Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 65 Voting/WEEK 66 Nominating

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:06 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 05:06 PM #26 of 74
Really? I can't find it in the wiki or on the archive board. If someone can confirm that it really has participated before, I'll make a different nomination.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 10:54 AM #27 of 74
Originally Posted by Aardork
Really? I can't find it in the wiki or on the archive board. If someone can confirm that it really has participated before, I'll make a different nomination.
Yes, I remember the tune, and complaining that it wasn't very jazzy. I was psyched at the idea of an Anachronox song (it's a game I always wanted to play), but disappointed at the end result.

I wonder why it's missing from the wiki though?

Most amazing jew boots
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:09 AM #28 of 74
It's dated back to Week 46. The archive on the wiki starts from Week 48. I actually thought the whole history of SoTW was stored somewhere in the archives of Gamingforce, at least I think I once saw it there.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:16 AM #29 of 74
But it didn't win, and no rule expressly forbids losing tracks from being nominated again. There's always been a nebulous code of honor thing against it, but as Aardark's never participated before, he understandably wouldn't know.

This said, I've no arguments with allowing Bricks (Jazzy Final) into SotW again. If anything, it'd be an interesting experiment to see what the occasional renomination can cause.

Of course, Aardark's allowed to change the nomination too.

I was speaking idiomatically.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:24 AM #30 of 74
I'd prefer if he didn't renominate Bricks, for simplicity's sake (though it is up to him--this sort of test can get the nebulous rules codified). Maybe another Anachronox track?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:29 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 12:29 AM #31 of 74
Sorry Aardork, but I nominated Bricks Jazzy Final last time. While I think it's possible to nominate it again since it didn't place, I don't think it's encouraged since the song has had it's time to shine. Nominating other tracks from the game rip shouldn't be a problem, though.

The doctor has a point about Musashi. When I nominated "Temple of the Ancients" eons ago (most of my other nominees didn't make the cut) I was kind of worried, too, because of potential popularity issues. The soundtrack was kind of grey for me in terms of popularity. No objections at the time and BSC hadn't started so I didn't think too much about it.

Would a swap with Dhsu's nomination or KyleDunamis' potential nomination solve the problem (assuming they fit in with the rest of the line-up in terms of percussive merits)? Besides, I don't think anyone else will like "Temple of the Ancients." It's kind of ambient and minimalistic so...

In any case, here are my votes! Too tired to comment much but this week was really nice. It's also good to return back to SotW!

(2 points) Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu

(2 points) Raystorm - SLAUGHTER HOUR (AREA7)

(2 points) Max Payne 2 - The Fall of Max Payne (Game Rip) - Max's Choice - Duty Vs. Passion

Much too hard to pick a clear winner this week; they're all too good.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 11:35 AM Local time: Aug 24, 2006, 06:35 PM #32 of 74
Okay guys, I see. I think I'll nominate a different Anachronox track then; I just have to decide which one.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 12:55 PM #33 of 74
Here, I've got a nomination. Just copy/pasting this info from the track I downloaded, so I hope it's all actually correct.

Thunder Force Sound Track -Lost Technology- <Hyakytaro Tukumo> - [12] Cyber Cave

Jam it back in, in the dark.
mrman1
Carob Nut

Member 1435

Level 4.76

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 06:29 PM #34 of 74
Gotta update my nomination queue:

Blaster Master - Blasting Again
"Rush Boy -Theme from Roddy-"
Catalog Number KWCD-2002

(this same track is featured in XA format on the PS1 CD-ROM)

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Aug 24, 2006, 09:51 PM #35 of 74
Have to make it quick this time around...Yeah, Baba's going to win and it's a hell of a song, but it's not quite good enough to top anything from Wonder Boy 3, especially not "Last Dungeon" (actually this was the first dungeon...The game starts off with the last dungeon from the previous game, which this is actually a remix of).

1st-Last (First?) Dungeon
2nd-Baba Yetu
3rd-Punk Cyborg Battle 1

Looking forward to rhythm week!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...

Last edited by Golfdish from Hell; Aug 24, 2006 at 10:42 PM.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:45 AM #36 of 74
Good to be back folks. Very nice week.

(3 points) Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu: Me and everyone else on the Baba Yetu bandwagon. Reminds me of Uncharted Waters Online - South African Ocean -- and that's a very good thing.

(2 points) Max Payne 2 - The Fall of Max Payne (Game Rip) - Max's Choice - Duty Vs. Passion: Shades of Metal Gear Solid, but the lead instrument adds its own spin. Murky, techno-ambient stuff.

(1 point) Namco GSE Vol.10 Cyber Sled - Be warped time: Impressive for 1994.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 04:08 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 01:08 AM #37 of 74
3 points - Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Sega Master System Game Rip) - The Last Dungeon
2 points - Civilization IV Official Soundtrack - Baba Yetu
1 point - Raystorm - SLAUGHTER HOUR (AREA7)

Nomination:

Album: Drag-On Dragoon Original Soundtrack Vol. 2
Artists: Takayuki Aihara, Nobuyoshi Sano
Title: Twelfth Chapter Sky
Track Number: 15
Year: 2003
MJCG-80137

Note 1 - This is not a nomination for Drag-On Dragoon 2 but for the less known second volume of the score for the first game.
Note 2 - Your ears are already raped just thinking about Twelfth Chapter Sky. At this point I don't have much of a track record to save, I am without inhibition.

Snowdjinn
Wark!

Member 4051

Level 2.97

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 08:53 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 06:53 AM #38 of 74
i nominate

Loaded - track 6
Playstation
i dont know much more than that.

How ya doing, buddy?
SonicPanda
You're lying, dammit! And I can prove it!

Member 5153

Level 23.81

Apr 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:47 AM #39 of 74
Out of curiosity, how do 'special weeks' come about? This is the second one to come up since I got into Song of the Week, and it seems like planning for both whizzed by before I knew anything about them. Is it invitation-only?

FELIPE NO
DAMN good coffee!

September 2007: Waiting for Godot...
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:06 AM #40 of 74
Can I nominate now even though i'm at the bottom of the queue? If so then this is my next one:

Album: Kirby's Dreamland 2 (gamerip)
Title: King Dedede Battle
Source: Well I can upload it again if needed

Pretty much all I know about the song.

ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:13 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 05:13 PM #41 of 74
As usually, I'm too lazy for making any comments. I' looking fordward to see that special week!

2 points - Punk Cyborg Battle 1

2 points - Last (First?) Dungeon

2 points - Baba Yetu

There is also a remake of "last dungeon" in Monster World III (or maybe IV)

And my nomination (I'll upload it soon, but not now ^^U):

Album: Scarlett OST
Artists: nekoneko software
Title: Already settled down...
Track Number: 15
Year: 2006

Additional info: http://www.din.or.jp/~nekoneko/game.htm, this is the most recent game from the aka creators. Those chicks in the page look really hot, by the way!

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by ikkei; Aug 25, 2006 at 11:17 AM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 11:20 AM #42 of 74
Originally Posted by SonicPanda
Out of curiosity, how do 'special weeks' come about? This is the second one to come up since I got into Song of the Week, and it seems like planning for both whizzed by before I knew anything about them. Is it invitation-only?
The way this theme week worked was thus: Drakken had the idea and asked the powers that be if it were okay. When they said yes, he solicited participants from regular SoTW posters via PM.

I submitted a total of three tracks; two were rejected for being "not percussive enough."

Finally, the SoTW crew tinkered with the queue to place all theme week competitors in the same week. As far as I know, this was more or less the way things worked for the earlier theme week (Follin Week) too.

How ya doing, buddy?
Aardark

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 12:51 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 07:51 PM #43 of 74
I decided that I'll leave Anachronox for another week, so here's my new nomination:

Stronghold (PC) (2001) (game rip) — Under An Old Tree (Robert Euvino)

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 05:53 PM #44 of 74
SonicPanda, to clarify, the theme weeks are created by 8 people deliberately withholding nominations and then all entering in at the exact same time, therefore all of their nominations are "new" and are put at the top of the list. This has been done before and probably will be done again just as long as it doesn't happen too often. And it actually can't, unless 16 people plan two back-to-back theme weeks.

Most amazing jew boots
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:35 PM #45 of 74
Well, inasmuch as there seems to be a definite trend in the votes and, barring the most miraculous turnaround ever, it seems that the following remark is a loooooong time in the coming.

Congratulations, Mo0

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 06:37 PM #46 of 74
I guess it's MoO's first #1? Congratulations. Now all I have to do is get a #1.... oh wait, MY getting one would be a sign of the apocalypse.

And I feel like changine my nom to something I nominated before but pulled in favor of something else.

* Album/Game Title: Tengai Makyou ~ The Apocalypse IV Original Sound Track
* Artist: Toshiyuki Sasagawa
* Track Title: The Twelve Apostles Battle
* Source: http://chudahs-corner.com/soundtrack...log=SSCX-10006
* Disc Number: 2
* Track Number: 34
* Catalog Number: SSCX-10006
* Year: 1997

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by KyleDunamis; Aug 25, 2006 at 06:42 PM.
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 07:04 PM Local time: Aug 25, 2006, 06:04 PM #47 of 74
Punk Cyborg Battle 1 is pretty cool. I enjoy the variety and energy that it has to offer. Probably one of the stronger tracks this week.

I have mixed feelings about Baba Yetu. On one hand, the melody is quite awesome. But then again, I'm finding it pretty hard to warm up to the vocals for some reason. It's not that I hate vocals either... I remember liking a few African vocal tracks from other games, but for some reason I'm having trouble enjoying these. The non-vocal portions are nice though.

I don't think Desert is nearly as bad as some wrote. It starts off a little bland and repetitive, but it develops into something enjoyable later on. The track also suits the nature of a desert well, in my opinion. I imagine that it works great in context.

Max's Choice - Duty vs. Passion is another decent track with a nice melody. However, it seems unremarkable when compared to other tracks this week. Dunno, I guess the melody is slightly weaker. Definitely not a bad track, though.

I have mixed feelings on Be warped time, too. It's a fairly interesting tune, but part of it comes off as trying too hard (not sure how else to describe it, roffel), and I get the feeling that I'd be annoyed if I listened to the track on repeat for a while. Not bad though.

King Leo's Theme (Arranged Version) is short and sweet. I wish that the track would do more or last longer somehow, but it's easy to appreciate it for what it is. Nothing totally impressive, but I enjoy it.

SLAUGHTER HOUR (AREA 7) doesn't sound very much like a slaughtering tune, lawl. Pretty enjoyable though; I enjoy the electronic style combined with a few, uh, softer elements. :x Since the main melody is portrayed in a smoother way, I find it easier to enjoy this track than I do to enjoy Be warped time.

The Last Dungeon is an awesome and catchy oldskool tune. The melody's even better than the other chiptune track this week (Punk Cyborg Battle 1), in my opinion. Definitely the best that the week has to offer, in my opinion.

3 Points ~ Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap (Sega Master System Game Rip) - The Last Dungeon
2 Points ~ Air Zonk (Game Rip) - Punk Cyborg Battle 1
1 Point ~ Raystorm - SLAUGHTER HOUR (AREA7)

FELIPE NO
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 09:39 PM #48 of 74
Originally Posted by Crash Landon
Well, inasmuch as there seems to be a definite trend in the votes and, barring the most miraculous turnaround ever, it seems that the following remark is a loooooong time in the coming.

Congratulations, Mo0
Thank you, agreed. It's been a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooong time coming.

Granted, I should've been disqualified from nominating after that horrendous track from Street Fighter 3. ;_;

But...

FINALLY! <3

Double Post:
Originally Posted by KyleDunamis
I guess it's MoO's first #1? Congratulations. Now all I have to do is get a #1.... oh wait, MY getting one would be a sign of the apocalypse.
I'm already a sign of the apocalypse! Get your own corner of the apocalypse!

Last edited by value tart; Aug 25, 2006 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:00 PM #49 of 74
'Grats on the (presumed) win! Add to that the fact that, unless I'm mistaken, Mo0 also appears to have the highest margin of victory in SoTW history.

I do find it a little hard to beleive that such beauty could be nominated by the same soul who unleashed the gibbering madness of that Street Fighter track upon unsuspecting voters, yea, like the plagues of old

Most amazing jew boots
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2006, 10:06 PM #50 of 74
Which Street Fighter 3 track was it anyway? Was it a third strike track?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 65 Voting/WEEK 66 Nominating