Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 64 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:40 AM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 09:40 AM #51 of 73
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
You all suck

Anyway, after Battle 08 is finish, does that mean we'll have a Super BATTLE 64 to determine the best battle winner?
Of course, it's only appropriate. We'll call it "SotW: Decisive Battle." ("Decisive" does come before "Fierce," right?)

BTW, before the Chocobo precedent is decided...eligible, or no? It's from FF VI - Special Tracks, which I just found out about today due to the Mayn Event contest.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 3, 2006 at 10:44 AM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:05 AM #52 of 73
Originally Posted by Dhsu
It's from FF VI
:dotdotdot:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 11:24 AM #53 of 73
BTW, before the Chocobo precedent is decided...eligible, or no? It's from FF VI - Special Tracks, which I just found out about today due to the Mayn Event contest.
No, no, a thousand times no. Remix though it be, it's still the Chocobo theme, and the Chocobo precedent has been toppled in a violent coup [/mytwocents]

Most amazing jew boots
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:43 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 11:43 AM #54 of 73
C'mon, have you guys even listened to the track? It gets pretty good after 1:38.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 12:54 PM #55 of 73
C'mon, have you guys even listened to the track? It gets pretty good after 1:38.
*smacks head against desk*

It's from Final Fantasy.

This is almost ridiculous to me.

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 01:03 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 12:03 PM #56 of 73
So was CHz's MintJam nom.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 01:08 PM #57 of 73
Anything from Final Fantasy is too well known. Before you know it, we'll be having theme weeks with 7 Chocobo remixes and the theme from The Super Mario Bros Super Show.

How ya doing, buddy?
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 01:55 PM #58 of 73
Originally Posted by ikkei
2 points - Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation

2 points - Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

2 points - Pop'n Twinbee - Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)
I just noticed his points haven't been tallied into the final score.

EDIT: No this time I JUST noticed I swear

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Darkcomet72; Jul 3, 2006 at 02:01 PM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 02:03 PM #59 of 73
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
Anything from Final Fantasy is too well known. Before you know it, we'll be having theme weeks with 7 Chocobo remixes and the theme from The Super Mario Bros Super Show.
No, the theme from TSMBSS is inadmissible for a completely different reason.

IT SUCKS ASS.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 02:14 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 01:14 PM #60 of 73
I think that's a "slippery slope" scenario that's unlikely to happen. If everyone on GFF knows about the Special Tracks album except me, I'm willing to accept that. But if not, you can't disqualify a track because of its source as long as the arrangement is obscure and different enough from the original.

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 03:46 PM #61 of 73
I think that's a "slippery slope" scenario that's unlikely to happen. If everyone on GFF knows about the Special Tracks album except me, I'm willing to accept that. But if not, you can't disqualify a track because of its source as long as the arrangement is obscure and different enough from the original.
The Chocobo poll says otherwise. I quote the "No" from it, which won 10-5:

Quote:
No
You believe that there should be some sort of obscurity test applied to the sources of arranged tracks. Presumably this will be hammered out at a later date, possibly with another poll.
If anything is too popular as a source, it's the Chocobo theme.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:02 PM #62 of 73
I'm going to repeat this here:

Originally Posted by Crash Landon
I like option 2. (bar arrangements of tracks above a certain level of obscurity, where that level is somewhere between One Winged Angel and Suikoden)

The way I see it, an arrangement of One-Winged Angel, no matter how obscure, is still going to sound like One-Winged Angel. And I'm pretty damned sick of that song.

A good example would be this:Kid Icarus (Partena no Kagami) & Metroid ~ Arranged Cassete - Hirokazu "Hip" Tanaka <05> bgm medley (Metroid)

It's definitely an arrangement and it's probably known but not immensely so. And it's by a reasonably popular composer. Just the same, it's the freaking music from Brinstar! We all know this melody. We've heard it umpteen times. Aside from some more resonant synths and background fx, it's nothing new.

Just because it isn't the original track doesn't mean it's relatively unknown.
So regardless of how obscure a remix of the Chocobo theme is, it's still the Chocobo theme, with which we're all quite familiar. If, for some reason, it sounds nothing like the Chocobo theme, and that's the basis of your argument, then it's just a very poor remix.

I get the sense that this is all a roundabout attempt at invalidating CHz's MintJam nomination.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Jul 3, 2006 at 04:05 PM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 04:28 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 03:28 PM #63 of 73
No, I actually like this arrangement. I just wanted to get this one in before the vote was officially closed.

Also, your Metroid example isn't very good, because it's pretty much a MIDI rip with different instruments. The Special Tracks Chocobo arrangement has an entirely different style.

FELIPE NO

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 05:01 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 02:01 PM #64 of 73
I had a nominated track that took silver eons ago from White Melodies of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. I wouldn't go as far to say anything FF is too well known. Most of it, yeah.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:42 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 05:42 PM #65 of 73
Oh wow, this reply is going to be buckets of fun.

Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
I just noticed his points haven't been tallied into the final score.

EDIT: No this time I JUST noticed I swear
Crap, this actually changes the top three.

orion_mk3

Originally Posted by Mo0

IT SUCKS ASS.

THE SUPER MARIO BROS. SUPER SHOW IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.

So was CHz's MintJam nom.
Splitting hairs, Seiken Densetsu != FF. I'd similarly argue that FF Legend 1-3 (SaGa) remixes would be okay since I don't think their soundtracks are particularly well known (just an example, since I'm not planning to nominate the only one I know that'd be eligible). I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

Besides:
Originally Posted by Nomination rule 2
Use common sense; if the album/game it comes from has the words "Final" and "Fantasy" in its title, there's a good chance many people have heard it already.
Nothing from FF is automatically disqualified. Sure, as a practical matter, just about every original soundtrack would be gone, except maaaaaaybe FF2j, FF3j, FFTA, and FFCC.

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe.

THAT SAID

But if not, you can't disqualify a track because of its source as long as the arrangement is obscure and different enough from the original.
Yes, yes we can. The vote closed on Friday, so it's been determined that we CAN factor in the source.

Besides, the Troian Beauty remix is better.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:46 PM #66 of 73
Quote:
THE SUPER MARIO BROS. SUPER SHOW IS NOT A VIDEO GAME.
But it's a REMIX of a song from a videogame. Arrange CDs aren't video games either, remember. :biggrin:

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 07:52 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 06:52 PM #67 of 73
Originally Posted by CHz
Besides, the Troian Beauty remix is better.
Quote:

I have bad taste in music
Just reminding you...

Most amazing jew boots

Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 08:26 PM #68 of 73
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
If, for some reason, it sounds nothing like the Chocobo theme, and that's the basis of your argument, then it's just a very poor remix.
Apparently that IS the basis of his argument, but I don't get what you're saying.

I myself listened to the song in question, and thought it was a HORRID remix. At the same time, I enjoyed the song itself. Now, I could understand the lack of enjoyment of a remix because it wasn't faithful to the original tune (One of the main reasons I don't like OCRemix, or the remixing community as a whole). However, in SotW, judging based on faithfulness of the original is just plain unfair, since some songs (most) are original.

I'm not saying I want to see this new Chocobo song in (but after listening, I honestly wouldn't mind [Okay I AM saying]), it's just that I couldn't find the point of that post.

Originally Posted by CHz
I have bad taste in music
Everybody who participates in SotW has bad taste in music. Except me.

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:00 PM #69 of 73
Darkcomet, I didn't actually listen to the FF VI remix. I was simply saying that it's either a track that sounds very familiar because it's another variation on the Chocobo theme, or it's a track that is different enough to stand on its own because it doesn't sound lke the theme much at all.

In the first case, it's too familiar, even if it contains different instrumentation. In the latter case, if it sounds so little like the original, it has no business being called a remix.

Also, your Metroid example isn't very good, because it's pretty much a MIDI rip with different instruments. The Special Tracks Chocobo arrangement has an entirely different style.
Quality has nothing to do with eligibility. An arrangement can be the worst piece of crap around and still, technically, be eligible.

Obscurity matters, in both the original source and the notoriety of the arrangement. If someone took a very underrated track from FFVI and arranged that, then it might stand a chance. Maybe. Probably not, but just maybe.

However, when you consider that the chocobo theme has been heard and variated through so many different FF games, another arrangement is really a drop in the bucket.

I used the Metroid arrangement as an example because it's a good demonstration of how a track's obscurity sometimes cannot overcome the melody's familiarity when eligibility is concerned. Obscure or not, 90% of listeners will recognize it as the Brinstar music. Seeing as that theme is well-known enough to have been remixed for use in Smash Bros., I'd say it's not obscure, even in arranged form.

This is basically how I also feel about the FFVI track.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:07 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 06:07 PM #70 of 73
Can we get Dshu to start nominate some undeniably obscure tracks?

IT IS A CHALLENGE.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:10 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 08:10 PM #71 of 73
I meant that your example was inappropriate, not that the track was bad. The Brinstar track is barely different from the original, while I think the Chocobo arrangement is relatively unique, including different notes and chord progressions as opposed to merely a change in instrumentation. I saw a lot of people in the poll thread advocating a system where the difference of the arrangement is taken into account in the case that the source is fairly familiar.

And Kaleb, it's not my fault you guys change the rules every time I nominate. :P

P.S. Can we get to people start spelling my forum name correctly?

IT IS A CHALLENGE.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Dhsu; Jul 3, 2006 at 11:56 PM.
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 09:41 PM #72 of 73
Perhaps a source can be too familiar?

I believe that's the crux of the whole debate here.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jul 3, 2006, 10:27 PM Local time: Jul 3, 2006, 08:27 PM #73 of 73
But it's a REMIX of a song from a videogame. Arrange CDs aren't video games either, remember. :biggrin:
Aye, but Eric Allaman, Shuki Levy, and Haim Saban aren't video game composers.

And actually, since we've banned film and anime music in Nomination rule 4, we should probably ban TV music too.

Just reminding you...
Hey, I put that in my sig on purpose to undercut everything I say in GGMD.

And besides, it's true. Ask Larry.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 64 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating