Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

USB Problems

mortis
3/3/06

Member 634

Level 32.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 03:02 AM #1 of 4
USB Problems

Whelp, my friend has problems again.

Her computer specs:

3 Year Old Dell
Windows XP SP 1 or 2 (not sure which)
256 Ram at least
some sort of removable zip drive and DVD/CD burner combo drive.

Here is the back story.

My friend had not backed up her computer for three years. Despite my repeated warnings of BACKING UP YOUR DATA TO AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE, she didn't listen until it was [almost] too late. Basically WIndows crashed hard.

As it were though, I found a site online that let me load Windows up just enough to let her get an external hard drive (I believe it is a Western Digital, 40 G, but uses an external enclosure) and a memory stick. Why the memory stick? Well, Windows always complained about power problems/power surges during this time with the external hard drive. So we backed up her data the long way...put it on a mem stick, copy it over to another copy that had the external hard drive connected to it, delete the data on mem stick and repeat process until completition.

She then formatted and reinstalled Windows XP clean. She stated she had no problem with her mem stick or external hard drive being recognized...until recently.

Now, (according to her), for some reason, the error has returned (her hard drive is exceeding it's power limits). She mentioned that it also asked for new drivers...both for her external hard drive AND her memory stick.

Any ideas on this? I can understand there being a problem before and after windows was deleted and reinstalled. However, it doesn't make sense that it worked for a while, and then suddenly, boom, there's the error again.

Note I have suggested the following:
restart windows
make sure nothing else is plugged into any other USB ports and her computer is plugged in
making sure there aren't too many programs running at the same time

She has stated that supposedly, now it sees the hard drive, but acts as if it's new hardware. It also mentions a power surge on the hub port (her words, not mine).

This type of external hard drive is one with a cable that one is for data, the other power. However, it has (seemingly) only needed one. I thought about having her put both in, but when I hear the words, 'power surge', I get a little concerned in case something is going awy with the USB ports (namely, the hard drive getting too much power and being fried).

Any ideas on this?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 09:40 AM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 10:40 PM #2 of 4
Unless the external drive is a 2.5" laptop drive, I don't think the enclosure draws power from the USB port.

Anything on the event logs?

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Sol
resident

Member 1293

Level 12.09

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 12:50 PM #3 of 4
Sounds like the USB port is going or has gone bad. Have her test some other devices on it, like a keyboard, mouse, or printer. If the same sort of errors appear, I'm in line to think that the problem is something physical and not software related. It may be necessary to buy a new PCI USB hub to replace the ones that do not work.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
^-^
A pretty face doesn't mean a pretty heart.

Member 769

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old May 23, 2007, 12:16 PM Local time: May 23, 2007, 12:16 PM #4 of 4
Quote:
This type of external hard drive is one with a cable that one is for data, the other power. However, it has (seemingly) only needed one. I thought about having her put both in, but when I hear the words, 'power surge', I get a little concerned in case something is going awy with the USB ports (namely, the hard drive getting too much power and being fried).

Any ideas on this?

The power supply for the external isn't doing it's "job" per-say; Have you tried to look into separate power supplies for the external enclosure?

You should ALWAYS use the power supply that comes with the enclosure. NEVER try to run an external harddrive WITHOUT it's own power supply, as most usb devices don't even have enough power to run a HDD as it is.

Thinking about it saying that it's grabbing a "power surge" from the USB itself WITHOUT the enclosure's power supply sounds like there's too much power going somewhere (or not enough, consiquently.) Has the Power Supply Unit been checked out recently?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WALK WITH THE DREAMERS,
THE BELIEVERS, THE COURAGEOUS,
THE CHEERFUL, THE PLANNERS, THE
DOERS, THE SUCCESSFUL PEOPLE WITH
THEIR HEADS IN THE CLOUDS AND THEIR
FEET ON THE GROUND. LET THEIR SPIRIT
IGNITE A FIRE WITHIN YOU TO LEAVE THIS
WORLD BETTER THAN WHEN YOU FOUND IT.

Last edited by ^-^; May 23, 2007 at 12:28 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > USB Problems