Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Videogame advertising

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 08:28 PM #1 of 10
Videogame advertising

Yeah... soo stole someone's thunder from another forum with this one which shall remain nameless but it hasn't been done here so I thought I'd give it a shot.

The modern videogame adverts are infamous for often not actually showing ANY ingame footage at all, whereas the classics were the worst for cheesy concepts (nintendo rap anyone?) wtf moments or catchphrases to sell it like "genesis does what nintendon't!" The point of this thread is to share your favorite adverts, discuss the whole way games are advertised and what they do wrong and right in your opinion.

I'll find more later but for now I'll start the ball rolling with this classic commercial video of failure on SEGA's part at dissing... well you'll see...

You are not worthy? lol...

Spoiler:
if what they say on this is true, the Saturn must have been hard to specifically code games for, while still making full use of all that power it boasted and/or it was ahead of it's time... kinda reminds me of another console still yet to truly prove itself but I'll say no more on that subject =P

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by S_K; Apr 12, 2007 at 03:33 PM. Reason: added spoiler
Billy
City of Heroes is the pwnzrs.

Member 21791

Level 3.09

Apr 2007

Old Apr 13, 2007, 08:54 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 02:54 PM #2 of 10
Ummm...

Well.. it started cruddy when they said that they had a long district of creating 'cool' arcade games. and most of the games were jokey. It's like doing a 'big head mode' cheat.. but the heads are always gigantic.
- - - - -
I reckon the only good game on the Nintendo was something to do with mario. Where he's in a castle or something and kills stuff. That was fairly cool for those days..

There's nowhere I can't reach.

- - - - -
世界是一個討厭的地方. 不要轉動你的後面. - The world is a nasty place. Never turn your back.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 11:47 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 04:47 PM #3 of 10
Sorry I must have phrased this thread badly I just wanted to talk about game adverts in general I was just over analyzing my example that's all ^^;

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 12:59 PM #4 of 10
After watching some random commercials at GH, I can safely say that I love the Japanese commercials I've seen so far. My favourite is the katamari one:

Katamari Damacy (Japanese)
It's humorous, transcends language, and shows only 2 seconds of in-game footage. The concept is so simple though, that it doesn't need to show any more than that.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 01:38 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 11:38 AM #5 of 10
I already shared a couple of advertisements in the thread at SB, but here are a couple from the earlier years of Nintendo.

CEREAL!

This would be the first time a commercial made me wonder what the cereal it was advertising tasted like. It's probably corrugated cardboard flavored, but it still made people walk and jump around with TV's on their heads, so it can't be all bad!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure if the previous commercial qualifies for this thread since I guess it's technically advertising cereal rather than a video game, so I'll go ahead and supply another.

HUEG Mario

Nostalgia, ahoy! Gotta get dat bandwagon appeal.

I was speaking idiomatically.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 03:27 PM Local time: Apr 13, 2007, 08:27 PM 1 #6 of 10
Nice to see this thread is starting to get some good posts now I was going to show you guys some of the lol UK adverts I remember but the only one I could find was this

how'd he do that...

I remember the guy with the weird glasses was in a lot of Sega adverts (like mocking a roadkill hedgehog puppet on a sonic 2 advert for example) and most of them were pretty high on the wtf scale

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Apr 15, 2007, 01:41 PM #7 of 10
None of the old cheesy commercials really interest me, so sorry if these are too new. I'm sucker for anything with multiple languages in the advertising. It gives me the idea that marketing is trying to attract a global audience, anyone who can speak one of these languages will know what is being said for even just a segment, and it creates a sense of familiarity, at least prompting a little interest.

Forza Motosport Commercial

FELIPE NO
Amayirot Akago
WRYYYYYYYYY!!

Member 12969

Level 21.07

Sep 2006

Old Apr 15, 2007, 01:48 PM Local time: Apr 15, 2007, 07:48 PM #8 of 10
Not specifically for a videogame, but videogame related:
Final Fantasy XII Potion

Most amazing jew boots

Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:03 AM Local time: Apr 17, 2007, 01:03 AM #9 of 10
Haha wow, never seen that one! Very Mad Max-ish. =D I loved Sega's pre-Saturn advertising era.

Fits easily into ANY tackle box

YOU LOOK LIKE A REAL JERK

Nintendo Australia had some really fantastic MASSIVE adverts to help launch the Nintendo 64, but they're nowhere to be found on the interwab. This is a recent favorite though (unless they just ripped it off from the UK and stuck the Aussie box at the end, I'm not sure!)

Brain Age of 178

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Infernal Monkey; Apr 16, 2007 at 10:10 AM.
ctu
...and... loving it

Member 439

Level 19.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2007, 10:26 AM #10 of 10
I already shared a couple of advertisements in the thread at SB, but here are a couple from the earlier years of Nintendo.

CEREAL!

This would be the first time a commercial made me wonder what the cereal it was advertising tasted like. It's probably corrugated cardboard flavored, but it still made people walk and jump around with TV's on their heads, so it can't be all bad!

Anyway, I'm not exactly sure if the previous commercial qualifies for this thread since I guess it's technically advertising cereal rather than a video game, so I'll go ahead and supply another.
I just have to say I HATE YOU for reminding me of a great cereal that they don't make anymore I soo wish I could have a bowl right about now

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Videogame advertising