Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

So do you use your right or left thumb to press down the spacebar?

Vestin
Good Chocobo

Member 8812

Level 17.17

Jun 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:27 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 01:27 PM 1 #1 of 88
So do you use your right or left thumb to press down the spacebar?

No, I'm serious.

I usually use my left thumb, but I've had to change that to my index finger after my keyboard at work splits the spacebar in half making the left side a keyboard equivalent the back button in a browser. Who the hell needs a back button on their KEYBOARD? I mean, really.

And also, did you teach yourself to type or were you traditionally trained?

Myself, I was self-taught, and am also a testament to the fact that traditional training is bullshit. I can hang with a 65wpm when I'm copying off something else and an easy 75-80wpm when I'm just free-balling it so long as I'm comfortable with the keyboard. It does take me a bit of time to adjust to that.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Helloween
aguywholikestovideogames

Member 607

Level 33.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:36 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 03:36 PM #2 of 88
I use my right, and only my right thumb to hit the space-bar.

As far as training goes, many attempts were made to train me in school, but well up until grade 8 i was still hunting and pecking. After i started to use msn with alot more regularity, it just sort of came naturally to me. It might've had something to do with all the training i had, but i'm not sure.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 04:56 PM #3 of 88
While typing this post, it has become readily apparent that I use my right thumb to hit the space bar. My left thumb isn't even hovering over any keys actually. It's sort of hanging out between the space bar and the touchpad.

Traditional training in school computer classes was crap where I went. They taught us to use the home row keys with this typing program that had to have been invented by Satan himself. Since it hurt to stretch my small fingers to use the home row properly, I vowed never to use that method. Yes, I swore a vow over that. I was a strange child.

These days I can type just as quickly with no need to look at the keyboard as long as I'm somewhat familiar with it, but my fingers still don't hover over the home row.

Most amazing jew boots
Borg1982
One to be born...

Member 31

Level 20.43

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:08 PM #4 of 88
I am left handed (in writing) and used my right thumb to type this post.
I am right handed in baseball, for some reason.
I am left handed in billiards.
I am right legged in soccer.
I am right handed in hockey.
I am left handed in using a rifle.
I am weird.

I got "100 WPM" fast at typing in Jr. High because I basically taught myself.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:16 PM #5 of 88
I'm right thumb-ed. I taught myself how to touch type pre Jr. High using a basic "Typing Tutor" program for the Mac Classic (old school). Consequently, I just fooled around most of the time in typing class, playing sim city on the ancient Apple ]['s they had there. I remember that instructor being a real creepy pedo guy...

On a good day I can hit 120 WPM, but I'm averaging 100 WPM in day-to-day typing activities.

I'm keen on teaching myself an alternate key layout, such as Dvorak to see if I can improve my efficiency.

I was speaking idiomatically.
---
Hydra
Delicious and vitamin fortified.

Member 1243

Level 16.97

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:34 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 03:34 PM #6 of 88
Right thumb ... and I taught myself.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:05 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 04:05 PM #7 of 88
I took a typing class in high school and that taught me some basics about typing but all in all I taught myself how to type in the heyday of AOL chatrooms late last century.

Anyway, to answer the question: I never really paid attention to which thumb I used to press the space bar but now that I've been noticing I hit the button exclusively with my right thumb. I always thought it was a somewhat equal mix of both but just today I've been proven wrong. THANKS A LOT GFF.

FELIPE NO
PiccoloNamek
Lunar Delta Cybernetics

Member 704

Level 31.89

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:06 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 04:06 PM #8 of 88
Let's see. I'm going to type out a few... never mind, I used my right thumb for all of these spaces.

I also taught myself how to type. My hands and fingers flow freely around the keys. That is probably the reason I haven't been afflicted by CTS yet; no stress or pressure. I can easily approach 100WPM when I'm on a roll and typing directly from my mind. The kind of keyboard I'm using has a big effect on my speed, though. I cannot type nearly as quickly on this laptop keyboard as I can on a good rock-solid full-size keyboard. I never need to look at the keys.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by PiccoloNamek; Feb 12, 2007 at 06:12 PM.
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:11 PM #9 of 88
Weird. I started typing a sentence and realized I don't use my thumbs to do spacing. I think I use my left thumb if I'm having to put in numbers or something else that would require my right hand to be off the standard area. I apparently use my right index finger for pressing the spacebar.

I know I was taught to use my thumbs. Generic formal teaching will do that. I was taught in middle and high school that I had to type a certain way. As it is, I don't type that way. I have no idea why, though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:19 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 11:19 PM #10 of 88
I'll use either, depending on which is nearest at the time. The left dominates though.

Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:28 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 11:28 PM #11 of 88
typing? i've taken a normal typing class int he past (in which i was taught to place certain fingers on certain rows of keys), but i've never rea\lly conformed to that. I type at around 40 wpm anyway, so i don't think touchtyping will evber be somethign I need to work out.

Also I use my right thmb to hit the space bar, and my right hand to write, and my right hand for all board games and video game controllers.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:31 PM #12 of 88
Let's see. I don't know. It's hard to yes, I do. I use my right index finger too acro-nym. =o

I played with a few typing programs back when, but failed miserably at them all. It sucked that you had to have perfect accuracy, and if you fucked up, it'd freeze you there until you fixed the mistake. So you have to basically put a brake on your mind, reverse back, backspace and continue. It wastes so much time. There's proof-reading for a reason.;_;

I did the hunting and pecking thing until I got aim. Then I had to keep up with people, and I gradually grew familiar with the keyboard, and now I basically use homerow typing, kind of. I mean, I use it to position my hands, but otherwise, it's just I know where all the keys are. =o

Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 06:36 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 04:36 PM #13 of 88
I have a weird way of typing and I used my right hand's index finger to press the spacebar. The thing is, while most people think this would slow me down, I type faster than a majority of the people I know. With that said, I was obviously self-taught because no formal training would teach the use of the right index finger for space.

Roph
ヽ(ºДº)ノ

Member 63

Level 25.06

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:06 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 01:06 AM #14 of 88
I use and have always used my right thumb for pressing the spacebar.

I do it so much, my spacebar has a pretty impressive dint in it <3

Last edited by Roph; Feb 12, 2007 at 07:18 PM.
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:14 PM #15 of 88
Generally, I use my right thumb for the space bar. I also use my right pinky for the shift key more often. My left hand needs to get its act together. Though, my left hand does cover more keys, so I guess that makes up for it.

FELIPE NO
Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:29 PM Local time: Feb 13, 2007, 12:29 AM #16 of 88
I had to open up Notepad just to check that because you know I've never really noticed it before. Apparently I press space with my right thumb (being right-handed at everything except pool), but now I think about it I feel weird not using my left thumb. Cheers

I used a CD that came free with our '95 computer, Mavis Becon Teaches Typing. It was pretty damn good; whenever I use a computer people usually comment on how fast I'm typing (they don't take into account how many mistakes I'm making >.>), and apparently I type in the "correct" fashion, instead of using my first two fingers for everything. I'm not sure what it's called but an old teacher of mine commented on its apparent rareity.

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:32 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 07:32 PM #17 of 88
LOL O FUCK. I just noticed that I never use my thumbs when I type. I hit spacebar with my right index finger. I'm thinking about it as I type this and I'm fucking up HORRIBLY. Typos galore.

Weird, ehh? =D

Self-taught! I type casually and slow-like, but if I wanted to, I could bust 110WPM, I'm sure.

How ya doing, buddy?
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Last edited by Gechmir; Feb 12, 2007 at 07:38 PM.
knkwzrd
you know i'm ready to party because my pants have a picture of ice cream cake on them

Member 482

Level 45.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:35 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 06:35 PM #18 of 88
I had thought I used both, but after some quick testing I only use my right thumb.

Like most people here, I took a class but am basically self taught. I type about 45 words per minute, so really not that fast, but I don't need to be any faster than that. Suits my needs just fine.

starslight
if you want blood

Member 275

Level 17.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:37 PM #19 of 88
I only type with my left and right index fingers. I use my right for the spacebar. Never took any typing classes or anything and I'm good for about 65WPM.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by starslight; Feb 12, 2007 at 07:49 PM.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 07:39 PM #20 of 88
Right thumb always, and in additi on, right pinky for the Shift key since it really feels weird if I ever try to press space or shift with my left thumb or pinky respectively.

I make lots of two-letter typing mistakes that I always have to go back and fix, so I wish actually try to type the way we were encouraged to in elementary school. Although not whenever I try and type properly it's just plain awkward to type "properly".

Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:10 PM #21 of 88
I taught myself to type too. It's funny because people think I type ridiculously fast (120WPM last I checked on a typing program), probably partially due to the fact that I play piano...but I'm straying....

I will forever use my right thumb to hit the space bar. Reason being that my first keyboard was an odd one. It was fine and all, but the space bar was odd. It was two keys down there. The right thumb was the real space bar. The left thumb was a backspace key. I can use it just fine, but people who use strictly left thumb or people who switch back and forth hate my keyboard with a passion.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Dalkaen
hi i want to creat a 21 songs

Member 829

Level 16.35

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:28 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 08:28 PM #22 of 88
I don't really pay attention to what thumb I hit the spacebar with, but now that I'm typing something out, I realize that I always hit it my with my left thumb. Never my right. Odd. I'm right handed, and yet I seem to do the majority of the typing on the keyboard with my left hand. I believe I can type up to about 120 WPM, but I rarely get up that high in day-to-day typing. I vaguely recall taking a class in middle school, but I'm pretty much self-taught.

Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:31 PM #23 of 88
I'm a left-spacer. I have this weird tendency to leave my right thumb off the keyboard. The only time I'd ever use my right is if I were typing with my right hand only.

And i'm also self-taught... I never believed in typing with my pinky... I just thought of it as REALLY inconvenient... So I just use my ring, middle, and index fingers for typing and shift exclusively for my pinky.

FELIPE NO
Dullenplain
Life @ 45RPM

Member 2299

Level 38.16

Mar 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 08:58 PM Local time: Feb 12, 2007, 07:58 PM #24 of 88
I use my left thumb to hit the spacebar, my right thumb is off the keyboard, like Chaotic.

I'm primarily self-taught. I was in typing classes before, but they didn't really teach me anything of value. It's was only when I started using the keyboard more did I develop a method to typing which rests mostly on my near memorization of the letter locations and subconscious execution of common letter patterns.

As for other digits, my right little finger is exclusively for the enter and right shift key, my left little finger is exclusively for the letters "a" "z" and the left control key.

Classic J-Pop Volume 31
Add your location here at the ------> GFF Members Geographic Database
packrat
Mountain Chocobo

Member 8785

Level 28.07

Jun 2006

Old Feb 12, 2007, 09:19 PM #25 of 88
You know, I've never paid attention to which thumb I use.
This is more text to test how much I use either hand.
And this is a line of text using only my left thumb. It is made of awkwardness and deleted double spaces(since my right hand automatically presses the spacebar after each word).

Conclusion:
Right hand almost exclusively.

Also, I was completely self-taught in typing. I've never taken a class in my life, and I can out-type pretty much all of my friends(but that is to be expected with a computer nerd such as myself).

Most amazing jew boots

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > So do you use your right or left thumb to press down the spacebar?