Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 64 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 06:09 PM #1 of 73
Song of the Week - WEEK 64 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating

Week 64 Voting is open.
Week 65 Nominating is open.

Week 64 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Tracks:
Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleVOPM
Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event "Teo's Death")
Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation
Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track
Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker
Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)
Tobal No. 1 Original Soundtrack - Toridon!!

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleVOPM was originally in M4A format. This file has been used to make a LAME MP3 version for greater compatibility. The original M4A version is uploaded to the Extras directory for those demanding original encoding quality.

Week 65 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here are the links to the corresponding threads at the other forums:
- Soundtrack Central
- Chudah's Corner

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 26, 2006 at 06:32 PM.
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 12:34 AM #2 of 73
Lime green?

Don't get fancy with ME!

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 08:18 PM #3 of 73
My next nomination is so awesome I decided to post it here instead of STC.

Album: Hotdog Storm (Game Rip)
Track: Stage 5
Composer: Fumito Tamayama, Shige Masco, Yoko
Year: 1996
Source: LOL
Cat a log Number: N/A
Awesomeness factor: 10/10
Additional notes 1: I ripped this myself. I'll upload.
Additional notes 2: This just might be the greatest song I ever nominated.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:02 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 02:02 AM #4 of 73
Originally Posted by Darkcomet72
My next nomination is so awesome I decided to post it here instead of STC.

Album: Hotdog Storm (Game Rip)
Track: Stage 5
Composer: Fumito Tamayama, Shige Masco, Yoko
Year: 1996
Source: LOL
Cat a log Number: N/A
Awesomeness factor: 10/10
Additional notes 1: I ripped this myself. I'll upload.
Additional notes 2: This just might be the greatest song I ever nominated.
I thought that was a given.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:30 PM #5 of 73
I'm still listening to this week's nominations. There are several that have warranted listening three or four times to determine which I like most.

In the meantime, I'm gonna toss up my next nomination:

Album: RAINBOWS Chris Huelsbeck Vol. 3
Track Title: Giana Sisters (Theme)
Track Number: 01
Artist: Chris Huelsbeck
Catalog Number: HCD-5
Year: 1994
Source: http://www.huelsbeck.com/work.html

I was speaking idiomatically.
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 09:35 PM #6 of 73
Point Spread:

3 points: Suikoden
2 points: Tobal
1 point: Twinbee

Mini SotW time:
All from the Radiata Stories OST:

Struggle II
Hopping Sun
Devote for Nature
Artisan
Scarlet Wind
Paya-Paya ~ Instrumental Ver
Legendary Sword ~Loop Ver.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 26, 2006, 11:39 PM #7 of 73
Might as well vote, since I made the damn thread after all.

Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II") Piano and lush strings, and in a Falcom track? Anything's possible in the Special Box. While the melody's a bit mopey at times, the piano keeps the piece moving along at a nice clip. A little jazzy, a little classical, and a nice treat.

FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleVOPM Where's the kitchen sink? Everything else in the house was tapped as part of this track. The variety of percussive hits, as well as the way they fade in and out of each other, is interesting from a technical standpoint, but the first stirs of melody don't appear until halfway through. Add to that the grinding, repetitive nature of that melody, and you have a lot of unrealized potential.

Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event "Teo's Death") I suppose my expectations were too high for this track, what with all the hubbub and ground-shaking events it set in motion. The melody itself is nice, but it's s t r e t c h e d out so much that it becomes lugubrious rather than simply mournful. If things had been tighter, I could see this as a melancholy masterpiece; as is, I'm just not feelin' it.

Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation Hard-edged techno-synth...with violins! My tolerance for this sort of thing varies; combining orchestral and electronic can be wonderful, or it can lead to disaster. Things wind up in the middle of the road here; the electronics are intrusive at times, while the strings threaten to drown them out at other times. When the synth predominates, the track is dark, but the strings alter that mood completely. Ultimately rather inconsistent for my taste.

Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track I was buying this track at first--whistling plus techno is something unusual, after all. Then the track changed styles completely, went from techno to funk, and threw in repetitive singing and voice samples. Ugh.

Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker Itchy Nipple games never interested me much, and their music always seemed rather limp, with poor instrument samples and mundane melody. None of that here; this track swings with energy to spare, and is nothing if not creative. There's an abrupt style change when the fiddle comes in--and when it leaves--though I liked things on balance.

Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM) Reminds me of something, though I can't for the life of me recall what. A nice melodic synth piece that's a bit predictable but still enjoyable.

Tobal No. 1 Original Soundtrack - Toridon!! The OST Of A Thousand Composers. Figures that this track was written by the only one I'm not familiar with. It's a jaunty little thing, not serious at all, and quirky to a fault. Reminds me of "Face Like A Frog," actually.

The Point Spread
3 pts. - Falcom-In-The-Box
2 pts. - TOBY!!
1 pt. - Poppin' Twinzits

FELIPE NO

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 26, 2006 at 11:44 PM.
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 04:41 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 05:41 PM #8 of 73
Phantom Brave - 2 points
I liked this song, quite.. happy, and granted some parts felt a lil' weird on the ears, but it was pretty nice.

Falcom - A Fast Flight To You - 2 points
Kinda slow, kinda soppy, but it was good enough.

Genso Suikoden - 1 points
Well, kinda generic to me, but it's good enough compared to the rest

Toridon!!! - 1 point
The rhythm was nice.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 07:24 AM #9 of 73
Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II"): I expect this track will strike the fancy of many SotW listeners. It seems to run the gamut of cheerfulness and melancholy equally, pleasing both palates. I admit that it's not bad, although I definitely enjoy the uplifting parts a lot more. I do think that the violin comes on a little strong at times, however. Still, a good track.

FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleVOPM: This one is very unique, but that isn't quite enough here, for my tastes. The percussion track is interesting but it's way too fast. The sounds are intriguing but I feel that more could've been done at a slower tempo. At 8:47, it takes too long to really build into anything, and I'm not entirely certain that it ever does. The synth-groaning around 3:45 is pretty harsh on the ears.

Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event "Teo's Death"): Ah, the requisite sad-sack entry. I know these tracks appeal to a lot of people but they've gotta be pretty special to pique my interest. 'Theme of Sadness' doesn't do anything wrong, per se; it's just entirely too forgettable in a vast ocean of despondent tracks.

Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation: This one has me scratching my head. It's weird and parts of it are actually enjoyable, but there are also some moments that leave me a little flat. The style changes are rather stark and I'm not crazy about how the entire mood flip-flops suddenly. It's a fair technique in music, but I feel like the execution was off. Nevertheless, the melodies contained within the string sections are nice and I've found myself liking this track more than several others this week.

Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track: Quirky, for sure. The whistle-synth is highly unusual but not ill-fitting. There's a nice atmosphere that reigns through a lot of it. And the bass synth line in the background is quite awesome in parts. But a major UGH for the vocal interjections. Repetitively annoying, off-key and superfluous to the score. If that woman's voice weren't present, I could see this track doing very well. Thank god for that bass line; I really looked forward to it on the loop.

Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker: My submission for this go-round. Tenpei Sato has a reputation for being competent but a little bland in his work. 'Game Breaker' is a glaring slap in the face to everyone who's ever dismissed Sato as a one-trick composer. It's creative, vibrant and bold. The pace ebbs and flows as would a real battle, while the instrumentation temporarily recedes, then comes back with a vengeance for more. The latin-inspired rhythm gives 'Game Breaker' a fiery passion that's quite unusual for Sato's work, and that's why I love it. I can actually see a professional pair doing a tango to this track, it's that charged. Very awesome work.

Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM): The Twinbee games have offered up some interesting music. The one persistent flaw with around half of them, however, is that they're a lot like cotton candy: they're sweet and fluffy, but once you're done, you've found that it wasn't really that filling. Sadly, 'Sky Avenue' falls into this category. Nice, good to listen to for a little while but it's nothing I'd really come back to. The Twinbee series has better offerings.

Tobal No. 1 Original Soundtrack - Toridon!!: Weirdness abounds! The percussion is very peculiar but not unpleasant. But I do have a bit of a problem with the melodic layer of this track; it seems discombobulated, like the composer was trying to be weird just for weirdness' sake. And when the melody does try to gather itself, it competes with the overpowering drums. I think some volume adjustments could help "Toridon!!" significantly. Also, if I had my way, I'd ditch that gong. It's just too much noise in this track.

POINTS!!

3 Points: Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker
1 Point: Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation
1 Point: Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
1 Point: Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

In the end, the bass line from the Hunks Work Shop! track got it a point, which I think it's going to need. The Falcom track was a "duh" choice and 'Temptation' had some pretty good moments in between some lesser ones. Everything else felt a little bland or underdeveloped to me. A so-so week, but not all bad. The Falcom track's a sure keeper, and I'll continue loving 'Game Breaker' as long as I live.

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Jun 27, 2006 at 07:27 AM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 10:29 PM #10 of 73
I think I'll be voting sometime later this week. Dear lord, theres a Hunks Workshop track in here. We've transcended H-games and moved on to Y-games.

Album: Zombies Ate My Neighbors (Game Rip)
Track: Zombie Panic
Composer: Joe McDermott
Year: 1993

Double Post:
Hey, has the title track from Civ 4 been nominated yet? If not, I FUCKING CALL THAT ONE.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by value tart; Jun 28, 2006 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 08:11 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 07:11 PM #11 of 73
There were a lot of really good tracks this week, I had to break from my usual 3/2/1 spread and be generous with the points spread; just about every track was deserving of at least one.

I really enjoyed this piece. The pleasant orchestration and well developed melody come together in a positive manner, making it highly enjoyable after repeated listens.

FM Sound Module Maniax – TripleVOPM

The three minute repeating drum loops really kill this track for me. The lead in time is not worth the slightly above average synth melody that precedes it.

Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event "Teo's Death")

I found this to be one of the more memorable themes from the Genso Suikoden soundtrack. I think this was partially due to the quality of the instruments used, and its contextual use during three high profile death scenes. The melody isn’t too shabby either, and really tugs on the heartstrings.

I don’t know why you had to include a game spoiler in the track title though, even if it is how it was stated on the album.

Granado Espada Soundtrack CD – Temptation

I’m really digging the fusion of techno and symphonic elements in this piece. The introduction and conclusion of this track were really superb in my opinion, and if the middle was just as strong it would have garnered an easy three points. Sadly, the melody languishes out in the middle, making this an uneven but overall decent nomination.

It was kind of a surprise to hear this track open with a drum loop, and a whistled tune. Even more surprising was that it actually sounded very slick. The pop vocal interlude was soft of distracting though, and really broke the mood of the piece. Perhaps if there was more of a lead in, or if it was downplayed slightly this wouldn’t be an issue. Regardless, this is an enjoyable piece that is anything but conventional.

Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker

This is quite an interesting nomination, which features a blend of musical styles and instruments that work surprisingly well together. The electronica/jazz introduction leads into a decidedly Latin violin and guitar section. And yet it all manages to work, creating a very catchy melody that could easily go on “Repeat One” for an hour or two.

Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)

I found this to be bright and bubbly piece of stage music, that is both a pleasant and forgettable melody. It is highly evocative of Jun Ishikawa’s work from the Kirby series, which is a good or bad thing depending on how you look at it.

Another weird track, but that is not a compliment in this case. There are a few passages that start developing a fun, and funky melody (mainly during the trumpet sections) but the rest is way too muddled for my tastes.

Point Spread:

2 Points: Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker
2 Points: Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
1 Point: Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation:
1 Point: Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version
Runner Up: Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

And my nomination for next week:

Album: Dragon Quest V ~Bride of the Heavens~ Symphonic Suite
Track Title: Satan
Track Number: 9
Artist: Koichi Sugiyama
Catalog Number: APCG-9004
Year: 1994
Source: http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/dq5-ss/index.html

Its most likely going to do badly, but that isn't the point (usually...)

How ya doing, buddy?
Cyan_Ide
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4533

Level 1.86

Apr 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 09:46 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 08:46 PM #12 of 73
2 points - Tobal No. 1 OST - Toridon!!

2 points - Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")

1 point - Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event "Teo's Death")

1 point - Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 28, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 07:47 PM #13 of 73
In order of preference:

2 point(s) :: Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation
Granado Espada has some excellent tracks, and this is one of them. Temptation sounds much like what would be achieved if you locked David Bergeaud (Ratchet & Clank) and Go Shiina (Tales of Legendia) in a recording studio together and asked them to compose a track. Having said that, it becomes apparent why I rank this track so highly.

2 point(s) :: Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)
SNES BIAS
Also, near the end of this track, it actually sounds much like the work of Kondo or Uematsu. Interesting!

1 point :: Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker
Superb instrument usage and a great melody. Easily one of the best tracks from the album.

1 point :: Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track
It's tracks like this that prove Shinji Hosoe's versatility. I enjoy the whistling and even the vocal samples; those elements really add originality to this piece. Nevertheless, it's a catchy and vitalizing tune.

Good melody and instrumentation quality. I can't find it incredibly memorable, but it's still good stuff.

It's a roaring and flamboyant track. It's also a repetitive and nerve-racking track if I'm not in the mood for it. But at it's best moments, this funky track shows a good amount of originality.

The live guitar is always going to give an advantage. However, the melody is merely decent; only getting interesting right as it ends, which is rather soon. If this weren't so short, I may have enjoyed it more.

FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleDVDA
I respect the unique sound, but 8 minutes is just too damn much. I'd have to say the best part is the use of the "fake ending" and going into the following section. Listened to this once through (though I've heard the ringtone version multiple times), and it's been off my playlist ever since. What is this kim-chi shit.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:28 AM #14 of 73
I've been updating the votes on the SoTW wiki page as they come in, but I'm not sure if I'm also supposed to add new nominations to the queue as well. If so, I'm not sure where certain people (like Crash) would be, since they have fallen off the top of the queue since last week and haven't yet been added to the bottom. Guidance?

Originally Posted by Excrono
Album: Dragon Quest V ~Bride of the Heavens~
There was a time when people might have though DQ to be too popular. But we're in the time of the Suikoden Precedent how

Excrono
HD-497

Member 141

Level 14.84

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:50 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 11:50 PM #15 of 73
Originally Posted by orion_mk3
I've been updating the votes on the SoTW wiki page as they come in, but I'm not sure if I'm also supposed to add new nominations to the queue as well. If so, I'm not sure where certain people (like Crash) would be, since they have fallen off the top of the queue since last week and haven't yet been added to the bottom. Guidance?

There was a time when people might have though DQ to be too popular. But we're in the time of the Suikoden Precedent how
There have been at least two (non-placing) nominations from the DQ series in the past (as I recall.) And I don't not recall there being anyone who was actively opposing them. But, as you said it is a moot point due to the GS decision.

FELIPE NO
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 01:21 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 11:21 PM #16 of 73
Crash is in the queue (right below my name, actually). If someone isn't on the queue, just stick their name below any other new nominators in the appropriately named New Nominators section.

We've had DQ before, so this isn't a huge problem with me, especially since we haven't had anything from DQ5. Maybe DQ1 or DQ8 would be too popular.

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 04:05 AM #17 of 73
I see I'm in the queue again, which is nice. But perhaps someone could add my nomination next time they're updating.

I mean, you got SonicPanda's magnum opus of a track title in there. I must've been passed over in the hour it took to type his nomination up.

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 09:49 AM #18 of 73
(3 points) Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker: I haven't been a fan of Sato's previous entries in this contest, but this one's a winner. Lovely upbeat track with a distinct latin flavor that gives it kick (anything flamenco = win). Could have mistook it for a Wild Arms track if I closed my eyes.

(2 points) Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II"): Piano was all I needed to hear. Violins add a nice touch too.

(1 point) Pop'n Twinbee: Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM): A solid piece of synth. No frills, but it works.

Just missed: Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track - Like the syncopated pacing, like the whistle (another Wild Arms sound-alike). I'm more tolerant of voice sampling than others, but here it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Last place: FM Sound Module Maniax – TripleVOPM: I don't like to mention songs just to bash them. BUT -- this is one tough nut to crack. All that percussion, so very little substance, and nine minutes to boot. This could be for someone, but so not for me.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:07 AM #19 of 73
3 points: Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker
2 points: Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II")
1 point: Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

Most amazing jew boots
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:44 AM #20 of 73
Quote:
when would that be? A long time ago (I think it may have even been a single digit week) I nominated the regular battle theme from Dragon Quest 6. And geez, if I thought that my Suikoden nom would've caused such an uproar, I would've just gone with the Shining Force 2 nom, It probably would've done better anyway.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 12:05 PM #21 of 73
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
when would that be? A long time ago (I think it may have even been a single digit week) I nominated the regular battle theme from Dragon Quest 6. And geez, if I thought that my Suikoden nom would've caused such an uproar, I would've just gone with the Shining Force 2 nom, It probably would've done better anyway.
I wasn't really being serious

In other news, the nomination queue is now updated with this week's new nominations; I'll have a final nomination of my own up shortly. I also added a new "subtotal" line to the Voting Archive in the wiki, so people can see at a glance how well their tracks are doing relative to one another before the final tally.

EDIT: My *final* nomination for next week. Sorry for all the changes, but I've got a lot of variables to consider.

Album: King Kong The Game
Track Title: The T-Rex Cometh
Track Number: N/A
Artist: Chance Thomas
Catalog Number: N/A
Year: 2005
Source: http://www.kingkonggame.com/us/music/

Last edited by orion_mk3; Jun 29, 2006 at 02:03 PM.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Jun 29, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 12:53 PM #22 of 73
Gosh, MoO, your Civ4 nomination is fantastic. I take my pointy wizard's hat off to you. Votes for Week 65 following shortly.

Alright, here are my votes minus comments (running on a somewhat tight schedule this week). Some great entires this week. Hunks Work Shop! was a big surprise, for one.

(3 points) Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

(2 points) Pop'n Twinbee - Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)

(1 point) Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II 'Ending II')

Phantom Brave just fell short on points and I was tempted to give FM Sound Module Maniax a point because I did rather like the general feel of the song. Pity it's too long at some points.

And just as an update, MoO changed his nomination to the one below:

* Track: Baba Yet
* Artist: Christopher Tin
* Album: Civilization IV Official Soundtrack
* Track Number: 10

I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Jun 30, 2006 at 01:07 AM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 12:04 AM #23 of 73
O_O Thanks!

FELIPE NO
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 10:11 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 05:11 PM #24 of 73
Falcom Special Box '90 - A Fast Flight to You (Ys II "Ending II") (3 points)
Falcom is a box of surprises as my noms. Michio Fujisawa is in charge of the "new age" arrangements in Falcom, and evidently, he isn't so well-known as Ryo Yonemitsu or Tomohiko Kishimoto. Anyway, this piece shows the Fujisawa's style and his skill as an arranger. Piano and strings is all what he needs for his arrangements and this piece is no exception. To be honest, this one is one of his more lively pieces, but the slow and deep strings here are present too.

This wonderful arrangement of "Ending II" overflows optimism, it's maybe the most positive piece of music than I had heard. It's a piece of contrasts, the slow and sorrowful passages in contrast with the uplifting violin, the classical strings in opposition to the jazzy piano interlude. Music is about the experience, just let it flow.

FM Sound Module Maniax - TripleVOPM
Quite the creative track. It's hard that only through percussion and repetitive rhythms the listener doesn't tire during almost nine minutes. The addition of electronica elements isn't enough to rescue me from boredom. Risky proposition although ineffective.

Genso Suikoden Original Game Soundtrack - Theme of Sadness ~ Guitar Version (from event 'Teo's Death')
It's a pity that this track is the typical sad song. A little of the creativity of the previous track would be very beneficial in this one. Too undeveloped and generic for my taste. Possibly, in the game context works very well.

Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation (2 points)
Wow, this one reminds me so much of "Gothic Neclord". The combination of techno and violins is masterful and just for the originality factor it deserves all my praises, but not my points. Moreover, the techno beats bore me, I can't get enough of the splendid violins.

It has a pleasant atmosphere until the generic techno voices appear. The whistling effect is the stand-out feature, with regard to the rest, is just decent. Why Hosoe had to add those annoying voices?

Phantom Brave ~Original sound track~ - Game Breaker (1 point)
It has written the name of Sato all over it. I have never hidden my admiration for Sato, he almost always composes very original music and of my taste. "Game Breaker" doesn't break the trend, it's so original and awesome as always. A new favorite of mine, kudos to the nominator.

Pop'n Twinbee - Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)
This one sounds me familiar, I can't say why. Anyway, it's a fairly nice tune but quite limited. The melodic progression is predictable, even for almost three minutes, the melody feels stale and dull. Too sugar without any ingredient to counteract it.

It pretends to be innovative, and it is but paying a price. The accessibility isn't its main virtue, in my opinion, it uses weird samples just for the sake of being weird. The structure isn't convincing at all, I can't get into it.

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 30, 2006, 11:23 AM Local time: Jun 30, 2006, 05:23 PM #25 of 73
2 points - Granado Espada Soundtrack CD - Temptation

2 points - Hunks Work Shop! Original Sound Track - Bonus Track

2 points - Pop'n Twinbee - Graffiti - Sky Avenue (Stage 5 BGM)

Overall this week had very good stuff, maybe there was a little lack of hard to find material. I was going to make a 6 hit combo, but I finally thought that giving 1 point to each song was nearly like not giving anything to them. I'm sorry for my lazyness in making some comments.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 64 Voting/WEEK 65 Nominating