Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 78 Voting/WEEK 79 Nominating

Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 03:14 PM #51 of 83
Originally Posted by isdapi
NOMINATION

Artist: Midori
Album: Royal Blood
Track Title: Flame
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 5
Catalog: KECH-1015
Year: 1991
Source: http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?CatNumber=KECH-1015

It is being uploaded while I'm typing this line.
Oh, AWESOME. That's a quality album. I've been keeping one or two tracks in mind for nominations myself. Not the one you picked, but that too is a good one.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vexxon
Domine Kira

Member 13809

Level 4.85

Oct 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 05:51 PM Local time: Dec 2, 2006, 04:51 PM #52 of 83
Nomination

Artist: Tim Follin, Geoff Follin
Album: Plok!
Track Title: Main Theme
Track Number: 1
Year: 1993
Source: http://snesmusic.org/v2/profile.php?...&selected=2032

I know that Tim Follin gets a decent amount of attention on this site, but I have no idea how well Plok has been represented...

Also, would a track from any of the three donkey kong countries clear eligibillity standards?

Most amazing jew boots
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 07:33 PM #53 of 83
Plok's gotten some attention, but I'm not sure how many people have actually heard its music. I've only "skimmed through" a few songs, so I'm not familiar with it.

DKC would be too popular, imo. Everyone knows that's quality music. I suppose 2 & 3 are less known, but still.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 10:18 PM #54 of 83
Originally Posted by Vexxon
I know that Tim Follin gets a decent amount of attention on this site, but I have no idea how well Plok has been represented...
We did have Follin Week a few months ago, if that tells you anything. I recall seeing one or two Plok songs in SoTW before. Still, I don't think anyone would call it "too popular."

Originally Posted by Vexxon
Also, would a track from any of the three donkey kong countries clear eligibillity standards?
Probably not eligible. Those tracks always show up and do well in the BSC (much to my befuddlement, since I'm not that fond of them).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:13 PM #55 of 83
I'm not 100% positive, but I think the title theme to Plok! was nominated a long while back. Three or four tracks have been nominated, but none have placed.

However, it's probably been long enough that Plok! is eligible for renomination by now. So, that one should stand.

DKC tracks are borderline. They're not super popular, but still not really obscure either. I'm not sure where I stand on their eligibility.

FELIPE NO
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 2, 2006, 11:22 PM #56 of 83
Just remember I predicted a Planet She win upon its nomination.

(3 points) Stella Deus ReArrange: Planet She - And for the last time I will also plug Sky Ray from the same album, a superior track in its own right. As for Planet She, I loved the piano ever since I heard the track.

No comments for the rest.

(2 points) Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died

(1 point) Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)

Edit: Here comes a nomination (though admittedly I've been scraping with my most recent noms, it's tempered by the knowledge that so few nominators make my spring to action a necessity).

Album: Capcom vs. SNK
Track Title: Bonus Track 2
Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
Track Number: 32
Catalog: CPCA-1045
Year: 2000

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Chuckster; Dec 2, 2006 at 11:55 PM.
TCK
I am the horseman

Member 230

Level 11.26

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:08 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 12:08 PM #57 of 83
Just for the record, DKC tracks have been refused before (Mining Melancholy from DKC2 to be precise). DKC3 might get away with it, and tracks exclusive to the GBA ports of the games are probably fair game too, but generally DKC is too popular.

*climbs back into hole*

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:01 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 10:01 PM #58 of 83
TCK, you're back! I think... How have you been?

In any case, I think the first two DKC soundtracks should be off-limits. As for Plok, no issues with the game being nominated but if "Main Theme" has been nominated before, I'd rather see a different track being nominated but no strong objections if it gets nominated again.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I think therefore I am... I think.

Last edited by Elorin; Dec 3, 2006 at 09:20 AM.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:03 AM #59 of 83
My nomination isn't in the queue. Is that because it didn't qualify? If so, let me know so I can change my nomination.

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 09:32 AM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 10:32 PM #60 of 83
I think your nomination is clear, Manny. I've added it to the queue in any case. Unless someone has very strong reason to not want to have the SaGa track in.

As for Vexxon's track, I just downloaded the SPC set. I don't think I've heard it before on SotW. I'm ok with it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 12:03 PM #61 of 83
My little contribution for next week:

Album: Genso Sangokushi II Original Sound Track
Track: 14
Title: Tong Guan Waterway: Rain on the Mountain
Composition: UserJoy Technology Co.,Ltd
Year: 2006
Catalog Number: GS2-OST
Source: http://www.gmronline.com/info.asp?CatNumber=GS2-OST
Link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZYI5O7RN

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 01:28 PM #62 of 83
Please leave this open. I'll be back before 5 PM EST with points in hand.

Shaolin Samurai
Top Tier

Member 2005

Level 12.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 01:49 PM #63 of 83
My nom isn't in the queue either. Or is that standard procedure when someone doesn't nominate for a while and is removed from the cycle?

FELIPE NO
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 02:47 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 11:47 AM #64 of 83
I honestly have little time for comments, unfortunately, but let it be known that I enjoyed this week a good deal.

3 point(s) :: Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died
My nom. The main melody hits my sweet spot, and also reminds me of Flash Man's theme from MM2. I actually like the guitar's melody in some sections, though there is a good amount of "noodling". Nevertheless, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and it breaks up the sections of this track nicely. For those who want this track sans guitar interludes, check out the version on the Under Defeat -Sound Tracks- album.

1 point(s) :: Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)
I really like the melody, even though the body of the track seems like it could be more varied either in tone, tempo, or instrumentation. Anyway, this has been playing in my head almost the entire week.

1 point(s) :: Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
The main melody reminds me of something Matt Wilson (of Mega Man FM infamy) would compose. In other words, it's cool.

1 point(s) :: STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
A great track. This is piano work I can really get into. Also, the fact that this probably isn't even one of my favorite tracks from the album says a lot about said album's quality (i.e. it's awesome).

HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
I think this track is excellent. It would have gotten at least two points from me this week if it weren't for the fact that the HALO 2 OST Vol. 1 is one of the highest selling game albums ever released (at least in North America, if not worldwide). If people haven't listened to this album, that's their loss, since I'm sure they're all aware of it. I own the album myself, and I don't even like the Halo games.

Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
The first minute of this track is great, but afterwards it seems to do nothing new until the very end where it just tapers off. Still cool to listen to.

Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
The music is great, but the vocals/lyrics are a mixed bag for me. After a few listens, I ended up not caring for this track as much.

Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brother
Bored me like no other.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Dec 3, 2006 at 02:53 PM.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 03:46 PM #65 of 83
Originally Posted by Kaleb.G
HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
I think this track is excellent. It would have gotten at least two points from me this week if it weren't for the fact that the HALO 2 OST Vol. 1 is one of the highest selling game albums ever released (at least in North America, if not worldwide). If people haven't listened to this album, that's their loss, since I'm sure they're all aware of it. I own the album myself, and I don't even like the Halo games.
I guess I understand not giving points because you think it shouldn't be here, but c'mon now. If it got through, it got through, so you should treat it like all the other tracks. And as I explained - regardless of the OST's popularity, I'd venture that most people are not familiar with the Incubus tracks on the soundtrack. Most people either just listened to the Marty stuff or heard the Incubus tracks once while playing through the album for the first time, then didn't listen to them again.

Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:10 PM #66 of 83
3 points: Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
2 points: Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brother
1 point: Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died

I actually thought the Incubus track was disappointing after the first minute and a half or so. They had some cool sounds/ideas, then it just went into some bland instrumental stuff. There are several bands in the amateur game arrangement scene that could have done much better with the same material.

Last edited by Liontamer; Dec 3, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 04:34 PM #67 of 83
My nom isn't in the queue either.

Also, while I won't question the eligibility of Plok this time, I wil be watching the voting closely. If Plok seems to get alot of votes based on the fact that Follin composed it, I'll keep that in mind next time a Follin track is nominated.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 06:13 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 04:13 PM #68 of 83
The reason your noms aren't in the queue yet is just that I've been lazy.

They'll get in there soon, I promise.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 06:15 PM #69 of 83
Originally Posted by Shaolin Samurai
My nom isn't in the queue either. Or is that standard procedure when someone doesn't nominate for a while and is removed from the cycle?
Looks like you were accidentally removed when last week's nominees were purged. You're back in, though.
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
My nom isn't in the queue either.
Fixed.

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 06:22 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 04:22 PM #70 of 83
Very soon, in fact! =O

Double Post:
Regarding Plok!
We've had three noms from Plok!: the tracks named "Akrillic Beach" and "Sleepy Dale" from some game rip and "Plok's House" from the SNESmusic.org SPC set. None have placed, and I strongly encourage tracks be nominated from Plok! until one does.

Regarding DKC
I'd say the SNES versions of DKC1-3 should be off limits, but I'm fine with any original tracks that were written for the GBA ports, having not heard their rips. In fact, we HAVE had one of those in the past, Mill Fever from DKC3 GBA, which placed third in Week 44.

Double Post:
Voting is closed and nominations are restricted. Here are the depressing results because only three tracks were allowed to place:

1). [27] STELLA DEUS BGM ReArrange Album - Planet She
2). [19] Chaos Legion Original Soundtrack - I can hear the shriek (Stage ~Cave~)
3). [18] Under Defeat -Extended Tracks- - tears which died
4). [12] Mr. Bones Soundtrack - In This World
5). [11] Shin Megami Tensei Devil Children Perfect Sound Tracks - Unpublished Tune (Arrange Ver.)
6). [9] Republic - The Revolution Original Soundtrack - Blood Brothers
7). [8] HALO 2 Original Soundtrack and New Music Vol. 1 - 2nd Movement of the Odyssey
8). [4] Phalanx - The Enforce Fighter A-144 (SNES Game Rip) - Under Water (Stage 2)

Interesting tidbit: there was only one person who didn't give at least one point to Planet She this week, Liontamer. =O

Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Dec 3, 2006 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:12 PM #71 of 83
Yay! My second first-place finish ever.

FELIPE NO
Sceptre X
\usr\bin\sceptrex

Member 16350

Level 11.01

Dec 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:43 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 07:43 PM #72 of 83
Comment: Dude, this contest is awesome. Next week...

And I JUST got the Halo 2 soundtrack, and the Incubus tracks have yet to be listened to...they've got better on that CD. Hoobastank one, now, that one's good.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
It turns out that today is opposite day, so all of what you have said is true, so you should probably just go.
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 07:53 PM Local time: Dec 4, 2006, 01:53 AM #73 of 83
What? I thought that I had one day more to vote!

Anyway, I think that Phalanx deserved some more attention. It was amongst my favorites this week.

Sceptre X
\usr\bin\sceptrex

Member 16350

Level 11.01

Dec 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Dec 3, 2006, 08:26 PM #74 of 83
Might as well ask it now...is a Timesplitters song too popular?

(Sorry about the two posts)

It turns out that today is opposite day, so all of what you have said is true, so you should probably just go.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 3, 2006, 08:32 PM #75 of 83
Originally Posted by ikkei
What? I thought that I had one day more to vote!
Really? I mean, sometimes the thread goes up on Tuesday or voting isn't closed until late Sunday night, but we've been prett good about both recently.
Originally Posted by Sceptre X
Might as well ask it now...is a Timesplitters song too popular?
I do beleive that we've had some nominations from that series before, which would mean it was kosher. There were some in the BSC too, but they didn't do particularly well. So, my answer would be no, though you might hear something different from one of our other members.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Dec 3, 2006 at 09:36 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 78 Voting/WEEK 79 Nominating