Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread
Closed Thread

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 21, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Nov 21, 2006, 10:50 PM #1301 of 1979
Originally Posted by chaofan
PLEASE!!! Anyone got an answer to how many saves can be had for Wii's internal memory?
My guess is a lot. When managing in the Wii menu, it's still measured in Nintendo's cryptic "blocks," like Gamecube. Zelda takes 1 block, WiiSports takes 2, Red Steel uses 3 and ExciteTruck is 4. After that, I've got 5,124 blocks left. Since I doubt I'll ever buy any VC games, I doubt I'll ever be in need of save space.

Originally Posted by garthvadr3
anyone get Red Steel? I was wondering about first hand impressions cause reveiws have been mixed. I am interested in getting this one when I get my Wii.
For starters, it seems like some people just "get" the controls, and some don't. If possible, you probably want to try the game out before buying to make sure. Personally, I find the controls easy, if not completely intuitive. A lot better than using a regular console controller for a FPSer, but still not as easy as a keyboard+mouse.

That said, I think the overall 7/10 average between all the reviews is a fair score. And I'd say it's not because of the controls, but because of a bunch of little flaws, and the lackluster swordfights.

Most of all, the way your health completely regenerates if you duck out of combat for a few moments is beyond unrealistic (wtf? Am I Wolverine?). Only being able to hold two guns at a time, while realistic, is something that no FPSer should have. Multiplayer needs bots. The load times are pretty long. Music is sometimes really good, and sometimes really bad (ugh jpop).

The game does have a lot of good going for it, too. AI is pretty good; enemies take cover and move to new cover if they think it's safe, and sometimes retreat if you kill their buddies (while yelling "Murderer!", lol. Some of the things they say are really funny). While some of the older screenshots looked like N64, the finished product is definitely above Gamecube. Good level design, with a fair amount of interaction with background stuff.

If the swordfighting were better, this game would be a solid 8/10. Even going in knowing it would be gesture based and not 1:1, I'm disappointed. As it is, it just feels like a timing based minigame. Parry, attack, parry, attack, repeat until win. Although, being able to stab your opponents during a gunfight if you're close enough to them is always fun.

Overall, it's a fun experience, but still rough and unpolished. At any rate, I think I'd prefer it to Call of Duty 3 just for not being yet another WW2 game.

Most amazing jew boots

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:25 AM #1302 of 1979
Originally Posted by Infernal Monkey
Oh shi the first TurboGrafx games are up? So cool. That was the only reason I was going to bother with the Virtual Console, but it doesn't seem like Australia's going to get that section at all (because the console was never released here, obviously that means we should never be allowed to play the games, ever). ;_;
I bought Bomberman '93. I figure everyone loves Bomberman multiplayer (and since I have 4 GC controllers and 1 Wiimote, I can play 5-player Bomberman right off the bat). Plus, it has a nice single-player mode and you can use bots in the multiplayer.

Also, I just needed something else to fill out those blank channels. I think that's how Nintendo wanted you to feel (those sneaky bastards).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:14 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:14 AM #1303 of 1979
I'm pulling off the hardest thing to do right now. I'm holding off playing Zelda just one more week until my component cables come in. The game just looks too ugly and blurry with composite on my LCD TV. I know the gameplay is what it's all about but I wanna make this experience the best one possible. To do that I have no choice but to wait.

Screw you, Nintendo! I have waited so long for this Zelda game and now I can't play it because component cables are hard to obtain and cost 100+ on ebay. Until then it's all Wii Sports, Trauma Center and Monkey Ball.

FELIPE NO
kainlightwind
Good Chocobo

Member 120

Level 17.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:36 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 08:36 AM #1304 of 1979
Originally Posted by Miles
I'm pulling off the hardest thing to do right now. I'm holding off playing Zelda just one more week until my component cables come in. The game just looks too ugly and blurry with composite on my LCD TV. I know the gameplay is what's all about but I wanna make this experience the best one possible. To do that I have no choice but to wait.

Screw you, Nintendo! I have waited so long for this Zelda game and now I can't play it because component cables are hard to obtain and cost 100+ on ebay. Until then it's all Wii Sports, Trauma Center and Monkey Ball.
I have to wait as well although I just have your regular type of tv that supports component cablesa nd 16:9. I've read that they will be shipping more around Dec. 5th at retailers. Although Gamestop has them listed for Dec. 15th. Who knows. I'll probably go reserves one at Gamestop then look around on the 5th to see if they are available. Not entirely sure what kind of picture quality I'll have to start. Shouldn't be too shabby. I hope.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
immp
Hortus Ortus Vinco

Member 584

Level 15.79

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:37 AM #1305 of 1979
Question. How difficult is it to set/reset up Wii's sensor bar? I plan to move this thing a lot, take it to a friends house or school. Am I going to get annoyed having to set the sensor bar back up everytime?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 09:54 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 07:54 AM #1306 of 1979
Originally Posted by Miles
I'm pulling off the hardest thing to do right now. I'm holding off playing Zelda just one more week until my component cables come in. The game just looks too ugly and blurry with composite on my LCD TV. I know the gameplay is what's all about but I wanna make this experience the best one possible. To do that I have no choice but to wait.
Yup. ;____;

That's why I haven't really started playing it. BUT THAT'S OTAY! MONKEYBALLS and BIG DAMN TRUCKS are ridiculously awesome anyway. I still need to get Trauma Center though. :/

There's nowhere I can't reach.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:04 AM #1307 of 1979
Wow, you guys are really waiting?

I play on an HDTV with the composite cables and Zelda still looks freaking amazing. My component cables are coming next week and I don't mind playing Zelda before then. Have you tried seeing what it looks like, at least?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:22 AM #1308 of 1979
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

I play on an HDTV with the composite cables and Zelda still looks freaking amazing. My component cables are coming next week and I don't mind playing Zelda before then. Have you tried seeing what it looks like, at least?
I agree, the game looks absolutely beautiful despite not having component video yet. All i have to say is, just wait till you get to the Faron Woods before you pass judgement.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:23 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 09:23 AM #1309 of 1979

Same here. I have a 32" LCD and I sit about 6 feet away and it looks great to me.

I guess alot of it depends on if your TV has a good deinterlacer though. My Westinghouse has a Fadjoura deint chip that is just top notch. Other than that, if you have a 50" and you are sitting 4-5 ft away, it will alos probably look like crap.

I have to say, I'm much happier with composite on HD than I thought I would be, however, I can't wait for those darned component cables.

I was speaking idiomatically.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
DjMeas
~VGM Composer~

Member 2154

Level 15.68

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 10:53 AM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 08:53 AM #1310 of 1979
Originally Posted by immp
Question. How difficult is it to set/reset up Wii's sensor bar? I plan to move this thing a lot, take it to a friends house or school. Am I going to get annoyed having to set the sensor bar back up everytime?
It's not too bad. Calibration of the Wiimote is quick and fast~
Lining up the 2 dots on screen and hitting [A].

It shouldn't be a hassle.

--

I curious to see if nintendo or any other group will make a music/rhythm game for the Wii.
Ouendan sounds like it'll be hectic fun with a Wiimote haha.

Last edited by DjMeas; Nov 22, 2006 at 10:57 AM.
majario
Arin=Sexy+Magic=Super Pangya!

Member 140

Level 21.84

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 12:58 PM #1311 of 1979
I've been thinking about getting an hd tv and some component cables to improve the look of the Wii games even though they are already beautiful with my regular tv right now. Anyway, would this tv do the job:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...3334&rd=1&rd=1

If anyone could provide some other choices please let me know. Thanks!

FELIPE NO
garthvadr3
Good Chocobo

Member 694

Level 15.42

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 01:54 PM #1312 of 1979
I have never heard of ths brand before, I would at least check the reviews, and I mean legit reveiws like home entertainment magazine/websites and user reviews. Be wary of LCDs that are likely to have a dead pixel problem. I would avoid any TV's suspect of dead pixels like the plague.

Thanks Starman for the mini reveiw of Red Steel. That is just what I am looking for. I think I may get the game, I will most likely try it out first but your reveiw helped sway my opinion because I know you play BF2 and so do I, and you were still able to enjoy the game with some little adjusting. BF2 and the BF series is about as far as I usually go with FPSs. Soo that being said... I can assume I may like Red Steel because I do not hate FPSs if they do not conform to the usual control, as long as it is done well enough that it is functional.

Last edited by garthvadr3; Nov 22, 2006 at 01:56 PM.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:01 PM #1313 of 1979
I like how my Wiimotes' batteries only lasted <23 hours.

I'm off to buy some rechargables now.

Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:41 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 09:41 PM #1314 of 1979
23 hours of active waving around, or just by having it somewhere around and wave it for a bit every now and then? 23 hours of active waving from some cheap batteries doesn't sound too bad to me. Just get some rechargeable photo-batteries (the ones that are intended to be used for digital cameras - they are more expensive, but also last longer) and you're good to go. A pack of four would do the trick.

And a recharger, since your current one probably can't charge them.

Hrhr.

Seriously, it's worth it. I used them for my MP3-discman and could use it for hours and hours before the batteries needed to be recharged.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 02:59 PM #1315 of 1979
oh, 23 hours of active activity, I always turn mine off and I get pissed if my brother just leaves it.

I was thinking on just getting an energizer charger like I had years ago.

BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:41 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 01:41 PM #1316 of 1979
Has anyone heard of any stores getting restocked yet? I still call the few within a short driving distance around me each day at lunch, but have had no luck.

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 03:59 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:59 PM #1317 of 1979
Friday is what I've heard for the second shipment.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Shonos
Tooken.

Member 438

Level 20.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:15 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 02:15 PM #1318 of 1979
Oh god trying to buy a Wii on black friday is like giving yourself your own death sentence. Then carrying out the beheading yourself with a dull blade.

I'm just going to wait untill December or January..

cubed
Knock knock who's there? Me! I keel you!

Member 858

Level 27.57

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:21 PM #1319 of 1979
Best Buy are getting a minimum of 20 units per store this friday. Online store orders will begin at 10am (EST I guess, it wasn't mentionned) the same day.

I think it's pretty fast to get a second shipment. Not that I'm complaining though. I want MY Wii !!

FELIPE NO

---------------{ Currently playing }--
... Nothing.... really.

-----------------------{ Last rips }--
Trauma Center New Blood (Wii)
Trauma Center Second Opinion (Wii)
Planet Puzzle League (DS)

---{ Currently in ripping progress }--
Dragoneer's Aria (PSP)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (DS)

-----------{ Other stuffs about me }--
My VGM Collection
(last update: mar. 03, 2008)

--------------------------------------
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 03:44 PM #1320 of 1979
The minor stores here had a restocking on Monday and put a few up, then they put the rest out on Tuesday... they were all sold out by the time I got there of course.

The main stores like Best Buy and Toys R Us are supposed to get a third shipment on Friday for the Black Friday sale and what not.

Someone will probably get killed trying to get a Wii fighting off all the rush.

Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:18 PM Local time: Nov 23, 2006, 09:18 AM #1321 of 1979
Originally Posted by http://www.verdicts.co.uk/computer_games/articles/article-67.html
The Wii launch in the US saw many thousands of happy Nintendites walk home as proud new owners of their consoles, but were a smidge disappointed when they found their free copy of Wii Sports tucked inside of a paper sleeve.

The debate has been brewing here in the UK over whether or not Wii Sports will be bundled in the same manner. Rumours are that downloadbale, printable cover artwork will be available, so that miffed-off fans can keep their game safe inside a hard-backed case.

We wanted the final answer for you guys, and have asked Nintendo's primary PR contact how the game will be supplied with the console. Their reply was as follows:

''In the US [Wii Sports] comes in a cardboard sleeve - in the UK a hard case.''
Nintendo America's pretty cheap.

Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 06:43 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 05:43 PM #1322 of 1979
Curses. I want a hard cover. Do you think they'll change it by March '07?

Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 07:36 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 09:36 PM #1323 of 1979

Same, The game is simply amazing whether you have the component cables or not. Also, wasn't there a review from either IGN or someone else that said with the use of Component cables, it actually made things look alittle worse because you could see lots of jaggies?

speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 07:44 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 06:44 PM #1324 of 1979
Originally Posted by BlueMikey
Has anyone heard of any stores getting restocked yet? I still call the few within a short driving distance around me each day at lunch, but have had no luck.
Gamespot had an article that stated that Gamestop had already been restocked, but that is false I called and they had none. When I stopped in there on Monday they said they would get more Wii's in 2 weeks.

"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Nov 22, 2006, 07:48 PM Local time: Nov 22, 2006, 05:48 PM #1325 of 1979
Looks like the component cables aren't shipping on the 28th. They have now been delayed until December 18th.

http://store.nintendo.com/webapp/wcs...rderTotal=null

I am extremely disappointed right now.

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Wii] Official Nintendo Wii thread