Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[News] Hiroki Kikuta - New Projects

Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 10:51 AM #1 of 77
Hiroki Kikuta - New Projects

Post-Koudelka, most thought that Hiroki Kikuta had fallen off the edge of the earth until he turned up... composing hentai games of all things. Well, since then, it's gradually emerged that he's done quite a bit more than just this. His known non-hentai projects:

1) Kikuta started work on an ambitious three year project, the Chinese MMORPG Bukyo, in 2001, where he was the concept designer, game planner, and composer. Developed by Square Enix, the game's development was abandoned after a closed beta testing period in Taiwan during 2004, meaning neither Kikuta's concept nor score was ever released to the world.

2) Kikuta published the much-publicised original album Lost Files in 2006. His first commercial release in seven years, it was principally a scattered collection of tracks from various projects that haven't been heard before, including the original versions of the demo tracks he submitted to Square to be recruited by them. This album is sold on his personal website and at VGM World.

3) Kikuta is writing a novel and its accompanying CD. In Tennin-so Story, Kikuta's expression of inspiration is anticipated to reach new levels and, by working alone, he will not be compromise by others. Prior to the novel's release, a CD will be released in August 2006's Comic Market 70 event, based on the same world. At last, Kikuta will create a brand new major work that will actually be published!

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Mr. X; Jun 21, 2006 at 12:40 PM.
lightgem
Chocobo

Member 1010

Level 12.35

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:41 AM #2 of 77
I'm not so sure what your point is.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Secret Squirrel
River Chocobo

Member 89

Level 24.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:56 AM #3 of 77
Just an aside: I don't think that composing for H-game soundtracks is considered such a step down in Japan. The releases from the most prestigious companies do seem to get some good-quality musical talent.

That's interesting about the CMMORPG. It's certainly possible that the music will turn up somewhere, even if he doesn't reuse it. The novel sounds interesting too. We probably will never see an English translation, but I'm sure the cd will pop up with all the other C70 stuff.

How ya doing, buddy?
Slightly Dark -- updated weekly with rare out-of-print game music.
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:21 PM #4 of 77
Quote:
I'm not so sure what your point is.
1) To announce a major new project of Hiroki Kikuta's to an English-speaking audience (unless someone else has and I've been blind)
2) To emphasise that Kikuta has done more than just compose for H-games and compile an album of lost files since Koudelka, contrary to popular belief
3) To make some clarifications about the Bukyo projects

Quote:
Just an aside: I don't think that composing for H-game soundtracks is considered such a step down in Japan. The releases from the most prestigious companies do seem to get some good-quality musical talent.
I agree here to a large extent. The genre of the games Kikuta composed for post-Koudelka didn't bother me and I know there's plenty of musicians (e.g. Shinji Hosoe and Yasuhisa Watanabe) have made respectable soundtracks to H-games while evolving their styles. Still, I still considered a step-down from the perspective that, for Koudelka, he was involved in practically all sides of production for a major RPG, whereas his role was much more limited and for a smaller audience in the H-games. So, to me, it's more of an issue of audience and role than genre.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:32 AM #5 of 77
Hey, what makes H-Games are something to be ashamed of? I'm sure there's some entertaining ones out there.
Also, with people like Kikuta composing the music for games like Sakura Relaxation.. They can't be all that bad. xp

Interesting info, in any case. I'll be awaiting more news on the novel, and moreso, the CD that will be released to accompany it. More Kikuta music is welcome in my collection. Lost Files was excellent, no doubt. It reminded me of the stuff that he is capable of.

As for the MMORPG stuff, I wonder why its development was discontinued? S-E was too busy with the Final Fantasy games, or what.

EDIT: Yeah, good point about the audience in H-Games, Mr. Maul. There's definitely a smaller group of people that Kikuta's music could reach to, since he ended up composing the music for obscure games.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Kanji; Jun 21, 2006 at 12:37 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 02:18 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 11:18 AM #6 of 77
I heard of Bukyo and bought Lost Files, but I'm still ready for more. I'm glad to hear he's going to keep composing!

Also,

How ya doing, buddy?
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:30 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:30 PM #7 of 77
Yeah Sakura Relaxation was awesome.

Any info on Bukyo? I mean, despite the fact it was a close beta, surely some chinese boy shared the music somewhere...

Sounds like a new holy search ~

Oh yeah worst thread title ever

FELIPE NO
Argentis
RyuFAN

Member 4057

Level 31.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 04:14 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 10:14 PM #8 of 77
I love all of Kikuta's work. Even Koudelka.
I'm glad to see he's making a come back, I just hope he hasn't given up on game music - I love Soukaigi, and I hope that in the future there will be a Seiken Densetsu Arranged Album (might be asking for a bit much) even though Mitsuda is releasing a arranged album of Chrono Cross.

Shame about the online game - looking forward to the next cd

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 06:19 PM #9 of 77
Originally Posted by niki
Yeah Sakura Relaxation was awesome.

Any info on Bukyo? I mean, despite the fact it was a close beta, surely some chinese boy shared the music somewhere...

Sounds like a new holy search ~
There's quite a lot of info about it here. It's all in Chinese, but I know there's a few Chinese dudes in this forum.

Quote:
Oh yeah worst thread title ever
That made me cry! ;_; But, yeah, the truth hurts.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarknessTear
Metal Overman King Gainer

Member 2520

Level 14.96

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:12 PM #10 of 77
Lost Files was pretty bad. Where's the Soukaigi quality sexiness?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 12:41 PM #11 of 77
You guys seriously can't set Soukaigi as some sort of standard for Kikuta. That is a high bar. It had live instrumentation. Most soundtracks don't even have this.

And Lost Files didn't suck.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
fallen
threadkiller

Member 9368

Level 1.86

Jul 2006

Old Jul 6, 2006, 02:28 AM #12 of 77
Originally Posted by DarknessTear
Lost Files was pretty bad. Where's the Soukaigi quality sexiness?
I was a bit disappointed at the beginning of the album, but after learning in this thread that they were likely from his "demo tape" to Squaresoft, I can fully accept that they are subpar when compared to Kikuta's other work.

If you get past the initial disappointment, the later tracks on Lost Files begin to reach a Soukaigi-like level of goodness. I recommend listening again with a fresh disposition.

Also, Mr. Maul, thank you so much for the information you provided in the opening post. <3

Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:10 AM #13 of 77
As much as I hate to revive an old and horribly titled thread, it's been announced that Hiroki Kikuta has a new project at Square Enix. This is the MMORPG Concerto Gate, to be hosted by NHN Japan in April 2007. He has been hired as a co-composer, whereas Kenji Ito will lead. Some more info here for the interested.

I expected Kikuta to return to SE after the abandoned Bukyo project, but I'm surprised he'll be working on another MMORPG and even more shocked he'll be collaborating with Kenji Ito (a dubious collaboration, perhaps). I just hope the game and soundtrack don't fade into obscurity like Fantasy Earth, Cross Gate, Front Mission Online, and the various Chinese MMORPGs I know nothing about... or worse still, go down the root of Bakusou Yankee Damashii, Bukyo, and Ambrosia Odyssey...

Last edited by Mr. X; Jan 24, 2007 at 05:08 PM.
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 11:49 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 06:49 PM #14 of 77
Great news! Much can be expected from a collaboration of those two. =)

Oh, and I'm not too sure why are you naming all those MMORPGs in this context, except for Bukyo ...

Want me to change the title? Can I? Can I? ;_;

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:41 PM #15 of 77
Great news! Much can be expected from a collaboration of those two. =)
I find the collaboration strange, to be honest. I appreciate Kikuta and Ito for very different reasons. I find Kikuta's style much more original and subtle. Still, I felt Ito did well referencing Kikuta's Seiken Densetsu style in Dawn of Mana.

Quote:
Oh, and I'm not too sure why are you naming all those MMORPGs in this context, except for Bukyo ...
Well, for the sake of saying that the music for most of SE's MMORPGs has been shrouded in mystery and some MMORPGs just failed outright or were cancelled. So I'm dubious about an OST release...

Quote:
Want me to change the title? Can I? Can I? ;_;
Feel free to!

FELIPE NO
niki
Valar Dohaeris

Member 30

Level 41.66

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:52 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 09:52 PM #16 of 77
I think a MMORPG is exactly the kind of game in which their different styles could mix well, actually. Diversity is also something MMORPGS need desperately, on a gaming experience plan.

done. i went for something original ~

Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:46 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 06:46 PM #17 of 77
Surprising, but awesome news. More stuff from Kikuta is always welcome, and the collaboration with Ito should be interesting to say the least. It's also good to hear that he's joining forces with Square-Enix again (even if it's only for this project). Wonder if we can expect him to compose music for more console RPGs (specifically, one of the Mana games)? I suppose it's unlikely, but it would be nice.

Carl
More than 10 Years of vgm collecting

Member 12578

Level 23.53

Sep 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 AM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 11:41 AM #18 of 77
Here's some followup information, as the title was mentioned in the first post but not anything else. It's...

Tennin So Kitan (NSLCD-0002)

Just 1 track, 8:37 in length, but a good one.

Starts off with a short drama (presumably about the novel's story), then around 1:50 the song itself comes in. It's all instrumental until 5:30, then the vocal lyrics get added.

Attached is the cover pic.

Most amazing jew boots
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 00 Front.jpg (39.3 KB, 35 views)
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 12:27 PM #19 of 77
Thanks for the info and cover, Carl. The track sounds interesting, even if I thought this project would be more ambitious in terms of length. Great you think it's a good one.

Anybody know if Kikuta composed Puzzlebox's latest entry, Shukubo no Shinshitsu, and whether a soundtrack was released?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
datschge
Sakuraba Fan

Member 9353

Level 11.78

Jul 2006

Old Jan 25, 2007, 05:51 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 11:51 PM #20 of 77
"Shukubo no Shinshitsu"? If it's 叔母の寝室 (romanized "oba no shinshitsu" on all Japanese websites which did so) then there's a very tasty sample at the less tasty site. Not particularly Kikuta-sounding to me, and no mention of Kikuta as composer, but his site is linked in the "creator" section of the site's link page whatever that's worth...

Edit: That sample is the theme piece which is explicitly credited to 和田貴史 (Takashi Wada?). No idea if he did the rest of the soundtrack as well as the theme piece is all they talk about music wise on the site.
Edit2: In the trailer Angel Note is credited for "BGM ・Arrangement", I'll suppose for now that includes composing as well. *shrugs

Last edited by datschge; Jan 25, 2007 at 06:27 PM.
Teioh
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 61

Level 21.10

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 06:29 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2007, 01:29 PM #21 of 77
In the creator section Takafumi Wada is credited as the composer.
Besides the main theme there isn't really a good tune in the game either, I guess that's why they did not release a soundtrack. Wada has worked on Shinshou Genmukan for Ciel before (another SP-Janis brand that also Kikuta composed for), but Genmukan was just a remake of the original game made by aias.
Shinshou Genmukan's music is a lot better than Oba no Shinshitsu, but they both sound nothing like Kikuta's music. I doubt he will return for SP-Janis.

Taisai
Amorph

Member 8563

Level 16.22

Jun 2006

Old Jan 27, 2007, 05:11 PM Local time: Jan 28, 2007, 07:41 AM #22 of 77
On his blog, Kikuta says he composed 13 tracks.

Now, 10 mp3 samples are available by extracting the swf file out of the official site (I can't play some files, though). 7th and 8th tracks are probably Kikuta's.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i1ki6w

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Taisai; Feb 2, 2007 at 10:37 PM.
seanne
²°°

Member 69

Level 35.40

Mar 2006

Old Feb 2, 2007, 06:55 PM Local time: Feb 3, 2007, 01:55 AM #23 of 77
If anyone wants to listen to the Tennin so Kitan track, here it is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/62mnu3

FELIPE NO
Mr. X
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 1902

Level 21.68

Mar 2006

Old Feb 3, 2007, 08:57 AM #24 of 77
All the latest posts here have been very interesting and helpful to me. Good to know about those H-games suspected to be composed by him. Also, I find it promising that MP3 samples are included on the main site; maybe, just maybe, we will get a soundtrack release.

Thanks so much for the rip, Seanne. It brings back memories of Secret of Mana + for me. Love the track.

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Feb 4, 2007, 03:40 AM #25 of 77
To be honest, I'm not sure that a collaboration between Ito and Kikuta is ideal. Neither is particularly renowned for aggressively paced melodies. The final result may indeed feel one-dimensional if neither feels comfortable venturing outside their norm.

Kikuta's ambient work is excellent. Ito's piano work is skilled, although often veering on the bland side of sound. On paper, it seems like an ideal pairing but, in execution, I wonder if their low-key styles will complement each other or compete for the same musical space. Where subtle background music is concerned, their collaborations may work. But where more forceful, energized music is necessary, I am hesitant to think that the partnership may be lacking. I'm sure they can come up with something but aggression is neither's forte and I almost worry that such music would sound forced.

Had Kikuta been paired with someone whose ouevre is similar but contains a little more...oomph...say, Tenpei Sato, Ken Nakagawa or Motoi Sakuraba, then I'd be thrilled at the news. For now, it's just an interesting pairing whose efforts feel more like an experiment than a true fellowship, to me.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [News] Hiroki Kikuta - New Projects