Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 128 Voting/WEEK 129 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2008, 12:52 PM #1 of 38
Song of the Week - WEEK 128 Voting/WEEK 129 Nominating

Song of the Week. 125 Weeks and counting.
Week 128 Voting is closed.
Week 129 Nominating is open

Results
1). [35] THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)
2). [21] Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's
3). [18] Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi Arrange Sound Trax - Vicissitudes
4). [14] GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1
5). [12] The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon
6). [11] DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe
7). [9] Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)
8). [6] Golden Axe III (Game Rip) - Bloody Street

Tracks
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi Arrange Sound Trax - Vicissitudes
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Golden Axe III (Game Rip) - Bloody Street
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 129 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by orion_mk3; Apr 21, 2008 at 11:13 AM.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 14, 2008, 09:34 PM #2 of 38
I'll start off with a nomination (Herrkotowski from STC)

Artist: Manabu Namiki
Album: Death Smiles Game Rip
Track Title: Halloween Town Stage
Year: 2007
Download: Send big files the easy way. Files too large for email attachments? No problem!
Source: Dragon God gave it to me. It was apparently ripped from the arcade machine itself.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by ZiggyGo; Apr 15, 2008 at 12:15 AM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:07 PM #3 of 38
Begin nomination chain now.

Artist: Motoi Sakuraba
Album: Forest of Glass
Track Title: Fly!
Year: 2008
Source: #gamemp3's

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 14, 2008, 10:15 PM #4 of 38
Haha. Man, I foresee a few strong weeks ahead...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:26 PM #5 of 38
You broke the chain! I was hoping we could get at least a 3x multiplier on there. If you get 5x, a little-known SotW clause gives instant victory that week

I was speaking idiomatically.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:30 PM #6 of 38
I'm so sorry. Where can we get a person to fix chains at this time of day?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2008, 11:57 PM Local time: Apr 14, 2008, 09:57 PM #7 of 38
I'll start off with a nomination (Herrkotowski from STC)
Sorry I didn't get around to your PM about this (BUSY BUSY BUSY WHEN WILL IT END), but that track should be fine. Game came out in 2007, also.

FELIPE NO
Undertale (PC, 2015)
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:17 AM #8 of 38
I'll probably be migrating from STC to here for participation so you can just make this nomination from ZiggyGo since that's how I'll be participating from now on.

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 02:04 AM #9 of 38
After my own extensive scouring of the internet, I've been unable to find sufficient record of Ryo Watanabe's composing credits beyond a few albums in which his efforts are dubious at best. Though he's part of the Namco stable, and they don't always list individual credits, it's not enough to go on.

Therefore, I withdraw my Nanosweep.2 nomination. Instead, I'll just give it up for free to whoever wants to hear it, since it's still a pretty cool song and it's otherwise ineligible for just about every contest on GFF.

Nanosweep.2 - Dazzling Rays

I will now nominate the following:

Album: Genso Suikoden V Limited Edition Music CD
Composers: Naoyuki Sato
Track Title: Admiral of the Seas
Track Number: 4
Year: 2006

Originally Posted by orion_mk3
Begin nomination chain now.

Artist: Motoi Sakuraba
Album: Forest of Glass
Track Title: Fly!
Year: 2008
Source: #gamemp3's
2008? Since this year's all of four months in, I have to question whether this nomination has exceeded the waiting period or if it's somehow exempt.

How ya doing, buddy?
punkmaggit
Oh! I Feel it! I feel the Cosmos!

Member 4088

Level 9.55

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:05 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2008, 07:05 AM #10 of 38
2008? Since this year's all of four months in, I have to question whether this nomination has exceeded the waiting period or if it's somehow exempt.
I was thinking the exact same thing.

What's all this?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:33 AM #11 of 38
It was released on January 23; by the time it hits voting just about three months will have passed. And I don't think the album is about to become super-popular, either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 10:45 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2008, 05:45 PM #12 of 38
Having been posted on #gamemp3s as well--and composed by someone who hardly needs more exposure.

EDIT: Is the waiting period 3 or 6 months now?

I like that Nanosweep.2 track. It seems to have an issue though, it only plays about 3 minutes... Maybe my download screwed up. Nope, still won't work.

EDIT2: From below:
Quote:
I hardly consider Suikoden music obscure vgm that people need to be made aware of, and there have been 3 Suikoden V songs in BSCs, one of which got to the finals of the entire contest. What does everyone else think?
All I know is Suikoden 1. If it's anything like that however, it should be disqualified for being too good.

Last edited by surasshu; Apr 15, 2008 at 12:09 PM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 11:51 AM #13 of 38
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
I will now nominate the following:

Album: Genso Suikoden V Limited Edition Music CD
Composers: Naoyuki Sato
Track Title: Admiral of the Seas
Track Number: 4
I hardly consider Suikoden music obscure vgm that people need to be made aware of, and there have been 3 Suikoden V songs in BSCs, one of which got to the finals of the entire contest. What does everyone else think?

Nom:

Album: Cold Winter Original Game Music Score
Artist: Mark Willot
Track Title: Helicopter Attack
Track #: 5
Source: VGMDB

Track is very subject to change, as there are a lot of tracks I like from this score (also strongly considering "Cold Winter Front End"). Really neat style of music.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Apr 15, 2008 at 11:57 AM.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Apr 15, 2008, 12:21 PM #14 of 38
(3 points) THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)
(2 points) GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1
(1 point) Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)

How ya doing, buddy?
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 05:11 PM #15 of 38
I recall that people generally objected to only Genso Suikoden 1 & 2 tracks being nominated, as those games fetch premium prices on Ebay and are pretty well known in general. The later entries in the series have maintained more of a "niche" status, only being pursued by hardcore fans of the canon.

I don't really keep close tabs on what's been in the BSC and what hasn't, or how many companion tracks have seen entry. I'd go insane if I tried. My nominations are never based upon obscurity anyhow; I aim for overall quality. The "BSC" argument has never sat too well with me, as that's a different bird. Me, I'd be totally cool with allowing tracks from previous BSCs into SotW because an early elimination does not indicate poor quality, nor does it indicate popularity by any means.

I would also like to point out that this nomination is from the Limited Edition Music CD and does not appear on the Suikoden V OST. I think this raises it into very reasonable eligibility.

Originally Posted by surrashu
I like that Nanosweep.2 track. It seems to have an issue though, it only plays about 3 minutes... Maybe my download screwed up. Nope, still won't work.
It might have been cut off somehow. No matter, I've re-uploaded the track and it downloads in its full entirity now.

FELIPE NO
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2008, 09:15 PM #16 of 38
I recall that people generally objected to only Genso Suikoden 1 & 2 tracks being nominated, as those games fetch premium prices on Ebay and are pretty well known in general. The later entries in the series have maintained more of a "niche" status, only being pursued by hardcore fans of the canon.
The latter games may not be as popular, but what mostly matters is how well-known the music is. And among vgm fans, Genso Suikoden music is not obscure.

Quote:
I don't really keep close tabs on what's been in the BSC and what hasn't, or how many companion tracks have seen entry. I'd go insane if I tried. My nominations are never based upon obscurity anyhow; I aim for overall quality. The "BSC" argument has never sat too well with me, as that's a different bird. Me, I'd be totally cool with allowing tracks from previous BSCs into SotW because an early elimination does not indicate poor quality, nor does it indicate popularity by any means.
Regardless of your leanings, BSC has to factor into this, since a lot of the SotW voters take part in BSC and will have heard the BSC songs. Three Suikoden V songs appearing in the last few BSCs (with one song making it to the championship match) means Suikoden V music has to be considered at least somewhat known around here. Also, you may not nominate based on obscurity, but that's the key factor in this event (promoting quality obscure/lesser known game music).

Quote:
I would also like to point out that this nomination is from the Limited Edition Music CD and does not appear on the Suikoden V OST. I think this raises it into very reasonable eligibility.
VGMDB says the LE Music CD contains arrangements of Suikoden V songs, so that certainly changes things. I guess I'd be more keen on giving it a yay vote now that I know about that, but my points still stand for regular Suikoden V music (and the Suikoden series in general).

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Apr 15, 2008 at 09:19 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2008, 02:43 PM Local time: Apr 16, 2008, 11:43 AM #17 of 38
3 points » GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1
Reminds me of FFTactics without being derivative like some of Sakimoto's newer works can be.

2 points » THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)
Namiki is great. What else needs to be said?

1 point » DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe
Not bad, but too sparse of a track for me to consider it SotW material. Unfortunately, nothing else this week interested me as much.

Additional Spam:
Nomination:
=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: Waku Waku 7
* Artist: Masato Araikawa
* Track Title: Fight! Super Adventure Boy Rai (Rai Stage)
* Source: #gamemp3s, VGMdb
* File Location: NOM NOM folder (uploading now)
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 5
* Catalogue Number: PCCB-00215
* Year: 1996

Additional Spam:
Hey, I don't know how the hell this happened, but I'm missing the SotW nominations from weeks 0094~0099. Can someone upload them for me, please?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Apr 16, 2008 at 03:01 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2008, 06:44 PM #18 of 38
Like The proverbial River Canyon, this field is deep, but none really rise above the rest.

(2 points) GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1
(1 point) Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)
(1 point) The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon
(1 point) THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)
(1 point) Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's

Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Apr 17, 2008, 05:43 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2008, 12:43 PM #19 of 38
Another outstanding week. Too many good tunes, I don't even know how to assign points. Going for the underdogs this time then.

2 points: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe
2 points: The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon
1 point: Golden Axe III (Game Rip) - Bloody Street
1 point: Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)

Hey, I don't know how the hell this happened, but I'm missing the SotW nominations from weeks 0094~0099. Can someone upload them for me, please?
Yeah, I have them somewhere. Does hotlinkfiles.com work fine for you? Or do you have other suggestions?

Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 06:58 AM #20 of 38
Uncompromised voting in a close week.

2 Points -> Vicissitudes
2 Points -> Eggs Of The Universe
2 Points -> Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 12:08 PM Local time: Apr 18, 2008, 09:08 AM #21 of 38
Yeah, I have them somewhere. Does hotlinkfiles.com work fine for you? Or do you have other suggestions?
I don't know if I've ever tried that site, but I could give it a shot. Thank you!

Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:23 PM #22 of 38
Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi Arrange Sound Trax - Vicissitudes

At first it didn't feel like much, but then it grew on me with further listens. There's an undeniable beauty to "Vicissitudes" and although it did not make my life turn around, it was pleasant. Some instruments (notably the strings) sounded a bit too synthetic, but noticing it was created in 1998 and not being terrible, it's more than tolerable.

DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe

Good electronic background music to set an atmosphere. Not much else to it.

Golden Axe III (Game Rip) - Bloody Street

An above-average chiptune that has a driving beat and interesting melodies. I particularly enjoyed the crystalline synth. However, it felt like I had already heard this tune before, although it never crossed my playlist in the past.

GunViper (Game Rip) - Stage1

It indeed sound very much like FFT music. As much as this is a good thing, it unfortunately did not share the magic of the tracks I enjoy from that game. In the end, it had potential with its sound, yet did not amaze me with its composition.

Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's

A warm jazz piece, and quirky too! Very good vibe and performance, yet I find it's a little too diffuse and lacking a centralizing melody to be highly memorable. Still one of the strongest nominations this week though.

Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)

80's POWER!!! As much as there's a retro side to my musical heart, this tune was short, plain, and uninspiring in my honorable opinion. I expected a strong melodic lead at one point, as this is what old Japanese VGM is usualy recognized for, but it did not come. Oh well, there's worse... but I've heard far better. Sorry, but thanks for having given me the opportunity to be exposed to it.

The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon

This is a beautiful performance, creating a quite soothing new age ambiance. There are times when I feel like listening to this kind of material, yet I'm usually rather in the mood of more dynamic music.

THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)

Yay for jumpy, highly dynamic retro-ish shmup music! "Fly to the Leaden Sky" is neat, yet not the best SotW entry ever as far as I'm concerned.

--------------------

(3 points) Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi Arrange Sound Trax - Vicissitudes
(2 points) Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's
(1 point) THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Rimo; Apr 18, 2008 at 01:26 PM.
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Apr 18, 2008, 01:55 PM #23 of 38
Originally Posted by Rimo;596459
[B
Telenet Game Music Collection Vol. 1 - THE FANTASM SOLDIER VALIS (Opening)[/B]

80's POWER!!! As much as there's a retro side to my musical heart, this tune was short, plain, and uninspiring in my honorable opinion. I expected a strong melodic lead at one point, as this is what old Japanese VGM is usualy recognized for, but it did not come. Oh well, there's worse... but I've heard far better. Sorry, but thanks for having given me the opportunity to be exposed to it.
You're welcome! I don't expect everyone to like the music I nominate. There are some other ones I could have chosen from that CD, but I have a few older nominations in the pipeline.

FELIPE NO
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 18, 2008, 10:42 PM #24 of 38
2 Points: The Dig Soundtrack - A River Canyon
1 Point: Bakumatsu Roman Gekka no Kenshi Arrange Sound Trax - Vicissitudes
1 Point: Sam & Max Season One Soundtrack - Bosco's
1 Point: THE MADNESS BATTLE GAREGGA PERFECT SOUNDTRACK - Fly to the Leaden Sky (Stage1 - Valley)
1 Point: DIGITAL DEVIL SAGA ~Avatar Tuner~ 1 & 2 Original Sound Track Integral - Egg Of The Universe

Nothing absolutely leaped out at me this week, but there was a wide range of style. So it's a gunshot spread for me. An okay week.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Apr 19, 2008, 01:43 PM #25 of 38
Here's my next nomination:

Artist: Frank Klepacki
Game: Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate
Track Title: Zanthia's Funky Swamp
Year: 1993
Note: Arranged version taken from Klepacki's website.

I'll upload it to the SotW server.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 128 Voting/WEEK 129 Nominating