Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] Best Comic to Movie Transition

JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:33 PM #26 of 50
My vote goes to Sin City because it dares to be different. The last 19 superhero comic movies I've watched in the last few years all have the same plot. Some ordinary dude gains super human abilities and it's his job to fight crime and avenge his mother/brother/sister/father/second cousin/girlfriend/family etc etc. Of all of them, The Punisher was the most enjoyable. I mean, if you're going to use such a recycled plot at least give me over the top violence.

Sin City however is just beautiful. Dark, violent and beautiful.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 12:51 PM #27 of 50
Originally Posted by JackyBoy
Some ordinary dude gains super human abilities and it's his job to fight crime and avenge his mother/brother/sister/father/second cousin/girlfriend/family etc etc.
As opposed to some ordinary dude saving a kid from a child molester, who later seeks his revenge against them both? I mean, one of the big points of Sin City is that it is a gigantic cliche.

Not that I'm knocking Sin City but after the story with Marv, the rest of it is a retread of a retread. The over-the-top violence and attempt to recreate Miller's white-on-black inkwork becomes tiring and stale after about an hour.

This doesn't mean that there aren't other Superhero movies that are stale, tired retreads - but for what it is, the movie is middle of the road.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Nov 13, 2006, 08:38 PM Local time: Nov 13, 2006, 07:38 PM #28 of 50
Originally Posted by Acro-nym
Disqualified for adding nothing to the thread.

Having had little exposure to the character, I would say that Punisher was a good representation of the character, despite being a little over the top.

I can tell from this thread that there are a lot of Frank Miller fans, what with all the Sin City suggestions and the few 300 guesses.
So, first Elektra, and then, despite little exposure to the character, you say Punisher was a good adaptation? Wow, for a guy with comics in his av/sig, who clearly thinks he knows a thing or two, you're really riding the bus to retard town.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

-Happy-
#comics To Your Face

Member 1844

Level 7.40

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 12:14 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 01:14 PM #29 of 50
I thought Sin City was the most faithful adaptation from comic to movie, but not necessarily the best movie. Generally you would have enjoyed the movie alot more if you had read and enjoyed the comic first. The first Spiderman movie was pretty enjoyable, and so was "Batman" and "Batman Begins". When I say Batman, I don't mean the franchise, rather, I meant the first movie because I don't know how in the 7 Hells Joel Schumacher managed to fuck up Batman & Robin & Batman Forever so badly. (Campy green flourescent raver bullshit)

Also, in the same vein, X3 was horrendously bad, I felt.

I was speaking idiomatically.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:43 AM #30 of 50
Originally Posted by -Happy-
Also, in the same vein, X3 was horrendously bad, I felt.
I don't think it was that bad. It just seemed as if it was trying to combine too many X-Universes into one and kinda missed a little. Maybe a lot, depending on how you look at it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:03 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 11:33 AM #31 of 50
for me, it would be the X-men transition. I thought they did really well with it, suprisingly well with Wolverine. but the best character transition was Patrick Stewart as Professor X

FELIPE NO

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 09:48 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 11:18 AM #32 of 50
Originally Posted by Balcony Heckler
for me, it would be the X-men transition. I thought they did really well with it, suprisingly well with Wolverine. but the best character transition was Patrick Stewart as Professor X
I would have to agree with this, Wolverine and Professor X came out very well. X3 wasn't bad per'se, but it could have been better. If there is a X4, I hope it will redeem it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 12:31 PM #33 of 50
Originally Posted by Chibi Neko
I would have to agree with this, Wolverine and Professor X came out very well. X3 wasn't bad per'se, but it could have been better. If there is a X4, I hope it will redeem it.
there is apparently, and all I need to say is the proposed title by the creators:

X4: Age of Apocalypse

Jam it back in, in the dark.

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:43 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 08:43 AM #34 of 50
Originally Posted by LeHah
I don't understand that statement in conjunction to the rest of this thread. Please restate.
Try understanding it in conjunction to your over-the-top, and in this case unnecessary, style of responding to people instead and you'll get it just fine.

Man, Age of Apocalypse sounds great. I hope they don't take Apocalypse look stupid though. What do you guys think about the Magneto and Wolverine spin-off movies coming up?

Shadow of Light
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 4943

Level 1.34

Apr 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 09:52 AM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 08:52 AM #35 of 50
While I certainly agree with you guys who have said Sin City, I'm gonna have to cast my vote for The Crow. While it didn't exactly follow the comic like a road map, it managed to capture its essence quite well.

You just have to forget that they made more after the first one. :P

Robiz
I bring nothing to the table

Member 47

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 11:45 AM #36 of 50
I think that Sin City was the best as far as getting it dead on the style of the comic but I think as far as interpretation goes I would have to go with V for Vendetta. This movie really captured the series well although they didn't adhere strictly to the comic itself. I thought the way they captured V was extremely unique and quite enjoyable.

How ya doing, buddy?
Can I borrow a feeling?
The Furious One
Good Chocobo

Member 8296

Level 16.17

Jun 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:03 PM Local time: Nov 19, 2006, 05:03 PM #37 of 50
Dare Devil :lolsign:

I have a few favourites Fist of the North Star Anime, Constantine, Superman, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Iron Man movie. I was so hoping he was the new superhero in smallville, but then I remembered he is Marvel :doh:

Xbox360 Desktop Wallpapers | My DeviantART | XboxLive Gamertag: Don Barracuda
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Nov 19, 2006, 12:58 PM #38 of 50
Originally Posted by The Furious One
I was so hoping he was the new superhero in smallville, but then I remembered he is Marvel
Small fact: Smallville was originally suppose to be a show about Bruce Wayne growing up, not Clark Kent.

Shorty
21. Arch of the Warrior Maidens

Member 2028

Level 30.81

Mar 2006

Old Dec 21, 2006, 04:10 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 02:10 AM #39 of 50
Originally Posted by Robiz
I think that Sin City was the best as far as getting it dead on the style of the comic but I think as far as interpretation goes I would have to go with V for Vendetta. This movie really captured the series well although they didn't adhere strictly to the comic itself. I thought the way they captured V was extremely unique and quite enjoyable.
I'm going to have to agree with this one. I actually liked the movies so much that I went back and read the comics later. I found that while Sin City was an artisticly true representation in terms of the movie being captured from the comic in an almost frame-by-frame motion, V for Vendetta was an actual interpretation presented from ink-on-paper to something live-action-motion-picture.

By the way, I am starting to love these comic representation movies; they ARE a lot of fun. 'Specially when going to a movie with all sorts of geeks who grew up reading these comics, since I didn't have that pleasure during my childhood. My boyfriend grew up reading good old fashion American Comic books like DC and Marvel while I grew up absorbing a whole library of Japanese mangas. So it's really interesting to go to a movie made from a comic; it's more fun when the people you go with are excited about it.

I don't know, I can think of a LOT of mangas that I wish were made into movies, but I can't think of any that would strike interesting to this community. Possibly maybe Battle Royale, but I didn't read the manga and the actual original creation was a novel, which was made into a movie, then the manga, so I dunno, seems a bit off the subject. :P

How ya doing, buddy?
Bradylama
Banned

Member 18

Level 51.14

Feb 2006

Old Dec 21, 2006, 05:41 AM Local time: Dec 21, 2006, 05:41 AM #40 of 50
V for Vendetta was a horrible transition. Maybe passable as a popcorn blockbuster, but when you look at the symbology, the order of events leading up to the Conservative takeover, and even V's ideology, it just falls flat on its face.

A couple characters were recreated faithfully, but not V. The movie presented V as a character who really was a monster whose ultimate goal was revenge. It leaves the question of Freedom Fighter, Terrorist, or Madman unanswered, but in the book it definitely was.

My vote goes to Spider Man 2. It didn't recycle the old adage to the point of nauseum and it presented Peter Parker the way he should be: a loveable nerd with superpowers.

parKbench
chunin

Member 17747

Level 13.94

Jan 2007

Old Jan 4, 2007, 09:24 PM #41 of 50
This might be off the subject a little bit, but has anyone seen the "Nana" movie? It is adapted from the Nana manga. I think that is totally like the manga. The character even look and dress just like in the manga. Plus, one of the characters in the manga is a singer in a band and they got like one of the number one j-pop singers in Japan to play that part. Pretty much ANY Japanese movie adaption is dead-on. It only seems to be the American movies that seem to stray from the comics. I guess the directors want to give the comic their own brand of "flavor". That's why it is such a rare occurance when an American comic-movie is faithful to the comic.

Although, Sin City REALLY was dead-on!

kinkymagic
I made more lousy pictures than any actor in history.

Member 1409

Level 16.87

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2007, 06:12 PM Local time: Jan 8, 2007, 11:12 PM #42 of 50
For me it's got to be 'Flash Gordon'. While Sin City was okay, I think the choice to use all the original dialogue meant the film suffered somewhat. The constant exposition may be need in a static comic book, but in the film it felt extremely heavy-handed. I didn't need the charcters to explain everything they said and did when their actions often spoke louder than words.

“When I slap you you'll take it and like it.”

Last edited by kinkymagic; Jan 8, 2007 at 06:28 PM.
Reznor
Good Chocobo

Member 336

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Feb 23, 2007, 08:07 AM #43 of 50
Dare Devil :lolsign:

I have a few favourites Fist of the North Star Anime, Constantine, Superman, and I'm really looking forward to seeing Iron Man movie. I was so hoping he was the new superhero in smallville, but then I remembered he is Marvel :doh:
Sorry, but GTFO now.
Constantine had to have been the best worst transition. Tell me, how does a wiseguy/smartass/cynical British sod go to being a fucking American from California who says "DUUUUUUUUUUUUUDE" a lot? Keanu sadly, was at his best in that film, but a lot of the changes, just to Americanize it, totally ruined it for me.
Still a good movie, but just... ugh.

Disqualified for adding nothing to the thread.

Having had little exposure to the character, I would say that Punisher was a good representation of the character, despite being a little over the top.
More like disqualified for not knowing a thing about the Punisher.

The Punisher movie, while amazingly fucking good (for a comic book movies), had some major drawbacks.

A) His daughter magically had a sex-change that affected the plot in absolutely no way. Plus, a few series arcs in the Punisher (Especially Volume 5 (MAX Print a la Steve Dillon and Garth Ennis)) dealt with not only the loss of his wife, but his daughter.
B) The fact that they jumbled two (three?) different story arcs from 'In the Beginning' (him killing his family's killers) and Volume 3 (his place of residence/the weirdos he lives with/giving them the loot).
C) The lack of over-the-topness. It's apparent you haven't read a Punisher comic if you think that the movie is over the top.
D) The fact that MOST of the gore was cut out, entirely, to get a lame ass PG13 rating. I'm sorry, but I grew up reading the Punisher, it was not as violent as I had hoped. =/
E) Go read the fucking books.

At least they've greenlighted the sequel and Thomas Jane was saying that it will be much more violent and faster paced than the first movie (since quite a chunk of the plot is now out of the way). Here's praying for an 'R' rating and headshots galore.

Also, take a guess what my favourite comic book movie is.
Hint: Ends with 'unisher'

And sadly, I find myself agreeing with LeHah's movies and points for a change, at least when it comes to The Phantom, Ghost World, and Road to Perdition. However the last two, weren't really "comic books" (super-geekery) so much as graphic novels.

Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 02:27 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 02:27 PM #44 of 50
In all fairness, and I hate to bring this all back up, but the Punisher with Thomas Jane has to be infinately times better plot wise, and comic book adaptation wise than the one with Dolph Lungdren or however you spell it.

I don't remember much about the 'original' movie back in the 90's...just the yakuza scene and one where he lives in a sewer (rite?) but while it's funny to watch Dolph mumble all his lines, I think the newer version takes the cake.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 06:01 AM #45 of 50
More like disqualified for not knowing a thing about the Punisher.
That would've made more sense if this post dealt with the original item that was response toward.

Quote:
A) His daughter magically had a sex-change that affected the plot in absolutely no way. Plus, a few series arcs in the Punisher (Especially Volume 5 (MAX Print a la Steve Dillon and Garth Ennis)) dealt with not only the loss of his wife, but his daughter.
I'm not sure why they changed the child's gender either. Maybe it was done to parallel Castle killing Howard Saint's son. But I don't consider it an important enough aspect of the character to complain about it.
Quote:
B) The fact that they jumbled two (three?) different story arcs from 'In the Beginning' (him killing his family's killers) and Volume 3 (his place of residence/the weirdos he lives with/giving them the loot).
How is this a drawback? Because within the confines of the movie, it works, unlike another comic book movie I know that tries to tie together three different story arcs.
Quote:
C) The lack of over-the-topness. It's apparent you haven't read a Punisher comic if you think that the movie is over the top.
I don't think the movie is over the top. I think it's over the top in portions, most notably at the end of the climax.
Quote:
D) The fact that MOST of the gore was cut out, entirely, to get a lame ass PG13 rating. I'm sorry, but I grew up reading the Punisher, it was not as violent as I had hoped. =/
I don't think the use of gore was necessary in the instances that it wasn't used. I can hardly imagine what I would've thought if they had actually shown all those piercings being removed.
Quote:
E) Go read the fucking books.
No.

Last edited by Acro-nym; Mar 12, 2007 at 04:46 PM.
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:30 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2007, 03:30 PM #46 of 50
Reznor, if you have a problem with the lack of violence in the Punisher movie, feel free to pick up the uncut version of the movie that's out now. Doesn't add much, only about 15 minutes of footage, but it might be a good taste of what you're looking for.

Angry Willow
Carob Nut

Member 13707

Level 4.40

Oct 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 10:57 AM #47 of 50
I'd have to say my favorite comic book adaptation of all time would have to be "Nick Fury" starring David Hasselhoff. The Hoff is the shit in that movie.

Spoiler:
I'm kidding! Don't believe that for a second. It was the worst movie ever.

I actually liked Ghost Rider. Sure, there were some changes, but after reading a few of the comics, the movie was pretty faithful, minus some Hollywood additions.

FELIPE NO
IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:25 AM #48 of 50
Small fact: Smallville was originally suppose to be a show about Bruce Wayne growing up, not Clark Kent.
It shocks me to see all of these comic fans passing up something as stupid as this. I know LeHah is banned, but I still think he/she reads the forums.

Smallville was not supposed to be about Bruce Wyane growing up because he lived in a mansion on the outskirts of Gotham City. Yet, Clark Kent was found and rasied in Smallville, Kansas. Granted those that make the show are not that bright, they know if they would have dont something like that there would have been alot of bitching.

As for adaptation.

I am gonna go with a top 3.

1. Spider-Man 2 (or the series so far)
2. Sin-City
3. 300

The other super hero movies I liked, but some I wouldnt call an adaptation for the fact of allt he things that where changed or left out. I dont call the theatrical X-Men series an adaptation at all do to Bryan Singer addmiting to have never read an X-Men comic till he started the project. This is probably what makes it one of the better comic/superhero movies to date.

I don't know, I can think of a LOT of mangas that I wish were made into movies, but I can't think of any that would strike interesting to this community. Possibly maybe Battle Royale, but I didn't read the manga and the actual original creation was a novel, which was made into a movie, then the manga, so I dunno, seems a bit off the subject. :P
There will be an americanized version of BR coming out in theaters 2008. Hopefully the "hard R" rating is added and that movie gets it. I loved the novel, and the movie was great, the manga actually gave it a diffrent look. It gave more back story to alot of the characters, not so get emotionally attached, but just to see what was ticking in the back of their head while they started to "play the game". Right now I am hoping to find BR2 some where, but thats a hard one.

Last edited by IdentikitOfEyes; Mar 15, 2007 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Battle Royale is doubleplus good
Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 11:50 AM #49 of 50
Smallville was not supposed to be about Bruce Wyane growing up because he lived in a mansion on the outskirts of Gotham City. Yet, Clark Kent was found and rasied in Smallville, Kansas. Granted those that make the show are not that bright, they know if they would have dont something like that there would have been alot of bitching.
If the idea LeHah referenced had gone through, it wouldn't have been called Smallville.

IdentikitOfEyes
Banned

Member 13258

Level 9.89

Sep 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 07:10 PM #50 of 50
I know, I was just trying to figure out why there was no call on that till now. If there was a comics 101 course, that would be in the mid term.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] Best Comic to Movie Transition