Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2013: Heigh-ho it's off to Vote we go
Closed Thread

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2013, 06:11 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2013, 11:11 AM 4 #1 of 32
The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2013: Heigh-ho it's off to Vote we go

The Gamingforce Game of the Year, back by demand (maybe? I honestly don't know any more), is forcing its way back into our lives once again. So yes, it's the end of another year and the new one is waiting on our doorsteps ready to happen; and so for a handful of people at GFF who read this it is the time to look back at the year that was 2013 and the games we played. As ever the real question is what does Gamingforce consider the best of 2013? No gimmicks this year to try and get you to vote, just a simple request for you to take part and encourage others to do so.

As with the previous years' voting here's how this is going to work: each person has 100 points to vote for games released in 2013 (doesn't matter where, but games have to have been commercially released in 2013) and you can allocate them to as many games as you like as long as it totals 100 in the end. The only rule is that you can't award any single game more than 40 points. So you could vote two 40s and a 20, or a 40 and six 10s, or any other combination of points as long as it adds up to 100.

To vote all you have to do is post a reply with your top games of 2013, how many points you're giving each, and a brief explanation of why you feel the game deserves your points.

Example:

GAME A - 40 points
Man I loved game A because...

GAME B - 20 points
I ended up playing so much of game B that...

GAME C - 15 points
Game C gets some points because...

GAME D - 15 points
I couldn't decide between this and C, so gave both points, but D rocks because...

GAME E - 5 points
Good, but not necessarily great, but I figure E deserves some points because...

GAME F - 5 points
Like E, F gets a few points because...

--------

Voting will close on Saturday 25th January at 18:00 GMT (that's Englandland time), at which point I'll add all the points together and work out GFF's top 20 games of 2013, posting the results in a new thread for discussion/people to complain about. I'm allowing a little extra time this year so you've got a chance to go try and squeeze in any contenders you wanted to try before voting.

So, go on, get voting.

Oh, and get other people to come vote too.

Disclaimer/Rules:
1. If you allocate any game more than 40 points your vote won't be counted.
2. If your points allocation totals more than 100 points your vote won't be counted (totals less than 100 are fine).
3. Votes for games not released in 2013 will be ignored.
4. Only official commercial releases in 2013 count.
5. No negative points. I'll point and laugh and then ignore your vote.
6. Whole integers only. Fractions and decimal places will also lead me to ignore your vote.
7. Any other such idiocy will also probably lead your vote not being counted.

And as ever, I take no responsibility for Skills fucking with stuff, which if you ignore these points he almost certainly will do somehow.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2013, 08:44 AM Local time: Dec 31, 2013, 02:44 PM 1 #2 of 32
As is so often the case, I didn't really play much that came out this year. As such, this is destined to be a short list...

Ni No Kuni - PS3 - 35 points

Just about sneaking into 2013, Ni No Kuni ticked a lot of rpg boxes for me in that the story was largely ignorable, there was a mountain of collectible stuff and you could grind away forever for no reason if you so wished. It's charming, it's fun, it suffers perhaps from being too easy (The bonus extra boss which normally in jrpgs involves a special kind of arse rape for anyone who's not ground out an uber-character I killed with no particular strategy and not even my main team) and if they had stuck with the English accent for Oliver rather than weirdly making him the only American in the entire universe it would have been a lot better. Awesome game though, I really enjoyed it.

GTAV - PS3 - 35 points

After the crushing disappointment of GTAIV being a technical masterpiece completely devoid of hunour and lacking a lot in actual fun, GTAV was a fantastic return to form for the series. It's actually funny, the missions are varied and interesting and the radio stations have music on that makes you want to drive places rather than just getting taxis everywhere, although a longer playlist on each wouldn't have hurt. I never played the online mode because I'm old and grumpy now and don't really play online anymore, plus it crashed the one time I tried and that put me off but I guess if you're into that kind of thing it's fairly comprehensive. Hard game to top though.

Sonic & All-stars Racing Transformed - PSVita - 10 points

Who doesn't like a cart racing game eh? Sonic racing was better than Little Big Planet Karting and had a decent mix of challenges in the story mode. Good addition to the genre.

Hotline Miami - PSVita - 20 points

Retro shooting awesomeness although it is perhaps the most frustrating game I played all year at times. The soundtrack is top notch and the game is helluva addictive, there's no excuse not to own this really.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2013, 12:07 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2013, 09:07 AM 3 #3 of 32

Bioshock Infinite - 40 points

I loved the first Bioshock but got bored with Bioshock 2. This game renewed my interest in the franchise and I was very pleasently surprised with the features and dynamics of the game. There were moments where I breezed through without much trouble, and others where I was decently challenged. The story was mind-fucking fantastic and really made you think. If anyone hwasn't played this all the way through, they really need to take time off work and do that. Or just spend a game night playing it instead of playing with friends (hi Skills).

Ducktales (Remastered) - 30 points

Anyone who was a child of the 80s remembers this old classic, and was all over this when it came out again. This was a beautiful remake of the original game. It added more depth to an already fantastic game. The dialog was great, the animation was smooth, and the music was beautiful. The only real shortcoming to the game was how short it was. I know its trying to be true to the old game, but they added things already. They could have added a little more at this point.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 10 points

I was never really a Harvest Moon/Animal Crossing fan before this game, and I'm still on the fence about ti. However, there's something to be said about a game that can literally suck in a beach house full of 28 people constantly for a week and keep that interest for the entirety of the week. Its mind numbingly fun and helps to kill time while waiting for people to wake up or come back from their latest adventure. If you're into tedious sim development style games, this is a great one.

Antichamber - 10 points

I love me some puzzle games. Probably my favorite genre of gaming. I have especially loved the emergence of FPS style puzzlers that Portal paved the way for. This game was no exception. I really did enjoy the quirky way this game displayed things. I loved the mind-bending changes the game pulled on you at random times. This game was also pleasently difficult to beat and took me some time. I only give it 10 points because of how short it was and the lack of replay value. I literally had no reason to keep the game on my system once I beat the game and had all the steam cards.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 10 points

I actually had to double check this one. It originally came out before 2013, but the PC version that I've played (and has been played on multiple game nights) came out on January 31, 2013, so I am assuming it still counts. Anyway, I was pleasently surprised by how well this cart game was done. I usually shun cart games that aren't Mario Kart because they always feel like cheap knock offs. However, game night forced me to really look into this game and it truly is enjoyable. Its smooth, seamless, and has an entertaining multiplayer. I knocked it down because I don't have time these days to unlock maps and characters for multiplayer gaming anymore, so unless a friend has all of the things unlocked, we're stuck with limited supply. Still worth 10 points though.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2014, 05:21 PM Local time: Jan 1, 2014, 03:21 PM 4 #4 of 32
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team - 20 Points
This is kind of a weird selection for me. The game got some somewhat valid complaints that many of the gameplay mechanics were reused from prior games (giant battles in particular). That's true, but it's still so goddamn well done that it doesn't matter. It's even a bit heartwarming to watch Luigi come into his own and, by the end of the game, singlehandedly pummel the shit out of Bowser like some sort of mustachioed Ultraman. Plus there's the usual stuff like lighthearted music and genuinely good, funny writing.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 40 Points
Words can't do this game justice. It takes the melodrama and bad naming schemes of Metal Gear and goes full retard. At its most serious the game is still tongue-in-cheek; at its most absurd, it is indescribable. It ends before the gameplay can possibly get stale, and it has one of the more gratifyingly difficult final bosses I've seen in a long time. I was infuriated at first, but now I feel embarrassed that it took me so long to get good enough to finish it. The game trains you, and you feel like a better player for it. Best of all? According to Kojima, THIS SHIT IS ALL CANON.

If you haven't picked it up yet, you're only doing a disservice to yourself.

My Game of the Year selection and recipient of the remaining 40 Points:

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 40 Points

I thought about nominating the game last year, but I didn't want to be that much of a tool. But now that everyone's had a chance to play it, I can gush. It's a huge game filled with tons of likable characters and memorable battles, and good God dat soundtrack. Class changing is so encouraged and easy to do that no two players' teams are alike, and DLC keeps the game fresh for a very long time. A triumphant return to form after the awful Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and future entries in the series are going to be judged against this one. It is just that good.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Jan 15, 2014 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Can't count, apparently
SuperSonic
True_Blue

Member 163

Level 40.01

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2014, 09:42 PM 1 #5 of 32
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney Dual Destinies - 10 points

OBJECTION! The Ace Attorney is back and he's got a new partner with him that brings a new element to the courtroom gameplay. Had to knock off some points because you play as Apollo Justice in a couple of cases, but most of the time you're playing as Mr. Wright. Overall, this is another solid Ace Attorney title...it's just a shame that they couldn't release a physical copy. Oh, and in the DLC you defend an orca. That's just insane!

Ducktales Remastered - 10 points

I have played through this game 4 times covering every difficulty. This remake does the original justice. You'll play through it the first time and take your time to enjoy the story and voice acting. Your playthroughs afterward will have you skipping the cutscenes and just enjoying the great gameplay and awesome music.

Spoiler alert: The Moon wins BSC2014.

Super Mario 3D World - 15 points

The best title on the WiiU thus far? You bet your ass it is. This is probably one of the more difficult Mario games I've played, and that's not always a bad thing...unless you're trying to collect a green star/stamp that hovers above a platform you can barely fit on, but there's already a Fire Bros./Boomerang Bros. standing on it and firing projectiles at you to keep you away. Wasted 20 lives on that damn level.

I haven't had a chance to try this with all 4 players, but I can only assume it's pretty crazy.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 30 points

A Link to the Past is my all time favorite Zelda game, so when I heard they were making a sequel in the style of it on the 3DS, I tried so hard not to get my hopes up since Skyward Sword disappointed me.

Damn, this game is amazing. Nintendo nailed everything here: the music, the sounds, the story, the graphics, the gameplay, all of it just fits perfectly.

If you have a 3DS, YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 35 points

To me, this was my Game of the Year for 2013. It was just so over the top with crazy action and a soundtrack that you'd think you would hate but is actually pretty damn good. Gameplay is fast, responsive, and this is what I call the missing Ninja Gaiden (because NG2 sucks ass and NG3 was only a little better).

I bought this for the 360 originally and played through it 3 or 4 times. Then when Microsoft pissed me off with their XBox One crap I grabbed it for PS3. Finally a release date for the PC version was given a couple of weeks ago, so I've preordered that. This is the only game I've bought multiple times on this list.

Raiden may never be forgiven for MGS2, but he's been pretty damn awesome in MGS4 and this game.

Also, we now have a politican character that can rival Mike Haggar. Mayor of Earth? Pfffffft.

Pre-order this awesomeness on Steam, NOW: Save 20% on METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE on Steam

Honorable Mention: Pokemon Y

I didn't get this game until last month and I haven't put enough time in it, so therefore I have not been able to beat it yet. However, let me state that this game has been enjoyable thus far and that's pretty good considering the last Pokemon game I played was Yellow on the original Game Boy. I did buy Gold for GBC, but didn't play it much.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by SuperSonic; Jan 18, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Scent of a Grundle
Mountain Chocobo

Member 32415

Level 28.14

Dec 2008

Old Jan 2, 2014, 04:00 PM Local time: Jan 2, 2014, 03:00 PM 2 #6 of 32
Thomas Was Alone - 30 points

I tried to give such a short little game fewer points than this, but i just couldn't. It's beautiful in every possible way, from the narration giving the little rectangles such wonderful personality to the cleverness of the level designs. Thomas Was Alone is one of the best gaming stories i've experienced this year.

Floating in water is totally a superpower.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - 30 points

I've never really been one for MMOs. Most of the people who play them are all about rushing to endgame and munchkining as hard as possible, which makes a story-focused player like me feel kind of ostracized from the community. This game, however, felt like a Final Fantasy game complete with a world to explore, and a story to be told. As first forays into the world of MMOs go, it was (and still is) thoroughly enjoyable to explore and become a citizen of Eorzea. It also helps that the game is absolutely beautiful. It feels emptier now that all of the friends i started the game with have ditched me, but even alone i'm still enjoying myself.

Shame i'll never be able to afford a house, though.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 15 points

I've always loved Fire Emblem, and this is probably my favorite game in the series. I really appreciated the addition of casual mode - as someone who can't stand to lose a character permanently, it means i have to re-do levels a lot less often. I still play the game in the same way, but the last enemy pulling off a 2% chance crit at the end of a 45-minute battle no longer means i have to do the whole thing over again. Which is nice.

Also MUST GET EVERY SUPPORT CONVERSATION MY GOODNESS I LOVE THESE CHARACTERS

Phoenix Wright: Dual Destinies - 10 points

Yup, it's a Phoenix Wright game alright. The writing in these games is just so fantastic. Makes you feel absolutely awesome when the lightbulb comes on and you understand everything and oh my goodness i can't believe that [spoilerspoilerspoiler].

Shouting at your 3DS never felt so good.

Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed - 10 points

This game is a solid kart racer, and gets exponentially more fun when you play with friends. It's like a slightly more balanced MarioKart in some ways, except for playing against high level AI. Between the rubber banding and the occasional "i'm just gonna be impervious to weapons for a while, no big deal", it gets pretty ridiculous trying to get stars at the S-class level. Still, a lot more fun than it would appear at first glance.

BEEEEES

Ni No Kuni - 5 points

I had to get Ni No Kuni in here somewhere. I haven't made it very far in the game, but it's just so unbelievably beautiful that it's hard not to just fall in love with it. I guess it just didn't grab me enough to make me get through the entire thing in one run, but i still plan on getting through it sooner or later.

Now i want to go back to this game right now just for the music.

Honorable Mentions:

Persona 4 - Didn't come out this year, but i played it over the course of the year (one of the games that distracted me from Ni No Kuni).

Dishonored - Came out last year, but i played it this year. The whole game just oozed atmosphere, and the stealth gameplay was crazy fun.
What do we do with a drunken whaler....

Divekick - 2 button fighting game, and ridiculously elaborate fighting game in-joke. I don't get all the jokes, but my brother does. He tells me they're pretty funny.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Scent of a Grundle; Jan 2, 2014 at 04:02 PM.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2014, 07:24 PM 7 #7 of 32

Fire Emblem: Awakening (3DS) - 30 Points - YEAH NIGGA FIRE EMBLEM IS BACK. WE BACK SON. SHADOW DRAGON? PFFF THAT WAS SOME SHIT SOMEONE RELEASED ON THE SIDE TO MAKE US LOOK BAD. WE REAL FIRE EMBLEM NOW. GET READY TO FIGHT FOR YOUR GOD DAMN FRIENDS. ALL OF THEM. WE BROUGHT BACK THE SUPPORT SYSTEM SO YOU CAN MARRY BITCHES (ALL THE BITCHES) AND HAVE KIDS THAT ARE STUPID OVERPOWERED. SHIT IS DOPE. TEAM ATTACKS? YEAH WE GOT THAT. BITCHIN SOUNDTRACK? GOT THAT TOO. IF YOU DON'T BUY THIS FUCKING GAME WE MIGHT HAVE TO TAKE OFFENSE AND KILL YOU AND YOUR OFFSPRING CAUSE WE AIN'T GETTIN PAID ENOUGH FOR THIS SHIT Y'ALL MOTHERFUCKERS DIDN'T BUY ADVANCE WARS AND YOU SAW WHERE THAT FRANCHISE WENT YOU BETTER BUY THIS SHIT -- Intelligent Systems

Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk (PS3) - 30 Points - This a bomb ass JRPG right here. After years of putting up with JRPGs and their melodramatic bullshit it's nice to come across one that basically goes: "So uh, you've gotta go rescue your sister, but that's really not that big a deal. You should just go have a fucking blast doing whatever you want (and synthesizing things. SYNTHESIZE ALL THE THINGS) and you'll probably rescue her eventually". And you know what? It fucking WORKS. The game is genuinely fun and never feels like a chore to play. I actually played through it twice just to get all the endings, that's how much I fucking loved this game. The combat is as simple as can get (and the difficulty curve is just right), though the game does have plenty of bonus bosses for people who need a real challenge. A joy to play from start to finish, the sequel coming this March has a lot to live up to.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies (3DS) - 20 Points
Oh my god the fucking DLC case. There are NO WORDS that can properly describe how absurd this game gets. But it's a good thing! Phoenix Wright has finally returned to it's former glory and man was it long overdue. The digital only release is kind of a bummer but that is no reason to skip out on what is the best PW game since Trials and Tribulations.

Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA ƒ (PS3) - 20 Points
I wasn't quite sure there could be another recent music game I'd like as much as Theatrhythm but this is definitely it. They did an amazing job picking out a ton of quality Vocaloid tracks with a wide variety of genres and styles. Luka kind of got the short end of the stick compared to the rest of the cast, but overall it's a pretty solid title on all fronts. The sequel needs to hurry the hell up and come out already.

FELIPE NO

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Jan 2, 2014 at 07:28 PM.
Put Balls
i

Member 100

Level 26.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 3, 2014, 05:29 AM Local time: Jan 3, 2014, 12:29 PM 2 #8 of 32
The Last of Us 30

I was having a hard time with which game to raise the highest this year. I decided to go with Naughty Dog's newest venture. Much of this game is completely enjoyable, starting from the beautiful scenery and Santaolalla's subtle music. The mood is just completely out of this world, something not even many sci-fi films can create.

Some of the enemies' AI and detection is completely illogical, and therefore you can just slow walk through the whole game, basically. (case in point: the clickers should have noticed you from any movement, if they did use ultrasound) Usually I found myself trying to figure out a faster route, which made for a fun side puzzle. Ally AI was completely stupid too, making all sneaking seem counter-intuitive since the enemy doesn't see them AT ALL.

I could go on about the gameplay flaws, but the fact is it's a brilliantly acted and craftily told out story that gives the more story-oriented games a run for their money (see: my bubbling under section).

Assassin's Creed IV: The Black Flag (PS4) 25

It's been a while since an Assassin's Creed game was fun to play. A lot of the silly ship management and even the micro-advancements through assassin contracts is surprisingly fun to play, something I got really bored of in the previous installments. I'm always against useless collecting, which is now very truculent in practically every game. In Black Flag some of it was alright, namely the treasure map hunts and sinking value ships. On a side note, this is the prettiest game of the new generation starter set, not just a sloppy port.

Ninokuni: Wrath of the White Witch (PS3) 25

It was very refreshing to play a balanced j-style RPG, since god knows how long ago. I stopped playing them altogether after the horrible FFXII. Even the story, even though coated in candy cotton, was amazing, and at points truly dramatic. While in play it also felt like the side missions weren't all completely pointless, though retrospect dictates it was all for the money.

Resogun 10

Most fun I've had this year. The relentless arcade feel and the amazing new-gen graphics create a wonderful explosion of different thematics.

Grand Theft Auto V (PS3) 5

Deserves a mention on being an enthralling and well-acted script, albeit a bit on the short side. The gameplay itself was buried deep in completely pointless, interrupting side activities, which I ended up doing not much at all, to be able to enjoy the story. The online version was fun, but it didn't feel like being online. It was like playing against a completely sporadic and ADHD'd AI.

Ratchet & Clank: (Into the) Nexus 5

This would have gotten far more points were it a full game, instead of this four-world adventure that we got. I replayed Crack in Time after this, and everything is simply more balanced in this last Ratchet Future -game.

Bubbling under:
Spoiler:

Killzone: Shadow Fall

A really nice, and interesting, though a bit too chapter-delivered story. I was intrigued by the world, and even having not played the previous installments, I didn't feel left out from anything at all. That's an achievement. The problem is, this game shouldn't have been an fps looking from the storytelling perspective. Pretty as hell.

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time

I was thoroughly disappointed to hear Sucker Punch jumped ship on this series. Surprisingly not much damage was done and it feels like a continuation. Much of that is thanks to McConnell. This series could have easily gone down the Spyro drain. Many things WERE a bit off, like the clue bottle locations being illogical compared to previous installments. That, and other small details like it kept me from being immersed at any point.

Beyond: Two Souls

Not really a game, but I'll still put it here. A really gripping story, with this year's best (voice) acting. Nothing you do truly affects the story or anything in fact, which is a total letdown - you just see everything unfold.

Tomb Raider (PS3)

A nice revision of Uncharted. Nothing new under the adventure sun, but enjoyable enough to play through.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Put Balls; Jan 3, 2014 at 09:30 AM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 4, 2014, 04:17 AM Local time: Jan 4, 2014, 12:17 PM 9 #9 of 32
Bioshock Infinite - 5

Too much shooting that clashes with what it's doing with its narrative, but otherwise I really enjoyed it, and I didn't like the first Bioshock at all, it was a chore to play.

YouTube Video

DuckTales: Remastered - 5

It's ducktales, but with wonderful new animation, voice acting and remixed level details here and there. Really satisfying platforming and challenge.

YouTube Video

Grand Theft Auto V - 5

It's good. It's vast. It has a great soundtrack. I didn't like Trevor, but I liked a lot of the rest of the game.

YouTube Video

The Wolf Among Us - Episode 1 - 10

Only one episode in and I'm really enjoying it. Great characters, great atmosphere, fantastic music. Looking forward to episode 2.

YouTube Video

Monaco - What's Yours is Mine - 15

Pac-man with robberies and IT'S CRIME TIME MOTHAFUCKAS. Great fun singleplayer, absolutely hilarious in local co-op. Superb piano soundtrack that reacts to your playing.

[11:21:25] <CHz> Gotta round up the Make Skills So Angry He Ragequits Crew again.
[11:24:10] <Q-chan|space> mmmm monaco
[11:24:51] <CHz> Diss played the mole in every stage and made it his mission to destroy every single wall in the game.
[11:25:08] <CHz> Skills: "HAVE YOU NEVER HEARD OF THE WORD STEALTH IN YOUR ENTIRE LIFE"
[11:25:21] <CHz> Diss: "Sorry couldn't hear you over the sound of me alerting every single guard in the floor"
[11:25:24] <Q-chan|space> lmao
[11:25:33] <Q-chan|space> that's what my friend kept doing
[11:25:42] <Q-chan|space> and he hadn't even read the penny arcade comic
[11:26:11] <CHz> Diss wouldn't even open doors, he'd just tunnel through the wall immediately next to the door.
[11:26:11] <Q-chan|space> I was picking a lock and telling him and other friends "ok, as soon as I get this open, we can-" and he barrels through the wall right next to me
[11:26:18] <CHz> "this way I only have to open it once"
[11:26:43] <Q-chan|space> and he would end up digging this long tunnels everywhere and we'd mess up the AI patrols
[11:26:52] <CHz> Ahahaha yup
[11:26:55] <Q-chan|space> and run back to the exits easily when it was time to leave
[11:27:06] <Q-chan|space> best ones are the dudes who are supposed to stand in place
[11:27:09] <Q-chan|space> of like a console or something
[11:27:19] <Q-chan|space> and there's like a mile long corridor in front of them now
[11:27:27] <Q-chan|space> and there's just standing in front of it
[11:27:37] <Q-chan|space> "I know something is off with this but I can't quite.."

YouTube Video

Gunpoint - 25

If my #1 hadn't come along, this would have been my favourite game this year. Clever, charming, genuinely funny. Wonderful mechanics that let you replay levels in a multitude of ways. Amazing soundtrack and atmosphere.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 35

Jesus christ this game. I know I played this only now, but the game is so good it deserves to be here. Bravo, Platinum. You made me give a shit about Metal Gear and Raiden. You made Sunny adorable. You also had an incredibly annoying kid character voiced by an adult, but I'll forgive you this once.

Deliriously funny, inventive, challenging and delightfully entertaining.

Dat Bladewolf fight.

Dat Mistral.

Dat Courtney.

Dat sombrero.

Dat GRAD fight.

RULES OF NATURE

MOTHERFUCKING SENATOR ARMSTRONG.

IN THE END IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

Everyone play it, and start on Hard.

YouTube Video

YouTube Video

EDIT:

adding music.

EDIT2:

GOD DAMNIT NEW FAVOURITE

Last edited by map car man words telling me to do things; Jan 14, 2014 at 07:34 PM.
YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE

no

Member 74

Level 51.30

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2014, 03:05 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2014, 12:05 PM 2 #10 of 32
Rogue Legacy (20 Points)

Perfect platforming with just the right level of difficulty. Challenging without being frustrating, and varied enough in its structure that replaying the same rooms over and over again never becomes monotonous.

The Stanley Parable (20 Points)

This is where you can start to see I have this thing for good stories in a game being more important, maybe, than the actual gameplay. There isn't much of a game here, but I loved every moment of it.

Papers, Please (20 Points)

The gameplay involves performing the rote tasks assigned to a border post inspector in a fictional communist country. The story and atmosphere and level of detail make this one of my favorites of the year.

Fez (10 Points)

Beautifully realized two-dimensional platformer that decided to open things up to a third dimension. Wonderful music and visuals.

The Wolf Among Us (10 Points)

As Q said, though only an episode in I'm already in love with the story and atmosphere and visuals and music.

Thomas Was Alone (10 Points)

Another of those nominations made on the strength of its atmosphere and storytelling. Saying anything more would take away from how full an experience this little game is.

Grand Theft Auto V (10 Points)

The only console game I played this year. It's great, as I'm sure you know, but I thought the story was too short and online play did not entice me to continue playing in the slightest. I will say this was the best GTA since Vice City, possibly ever.

Games I have bought but not yet played but for which I am excited by the prospect of
: Gone Home, The Walking Dead: Season Two, Dust: An Elysian Tale, Kentucky Route Zero, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

Last edited by YO PITTSBURGH MIKE HERE; Jan 6, 2014 at 11:59 PM.
Angel of Light
A Confused Mansbridge

Member 6635

Level 26.61

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2014, 10:16 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2014, 11:46 PM 2 #11 of 32
Like every year guys, I don't really get much of a chance to play a lot of current releases. I did however get a chance to play a few, and this one of the few topics I look forward to every year.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 35 Points

I don't consider myself the biggest zelda fan, hell I'm one of very few people that actually didn't enjoy ocarina of time (that is literally blasphemy to many video game players). I've always had a soft spot for a link to the past. To this day it still remains my favorite zelda game of all time, and when I heard they were going to make a sort of sequel for this game I was really excited. When I seen the first trailer I'll be completely honest I wasn't all that fond with the art style but I still decided to buy it an give it an honest try. I was actually impressed with what they did with the game. They kept a lot of the things the same but they made the game different enough to make it an incredibly enjoyable experience. I loved the new types of puzzles and even though the dungeons were much shorter than their counterparts in a link to the past not one aspect of this game felt tedious. This was been one of the most enjoyable zelda games I've played in a very long time, but I still consider a link to the past to be the better game.

Ducktales Remastered - 35 Points

Being a fan of the original ducktales on the nes, I was very excited to play this. I think Wayforward fleshed out this game as much as they could and as a result made this a really wonderful experience. Not only did I feel like I was playing ducktales but actually watching an episode of ducktales in the process. I often don't understand what people's gripes with this game were, this was one of the best platformers I've played in a really long time and I look forward to playing this game on harder difficulties. I hope wayforward takes other awesome capcom/disney collaborations and turns them into wonderful games just like this one. I'm ended up buying the ps3 digital release first with the pin, but the moment I discovered this game was getting a physical release, I gave my download code away and got the physical release that this game so rightly deserves.

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - 30 points

Best ace attorney game since trials and tribulations, hands down. I really wish this game had a physical release, but the game had a north american release and I at least have to be grateful for that unlike Investigations 2. Its often amazing what they'll do to make the experience fresh and unique with each and every iteration of this series. Excellent story, excellent mechanics, and so many twists and turns. You just never know where the story is going to go with this game

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2014, 04:20 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2014, 04:20 AM 1 #12 of 32
Afraid I may have overlooked something that I genuinely enjoyed playing, I've narrowed it down to games that I feel did something right.

Ni No Kuni - 25 Points

Ni No Kuni was clearly the most anticipated game of the year for myself. The art style, music, and story really carried the game. Catching a variety of monsters and assembling teams of them as if playing Dragon Quest, I found myself being a completionist and rivaling my Pokemon team-building. When the story really got me hooked, the gameplay started to diminish. The "auto battle" concept drew from the combat experience and the AI's frequent use of magic found me needing to manage the heals on the team better. As the gameplay got repetitive and the AI dumb, I unfortunately lost my hard drive shortly before finishing the game. Despite not finishing, I found the experience very enjoyable despite the Collector's Edition getting canceled and Bandai refusing to let actual retail vendors handle the orders. I would still welcome a movie adaptation of the anime if Ghibli decided to return to this world. Must have.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 20 Points

Scored lower than NNK simply because of the hype, I found myself very interested in this title. As a big fan of turn-based RPGs, I for some reason never found myself drooling over this release. Getting it a few months after it came out, I instantly regretted waiting. Although the frustration of weapons breaking down got to me, the free DLC and challenge of traditional mode kept me playing for hours. The grinding wasn't as easy as in Final Fantasy Tactics and the class system didn't quite compare the same way, but the return of the franchise impressed me. Its a shame though that the game lacked more voicing and cutscenes. What they had was great quality. Must have.

Pokemon X - 15 Points

THERE IS NO ZUBAT CAVE. I don't care if that's a spoiler. Its a worthwhile one! While there is nothing truly groundbreaking about the gameplay or the visuals on the translation of the series to the 3DS, Nintendo made (or at least has planned to make) the right moves for the next generations of the games. Having to shuffle your Pokemon around to the Black/White cartridges is dumb, but the online services in the bank is what they needed. No more corrupt cartridges! The limited number of Pokemon avaiable was discouraging, but the Wonder Trade system is a nice addition (despite the number of garbage trades you get) and ultimately pays off better than putting things in the GTS for weeks at a time. Lets hope that they add more Mega Evolutions for asthetics. Maybe one day there will be several regions available in a single game and hundreds of Pokemon available to catch in one cartridge. Must have.

Dota 2 - 10 Points

Officially released, I can continue playing what I spent thousands of hours on with Warcraft 3. Translating almost all heroes and abilities, Dota 2 is proving that League of Legends isn't stealing the entirety of the MOBA market. Making the characters all free from the start is what sets them apart and leaving cosmetics as the only paid content is a real plus. Powered by Steam's platform, this should keep it relevant where WC3's battle.net presence is quite dead. Might as well have since free.

Legend of Zelda Link Between Worlds - 10 Points

Favorite game of all time getting re-released? Yeah I'll just Elder Scrolls this one as well (buying more than once). The visuals were refreshing and the sound was great and the mirror--err, where is the mirror? Okay, so not quite a re-release. The world is almost identical and the new cast and plot works. The game doesn't abuse the 3D too much and still retains enough from the gameplay and controls on the SNES. While seeming shorter than the original and a bit gimmickey with purchasing weapons, the dungeons provide enough flexibility and challenge in its puzzles to remain worthwhile. Although it doesn't feel like it quite lives up to the original, Link Between Worlds still holds great value. Must have.

StarCraft 2 Heart of the Swarm - 5 Points

Doesn't seem like it, but Heart of the Swarm came out this last year. While Starcraft is failing in the realm of professional gaming by the community's standards, HotS balanced the game slightly over WoL. Some units on Terran are still imbalanced (mines and medivac boost come to mind), but the Arcade community and unranked play still provide a lot of fun. Oh, and the single player was kinda dumb in this one. Adding in the "swarming" feature (free multiplayer upgrade to the version of the game your friend has as long as you play with them) makes it worth playing around with for anyone. Might as well have since free.

Antichamber - 5 Points

I was a fan of Portal, so another first-person puzzle game sounded like it would be fun to me. THIS GAME IS HELL. Using a unique visual style, I've tortured my brain simply trying to figure out where I am half the time. When getting from room to room, you feel rewarded as if you've defeated a boss on Dark Souls. Antichamber and I can agree that we have a love-hate relationship that is mostly hate. Worth having if you love challenging puzzles.

Neverwinter - 5 Points

Where most MMOs are crap, I figured that the free ones won't hurt to play. The user-created content and loyal fan base to the other Neverwinter Nights games were the selling point on this one. Surprisingly, the user-created quests had been very satisfying. Unfortunately the growth of your character and itemization is dreadfully slow, so I had a hard time keeping myself interested with bland magics. The game still has had a lot of promise and I do play again from time to time to see how things are evolving. Limited play-to-win and paid content in this is a plus, but the number of times they throw it at you is such a turn-off. Might as well have since free.

Super Amazing Wagon Adventure - 5 Points

Pardon me if I'm wrong on this, but I'm certain this came out last year. In what feels like Ridiculous Fishing meets The Oregon Trail, the comic value, random encounters, variety of absurd tasks and difficulty bring me back to play again. I've never finished the game and don't care, because its a great way to burn 5 minutes of time. Worth having to kill time.

Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2014, 08:24 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2014, 06:24 PM 2 #13 of 32
This year I played a few more new games than I did last year. I also found myself playing most of those games on a borrowed PS3 and I am suddenly wondering in dismay why I never got one for myself. Having said that, here are my picks for favorite games of 2013.

BIOSHOCK INFINITE - 30 Points

When I first read about Bioshock Infinite, I was really not convinced I was going to buy it. While the first Bioshock is still one of my favorite games of all time, I found the second game to be slightly disappointing in both gameplay and length. I was really kind of turned off that 2K/Irrational moved the setting from the underwater art deco gallery of decay in Rapture to a literal heavenly setting but I was surprised to be proven catastrophically wrong. The Jingoist-run, above-the-clouds city of Columbia turned out to be the kind of thunderbolt the series deserved and added a whole new level of exciting gameplay mechanics with the SkyHook. The ending was an almost Kubrickian mindfuck that stuck with me long after I shut off my Xbox and I was sure I was going to be writing this one in as my favorite game of 2013 until I played....

THE LAST OF US - 40 Points

The Last Of Us did something to me that I never thought any game would ever do: It made me stop for relatively-long stretches of time to enjoy, you know, just life in general. This wasn't because it was a bad game, though. In fact, the polar opposite is true here. This game's grimly-wonderful story and far-above-great acting has already been written about by countless publications to an almost nauseating degree, but it remains one of the best stories ever written for any video game in recent history. Heartbreak after heartbreak, whether it was from a character’s death* or from finding a hopelessly-despairing note left by a survivor who had probably long ago turned, I found myself often longing for contact from… shit… from anyone! I would text or call my girlfriend just to know she was on the other end of the conversation or text my sister to shoot the shit. Books have done that to me; never a video game. The soundtrack (My favorite gaming soundtrack now, second only to Grim Fandango) was also pitch perfect and didn't rely on tense, shock value moments but instead served to accentuate—not overpower—every dramatical aspect of the story. There’s definitely something wonderful to a storytelling experience that’s so immersive, that you yourself begin to feel emotionally affected as a result of being a part of it. The gameplay did, to be fair, begin to get a little repetitive at about the 70% completion mark, but it was a solidly-built combat system from the ground up regardless and I know I was definitely a different person by the time I finished it all. It was my favorite game this year.

(POSSIBLE SPOILER: *Seriously. I outright ragequit a session one weekend afternoon out of sheer anger that one character who I grew to like a little too much simply ragequit themselves. If it had been my PS3 controller, I'm sure I would have thrown it at a wall before peacing the fuck out for a simmer-down drink and to sulk in despair.)

GUACAMELEE! - 20 Points

The protagonist's name is "Juan" and the artwork is fluid, bold & colorful, which was enough of a hook for the straight up beaner in me. It was also way too short. Despite that, this side-scrolling beat-em-up was a great downloadable surprise that filled the void that side scrollers like Super Meat Boy and FEZ left. Mexico is reimagined here as a Cartoon Network-esque version of the 60's and 70's Mexican luchador films that now have a really faithful cult following (myself included) and, much like those films and thanks to its almost kitschy character design, the story and action never once take a serious turn in favor of the ridiculous humor and clever use of multidimensional dynamics. Its fun, fast-paced, over-the-top, luchador antics and fantastic contemporary/Mariachi soundtrack were an almost perfect blend of all mediums involved. If you haven't played it, it's only $15 on the Playstation Store and you owe it to yourself to download it.

THE ROOM - 10 Points

Much like with any Humble Bundle I buy, I really only buy it for one or two games. When I bought the first Humble Mobile Bundle to have shit to play on my tablet, I was only thinking of scoring a cheap copy of Plants vs. Zombies (Which I already had on iOS on my girlfriend's iPod and on the DS, so FUCK YOU I'LL SPEND MY MONEY ANY WAY I DAMN PLEASE.) Much to my delight, I stumbled into The Room and was totally engulfed in a slickly-built puzzle game that took advantage of every touch and motion control my Nexus 7 could handle. Its innovative puzzles in a steampunk-ish package basically sucked me in for the 4 hours or so it took me to beat it. Then I did it all over again. I know that this was out for the iOS in late 2012, but I played it on my Android tablet for which it was released for this last year. I hope I can still include this, because it was too awesome not to do so.

How ya doing, buddy?
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2014, 12:32 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2014, 11:32 PM 7 #14 of 32
Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds - 25 points

Jesus bologna tits.

This is seriously the perfect essence of Zelda, distilled down to a rock solid, damn near flawless execution. Dungeons were tight, puzzles were fine, collectibles were about perfect, and 60 motherfucking frames. 60! I never want another Zelda game in something less.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 40 points

YouTube Video

Phoenix Wright - Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - 15 points

The ending of this is so mindnumbingly brain busting that you will go "hoooooollllllly shiiiiiit" for like 20 minutes. All the characters are fantastic, the animations perfect, the soundtrack the best of the whole series. EVERYTHING. No bad cases either.

I can't wait for 6. Large shoes to fill on that one.

Fire Emblem Awakening - 20 points

I'm seriously surprised that they got so much content into this thing. It's so chock full of ideas, and every single one of them actually WORKS. The child system and all the extra content and all the bonus stuff and OH MAN REVISED CLASSES and LOOK AT ALL THAT SHIT yowza. There's also no single bad character. Not one. Which is insane.

Honourable Mentions: Pokemon X, Animal Crossing, Monaco, Ys: Mark of Celceta. Monster Hunter Tri ULTIMATE WII U SUPER ASSHOLE EDITION.
Games I can't comment on since I haven't played them yet but would probably be on this list if I did: 3D World, Tearaway.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jan 8, 2014 at 01:21 AM.
Adol
Wind of the Plains.

Member 17840

Level 9.35

Jan 2007

Old Jan 10, 2014, 02:30 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2014, 02:30 AM 1 #15 of 32
Saints Row IV - 35 points

YouTube Video

It's basically Saints Row 2, which was pretty much the best game of all time and proof of God's love, except somehow even more over the top than any of its predecessors. Which is not a bad thing. If you can't appreciate the POTUS blasting an alien overlord to death with the power of dubstep, you hate fun things. Normally, this would make it GOTY, except...

Fire Emblem: Awakening: The Second Coming of Christ: Rapture Dubstep GOTY Special Edition - 40 points

YouTube Video

This came out this year, and with apologies to the 99% of Earth's population I'm about to offend, it makes Chrono Trigger (or Saints Row 2) look like Quest 64 by comparison. Best soundtrack ever committed to a cartridge and/or disk, and brilliant character design. All of the positive qualities of traditional FE gameplay but with 90% less reliance on the RNG god than previous Fire Emblems because Frederick went all PICK A GOD AND PRAY and stuck a spear through its head. No shoes required to play.

Dragon's Crown - 15 points

Buoyant action, two full cups of blazing magic, curvaceous artwork, and a lot of people set out on a journey of bosoms breasts boobies jugs stonking great tits.

Seriously, it's fun, especially if you can get some people in for multiboober i mean multiplayer.

Papers, Please - 10 points

It's honestly kind of eh from a gameplay standpoint, but the atmosphere alone makes it worthwhile. Lots of games can fiddle with emotions, but very, very few can capture the crushing anxiety of living in a paranoid dictatorship like this can.

FORGOT ABOUT FINAL FANTASY XIV ARR BEING GOOD EDIT: if Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn counts as a 2013 release, steal Bosom's Crown's points and give them to it instead.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Adol; Jan 14, 2014 at 01:34 AM.
Sousuke
...it was not.

Member 1133

Level 33.80

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2014, 09:03 PM 1 #16 of 32
I honestly didn't get to play much (new) stuff this past year. Especially after October and the whole hand thing. Good job, doctors. That said, here are some points!

Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - 35 points

Even though it's largely the same type of Ace Attorney formula we've seen in the past, this game definitely outdid itself in terms of plotlines, character development, dialogue, and well... everything. It's so outrageously ridiculous and delightful. I haven't played the DLC yet but it's definitely in the queue.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 25 Points

I was pleasantly surprised to see that a sequel to LttP was coming. When I jumped into it, I found much of the world was the same, the charm was still there, and a couple of the dungeons were even similar, yet expanded versions of the originals. Definitely pleased with this nostalgic gem.

Super Mario 3D World - 15 Points

I've only played up to (partway through) World 4, but so far I'm quite pleased with this game. It reminds me of a pleasing cross between Super Mario 3 (which I still love to this day) and Super Mario 64, simply because it was the first 3D Mario game. The "Mario 3" style overworld with the added freedom of not having to "walk on the lines" was neat, even if (mostly) useless. Some of the levels are terribly frustrating to 100% finish (especially with my hand problems), but it's also refreshing to see a bit of challenge tossed in the mix.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn (Awoken) - 15 Points

I agree with everything Mo0 said (below) on this title. It's a wonderful reboot to the fiasco that was the original FFXIV. They've created a gorgeous world with some wonderful storytelling, great characters, and dare I say... some nostalgia from the original game (by which I mean walking into a new world after playing in 1.0 but seeing very familiar names and altered--yet still similar--landscapes was quite cool). That said, I've been playing this casually since its (re) release and I've pretty much only scratched the surface of the sheer amount of content in this game.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 10 Points

I haven't really had much opportunity to play this yet. I just bought this a few days ago with some store credit... And because even though I played very little, I DID enjoy it, it's getting some of my very precious points.

---

Tales of Xillia - Honourable Mention

This is a fantastic game, and I need not say much more about why than this:

Spoiler:

I'd give this some points if I had any left over (and if I'd actually had a chance to FINISH the game), and that may be the case once I assign my points to MGR. We'll see.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
chocojournal | rate! 1 2 3 4 5
twtr // g+ // dA // bklg // l.fm // XBL // tmblr

Last edited by Sousuke; Jan 19, 2014 at 01:41 AM.
Philia
Minecraft Chocobo

Member 212

Level 29.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2014, 01:32 PM 1 #17 of 32
GTAV - 20pts

Trevor makes this game excellent. I knew when I saw him in trailers I'm on fucking #teamtrevor. That craziness of his psycho personality appeals very much in this sandbox style game. The other two characters, not so much. The ending was a surprise and disappointing. If the heists were more thought out, this would had been the best GTA ever after Vice City. I like San Andreas too but I hate the characters.

The Last of Us - 20pts

The level of immersion was broken when the AI would stumble around loudly and the enemies wouldn't hear them but yet they can hear you instead. Outside of that though, excellent landscape, great set up, great dialogue, and great characters. I don't really care much for the plot, but it was engaging at least. I plan on getting the trophies for this game because I love it enough to replay it and I don't replay games to the end that often.

Beyond Two Souls - 20pts

I enjoyed this game for what it was. Good character development, great backdrops. The plot was interesting and the set up of the story telling in someways a hindrance but also great in lending into the suspense regarding the story.

Saints Row IV - 20pts

After the shallowness of III, this game was refreshing in its fun factor. I enjoyed it immensely to try to get everything. However, the plot and the characters are just as shallow as in III. They've lost their heart and soul from the first two games. You can tell that they tried to put in homage to the character development in audio tapes of different characters for you to find. The whole VR bit was neat though, especially the 50s setting.

Tomb Raider - 10pts

Its not a game I was expecting. Remember all that ruckus when this game came out about the deconstruction of Lara Croft into a weak female plot device to make gamers feel for her? I felt that but in an opposite direction, there was a lot of brutal death scenes and I can sense that it was put in just a tad too much. Then I remember how in the old games, you just die by walking onto spikes easily lol. But at the time, there was no such facial animations that show her "death struggle" that I felt was unnecessary. I get what they're trying to do, making her a real character of sorts but for fucks sakes, this is a series that lived on a lot of telltale deaths. Playing up her to you as a player, you should feel that she shouldn't go through that? What. Should I feel awful for every time that Mario fell through a pit? What? Yeah, that's my biggest gripe and maybe I'm just seeing it because I expected Lara to be more tough than that, than being a "victim". She've been in hell before in another game where she was a teen assisting her father. I don't remember much else on this game...

ACNL - 10pts

Played this for a while. It was my obsession to say the least. But really, its just all meta gaming that I enjoyed.

THIEF
Hyde

Member 759

Level 32.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2014, 03:21 PM 1 #18 of 32
I only played a handful of 2013 releases.

Fez - 30 points
I had been following this game for quite some time (well before Indie Game: The Movie). From the onset, everything about the game appealed to me, the music, the graphics, the presentation. I was handsomely rewards when I started playing. The puzzles were simply mind boggling and the sense of discovery was incredible.

Hotline Miami - 30 points
I did not start hearing about this game until OpEd pieces starting coming out about the game's violence and reviewers defending it. It's a frantic top-down shooter with wild 80's inspired visuals, a fantastic soundtrack, and a convoluted plot. And it felt so good.

Bioshock Infinite - 30 points
Currently playing through this right now. Honestly, I am not the biggest FPS fan, but I will turn up to play games like Bioshock. I am excited about the ending as it's gotten a ton of hype. It's definitely different being in such a bright, sunny environment as opposed to the dark, brooding underwater city.

Hold up, I beat it the other day. Ending was great. Dayum.

Rogue Legacy - 10 points
Difficult, challenging, and addictive. This harkens back to my Metroidvania days when I played all the handheld Castlevania games and Symphony of the Night. Add an in-depth leveling system, customization, and great humor (and meta-video game humor). I'm dying a ton and enjoying every moment of it.

Other games I've completed recently:
Alice, Madness Returns
Limbo
Mirror's Edge
Portal 2
The Walking Dead

Games I intend on playing soon:
Botanicula
Skyrim
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
Guacamelee
Resident Evil 5
Terraria

Last edited by THIEF; Jan 19, 2014 at 06:55 PM.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2014, 08:40 PM 2 #19 of 32
The top of my list might be predictable, but fuck it.

35 points - Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn

This game has no right to be any good. It's a relaunch of a hilarious disasterfuck that was, in turn, a sequel to a mediocre at best online Final Fantasy. And yet, somehow, they managed to make an intensely entertaining game. A massive variety of things to do, a wonderful localization effort and responsive (eventually) developers add up to the first MMO that's captured my attention for any reasonable length of time since early WoW.

25 points - Papers, Please

Papers, Please is honestly one of the most depressing games I've ever played. It presents you with all kinds of just awful scenarios, where you have to take people at their word, and... doesn't judge you for how you decide to act. It just leaves it up to your own self loathing to do that for you. It reminds me too much of my current job for me to play it anymore, and simply by virtue of the fact that it elicits that kind of reaction in me, that visceral gut depression, I consider it art. I love this game because I hate playing it.

15 points - The Room

The Room is iOS gaming done right. It's an honest to god tactile game, with such an attention to detail and good puzzle design. It's not difficult, really, but it doesn't need to be; the fun comes entirely from the feeling of discovery, poking and prodding at what's in front of you, like an extremely focused version of Myst.

15 points - Rogue Legacy

A roguelike platformer with Metroidvania-ish roots and tight as hell controls, Rogue Legacy sucked up way more of my time than I care to admit. It's an awesome example of how you can combine a few things that have been done before and make the whole package feel fresh again.

10 points - The Stanley Parable

Meta done right. What starts out seeming like a droll commentary on office boredom turns into... just about everything, sometimes all at once. I've never felt the need to explore a story the way Stanley Parable invites you to, and it was really fun while it lasted.

Games I'm surprised I didn't give points to:

BioShock Infinite
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon
GTA V
Super Mario 3D World
Pokemon X/Y
Resogun

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by value tart; Jan 16, 2014 at 08:43 PM.
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Jan 16, 2014, 10:40 PM Local time: Jan 16, 2014, 08:40 PM 1 #20 of 32
I don't play many new games.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 25

This really, really brought me back to a very latent love for the series. I have had zero interest in the console releases since the original iteration of Wind Waker and really despised the other DS games. This game, though, THIS GAME. I loved the 2D mechanic, I loved the music, I loved the changes to the world, and I know this might seem ridiculous, but I was really surprised when they actually included a mirror-world (albeit a different mirror world than A Link to the Past's). I felt giddy. I loved it.

And when I say I loved it, I mean it was actually too short. The dungeons where kind of tiny and quick to get through, my only gripe.

Also, barely any story. I really liked that!

Papers, Please - 25

Too real. There's a dark sense of humor behind a game about checking passports and related documents for legitimacy, being incentivized to come down harsh on those who are just desperate to get through, and being tempted, at the cost of your family's well being, to help people get through.

This game really moved me and made me feel dirty. I did get pretty good at it for a minute but decided to just walk away once I got through the entire story mode.

Fez - 30

I was very, very happy this was released on PC this year. I played it for a minute when it came to Xbox but, alas, I don't own one of those things and I really, really wanted to play this to completion.

This game invoked lost memories from my childhood memories playing NES and SNES games, imagining that there was more than what we saw, thinking there where secrets beyond what might seem reasonable. I remember hearing about strange, extremely difficult to recreate secrets in games that didn't exist and just imagining just how much a game could keep behind the curtains. Fez brought that back out of me by actually containing impossible at first glance puzzles, some legitimately out of my grasp, and the developer not being forthcoming with how and even if there's more to do that the community missed.

The look, the mechanic, the vague thread of a story, the feeling that every room has a long history, all of these things made it work for me. I liked it.

10,000,000 - 5

This is a silly dungeon crawler take on Bejeweled type games. It was really addictive and stole a lot of my time away. The music was pretty great as well, just simple fun.

Thomas Was Alone - 10

Great, great physics. The jumping felt so tight and each character's "abilities" played very well into each puzzle. The story, presented by blocks, was also extremely effective. The music complements it all, being melancholy and hopeful all at once. I can see how some people came to tears by this game, the last segment being the most emotional for me, anyway. It felt very real for me.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn - 5

Addictive game and a proper "I'm Sorry" letter from the company that brought you Final Fantasy XIV. I played the original, hated it, and quit after about a month of attempting to give it a fair shot. Version 2 really did an amazing job fixing just about everything with more to come. My only complaint here is that I have no idea where to spend my money. I can grind it out, and it flows, but I forgot to have a goal and a reason to have it. The game really focuses on drops from dungeons leaving crafted or items that can be sold in the dust.

OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2014, 08:30 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2014, 01:30 PM 2 #21 of 32
Whilst there’s still a good number of 2013 releases I didn’t get around to this year, some of which could likely have been contenders for my list (titles like Tomb Raider and Mario 3D World spring to mind), I did manage to play a decent number of games from the year and reflecting back on those games made me realise how good a year it was for great gaming experiences.

I was able to get my list down to a top 10, but then actually working out how to divide points up between those games proved to be bloody difficult, and my points are spread about as thinly as I have ever gone, and here are the 7 titles that I felt demanded some of my allocation:

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 20 points
There was me thinking I had my ‘best of 2013’ locked down with the next game on this list as my favourite experience from 2013. And then I finally got around to playing A Link Between Worlds. From the point this game was announced to finally starting it I was equal parts excited and terrified; A Link to the Past is one of my all-time favourite gaming experiences and LttP is the game that turned me into a ‘gamer’, so a sequel to that title could so easily fail on numerous levels. The fact that A Link Between Worlds not only succeeds but is fantastic in its own right is astounding. Somehow they managed to make a game that feels like how it felt to play Link to the Past for the first time, whilst also bringing new things to the table with. The design is great, the art is gorgeous and the music, oh man the music is so good. Everything about this game clicked and it felt like pure joy distilled and turned into a game. If you have any love for the Zelda series this is worth your time.

Fire Emblem: Awakening - 20 points
If any further proof that the 3DS had a ridiculously good year was required than look no further than Fire Emblem: Awakening. Here is a game that collects together a sizeable cast of some of the most likeable and interesting characters I’ve had the pleasure of spending time with for a while, it builds and strengthens the core Fire Emblem battle gameplay, offers some fantastic ways to build and spec units, and delivers just one of the most fantastic packages you could hope for. Beautiful, funny, challenging and just oodles of fun. Another fantastic reason to own a 3DS in 2013.

The Last of Us - 20 points
This is possibly the game a lot of people might have predicted as being my number 1 pick for 2013 based on how I gushed about it after I finished it, and it was certainly a strong contender. I’ve loved Naughty Dog’s work on the Uncharted series, but this took elements of that series, a fairly over-used setting (zombie apocalypse) and turns them into something dark, emotional and fantastic. Now I know there are people who had issues with how this game played where some of the immersion was broken, but I never experienced anything like that and this ended up feeling like a great book where you just want to know what happens next. The ending was close to perfect and ultimately this has been an experience that has stuck with me since those closing moments.

Papers, Please - 10 points
Another game with a bit of a dark edge to it, though one that might not look that way from the screenshots. On paper (no pun intended) this game shouldn’t work: you’re playing as a border crossing checkpoint guard in an 80s fake eastern block country where you have to check passports, permits, visas and the such like to ensure you only let in the ‘right’ people. But it’s not that simple, because you need to feed and clothe your family, and so when an opportunity for a quick buck comes along that might help pay for medicine for you sick son do you really turn it down? And how about the wife pleading for entry lest she be split from the husband you just let through? This game shouldn’t work, but is incredibly satisfying to play and I would recommend it to anyone who thinks the premise is at least the tiniest bit intriguing.

Tearaway - 10 points
Media Molecule certainly know how to put together worlds full of charm, and Tearaway on the Vita is no exception. This is an endlessly creative and enjoyable game and one I wish more people with kids owned as I couldn’t recommended it highly enough. The papercraft world is fantastically realised and Tearaway is a game that makes full use of everything the Vita has to offer without it ever feeling gimmicky. Every use of the Vita’s tools serves to immerse you more in the world and story, which is just as charming as the world that lives inside the Vita. The platforming is inventive and if you go for 100% completion takes a bit of thinking and skill to get everything. Wonderful game that is a must have for any Vita owner.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance - 10 points
If you’ve been in chat at all over the last few weeks you’ve probably heard a fair bit about Revengeance, and with good reason: it’s a cracking game. Platinum Games have crafted another game where the moment to moment interactions and gameplay are incredibly satisfying. The ‘slice anything in any direction’ sounds like a gimmick but they put it to great use and you will never not turning things into as many tiny chucks as possible. Factor in the fact that there’s tactical reasons to slice people up and rip out their cybernetic spines and it starts to transform the way you play. Absolutely cracking game that’s wonderfully over the top and silly, but in the best of ways.

Gone Home - 10 points
I did not expect this game to have quite the impact on me it did. I was mild intrigued by the premise - a game where you’re just exploring a house - and the positive buzz it was getting, though to avoid spoilers I didn’t read much about it (don’t worry, I won’t spoil anything here). I picked the game up and gave it a go, not quite sure what to expect, but really fell in love with what they delivered. I’m not sure I could argue it’s worth at the full price, as it is only a 2-3 hour experience, but definitely worth a look.

Honourable Mentions: Grand Theft Auto V, Monaco: What’s Yours is Mine, BioShock Infinite, Rogue Legacy, Hotline Miami, Resogun, Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy, Animal Crossing: New Leaf, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons

I was speaking idiomatically.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:42 AM 2 #22 of 32
I played a grand total of five games this year and beat three of them, and all three of them are worthy of being called Game of the Year if you ask me.

Super Mario 3D World - 40 Points

Ever since Super Mario 64 came along and reinvented video games forever, the Mario games have followed a pretty similar structure. Enter a large world, complete various discrete challenges to collect X amount of stars, rinse, and repeat. Every flagship Mario game since has followed this format, with the Galaxy games being (until now) the pinnacle of the Mario experience as far as I'm concerned.

Super Mario 3D World brings things back to basics and delivers an unparalleled Mario adventure that, to me, is the best game in the series. I've never played a game so thoroughly saturated with good times. Every level in the game offers a brand new set of obstacles to overcome, sometimes offering items, enemies, and challenges never or rarely seen again. Even in the bonus worlds, which include some levels that are new twists on existing levels, all feel different. It's a remarkable amount of content for a game, and makes me happy that despite Nintendo's recent financial woes, they still know how to make a game that delivers tons of fun. This is probably the least offensive game ever created, and I dare anybody to play this game and not have a boatload of fun with it.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 40 Points

I had always loved the first three Zelda titles, but Ocarina is the game that made me really fall in love with the series. I wasn't entirely convinced that A Link Between Worlds was going to be anything special, especially after having been let down by the two DS entries in the series. Boy was I glad I was wrong. A Link Between Worlds is one of the best entries in the series (after Skyward Sword, I'd say), and a wonderful reinvention of the classic formula.

Not a ton has changed, but enough has to make it feel fresh. Item renting is a very cool concept, and giving us full access to pretty much everything in the world right away gave this game a distinctively different feel. The amount of freedom afforded to the player is at an all-time high, when previous entries were accused of "too much hand-holding." You still have X's marked on your map as to where you need to go, but there's not as much linearity to your journey as there has been, and it works pretty damn well. The game was over a bit too quick if you ask me, but that's possibly because I spent as much free time as I could playing it between Christmas and now. It's a masterful experience.

Far Cry 3 - Blood Dragon - 20 Points

Fuck your faggoty Halos, Call of Duties, and Battlefields. This is where the real awesome is at. This game was a completely retarded blast from start to finish, reveling in the corny laser-drenched glory of the 1980s and giving gamers an awesome tongue-in-cheek experience like few others. If this kind of technology existed in the 80s, I'm fairly confident this is the type of game we would be playing.

Most amazing jew boots
Dopefish
I am becoming a turkey.

Member 42

Level 42.28

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2014, 09:43 AM 1 #23 of 32
Too bad I can't vote since the only 2013 games I played were GTA V and Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, I have yet to catch on The Last of Us, Tomb Raider and AC: Black Flag among others.
Erm, this means you absolutely can vote. If you think those games are worth some points, then give them some points. Even without the context of playing many other games from 2013 you will know if those are good games or not, and if you think they're just OK then don't throw them the full 40, throw them a smaller amount (e.g. 10 or 20).

The rules say you can't allocate more than 100 points, but I explicitly allow votes that add up to less than 100 for situations like this.
Well I guess I'll waste my time voting for and summarizing the THREE games released in 2013 that I played.

Pro Evolution Next Generation Football Simulation 2014 - 10 points
I know I'm probably the only person in this community who gives a shit about sports games anymore, but I still like trying new games and watching developers spin their wheels in the mud year-after-year. Still, I'll save us both the embarrassment by putting my review in spoiler tags.

Spoiler:
I keep hoping for the day that "next generation" sports games actually make the improvements of leaps and bounds that previous "next generation" games made, but for some reason developers keep making the same slow, incremental changes that belie the capabilities of the hardware that is out there. PES2014 is no exception; they improved texture resolution and physics at the cost of a less alert and responsive control scheme. Do those two things even relate to each other? I have no idea.

I realize the conundrum I experience with sports games, and it's one I need to consider more; that I simultaneously want a game with improved fidelity (I'm thinking of an NHL game with four officials on the ice at once; jerseys with textures that don't stretch unrealistically; crowds and stadiums that don't just exist, they live; etc.) but improves very little on an engine that has thus far been the best way to play a hockey game (NHL '94).

I know it's crazy for me to think I can have my cake and eat it too, but then we go from PES2013 (which I've been playing fairly non-stop in between Skyrim for the past few months) to PES2014 (which has tedious gameplay and no amount of community mods can unmake that) and it makes me remember that "the cake is a lie" and I should really stop paying attention to new releases because it'll never be the experience I yearn for.

LEGO Marvel Super Heroes - 5 points
Here's another game series that continues to grow from the LEGO Star Wars groundwork and get muddied in the process of growing into the next generation. I'm sorry, but how many hundreds of characters do you need that can make webs, crawl on walls, use data centers, or fly? I get that you can't have a license for a huge library of characters without making use of ALL of them, but it gets overwhelming and, again, tedious. For example, in the open world portion of the game, why do I have to find a computer in order to switch characters? Shouldn't I just be able to radio them to replace me, or even just call them? We can do this in Marvel vs. Capcom but not in this huge, "we're all in the same city helping each other anyway so just give me a buzz if you need me" New York City environment? Am I wrong to think this is absurd? Am I expecting too much again?

Bioshock Infinite - 20 points
At some point I may go back and get deeper into this game, but it's the only one of these three that didn't irritate me into stopping; I only stopped playing because Skyrim and PES2013 are easier for me to get into and out of quickly as I have less and less time to play new games these days.

Games I would like to have played from 2013
Grand Theft Auto V
The Last Of Us
Fez
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Pokemon X/Y
Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Games I'd like to play coming in 2014
Super Smash Bros. for WiiU
Watch Dogs
Next Car Game
...NHL 15 and PES2015

FELIPE NO

Old Jan 18, 2014, 03:29 PM 7 #24 of 32

Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch - 5 Points
The year of 2013 started with me being very mad at videogames.

Or more specifically me being mad at Bandai-Namco and their lack of seriously looking at preorder numbers for a special edition of their game and then matching that number and a little extra. Fucking disaster. So many got their preorders cancelled and that includes even people being from the original preorder batch in the summer of 2012. I managed to slip-in during the second preorder session so I wasn't surprised when I was amongst those on the chopping block. However, it was just all handled so incredibly poorly from people being able to use a special url to then order as many as they wanted to said url getting leaked online to online shops and scalpers being granted special privilege to preordering dozens of special editions.

I talked to their customer service to see what the hell was going on and they were complete shit and offered me shitty e-bucks on their website which I didn't want. The only thing I really wanted was the stupid companion spell book and game. The plush doll and everything else could go suck it. I just wanted to match what was originally intended for the game. Yes, the book is included in the game itself and yes I downloaded a pdf version of said book but it's just not the same. Don't offer more preorder slots if you don't even have enough for the first batch of preorders, ya fucking mooks!

Eventually I bit the bullet and ordered the regular edition of the game and played a few hours of it. It's an enjoyable game but I just couldn't get over how mad I was at Bandai-Namco that I had to stop playing it because I just wasn't having as much fun as I should have been. They did send a free guide to make up for their bullshit but I honestly don't want it. I don't think I'll ever order anything from their online store again. I need to get back to this game though since I've had enough time to cool my head to not be mad at it anymore.

No Brakes Valet! - 5 Points

I played this on Nutty/Mo0's Ouya and ahahahha oh wow it's a lot of fun. Like I haven't had as much simple fun as I've had with this game in a long time. Fly out of one of four parking entrances to slam on your brakes and attempt making it inside the parking lines for points. Even better with two players competing for space at the same time. Almost makes you want to buy an Ouya. Almost.

Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon - 5 Points

Another game I barely played. I enjoyed what I did play but just didn't get that far. Since Nintendo's stance is that The Year of Luigi extends into 2014 I'm gonna have to make that true by actually giving it a proper go this year.

YouTube Video

Heh I've probably replayed this video than I've played the game. To be fair it's a great video. Hey.

Super Mario 3D World - 5 Points

This game deserves more points I'm sure. However, I only every played up to World 2 by myself. I was anticipating playing this with my buddy and his sister but it quickly became who is the biggest asshole and leave everyone behind and him getting a headache meant we stopped playing and never went back. I did have fun and I'm sure it's a great game if everyone works together and feeling well but I just didn't play enough to give this more points. I know it gets better the further you get into it but yeah... I need to play more.

GTAV - 10 Points

Yeah... I was originally gonna do MS Paint crap for all these pictures but got burnt out after the fourth one. Anyway some of this shit is practically trace-work and it looks like shit because I have very little experience with my Wacom Bamboo. I probably should have just used the stupid picture i traced over. Whatever it made for fun practice. Oh this shit's longer than the fucking text about the game below. Whoops.

GTAV. Good game. It felt a bit short compared to past GTA games but it was definitely fun and definitely not as serious as GTAIV was. I enjoyed the three character system and the game felt a lot more balanced and fair compared to GTAIV. I look forward to what Rockstar does with this engine with expansions. I really hope they don't just do online and that's it.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed - 10 Points

This was a surprising hit for Game Night. It's just a tight racing game that's a lot of fun. I look forward to playing it with you all some more. My God those Samba levels.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 20 Points

So good I bought two copies. Well mostly for time travel shenanigans for traveling between towns for good turnip prices. I was spreading disease when it came out so I didn't get to enjoy it like I should have at the meet. After I'd settled in at home I managed to really get into it and start seeing what I could exploit with a second copy. I also just really enjoyed the game itself and being the mayor really expanded the game in an interesting way. It sorta became an unlocking mechanic for things that normally would be in your town from the get go and also for certain things in the city. At the same time it allowed for some customization of those things you didn't have control of before.

I still think Nintendo needs to take a good hard look at Konami's Magician's Quest: Mysterious Times which pretty much takes all the interactions of the villagers and actually makes it meaningful and not just returning items to villagers and also adds quests, magic, and other cool shit. The island was a good start at adding something more to a quest system to the game. I think this could be expanded upon to something beyond your town. If Nintendo is going to make an Animal Crossing for Wii U then it better not be as disappointing as City Folk was as a small expansion to Wild World.

Anyway I definitely enjoyed New Leaf and its a step in the right direction. Yes, I know that Animal Crossing is a relaxing mortgage simulator where you can fish and catch bugs and micro manage everything but I think it could be more. Also Isabelle is adorable. <3~

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 40 Points

Holy shit this game. I know some people claim rehash or some shit. Fuck them. This game may practically have the same basic overworld as A Link to the Past but its plenty different. Clocking at 60 frames per second WITH 3D on this game is the reason to have 3D on your entire play through. It looks great and I played it practically non-stop so long my eyes felt funny but it was worth it. This is probably the best playing Zelda I've experienced in the past twenty years.

Even its gimmick is incredibly well designed. I thought maybe the painting thing would feel forced but no it works incredibly well both as gameplay mechanic and for the story. The bosses and dungeons may be a bit easier than I'd liked but part of that is that I'm a Zelda veteran and the game just plays incredibly well. I started a second playthrough in Hero Mode and the four times damage definitely helps increase the difficulty. Having 100% the game the first go around helped me in finding a decent amount of hearts. I'm still in the beginning in Hero Mode but I look forward to challenging myself through this excellent game once again.

Is it as good as A Link to the Past? No but it tries really damn hard to be. There's just so much to this game - amazing gameplay, good graphics, great music, fun story/characters, and just an amazing overall experience you won't want to put down. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds is a must play and my personal game of the year.

Honorable Mention:

Spaceteam

A shame you came out in 2012. Had a blast at the meet playing this with you guys. REMODEL THE KITCHEN

Fallen Hero:

Nikki & Swapnote

RIP you loveable loveable program. I probably spent more time on Swapnote than I did on any of these games. All Nintendo had to do was disable the stupid ability to attach photos and most of the problems with it would be gone. Fucking killjoys. I really enjoyed drawing stupid shit for you guys. I miss you Nikki.

Making this post has made me realize just how little I've played videogames in the past year. Besides the games I play during Game Night with you guys this is practically what I played all year and its kind of pathetic. I read 4000 times more about videogames than I actually spend playing them and I need to change that. I have games that I started during Let's Play streams that I also need to do, and I have all these various games that I've bought that are unplayed. I keep current with my purchases but it just piles up. It's a really big problem. Thanks OP.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by FatsDomino; Jan 18, 2014 at 10:11 PM.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Jan 19, 2014, 03:37 PM 2 #25 of 32
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - 25 points
Everyone covered what makes this game so great. If you liked Link to the Past (and who doesn't?), this is a slam dunk.

Super Mario 3D World - 15 points
Again, a no brainer. An excellent follow up to 3D Land, and no one was surprised at the quality of this game.

Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate - 15 points
This was my first Monster Hunter game, and I was initially skeptical. Still, I had a blast playing with other GFFers, and I'll definitely pick up future installments.

Payday 2 - 15 points
Payday 2 came out of nowhere for me. I've never played the first one, but after reading reviews of #2, I gave it a shot with Mo0, Garr, Tritoch and later Skills. Sure, it's not the greatest game ever, but it's hilarious to play with a group of friends.

GTA V - 15 points
This was another game not on my radar after the disappointment of GTA IV, but the series rebounded nicely. Memorable characters, more freedom to do whatever you want without being pestered by NPCs, and the better late than never addition of checkpoints make this my favorite sandbox game of the year (though I haven't played SRIV yet).

Rayman Legends - 10 points
Rayman probably deserves more points, but it's been overshadowed in my library by too many other games. Seeing as it has pretty much of the entirety of Rayman Origins included as well, and makes excellent use of the Wii U touchscreen, it's one of the best platformers out there.

Rogue Legacy - 5 points
I still haven't beaten the game yet, but it's one of those "just one more try" games. The more you play, the better your character gets, and the randomly generated levels and characters make for a great experience.

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Question] The Gamingforce Game of the Year 2013: Heigh-ho it's off to Vote we go