Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Halo Reach: Ghosts of GFF

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:04 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2010, 11:04 AM #401 of 1108
So why can't they email their AI's or take backups?

Serious question, I've never read any of the wider material and it always seemed like a massive plot hole to me. Why would MC bother going into the Flood infested ship to get her back rather than just getting the backup disk from last week and reinstalling her?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:34 AM #402 of 1108
Because:

1) It would have been a terrible idea to leave an AI as brilliant as Cortona in the hands of The Gravemind
2) Her Data Crystal Chip is physically needed for portability.

as for the copying thing, Cortana has the ability to create copies of herself, but they are imperfect and not capable of the complexities that she is. She's done it before, and the copies at one point started creating copies of themselves and things got kind of ugly. I'd imagine they haven't touched upon (or tried) creating physical backups or copies of the original AIs because of some unknown difficulties involved. Smart AIs themselves are only made by copying (and destroying in the process) the brains of living human beings. Thus, you'd be making a copy of a copy and awww shit's getting rampant

(Fun fact: Cortana was created from one of twenty attempts to create an AI from the flash-cloned brain of Dr. Halsey)

There's nowhere I can't reach.

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Aug 20, 2010 at 05:37 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:27 AM 1 #403 of 1108
why the fuck is Tails an expert on this

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:31 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2010, 02:31 PM #404 of 1108
Before you insist on countering with more "yeah but still" Shin, AIs are pretty rare and "fragile" in the Halo universe. They prefer VIs because AIs are prone to start doing stuff on their own and going nuts. This is why when an AI does get made, they are designed to die out in, was it three years? I think.

Anyway, because AIs are complex and delicate creations, they're not only files on a harddrive, and can't be copied or the copies would deteriorate. And AIs with deteriorating thought process are a no-no.

And you really should read some of the books, they're pretty good. Especially Fall of Reach. They also explain a lot of the stuff you're wondering about.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:38 AM #405 of 1108
why the fuck is Tails an expert on this
Because I read all the novels as they came out~

This is why when an AI does get made, they are designed to die out in, was it three years? I think.
"Smart" AI's have around a seven year (lol Bungie) life cycle before they start to go crazy nuts. "Dumb" AI have none.

e: oh and seconding that read the books sentiment. They're pretty neat!

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen

Last edited by Tails; Aug 20, 2010 at 06:46 AM.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:29 AM Local time: Aug 20, 2010, 06:29 PM #406 of 1108
why is Bungie so obsessed with the number seven? Everything is seven; worlds, members, years etc

no homo
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 11:40 AM #407 of 1108
Isn't Cortana the longest running non rampant (barely) A.I. by the end of Halo 3?

The whole rampancy shit isn't completely clear though because they don't seem to all go homicidal like with that one Sif? I think. She was still kidna helpful and I always got the impression that if Cortana did go rampant, she'd still side with MC. You know, the whole love/gf creepy thing which is kinda what happened to Sif as well (She fell in love with another A.I.).

FELIPE NO
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 05:08 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2010, 11:08 PM #408 of 1108
And you really should read some of the books, they're pretty good. Especially Fall of Reach. They also explain a lot of the stuff you're wondering about.
I've thought about it but having an ever growing collection of Black Library books, I fear that reading about Halo would just annoy me that Spartans aren't as cool as Space Marines.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:38 PM #409 of 1108
I've thought about it but having an ever growing collection of Black Library books, I fear that reading about Halo would just annoy me that Spartans aren't as cool as Space Marines.
The Halo books are pretty good and easy reads, although I freely admit that even though I love Halo and have never had much interest in 40k, Space Marines could beat the shit out of Spartans.

On a related note, my wife (and Amazon) is fucking awesome:

I still have the Halo Graphic Novel (the one that came out before 3), Ghosts of Onyx, Halo Legends (which I still haven't watched), and Red vs Blue Seasons 1-5 (which I still have only just started, if you even count that). So I believe that this now gives me all Halo media excluding the first Art of Halo (which I've now ordered off an Amazon seller for $3), the Art of Halo 3 (which is now ridiculously expensive and fuck that) and Red vs Blue Seasons 6-8 (which are coming out in a cheap boxset 9/14).

I'm going to have a busy first couple weeks of September

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 06:56 PM Local time: Aug 20, 2010, 05:56 PM 1 #410 of 1108
She is such an enabler.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 20, 2010, 07:29 PM #411 of 1108
WARNING IF YOU CARE: GAME IS LEAKED, HYPER-LETHAL STATUS CONFIRMED

There's apparently stuff floating about there about multiplayer and Firefight maps we haven't seen at all previously yet, but I'm tired and am not currently inclined to shift through hundreds of post on GAF and/or the internet in general, but if you really want to go find videos and whatnot you certainly can. I'll get on that sometime this weekend.

She is such an enabler.
YOU'RE AN ENABLER

FACE

Anyway, IGN has a look at the new Bungie.net stuff here. (Thanks to Shake for the link) Tons of pics and other stuff, seriously go check it out. Crazy crazy stuff like:
-stats broken down by playlist and game mode
-insane Facebook-esque integration; every time you take a screenshot it gets upload, the game/site recognizes every player who is in that screenshot, and tags them in it so you can pull them up via the screenshot being interactive on bungie.net and linking directly to profiles
-heat maps return, now including Firefight
-Can check you progress on Daily/Weekly Challenges on bungie.net
-They will be putting out some sort of API for this stuff

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 06:14 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2010, 01:14 PM #412 of 1108
Yeah shit is leaked and fucking /v/, i clicked on a thmbnail and it was the ending of Reach...

no homo
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 07:37 AM #413 of 1108
Yup, there are full videos and plot summaries of the ending and every cutscene out, apparently youtube is already a nightmare. Honestly I'm not super concerned with spoilers for the game, so while I'm not seeking them out it's not going to wreck my life if I get spoiled.

But yeah, if you care at ALL about Campaign spoilers, you basically need to disconnect your internet now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 09:18 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2010, 04:18 PM #414 of 1108
I kind of cared lol, I was really curious of how they were going to handle the ending.

Spoiler:
oh well atleast i was right about it. dont click if u dont want to know
Spoiler:
MC is in the end and oh so cliche but you save him.

no homo
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:33 AM #415 of 1108
Already had the ending spoiled for me twice today lol

I don't think anyone here super cares, but if you truly want to avoid spoilers, you need to stay off of Facebook, youtube, and basically any gaming site or board that exists. Like I said before, I'm fairly indifferent to spoilers on this one so it doesn't ruin my shit or anything, and in a way it's kind of a relief since now I don't have to try to tip-toe around for the next 3 weeks.

But yeah, looks like it goes down more or less like I (and most people) were guessing. Probably the only thing I would done differently

(MAJOR ENDING SPOILER):
Spoiler:
I would have liked to have had it end with Noble-6 dying via the planet getting glassed, either in the middle of fighting a bunch of dudes or just kinda waiting there for it to happen and looking up to the sky or something like that. Doing the MW 1/2 ending thing and getting stabbed in the face isn't bad though I suppose.

Also I'm not sure if anything has leaked regarding the Legendary ending, wonder what's different or added there.

FELIPE NO
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 10:56 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2010, 12:56 PM #416 of 1108
Thanks for putting in the spoiler tags there guys. I for one don't want to have the ending ruined/told to me. I'd prefer to see it myself.

Though, it's kinda sad but expected that people were able to grab the game and post all the ending stuff. Though, I would have expected it being leaked from the factory this time instead of from online.

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 11:04 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2010, 06:04 PM #417 of 1108
You only care about the mp?
Never been that big on the mp part of halo, always enjoyed (or well loved the first one, second was eeeeh third one was ok) the campaign part.

no homo
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2010, 12:12 PM #418 of 1108
No, I definitely care about the Campaign. In this particular case though we all know going in how this is going to end, so it was just more the particulars than anything. Like if Halo 3 had been spoiled for me I would have been pissed, but this is kinda eh since we know how everything ultimately ends, especially for Reach.

Additional Spam:
Well this is super interesting actually.

Speculation on something shown in the ending
Spoiler:
One of the leaked screenshots from the end (the last one I've seen) is just a white screen with the date July 7th 2589 on it. This is significantly after the events of Halo 3 (which ended in 2552). Setting up for MC to be woken up for the next Halo game?

Also in looking into this, I didn't realize that one of the Halo Legends shorts takes place 4 years after the end of Halo 3 with Cortana on the ship with MC still in cryostasis, with Cortana apparently finally going rampant.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by SailorDaravon; Aug 21, 2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:28 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2010, 04:28 PM #419 of 1108
Alright then, this is the thing that I was interested in seeing. Some of the users who have gotten the game have also fully unlocked their armory.

A user has posted a "Tour" video of the entire unlocked armory located here. While some options there are millions of, I was kinda disappointed to see that there wasn't more of some options.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 02:39 PM #420 of 1108
Nice. Rolling with the shoulders and chest that are retarded-big with knives on them would be hilarious.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 03:01 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2010, 10:01 PM #421 of 1108
rofl his final model looks so ridiculous. Atleast the battlefield will be different.
Pink Spartan coming like what (pause)

no homo
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:20 PM #422 of 1108
If anyone wants to be spoiled, someone is livestreaming Campaign right now:

Tyndis on Justin.tv

Game looks fantastic. Some people on GAF posted some character lines earlier that I won't spoil here. But I'll just say that it's a big improvement over the Halo 3 dialogue, and that these characters know what they're getting into, and leave it at that.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kyndig
Syklis Green

Member 2709

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 10:38 PM #423 of 1108
Looks pretty cool on the stream. I am now more inclined to get it than I previously was. Good job boy.

FELIPE NO
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2010, 11:14 PM #424 of 1108
WOW I can't believe how they

Spoiler:
killed Kat, lololol

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2010, 06:30 AM #425 of 1108
If you didn't catch it and don't give a fuck, here's a video the cutscene prior to the last level, some gameplay from the last bit, and the ending/credits (or at least I've been told, watching it now):

YouTube - Halo: Reach Ending + More

Tags
fucking armor lock, halo, halo reach

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Halo Reach: Ghosts of GFF