Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

WOMEN

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 03:46 PM #1 of 25
WOMEN

I like to draw. I have a fairly distinct style of drawing people; it's a little "sketchier" than your typical realism, sometimes even a bit cartoony.

Here is my old page (last update over a year ago). Forgive my lack of html skills and rusty photoshoppery. I've done some other shit since then, but I gots to scan it.

I'm putting this thread up because I'm finally feeling creative again, and I think it would be cool to take requests. I helped my brother's friend out with a school project a while ago and really enjoyed working within some limited guidelines. I do draw originals, but I'm not sure if any of that will go up (with the exception of requests).

Anyway, I figured the board could use something outside the typical anime or comic book style. Enjoy.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:15 PM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 07:15 PM #2 of 25
Well, how about a realistic version of Fancy Mel? :D

There's nowhere I can't reach.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Why Am I Allowed to Have Gray Paint
Fookin' Prawns!

Member 56

Level 24.48

Mar 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 09:32 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 02:32 AM #3 of 25
These are good.

Anyway, I figured the board could use something outside the typical anime or comic book style. Enjoy.
...agreed.

How ya doing, buddy?
aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Jan 23, 2007, 11:20 PM #4 of 25
I love that you could do both realistic and anime. My favorite is the one of Adriana Lima. Yum P:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:22 AM #5 of 25
^ Just checked out your thread--very good stuff. Since I mostly draw what I see with my eyes, I'm always impressed with those who can draw what they see in their heads. =D

I'm glad you guys actually recognize some of them. XD I'm sure you noticed I don't actually finish most pictures...it's part of my style I guess. =P

Now, here are some more recent ones. I've been going through a comic book phase. I was also drawing in pen for a while, just because I liked the finality of every stroke. These were much more creative pieces for me, since they were only loosely based on actual women. I know my scanner's dirty, you don't have to tell me.

One.
Two.
Three.
Four.

Additional Spam:
Well, how about a realistic version of Fancy Mel?
I will attempt this. I've only "downmixed" so to speak, so this will be a (welcome) challenge.

Apparently I'm not allowed to spam my own thread. ;_;

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Will; Jan 24, 2007 at 12:36 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 12:48 AM #6 of 25
You've gotten down facial structures. Those beautiful eyes, lips, etc. Now you'll have to work on anatomy and proportions. In all of these, their heads are too big for their bodies. You start off with too small shoulders, and it just gets smaller as you go down.

If you've used reference could we see them? It might help make mistakes more apparent. Or you could simply place your version of the picture over your reference. Just take down the opacity, and see the differences.

SHoulders usually mean three heads across, or two heads + neck. Somewhere around there.

Here's just an example with photoshop's lovely transform tool. I obviously made her head smaller. Then I lengthened her body, and made her hips wider.

edit://Oh I just saw your edited post. Thank you~ I use refs in a lot of my pictures too though.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by aiyaitsai; Jan 24, 2007 at 01:36 AM.
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:29 AM Local time: Jan 23, 2007, 11:29 PM #7 of 25
What does "downmixed" means?

Most amazing jew boots
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Frostblade
Wark!

Member 676

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 01:51 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 04:51 PM #8 of 25
Nice work, beautiful eyes and lips for sure.

I want to show you some links:

http://acid.noobgrinder.com/Loomis/
There are some pdf's there to look at for some general guides for body drawing.

http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7
Also some threads here that have people displaying life drawings and they have the construction lines to show work flow, might give you some ideas on how to avoid the shoulders being too small.

I find that if you use a ruler to keep track of the ratio it is less likely to look off. Also remember to have a break from it and look at it like it was on a wall to really take in what is wrong and right from a distance.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:06 AM #9 of 25
Actually I don't think a ruler is best. I mean proportions and slight guides all right, but when you break it down to having crazy guides and rules it just kills it. I was in a freshmen class for beginner's anatomy and proportions, and they had so many rules but that's just now the thing in real life. Uhh easier way to say that would be: understand general terms. General measurements. Like how chefs just know how much and don't need the measuring cup.

Yes, it depends on the artist's eye, and it's also good to step back and look at it from a distance (I find that when I draw and then scan it in, the thumbnail my comp gives makes my mistakes a LOT more apparent). Also remember not to draw from an angle. Try your best to look directly down at it, not slanted or having your sketchbook on an uneven surface.

Loomis. Is. God. Damn Frostblade, I love you forever for that link-- I lost the one I went to way back when. :<

edit://quickquickquick gesture drawings are good for understanding anatomy and how the body works (bend, curves, etc). Speedsketching, too.

edit2://Feeling guilty for so many damn posts. To comment on Devoxycontin's post, I like model proportions. And since you seem to like models as well. 8 - 10 heads. I think a Barbie doll is 10. Mayyybe 11. (Don't ask me why I know that.)

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by aiyaitsai; Jan 24, 2007 at 02:21 AM.
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:25 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 12:25 AM #10 of 25
Good stuff. Your referenced work is really quite good, but it could stand to be a little more finished. (In the case of the Elisha Cuthbert portrait, since you didn't finish the face it makes me think you were focused...elsewhere.)

Your non-referenced "comic" style stuff suffers from some serious proportion issues though.

Most amazing jew boots
Magi
Big Trouble

Member 541

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:27 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 12:27 AM #11 of 25
You don't need a ruler. Just remember a body is typically 7 1/2 heads tall.
It really depends. There are plenty of 5-6 head tall adults. There are other characteristic that can determent rough age of a individual, but variability in terms of heights goes a long way to distinguish individual's body type from another as far as empirical method goes. But when drawing people out of your head depends on the type of aesthetics that you are subscribing to subjectively.

Although I do agree that measuring down using a ruler is quit useless since everything proportionally speaking is relative, its better just to know what you like and go.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
♪♡
Thanks Seris!
Frostblade
Wark!

Member 676

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:31 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 05:31 PM #12 of 25
I don't really mean use exact measurements or draw a grid with it.
Just to help see better for alignments when you get into the trouble areas.

Well some artists draw game character designs up to 9 heads. Just make sure it looks good lol. Especially if they are suppose to be 2 meters tall or something.

galen

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:33 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 12:33 AM #13 of 25
Traditionally superhero characters are at 8 or 9 heads, so they tower over average folks.

Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:16 AM #14 of 25
In my defense, "Two" and "Three" are hardly misproportioned. I never show my references, so you'll have to take my word. The head on "Two" is just slightly elongated. For "Three" I intentionally made the waist smaller, but ended up not making the ass large enough. The thing about drawing in pen is that you can't take anything back.

So the first problem with "Four" is that the hip on the right is very narrow. There was some shit in the way there, and I basically just screwed it up when I extrapolated. It's funny that I'd assume the hips to be too small. As for the giant head, it's pretty obviously intentional. It was meant as an ironic characature of a bodybuilder. I probably could've said that early, but then I wouldn't have so many replies in my thread, and that wouldn't be any fun! Otherwise, the rest of the body matches up damn well with the reference.

Ai, you've clearly got a good eye for this stuff. The head and hips are actually damn near perfect. But I had the torso length correct, as I said. It may be hard to believe, but that's the way she's proportioned.

Thanks for all the links though; I'm not really up on all this technical stuff. I'm an engineer, not an artist. =P

Last edited by Will; Jan 24, 2007 at 03:28 AM.
Frostblade
Wark!

Member 676

Level 1.47

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:29 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 06:29 PM #15 of 25
So you should know that the foundations should be perfect before the pretty stuff gets put on the bridge, car, gadget, etc.

Showing reference is a good habit I think, makes you appear more upfront and honest in most other places...especially when you do realistic style.

FELIPE NO
galen

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:41 AM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 01:41 AM #16 of 25
Uh, actually, two and three are terribly misproportioned.

Her head is more than just "slightly" elongated. It's much too large. Her hand is also too small. (edit: Upon second glance, it looks like the hand is just slightly too small, but since it's next to the head it makes it look tiny)

Again, her head is too big and the hand is too small. (although both are better in this one) Her arm is too short, and her waist is ridiculous.

Also, I would seriously reconsider your position on showing your references. Posting your references allows us to make more accurate suggestions as to what you can improve. For example - the Elisha Cuthbert portrait. The head is proportionally spot-on to the photograph, but the body is too small. I noticed this only after looking at your image and the photograph side by side.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by galen; Jan 24, 2007 at 03:57 AM.
Will
Good Chocobo

Member 4221

Level 18.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 02:14 PM #17 of 25
So you should know that the foundations should be perfect before the pretty stuff gets put on the bridge, car, gadget, etc.

Showing reference is a good habit I think, makes you appear more upfront and honest in most other places...especially when you do realistic style.
You're not the first one to tell me this and you won't be the last. I shade as I go along, and I'm probably not going to change.

I prefer that you take my work for what it is and not what it was supposed to be.

Uh, actually, two and three are terribly misproportioned.
Easy now...

Quote:
Her head is more than just "slightly" elongated. It's much too large. Her hand is also too small. (edit: Upon second glance, it looks like the hand is just slightly too small, but since it's next to the head it makes it look tiny)
The hand is small because it's into the background on a wall! It's obviously throwing off your perception of her head. The head is about 10% too big.

Quote:
Again, her head is too big and the hand is too small. (although both are better in this one) Her arm is too short, and her waist is ridiculous.
This is the same girl in both pictures, so you might consider that she has a bigger head than you think. As I said, the waist was intentional, but I failed to explode the ass out far enough. I realized this immediately but there was nothing I could do. THESE WERE DONE IN FUCKING PEN. Seriously, take it easy on the criticism.

Quote:
Also, I would seriously reconsider your position on showing your references. Posting your references allows us to make more accurate suggestions as to what you can improve. For example - the Elisha Cuthbert portrait. The head is proportionally spot-on to the photograph, but the body is too small. I noticed this only after looking at your image and the photograph side by side.
Thanks for respecting my wishes! The head was an afterthought, what can I say?

I hate sounding so defensive. =( But for God's sake Galen, look at the way you're presenting your criticism as compared to the others. When you attack me like that, I'm not likely to take it well.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Will; Jan 24, 2007 at 02:18 PM.
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:35 PM #18 of 25
Will, your problem is that you are a person who refuses to take any criticism well, and this isn't the first time I've noticed it. No one is attacking you. These are people with trained eyes for things like this who are just telling you what you could do to improve your work. No one is telling you it's bad. Most artists I've known are grateful for any feedback, since what they usually get is the old, "Hey, that's great!" line every time they show their work.

And yes, they are misproportioned. I'm not even an artist and I can see that.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Alice; Jan 24, 2007 at 03:38 PM.
Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 03:53 PM Local time: Jan 24, 2007, 02:53 PM #19 of 25
In my defense, "Two" and "Three" are hardly misproportioned. I never show my references, so you'll have to take my word. The head on "Two" is just slightly elongated. For "Three" I intentionally made the waist smaller, but ended up not making the ass large enough. The thing about drawing in pen is that you can't take anything back.
They look a little more than "hardly misproportioned." Put some junk in those trunks. And since you can't take anything back in pen, do it right the first time. That's how you've gotta roll if you plan on breaking through to the next level. It's clear that you have some natural ability, but don't just stop there. You could do some pretty amazing stuff if you really immersed yourself.

How ya doing, buddy?
aiyaitsai
Bob had bitch tits.

Member 12333

Level 7.40

Sep 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 05:59 PM #20 of 25
Disappointed rant.
Spoiler:
I really dislike people who cannot take critism. It's easy to feel insulted and get defensive with your art, especially when so many people already tell you it's good, but these are not insults. And believe me, this IS easy critism. I go to forums that would bash you and your ego into the ground. Especially if you reacted that way.

With that said, okay so you wanted the head to be intentionally large in the fourth one. But you probably should've exaggerated it a bit more so that it's not half and half. Like caricature, or like this.

My changes to her body besides the head, were on preference. So sure, maybe her body really is that way. I didn't see the reference so I wouldn't know the truth. My opinion is my own.

With the other two, I KNOW what you're getting at, and I see when you're trying to use perspective and foreshortening, but it's not right. Okay so pen is final. I do love your strokes/shading and how well you handle the tool. But what stops you from using pencil next time?

If you really want to get into it and understand mistakes, go ahead and read. If not, ignore-- how well you draw or how much you improve does not affect me.
Spoiler:
Example, pose in Three, her ass would be closer to you, therefore it should be bigger than her upper body. A hand, when spread should be about the size of your face. That hand would barely cover half of hers. Hips are about as wide as your shoulders. Even at that angle her hips are definitely not right.

To number Two. Yes, foreshortening, but already her upper arm is not the right size. Again the waist. I found something almost exactly the same, but slightly different bodytype. http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...e+-in%3Ascraps

This one is good for comparing shoulders to hips.
http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/...+age_scale%3A5

edit:// V -- Heh, trust Vemp to know whether or not the boobs look wrong.

Last edited by aiyaitsai; Jan 24, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
Vemp
fuuuuuu

Member 929

Level 33.83

Mar 2006

Old Jan 24, 2007, 07:49 PM Local time: Jan 25, 2007, 08:49 AM #21 of 25
I've only seen a few of the drawings (fucking dialup), but so far here's what I think:

Strong areas: shadows/shading, likeness of the face, "clean" lines
Weak areas: proportions, foreshortening/perspective

for example, THIS drawing's head is too big (not just "slightly elongated"), and the arms are too small, and the boobs look wrong.

In comicbook/anime/manga art/style, you can exaggerate your figures, but they should still be properly proportioned.

Also, I noticed that you "attack" the criticisms given to you, don't do that. These guys are giving you advice on how to improve your art, there's nothing wrong with defending your drawing, but when one or more members start noticing your mistakes, you should accept theses mistakes. If not, you can post your in some other place where people are lot more "soft" on the comments, let's say, deviantart.

Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 26, 2007, 02:26 AM Local time: Jan 26, 2007, 12:26 AM #22 of 25
Wow, really nice work. I am especially into the ones of Elisha Cuthbert and Jennifer Love Hewitt. I thought the one of Brooke Burke looked like Mariah Carey. But good stuff, for sure.

I really liked the shading in all the drawings, that seems to be your strong point. But it's been said before and I do agree, the proportions are a little off. Don't take me wrong though, it's pretty good stuff.

Additional Spam:
Another thing I noticed in the "anabeatriz1" picture, her elbow positioning is a little off, it looks like she has two elbows.

Last edited by Shiny McShine; Jan 26, 2007 at 02:34 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > WOMEN