stove. Why do you doubt your parents so much? Are you that emotionally attached to these things? Do you really think they're doing shit for no good reason?

Relax. Worry about your life and not about your parents' choices in dishware.

Most amazing jew boots
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 06:02 PM #30 of 35
My belief is that since their decisions directly affect my life and the lives of my siblings that we should get a say. Maybe we don't want some things to change. Maybe we like the dish sizes we have. Maybe we like a gas stove instead of an electric one. They confide in us for other things, like where to go on vacation or what kind of computer to buy. So why should these things be different? Why don't we get a say?
The stove you use doesn't matter. The dishes don't matter, etc.

You should pick your 'battles', and talk about things that matter ahead of time. If one or the other of your parents want to do something, they'll just go ahead and do it. If you've voiced a concern on the matter ahead of time, they can take that into consideration. If they go against your wishes, then it's for the best (at least in their mind).

Please note that when they ask you about things like where to vacation, you are not deciding where to go. You are giving your input before they decide where to go.

Also, what may appear to be a spur of the moment decision to you, may have been looked into for a long time. And a lack of communication between your mother and father may be less serious than you interpret it to be. A very large number of fathers couldn't give two shits what the stove is. So if they don't care, but if the mother cares, then it only makes sense to let her make the decisions on her own. The odd thing is her sons/daughters taking such an interest in a relatively trivial matter.

You don't know which stove to buy. You don't know the best vacation spots. You don't know which ISP to use. Etc. We've all been at that age, when you are starting to grasp such decisions, but been left out of them. That's one major reason people move out on their own, they want to live their life the way they see fit. You are free to do so when you are the one financing it, and the one which has to deal with the consequences of your decisions.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:05 PM #31 of 35
Originally Posted by russ
If you're mad about them replacing a gas stove with an electric one, then you're being fairly shortsighted about that, in that significantly rising gas prices makes owning a gas oven far less cost efficient than owning an electric oven. But you wouldn't know anything about that.
I don't like people claiming that I'm shortsighted and ignorant. I'm not. Sure, gas prices are rising, making an electric stove better financially, but gas cooks better. More still, here basic reason for replacing the dishes (which were perfectly fine, with some still not having been adequately replaced) and the fridge and the stove, from what I understand, was because they all needed to match the tile better. Nevermind that the fridge and stove were white and the tiled floor was black and white. No, they need to be black. Whatever.

Most amazing jew boots
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 09:47 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 08:47 PM #32 of 35
I don't like people claiming that I'm shortsighted and ignorant. I'm not.
Then stop acting like it. The fact is that it is your parents' home, and I am gathering that you don't pay any bills or pay rent to them or anything, since you haven't mentioned that yet. Well unless their actions are just seriously causing a negative effect on your life, you're pretty much just going to have to deal with it until you move out. I'm sure you'll be heading to college at some point in the near future, right? Well should your parents say "Hey Timmy we're remodeling the house and despite the fact that you're really only going to be living here full-time for another 6 months of the rest of your life, we are going to go ahead and ask your permission before we make any decisions regarding the remodeling. We don't want the next six months of your life to be in any way an inconvenience, so we're going to make sure that the remodeling, which will probably last 10 years or so before we need to remodel again, suits your wants, tastes, and needs over the next six months." Who knows, maybe with the money saved by switching to an electric stove, your parents will help cover a portion of your living expenses during college.

Double Post:
And also, money spent on the house, which I am assuming they own, since who remodels something they are renting, should be considered an investment, as it increases the value of the house. So don't try to say that any money saved on this or that was spent buying it or remodeling or whatever.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.

Last edited by russ; Mar 15, 2006 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Automerged double post.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2006, 11:06 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2006, 09:06 PM #33 of 35
Man, you should be so lucky that the changing tile color is ALL that's bothering you at home. So many people come from broken homes, or no homes that they wished they had parents or had a home to have coordinated dishware in. Keep things in perspective and count your blessings, because it sounds like your parents have enough disposible income to remodel their kitchen and throw away perfectly good plates. If your dad, the breadwinner, isn't bothered by it, then why should you. You're eating the same, living the same, you're not directly effected except by a surprise look in the cupboard every couple of months. Just chill out and enjoy the time you still have when you don't have to pay a $100 gas bill with $80 in your checking account. Or talk to your mom about it, maybe something is bothering her that she had a need to change shit every so often. Perhaps she's unsatisfied and this is a cry for help. Who knows.

Hey I got pissed when I lived at home because my mom did crap for no reason. My mom liked saving plastic cups and covering everything in plastic wrap. It bugged me to be showered by empy Starbucks cups whenever I opened our dish cabinet but it was her house and my dad fought that war with her, not me. When I moved to my own apartment, I make it a goal never to save a plastic cup, which I can because I live by myself.

Most amazing jew boots
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:05 PM #34 of 35
Originally Posted by russ
Well should your parents say "Hey Timmy we're remodeling the house and despite the fact that you're really only going to be living here full-time for another 6 months of the rest of your life, we are going to go ahead and ask your permission before we make any decisions regarding the remodeling. We don't want the next six months of your life to be in any way an inconvenience, so we're going to make sure that the remodeling, which will probably last 10 years or so before we need to remodel again, suits your wants, tastes, and needs over the next six months." Who knows, maybe with the money saved by switching to an electric stove, your parents will help cover a portion of your living expenses during college.
Maybe I should mention that, in all likelihood, they probably won't be there in six months. My mom keeps talking about how they're oging to move soon after I move out so that they can be closer to me dad's work. Really, buying dishes and a fridge (although, like I said, that isn't so much with the fridge) to match the tile seems really stupid when the tile won't be there in a new house... unless there just happens to be a kitchen with black and white tile in whatever house they decide to move into.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Mar 17, 2006, 03:09 PM #35 of 35
You are missing the point. IT IS THEIR HOUSE, NOT YOURS. You're living in their house while they raise you, at which time you will get your OWN house. You didn't buy it and you don't pay to maintain it. It. Isn't. Yours.

Now stop whining and go to your room.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Executive Decisions