Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 63 Voting/WEEK 64 Nominating

Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 08:52 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 07:52 PM #51 of 85
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
Finally, Soule's arrangement of "Tina" has far less originality. To add to that, there has already been tons of exposure to it at OCR, here, and other places.
O RLY? When did it get exposure here? And even if it did way back when it was released, that's no guarantee that the current voters have ever heard it. It wouldn't matter if the track were absolutely legendary at OCR (as I'm sure MintJam has its own raving fanclub somewhere as well), it only has to be fairly unknown to the SotW community.

I think a combined poll for the Soule and MintJam tracks is in order. Remember that the source game, source tune, source composer, and arranger are all completely irrelevant as far as elegibility is concerned. The only issue at hand is whether the voters have heard these particular arrangements before.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"Castitatis" (Elfen Lied - Lilium ~opening version~)
The Doujin Music Thread | backloggery
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 22, 2006, 09:03 PM #52 of 85
Three pages and a minimal amount of votes. I don't think this was the purpose of SotW, to endlessly bicker minutae about eligibility.

Make some polls and end this already.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:06 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 10:06 PM #53 of 85
Before I get to my main point, I first need to say that I don't think Squaresoft Variation should be eligible. I believe Dhsu underestimates the amount of people here familiar with OCR, and that SV is one of the highest profile mixes on OCR and doesn't need particularly more exposure.

Now that that's out of the way...

Originally Posted by Dhsu
I think a combined poll for the Soule and MintJam tracks is in order.
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
Make some polls and end this already.
I'm not going to make polls for the MintJam and Soule tracks right now because, surveying the thread:

MintJam
in favor: 5 (CHz, Dr. Uzuki, GoldfishX, Elorin, Crash Landon)
opposed: 1 (Dhsu)

Soule
in favor: 1 (Dhsu)
opposed: 3 (Kaleb.G, orion_mk3, CHz)

Loudness does not indicate the extent of an opinion. I currently have no reason to believe anyone other than Dhsu feels the way he does about the eligibility of these two tracks, and thus do not feel a poll is necessary. If other people step forward and think MintJam shouldn't be here or Soule should, then we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. But right now, the only thing I see as being poll-worthy is the Chocobo's Happy Christmas precedent, and I will make a poll and thread for further discussion some time soon.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:12 AM #54 of 85
I don't want to prolong the argument and open up another door of technicalities, but this just occured to me.

In the original conception of SotW, it was asked whether "fan-arrangements" would be allowed. With persuasive arguing from me the answer was no: OCR, VGMix and whatever else already had a forum in which these tracks got special recognition.

On one hand, Soule's arrangement doesn't exactly fit the typical idea of fan-arrangement cause he's professional. Fine. On the other hand, it's the very essence of the idea. More importantly, the whole point was we wouldn't poach from OCR, which is what Dhsu is exactly doing in this instance.

Those are my two cents.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:30 AM #55 of 85
But it does stand that Soule is a professional and all works by professionals - personal projects or not - are acceptable. The nature of the melody, that of a very recognized source, is what I find questionable.

I'll say right now that I lean toward opposing the Soule track, if only for its high profile on OCR. If it were a buried treasure, I'd be more willing to accept it. This is not the case, however.

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 12:47 AM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 09:47 PM #56 of 85
O RLY? When did it get exposure here?
It had a whole thread dedicated to it before the last crash. In fact, I believe it was I who started it.

Furthermore, OCR was not the only place Soule passed the track onto. He took it to some Square-related websites as well. Could have been several sites.

Also:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22sq...en-US:official

Compare the number of results to something like my nominaton:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search

Given, that's one unpublished arrangement versus an entire album.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Jun 23, 2006 at 12:52 AM.
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:26 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 01:26 AM #57 of 85
Okay, regarding the concern that I'm circumventing a rule that was intended to prevent "poaching" from OCR, does not the VERY SAME RULE ban doujins? Is not CHz doing exactly the same thing I am, trying to weasel in what is essentially a fan-arrangement via the "professional" loophole?

To be honest, I have absolutely no problem with SV being rejected, nor am I at all "opposed" to MintJam being accepted. However, if BOTH these situations occur, there is a discrepancy somewhere. As of now, the oppositions to the SV nom seem to be kneejerk reactions and appeals to the HEART OF THE CARDSCONTEST rather than an adherence to established precedent (again, the notoriety of the source tune and arranger should have no bearing on eligibility). All I'm trying to do is get some clarification on the guidelines, and then see that they are enforced accordingly and consistently.

Edit:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...nt&btnG=Search

1080 results, over SV's 772. Also, like I said, having had exposure back then is no guarantee that any of the current voters have heard it. I'm sure the Seiken Densetsu Sound Collections had its share of exposure when it was released as well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 23, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:35 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 12:35 AM #58 of 85
As of now, the oppositions to the SV nom seem to be kneejerk reactions and appeals to the HEART OF THE CARDSCONTEST rather than an adherence to established precedent (again, the notoriety of the source tune and arranger should have no bearing on eligibility)..
Originally Posted by CHz
Before I get to my main point, I first need to say that I don't think Squaresoft Variation should be eligible. I believe Dhsu underestimates the amount of people here familiar with OCR, and that SV is one of the highest profile mixes on OCR and doesn't need particularly more exposure.
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
I'll say right now that I lean toward opposing the Soule track, if only for its high profile on OCR. If it were a buried treasure, I'd be more willing to accept it. This is not the case, however.
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
It had a whole thread dedicated to it before the last crash. In fact, I believe it was I who started it.

Furthermore, OCR was not the only place Soule passed the track onto. He took it to some Square-related websites as well. Could have been several sites.

Also:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22sq...en-US:official

Compare the number of results to something like my nominaton:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...22&btnG=Search

Given, that's one unpublished arrangement versus an entire album.
Okay.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Dhsu
`D`

Member 2206

Level 27.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 02:47 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 01:47 AM #59 of 85
Those amount to "Well it was popular at OCR," which shouldn't matter because this a GFF/STC contest; and "It was popular back then," which I addressed in my edit.

Last edited by Dhsu; Jun 23, 2006 at 02:50 AM.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:11 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 01:11 AM #60 of 85
Quote:
All I'm trying to do is get some clarification on the guidelines, and then see that they are enforced accordingly and consistently.
They won't be to that rigorous of an extent. You may be taking Song of the Week too seriously.

The event does have an intent to shine a spotlight on little known works. Whether or not every single nomination out of the gates hits that mark is nothing to get so passionate about, enough so to keep pounding away at the point. When making nominations for the implicit purpose of seeing how far the limits can be stretched, you cannot be so surprised and argumentative about them when they get shot down no matter how many clauses you have to cite.

Once again, questionable material will be dealt with on a case by case basis. The majority's opinion is what will count. If you disagree, be a good loser about it. I wasn't in favor of Suikoden but once the issue was settled, you didn't see me continue to try and force my views on everyone.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:14 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 02:14 AM #61 of 85
Chocobo's Happy Christmas precedent debate and voting can take place in this thread.

Double Post:
http://www.google.com/search?q=%223rd+gig+crescent%22

Let's not use Google. We can use quotes and phrasing to prove pretty much whatever we want

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Jun 23, 2006 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 04:52 AM #62 of 85
I am not sure about most people have heard SV... the only ones which voiced their opinion so far were Crash, CHz and Kaleb from which I know they are familiar with OCRemix. I know SV and was actually the one who introduce orion to this song, so he knows it as well, thus probably the opposition.

Personally, I won't oppose to SV though (not that Dhsu was being serious with that nomination), as it's a good song enough to get exposure else where as well, if it gets placed. The whole point about SOTW is also that you posted the winners and runner ups for display on the SOTW main site, and I don't believe anyone who stumbles upon this will automatically know everything about OCRemix. It's not like SV is owned by OCRemix, Soule did it for the fans and he wants this track to have as much exposure as possible, it's mere coincidence that he posted it first at OCRemix.

Also I believe the exposure to OCRemix is way overrated. Everyone claims any SOTW participants knows about this remix site. Fact is only a few people really talk about it here, if others don't talk, I don't know whether they don't know or they don't care, or they simply don't want to talk. Also, it's not like OCRemix displayed SV as their flag track, because it wasn't what OCRemix is about in the first place. So if you stumble across this track it's rather by chance or by discussions like this.

To sum up, my opinion is that SV isn't as popular. Even though I know about it, I think it's good enough to get more attention.

As for the MintJam track, I am fine with this.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 08:08 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 01:08 PM #63 of 85
My objection to the SV track comes completely due to the unobscurity of the arrangement, rather than the source material. We did have a virt arrangement from VGMix nominated by Liontamer a while ago which I had reservations about letting in, but didn't really mention. That nomination can be justified better than the Soule nomination in my mind, due to the Soule nomination being made such a big deal throughout the remixing community as well as, I believe, the general VGM community.

Most amazing jew boots
Lolman
Syklis Green

Member 279

Level 8.62

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 10:15 AM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 06:15 PM #64 of 85
Here's my nomination:

FM Sound Module Maniax <Yu Miyake> - [11] triple VOPM

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 01:29 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 08:29 PM #65 of 85
Decent week, nothing very inspired.

(3 points) Dune Spice Opera - Exxos - Revelation
It's curious, "Wake Up" never did never anything for me and this nomination being of the same style has managed to enthral me. It's very similar to chill-out music, and the organic touches are pretty good. Electronica work is great.

(1 point) CRISS CROSS ~ CROSS CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves
The beginning is deceitful, I thought that was a rockish tune. Nevertheless, the synth leading the melody is equally good. Some strange transitions are my only complaint.

(1 point) REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto
More synthy action. The melody is quite catchy but the motif is excessively repeated with little variations. Just more melodic progression.

(1 point) Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean
It has the same flaw that the previous track, a melodic line is repeated one and other time again and again. The instrumentation is great and helps to recreate the atmosphere. Brilliant atmospheric music.

The rest of nominations are bland. And my next nomination will come later.

Last edited by isdapi; Jun 24, 2006 at 07:16 AM.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 05:39 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 11:39 PM #66 of 85
Here we go with the point spreading:

(2 points) CRISS CROSS ~ CROSS CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves
(1 point) Transformation - Mahou Shoujo Ai 2 Full Arrange Album - title arrange 'difference for you
(3 points) Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

And my next nom:

Game: Air Zonk
Composer: Red & Hudson Soft
Title: Punk Cyborg Battle 1
Track: 15 from Disc 3, in Yummyfishman's server's gamerip compilation of Bonk's adventures

I'll upload it in a few minutes

Most amazing jew boots
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:53 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 04:53 PM #67 of 85
Originally Posted by Shaolin Samurai
Hope this isn't too well known...

Album: Dynasty Warriors 4 Original Soundtrack
Title: Eve
Track Number: 18
Composer: ???
Catalog No.: KECH-1233
Year: 2003
Source: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=KECH-1233
Whoa, just noticed this nomination now.

Shin Sangokumusou 3 is perfectly fine by my estimation; in fact, I was planning to nominate a track from it some time down the road. It's a great album; nice pick.

Eve was composed by Yasuhiro Misawa, by the way; check the GMR entry for the album for a full composer breakdown.

Also, as a result of the Suikoden poll, KyleDunamis's nomination will stand.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 06:56 PM #68 of 85
Originally Posted by Djinova
Also I believe the exposure to OCRemix is way overrated. Everyone claims any SOTW participants knows about this remix site. Fact is only a few people really talk about it here, if others don't talk, I don't know whether they don't know or they don't care, or they simply don't want to talk.
I'm taking your quote out of context for my own personal amusement, but maybe all the people not mentioning OCR are pro-techno or anti-techno. It really could be either one, depending on who you talk to.

In any case, OCR's deep, creative selection, specifically material in the past 2 1/2 years is better than any professional arrangement album or set of arrangement albums. I stand by that statement.

Dragon God
Tarantulas FTW

Member 1948

Level 14.75

Mar 2006

Old Jun 23, 2006, 07:34 PM Local time: Jun 23, 2006, 09:34 PM #69 of 85
Next nomination:

Album: Namco Game Sound Express Vol. 10 - Cyber Sled
Title: Be warped time
Track Number: 6
Composer: Shinji Hosoe
Catalog No.: VICL-15024
Year: 1994
Source: http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtrack...log=VICL-15024

Go old-school Techno-Rock Hosoe !!!

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:31 AM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 02:31 AM #70 of 85
This week, while decent, has nothing I particularly find myself cheering for. Half the field I like about equally, which presents a problem when it comes to point distribution. Not sure whether I should shaft one track to give three twos or rank two higher than the others. Hmmmm. I'm really torn here.

2 points - CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves
2 points - REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto
2 points - Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

Couldn't be more apologetic - Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE]

With no segue to speak of, here is some SMS chiptune for you all.

Nomination:

Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap
Title: The Last Dungeon
Track Number: NA/ .vgz file
Composer: Shinichi Sakamoto
Year: 1989

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader

Last edited by Dr. Uzuki; Sep 21, 2007 at 06:28 AM.
Cyan_Ide
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4533

Level 1.86

Apr 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 01:20 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 12:20 PM #71 of 85
2 points - CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves

2 points - Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean

1 point - TimeSplitters (Game Rip) - 1970 Chinese

1 point - REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto

Most amazing jew boots
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 05:04 PM Local time: Jun 25, 2006, 12:04 AM #72 of 85
My last "ace in the sleeve".

Artist(s): Michio Fujisawa (arrangement)
Composer(s): Falcom Sound Team JDK
Album: Falcom Special Box '90
Track Title: A Fast Flight to You
Disc Number: 3 (4 discs)
Track Number: 4
Catalog Number: 169A-7717~20
Year: 1989
Source(s): http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/falcomsb90/index.html

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 07:25 PM #73 of 85
Quote:
I realize this is a technicality, but I think it can be argued that ANY Square(-Enix) game has had a reasonable amount of exposure already and should be automatically disqualified.
I disagree, I'm actually considering nominating a song from Radiata Stories (Unsure which one yet.) That soundtrack certainly isn't that popular, and I would sare say that it's UN-popular since many people were disappointed by it, and many never gave it a chance upon hearing about that.

Besides, would something like Portopia or World Runner be considered too popular?

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 08:08 PM #74 of 85
I don't think you'll run into any problems with Radiata Stories, Portopia or World Runner nominations.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Jun 24, 2006, 10:23 PM Local time: Jun 24, 2006, 09:23 PM #75 of 85
CRISS†CROSS ~ CROSS†CHANNEL Soundtrack Arrange Version - Airwaves
Fun, and catchy. Solid track... Not much else to say, but it's pretty good.

Dune Spice Opera - Exxos - Revelation
Very, very nice. I love the ambience and beauty of this track. On par with Wake Up, probably (though I haven't listened to that one for a while now).

Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE]
Pretty darn hip, and fun to listen to. I was almost expecting something epic like AWAKENING ~Nuerburgring Suite~, but was pleasantly surprised with this fun and catchy tune.

MechWarrior 2: 31st Century Combat (Red Book Audio) - Track 08
Eh, probably one of the weaker tracks this week.. But it's certainly not a bad one. Just lacks some necessary "oomph" to get points this week. D:

REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto
Awesome. ;D This one's pretty addictive, and I definitely enjoy the melody as well. Like Scrambled Egg Zone from a couple of weeks ago, it grabs my attention and doesn't let go.

TimeSplitters (Game Rip) - 1970 Chinese
This is decent. The melody is easy to get into, but it fails to appeal to me over some other tracks this week.

Transformation - Mahou Shoujo Ai 2 Full Arrange Album - title arrange "difference for you"
This reminds me of the Shanghai Alice games' music (Perfect Cherry Blossom, Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, etc), especially in the beginning. Definitely cool, but a little bit repetitive for me.

Uncharted Waters Online (Game Rip) - South african ocean
Good stuff. The African theme on this track works pretty well. This one didn't stand out much at first, but it developed into something really enjoyable after a few more listens.

3 Points ~ Enthusia Professional Racing Original Soundtrack - Running To Horizon [OCEAN BRIDGE]
2 Points ~ Dune Spice Opera - Exxos - Revelation
1 Point ~ REMASTERED TRACKS ROCKMAN ZERO Physis - Esperanto

Next Nomination:

Artist(s): Minako Hamano & Norio Hanzawa
Album: Wario World (Gamecube Game Rip)
Track Title: Excitement Central - Greenhorn Forest
Disc Number: only one
Track Number: 5
Catalog Number: none
Year: 2003
Source(s): The tags in the mp3s that were acquired from Treasure Fanpage. Also: http://www.mrmonkeyman.com/treasure/ost/warioworld.txt

As far as the raging nomination debate goes, I personally never knew about Squaresoft Variation until reading about in this thread, or even that Jeremy Soule had arranged music from FFVI. D: But I'm hardly in tune with popular Squaresoft music and popular arrangements of said music, so that's probably why. Even so, I don't know if I'd support the nomination by Jeremy Soule. I can really understand both points of view here. :\
Never visited OCR much either; I tend to prefer VGMix, for some reason.

In fact, I was more familiar with MintJam's 3rd GIG #Crescent. I've listened to their first two GIG albums, and was planning to grab the third sometime in the near future. Basically, I'd heard of it, which is more than I can say for SV.

Last edited by Kanji; Jun 24, 2006 at 11:43 PM. Reason: added some missing info for my next nomination

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 63 Voting/WEEK 64 Nominating