Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Ripping data from PS2 games - Compressed data?

Dopple
Wark!

Member 1778

Level 3.52

Mar 2006

Old Jul 1, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: Jul 1, 2006, 02:13 AM #1 of 3
Ripping data from PS2 games - Compressed data?

Hi there. If anyone could guide me as to what I could do, it would be greatly appreciated.

You see, I've got a game, Tales of Destiny 2 (J, PS2), from which I'd like to rip sprite and audio data... I've searched far and wide and came up with a few options. One way people rip sprites are taking many many screenshots and isolate the sprite. One way people rip audio is to record it.

Dissatisfied with such methods (as it is impossible to rip certain things from the game this way), I searched harder and found that people used a little program called "GGD" to rip stuff. You basically open up the game data file and go through it until you see something vaguely like a sprite... then you adjust palettes and stuff like that and export it.

I tried that... no luck. It seems all the files are compressed in a strange file format, in "FPB" format. I searched around and came up with a page that said Tales of Destiny 2's filesystem is similar to those of Tales of Destiny and Tales of Phantasia, and that those two games use LZSS compression (whatever that is). I found one Japanese site that is selling a program to extract a few pictures in BMP format... but I can't get it because they use a Japan-only payment system. One other site, Phantasian Productions (the people who are translating Tales of Phantasia PSX) has played around with it and cracked the filesystem in a few minutes, apparently. They're not sharing any of their extraction tools and stuff like that.

So... that leads me here. I just want to ask if any of you know of any other method to rip sprites and other data (voice data maybe). Or would I have to find some programmer who knows reverse engineering or whatever you need to know, and have him code a program to extract? (Lol, as if anyone would be willing to do that.)

Thanks for any advice. My eyes are tired from searching. xD

Most amazing jew boots
Acid Rain
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 10327

Level 1.02

Jul 2006

Old Jul 28, 2006, 09:48 AM #2 of 3
You can extract sound using PSound. I've tried GGD and It locked up on me. Cless is pretty much not going to release his tool. So, yeah...

Most amazing jew boots
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2006, 10:05 AM #3 of 3
Quote:
I searched around and came up with a page that said Tales of Destiny 2's filesystem is similar to those of Tales of Destiny and Tales of Phantasia, and that those two games use LZSS compression (whatever that is).
Did they say anything about any other games?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Ripping data from PS2 games - Compressed data?