Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Problem deleting files

Skelerex

Member 31219

Level 2.74

Jul 2008

Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:59 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 05:59 AM #1 of 5
Problem deleting files

I recently had a power outage in my area in the middle of writing something to an external hard drive (250 GB Western Digital "MyBook", drive F). When I rebooted, everything was still in tact on the drive. I can read files, write and overwrite files, and move files to and from the drive. However, I cannot delete files directly from the drive. I get an error message saying:

"Cannot delete (file): Cannot find the specified path.

Make sure you specify the correct path."

As I thought about it more, it only made sense that it was a problem with the recycling volume if everything else was working fine. I just now tried setting up individual Recycle Bin policies for each of my drives. I set up the external drive not to use it at all; files are immediately removed. I tried to delete a file, and sure enough, it worked.

I am wondering exactly what the problem is at this point, but what I am wondering even more is how to fix it. I did a checkdisk and it said no errors were found, so I am very confused on what I can possibly do to restore Recycle Bin capabilities. I would really appreciate any help.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:07 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 09:07 PM #2 of 5
If it's an external, maybe you can just do a full format on it?

How ya doing, buddy?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Skelerex

Member 31219

Level 2.74

Jul 2008

Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:26 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 06:26 AM #3 of 5
Unfortunately, this drive is larger than my actual hard drive. I am currently using 120 GB of it. My C drive is only 150 GB, and has 37 GB remaining. It is possible, though, that I can borrow a friend's drive to house my data on temporarily. I will ask him for that favor if you really think a full format will work.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:28 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 10:28 PM #4 of 5
Well, if the drive itself is fine (aka, given a clean bill of health by chkdsk - I doubt you can run a USB external through the more rigorous SpinRite 6) then fully reformatting would do wonders. I must say it's a bit drastic, but meh, it's better than trying to go on with a faulty Recycle Bin.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Skelerex

Member 31219

Level 2.74

Jul 2008

Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:53 AM Local time: Jul 21, 2008, 07:53 AM #5 of 5
Agreed. I do not like the thought of accidentally deleting a lossless CD at the moment. Thank you for your help. I will reformat the drive. Besides, I have wanted NTFS on this drive for quite some time now.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Problem deleting files