Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Image Resizing using VB Code

Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 07:03 AM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 10:03 PM #1 of 14
Image Resizing using VB Code

I understand that with the latest version of GFF vBulletin update there's an auto-image resizing for images greater than 800x600 pixels (or something like that).

Could there be added a piece of vb code that allows the user to specify the exact width and height dimensions to resize an image, or better yet, a scaling figure - for example '0.5' would mean resize the image to 50% of normal size.

An example of how the vb code might look like:
Code:
<IMAGE> ---(user specified resizing factor)

---OR

[img,w=500,h=500]<IMAGE>[/img] ---(user specified Width and Height in pixels)

If this is too difficult, then it might be easier to create a thumbnail vb code (which some boards have). There's also a smaller version thumb, "[sthumb]".

An example of the thumbnail vb code:
Code:
[thumb]<IMAGE>[/thumb] ---AND

[sthumb]<IMAGE>[/sthumb]

Most amazing jew boots

BACH 2012 | Music Show | Into The Music | Proust's Cookie | Blogs
Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music

Last edited by Mersenne; Feb 7, 2007 at 12:12 PM.
Jamma
Nuts! Gotta get to Narshe on the fly...

Member 3119

Level 10.58

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 11:40 AM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 04:40 PM #2 of 14
I second the thumb vbcode, a damn good idea indeed.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Merchant: "You’re that thief, Locke, aren’t you?"
Locke: "Hey! Call me a Treasure Hunter, or I’ll rip your lungs out!"

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Feb 7, 2007, 01:50 PM Local time: Feb 7, 2007, 01:50 PM #3 of 14
I still think the ImageShack thumbnailing works fine. Most images are going to be hotlinked and should be hosted on one's own space, so I say "nay."

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 05:49 AM Local time: Feb 8, 2007, 12:49 PM #4 of 14
Though the thought of vb-enhanced Biggestmiu makes me rather nervous, I like the idea. Some sort of image resizing code would be cool.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 02:08 PM #5 of 14
The easy way to avoid a VB-enhanced biggestmiu is to not allow the resolution to be put over, say, 800x600.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:09 PM #6 of 14
Actually, it would make Biggestmiu even more hilarious because while it looks small, it's still loading a giant fucking image that still has the capability of taking up all of your RAM.

And making a small image really big through the size elements won't do anything besides take up visible space.

Which is why I really don't care about this, it's essentially thumbnailing without all the bandwidth saving benefits.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:59 PM Local time: Feb 9, 2007, 06:59 AM #7 of 14
The point of my asking is purely for aethestic reasons.

Instead forcing down everyone's throat super-screen-expanding ugliness and having to scroll to the end of the universe to read a para, users have the choice to format large images (particularly photos) appropriately.

Bandwidth is mainly an issue for threads which are intentionally bandwidth heavy (e.g. Target Locked. "This shit is bananas" and Official huge gun thread). For most threads, the occassional large-medium-sized picture won't even dent a 56K connection. It's your choice if you wish to enter a crash-inducing oversize image thread. But a little image formatting control wouldn't hurt... and would also help keep things tidy.

FELIPE NO

Boston Review - The Sound of Philosophy | The Rest Is Noise - I Hate Classical Music
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Feb 19, 2008, 06:15 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2008, 04:15 PM #9 of 14
I wouldn't mind seeing it implemented. Is there some way we could make it so there'd be a button above the image to make it pop into its full size?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:56 PM Local time: Feb 22, 2008, 01:56 PM #10 of 14
Why not just make the thumbnails yourself?

Merely setting the width and height parameters of an image just set the display size -- you still have to download the large image. Furthermore, what if someone WANTED you to see the large image, for a legitimate reason?

Is thumbnail generation really that arduous of a task? Jeez.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Old Feb 22, 2008, 04:59 PM #11 of 14
This is the Internet and it is full of lazy stupid people. I'd love to be an image nazi but apparently that's harsh or something.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Mersenne
The Red Priest

Member 2697

Level 38.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 22, 2008, 09:03 PM Local time: Feb 23, 2008, 12:03 PM #12 of 14
My point is not how arduous it is to make thumbnails, although if you've got a lot of pictures it does take a while to download them, resize them and upload to an image host.

Thumbnails makes browsing lots of photos easy, because there are many times you don't want to create a separate thumbnail image in addition to your original image. When the photos ARE meant to be large it causes the forum frames to expand which induces scrolling madness. In a way, it acts as an improved method of displaying photos over [spoiler]. Keeps thing tidy and makes browsing photo galleries a cinch, plus it keeps lots of lazy stupid people off the street. Bonus.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Mersenne; Feb 22, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: clarified points
Old Feb 22, 2008, 10:12 PM #13 of 14
[ thumb]someimage.jpg[ /thumb]

Yeah, I could see that being okay. And if it were to expand the image to its full size once you click it.

Also maybe a thumb=200 for 200 pixel width or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Support > Board Support > Image Resizing using VB Code